Chapter 10

I’ll make you fall for me again

 

Author’s POV

Jiyong and Dara never had a rift this serious before. He thought a week is enough for his sweet Ssantoki to forgive him--- he thought wrong.  He attempted to approach her in many occasions but failed every time. He even connived with his friends and his sister to talk to Dara but she always manages to get away. When he managed to sneak in, she threatened to give him blue balls so he figured it’s much better to back off. What puzzles him is that days after their talk with her dad, Dara seems to be civil with him already but she totally changed few weeks after. She doesn’t even look at him now. Aisssshhhh… He can only sigh from afar.

Dara, on the other hand, cleverly tries to get Donghae’s attention but to no avail. Donghae has been deliberately ignoring her since two weeks ago. She went as low as even asking CL to be her messenger but all she gets is a simple and annoying “he said that there’s nothing wrong”. Her guts tell her that there is something wrong and she needs to find out why he’s acting all like that.

“Hey!” Bom called Dara as she walks near her. Their class just ended.

“Are we going home now?” Dara asked while packing things in her bag. Bom sits on Dara’s desk and gingerly rolled some threads of hair on her forefinger.

“Yep! Let’s go?” Bom turned to her, smiling brightly.

“Hmmmm… Can we just go somewhere first?” Dara asked hesitatingly, looking tentatively at Bom who’s eyeing her suspiciously.

“Again?!? Please don’t tell me we’ll stalk Donghae-ssi again.” She asked, really frustrated.

“We are not going to stalk him. Err-- I just want to say hi.” Dara replied.

 “Can’t you see that he’s giving you a cold shoulder? The way I see it, he’s no longer interested in you.” Bom said matter-of-factly, arms crossed.  

“It’s not like that. He --he’s just busy.” Dara stuttered, biting her lip. “CL said that Donghae told her that there’s nothing wrong going on between us.” She added defensively, avoiding Bom’s gaze.

“Well, for the record, there’s nothing wrong going on between you two because there’s absolutely nothing going on in the first place. When is it going to get through your brains? Geezzz.” Bom snapped.

“Bommah.” Dara whimpered. Damn. Why is she so brutally honest? Geezz.

“Oh puhlezze! You can do better than that.” Bom shrugged, sprinting off her desk.  

Dara bowed down, tears b in her eyes. She thought that Donghae understood her explanation when they talked a day after that incident. He even told her that he is willing to compete with Jiyong if he needs to. But he’s a totally different person now and she’s starting to get really confused.

“He’s been ignoring you for weeks already. God! There’s no acceptable excuse for that. You’re stupid if you actually believe that he’s just busy. Don’t shed a single tear for him--- totally not worth it.” Bom preached again, her words hitting right through her heart. She’s not that stupid to believe that he’s just busy of course. She’s very sure that he is purposely ignoring her, she just can’t rationalize why he’d do that.

Donghae is Dara’s first love and it seems that he’s her first heartbreak too. Had I held my hopes too high? Did I expect too much from him? Dara sadly thought.  

Bom successfully convinced Dara not to stalk Donghae again but fate seems to be working against them as another heartache ensues. They saw Donghae passing through the other side of the hallway. He was with his classmates and chatting with them cheerily. They both witnessed how he stopped and cautiously looked the other way when Dara was about to wave at him. Dara’s hand left hanging in the air, she awkwardly put it down and smiled bitterly at herself. Bom noticed how Donghae purposely ignored Dara again, but this time, it was so freaking obvious that he just did. There’s no way he can deny it now. She fumed, ready to lunge on Donghae had she not been stopped by Dara who just shook her head and walked away dejectedly. Bom gave one final glare at Donghae’s direction before dashing towards Dara to catch up with her.

For Dara, that was the final straw that broke the camel’s back. She swallowed her high and mighty pride when she started pursuing Donghae and she knows that she could do just that much. She’s not the type of girl who follows boys around just to get their attention but she did more than that for Donghae. She had enough. But her heart ing hurts, she feels crumbling inside.  So this is how it feels to be broken-hearted huh. She thought.

When Donghae was sure that Bom and Dara are already far from them, he looked back and whispered longingly “I’m sorry, Dara. I had no other choice.” He later excused himself from his friends and head straight home, confusing his classmates with his sudden behavior.

 


 

Jiyong saw an orb of a girl slumping in the gazebo. His heart started thumping hard against his chest, skipping a beat when that girl suddenly lifted her head, meeting his eyes. He walked closer until he reached her. She was flustered for a minute but smiled after wiping tears on her face.

“Kwenchana?” Jiyong started. His heart sank the moment he saw her face. The light from the nearby post illuminated her pretty face stained with tears. Her nose is so red he can tell she’s been crying for some time.

“N-neh.” Dara replied. She was determined not to talk to Jiyong for a few more weeks but she feels so vulnerable that she felt she needed his companion now more than ever.

“I heard from Bom.” Jiyong spoke again.

“Chincha?” Dara’s voice cracked. She smiled but Jiyong can tell that she’s just forcing it to conceal her feelings.

“I hope you’re no longer mad at me. And I hope you don’t mind me being here.” He said as he sits near her. They still feel awkward towards each other but they also miss each other a lot, especially Jiyong. He has not been in Dara’s house since that fateful day. Although he’s been itching to come, he would always stop near the doorstep. He just found the courage to come today when Bom said Dara’s feeling really down because of Donghae and he pretty much knows why.

“About what I did, I hope---“ Jiyong hesitated.

“Don’t mention it. I already forgave you. I actually forgave you the day after that incident.” She spoke softly and smiled afterwards as she turned at him. “I thought about it overnight and I realized that there’s no point being sour to you.” She sighed audibly. “It’s just that I still can’t get the hang of it and I became overly stubborn that I refused to talk to you right away. When I was ready to talk to you, Donghae suddenly changed towards me that I thought, had you not confessed, he might have not changed. I put all the blame to you. I blamed you for some stupid reasons and I acted so immature, mianhe.” Dara bowed her head, feeling really sorry to Jiyong.

Jiyong flinched and became uneasy, the thought of what happened between him and Donghae two weeks ago ran fast on his mind. He bowed down as he muttered under his breath. “It is my fault.” He spoke lowly. “If—if  I didn’t kiss you that day, if I didn’t let you know that I love you, if I didn’t just let my emotions get the best of me, you would not be in this situation.” He was feeling too ashamed of himself, of being too selfish, of loving her that much.

She tilted her head towards Jiyong and leaned on his shoulder, finding comfort from him. “Jiyong?”

“Hmmm?” He asked quietly.

“Is this how it really hurts? My heart hurts really badly.” She choked and started weeping again, this time she didn’t bother wiping her tears and just let them run dry.

 Jiyong became more restless and his heart sank when he heard Dara’s muffled sobs. She doesn’t remember Dara cry this much before. He wanted to pull her into an embrace but he felt unsure. He ended up just staring at her while she continues to pour her tears out. He balled his fists on his side, gripping them too tight. 

“Yah, Ssantoki, stop crying.” Jiyong said miserably as he put his arm across Dara’s back, her arm. He’s trying to console her but it sounded like he’s comforting himself more. He can’t bear seeing her this hurt so he suddenly stood up, surprising Dara. She looked up at him and momentarily stopped from crying. Jiyong offered his hand, “Stand up. Let’s go somewhere.”

“I don’t want to go. I want to stay here.” Dara hugged her knees and bowed her head.

“You are going to sulk all day and night? Yah! Stand up or I’ll drag you.” Jiyong ordered.

Dara wiped her tears and glared at Jiyong. “Can’t you see that I’m having my little moment here? I am currently nursing my broken heart, don’t drag me to your silly ideas.”

Jiyong smiled as she’s starting to warm up to him again. She’s beginning to sound like the Dara he knows well. He will push his luck a little bit more. “Nursing your broken heart? Can’t you be a little bit sensitive to my feelings? Do you think I’m a stone or something? You’re hurting me too when you’re crying hard for another man when I’m here with you. My Ssantoki has turned so insensitive, eh?” He whined playfully, earning an amused smug from Dara.

 “Bworago?” She asked. She stood up to meet his gaze, sizing him up.

 “In. sen. si. tive.” He repeated. Each word rolling in his tongue, teasing her.

“Yah!” She nudged him on his chest. Jiyong coughed because of the sudden pressure inflicted on his chest.

Jiyong retaliated and pushed her lightly, earning an annoyed look from Dara.

“Tcchhh.” She uttered in annoyance. “What a jerk! You are pissing me. Go!” She pointed towards the gate.

While she’s busy shooing him away, Jiyong took the opportunity to give her a quick peck on her cheek and ran away fast. Dara, fuming mad, didn’t waste any second and ran after him. He dashed inside the car and was about to tell Mr. Yang to drive off when the passenger door suddenly opened, revealing a panting Dara. Jiyong looked at her horridly in surprise.

Dara steered inside and slammed the door hard. She gazed at Mr. Yang. “Drive”. She instructed. She turned to Jiyong who’s sitting beside her, her eyes glaring fire.

 “Where to Sandara-ssi?” Mr. Yang managed to ask, looking at her through the rear mirror.

Jiyong was rooted on his seat. Oh boy! I’m in trouble. He thought. He wanted to climb off the car but it starting moving just in time when he reached for the door handle. Dara is still glaring at Jiyong when she talked. “Han river, please. Near Jamsu bridge. I’m going to push someone off the bridge and let him drown.”

Jiyong gulped hard as they hold an awkward staring battle, immediately regretting his deed. Mr. Yang, on the other hand, chuckled at their childish antics. “Aisshhh…kids these days.” He whispered.

When they reached the Han river, Dara literally dragged Jiyong out of the car. He was pulling his arm off Dara’s hold but she’s just gripping it tighter. He later gave up and just followed along. When Dara stopped near the riverbank, Jiyong stood in front of her, ready to be pushed off the river. He’s sure Mr. Yang will save him no matter what anyway. He scanned the view, inhaled deeply, and then closed his eyes, readying himself from Dara’s push anytime from now.

“Yah! What are you doing? Step aside. You’re taking my position.” Dara tapped his back. Jiyong creased his brow but give way nonetheless. When she took one step forward, he suddenly panicked. Is she going to jump off? He foolishly thought.

“Oh God! Are you crazy? Don’t jump! Don’t kill yourself because of just a heartbreak. Yah!” Jiyong exclaimed, terrified. He held her arm tight but Dara pulled away. She looked straight at the river, overlooking the breathtaking city lights and the magnificent Banpo bridge above Jumsu. The view always had that calming effect on her.

“I’m not going to jump, silly.” She simply said.

“Oh chincha? You frightened me. I thought---“

“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!” Dara suddenly yelled on top of her lungs, her voice reverberating in the open. Jiyong was flustered at her sudden outburst but he just observed her quietly. “My heart is now hurting bad! You should have not hurt me this way!” She shouted again, understanding dawned at Jiyong. She was talking about Donghae!

Dara paused for a moment and then yelled again, blinking away the tears forming in her eyes. “I swear I’ll find a better man, much better than you!” She exhaled then looked at Jiyong, smirked and ordered, “try it.”

Jiyong smiled back and breathed out hard. “AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Donghae-ssi, I am that man Dara was talking about!”

As soon as he finished his sentence, Dara nudged him again and pinched his arm hard. “Ouch!” He complained as he threw her a questioning look.

“Be serious.” She quipped.

“But I’m serious.” He replied innocently.

She side glared. “Not that kind of serious.”

He shrugged and looked at the river view. Dara breathed one more time. “JIYONG-AH! KOMAWOOOOO!” He looked back at her, his heart fluttered upon hearing her words. She then quietly met his gaze and smiled at him. She’s always been thankful to Jiyong but she doesn’t always let him know how thankful she is. That’s how stubborn and proud she is, all right. She breathed out loudly and faced the river once more. “Even if you’re a jerk and a kiss stealer, even if you’re childish, stupid ---“

“Stop. You don’t have to enumerate my qualities, I know them very well.” Jiyong interrupted, Dara just rolled her eyes in annoyance.

“Even if you’re this annoying, ugly and crass, thank you very much!” She yelled and then laughed out loud.

Jiyong smiled like an idiot and readied himself to shout again. “Sandara Park, even if you’re immature, spoilsport, insensitive, and brat----“

“Yah!” Dara cut in.

Jiyong just smiled and continued shouting out.“Even if you’re this impatient and crazy, even if you don’t act like a fine lady when you’re with me---“

“You want to die now?” She threatened. 

“Even if you have a poor taste in guys, I love you and I’m willing to wait until you realize I’m the one for you!” Jiyong ended. He doesn’t know how Dara will react but in any case, he prepared himself to be beaten up.

Moments passed and Dara didn’t speak a word. Jiyong can hear her breathing, devoid of reaction. When he thought she wouldn’t speak at all, he cleared his throat and was about to speak when Dara beat him to it.

“Jiyong, do you really mean what you said?” She asked earnestly, still staring at the river.

“Yes.“ He replied instantly. His voice laced with utmost confidence.

“But you know how I feel for you, right?” She paused. “You are one of the most important people to me. I consider you as a very close friend and I don't want to throw that friendship away.” She sighed.

Jiyong was still staring at her, studying her face when she continued. “I don’t think this will work if you’re going to pursue me. I just can’t see myself being your girlfriend or something. I’m too comfortable with you as a friend and I want to keep it that way.”