Chapter 04

I’ll make you fall for me again

 

Jiyong’s POV

Weeks passed quickly and things are starting to get well between me and Sohee. We’re not yet friends but at least she casually talks to me now. I never told anyone about the reason of our breakup, well except for TOP, and I’m glad Sohee kept mum about it too. I just hope everything will turn better. Things were pretty normal between me and Dara. I still go to their house once in a while and spend time with her and Bom. I’m feeling something unusual about Dara these days though. She’s always staying in her room and talking to someone over the phone. 

Since there is no school today, I thought of paying Dara a visit again. I’m gonna ask her and Bom to eat lunch with me today. I can’t help but smile upon remembering my Ssantoki. Ahhhh… I’ve been quite busy with school I don’t get to spend much time with her these days. Well, aside from the fact that she seems to be busy with other things too. Am I missing something here? I don’t really know why but I’m feeling really anxious. I was thinking of possible reasons when I suddenly recalled our past conversation.

“Mwo?” I asked in disbelief. “Who said you’re a lady, you’re still a kid.”

She slapped my hand when I tried to pinch her cheeks again.

“I’m a grown up now.” she proudly said. “Actually, I’m gonna have my first boyfriend soon and have my first kiss too.”

I unconsciously clenched my fist. She’s not seeing any guy right now, or is she? My heart is beating so hard, afraid that she’s keeping something from me. I was actually really bothered that day but I just shrugged it off, hoping that she’s just joking like she always does. But as I think about it more, Dara’s recent strange behavior is beyond puzzling. It’s not helping me calm my nerves at all. Today, I’ll find out why.

 

 

 

Bom’s POV

 

I heard the maid talking to someone who just arrived. Who could that be?

I went back to reading my science textbook, trying to memorize some terms when I felt someone’s presence. “Quinone is any similar compound containing C = O groups in an unsaturated ring.” I mumbled while tapping my pen on the table.

“Ehem.” I heard a man exaggeratedly cleared his throat.

I looked up and stared at him blankly. “Jiyong oppa, why are you here?”

“Bom, good morning to you too!” He said playfully.

“Ahh…oppa, I’m sorry. It’s just that I didn’t expect you to come today. We don’t have a schedule of tutorials today.”

“Well…” I felt his discomfort.

Ehhh?? He’s aacting weird. “Do you want to see Ssantoki?” I asked him instead.

“I came to see you two because I want to invite you for lunch. Do you want to go out?” He’s sounding unsure.

“Oh! Really? I’m actually craving for corn but I’m too lazy to go out alone.”

“If you were really craving, you could have asked one of the maids here to buy for you.” He said while looking anywhere but me, as if expecting someone’s presence.

“Hmmm.. I don’t want to bother anyone.” I am observing his actions when I suddenly remembered Dara, he might be looking for Dara! Keke. This guy, really! “Oh wait! I’ll just call Ssantoki. She’s staying in her room, she hasn’t actually gone out.”

I was waiting for him to say anything but he didn’t say any. I glanced at him and I noticed his stoned face, his knuckles turning white on his sides. I gave him a questioning look and later blurted out, “Oppa, are you okay? Is something wrong?”

He quickly regained his composure and smiled at me. “N—neh. I just thought of something. Go on, ask her. I’ll be waiting in the living room.”

“O-kay.” I said slowly. He’s acting strange. I dismissed it anyway and dashed out upstairs. 

 

 

Author’s POV

 

Jiyong went straight to the living room and sat on the sofa. He was staring into nothing in particular, seemingly in deep thought. When he learned that Dara’s staying all morning in her room, he felt uneasy again. Something’s really up with her, I’m so sure now. I’ll find out soon. He thought with determined look on his handsome face.  

“Mister Kwon, here’s your tea.” The maid suddenly said, pulling him out of his reverie.

“Ahh.. .kamsahamnida.”

“Miss Bom said that she and Miss Dara will be here in a few minutes.”

“Oh. Thank you!” he said, flashing his signature smile.

“Wel-- welcome, Sir.” She stuttered before smiling back. He looked at her and she’s blushing hard, eyes looking anywhere but him. She suddenly halted and walked away like someone’s running after her.

He just chuckled.

“Why are you chuckling there like an idiot?” Jiyong flinched as he heard Dara. Bom was giggling on her side.

“Nothing. I just thought that your maid is kinda cute.” He said amusingly.

“Mwo? You ert! You are not hitting on her, aren’t you?” Dara said with shocked face, feeling scandalized.

“Close your mouth, Ssantoki. A poor fly might go inside.” Jiyong replied coolly. “I just told you she’s cute, I didn’t tell anything about liking her or whatever. Stop overreacting. Besides, you’re the cutest person in this house.” He said while draping his arms on her shoulder, trying to lead him to the door. Dara just nudged him lightly on his chest but followed Jiyong’s lead nonetheless.

“Ya! Then what does that make me?” Bom suddenly in.

“Bommie, I know very well that you’re allergic to the adjective ‘cute’. More adjectives suit you much better.” Jiyong winked.

Ahhh. What a smooth talker.

Bom just gave him a coy smile.

 


 

Jiyong brought the pretty girls in a fine dining restaurant in one of the malls owned by the Parks. Bodyguards in civilian attire were following them discreetly, keeping their distance to the three. Dara previously requested her Appa to not let her bodyguards wear their usual uniforms because she doesn’t want to attract too much attention. Students were a bit aloof to her before because of her guards so she wanted to tone it down. Her father was so against it at first, arguing the importance of her safety. But being the stubborn girl that she is, she one day outsmarted her guards and escaped from them. She later told her Appa that she would always try to runaway if he won’t agree on her request. The conversation ended up with her triumphant smile and her dad’s defeated sigh.

“Sir, do you have a reservation?” The waiter asked Jiyong.

“Yes, three for Kwon.” He said politely. 

“Oh!” The waiter looked at them and smiled apologetically for not recognizing them earlier. “This way sir, ladies.” The waiter led them to the farthest table, giving them enough privacy. 

Jiyong mumbled his thanks.

When they have all settled in, Jiyong gave a warm smile at Bom and Dara who are sitting in front of him. He shifted his eyes towards Dara, gazing tenderly and longer than necessary. Bom did not miss it, a naughty smile forming in her lips.

“I have pre-ordered for us earlier. Don’t worry, I ordered your favorites.” Jiyong started.

“Chincha? You are really thoughtful, oppa. Kamsahamnida!” Bom replied sweetly, earning a suspicious glance from Dara.

“Ah.. Neh.” Jiyong was flustered at Bom’s sudden outburst.

Dara just remained quiet, observing the two. Bom’s up to something, she thought.

“Oppa’s really sweet, isn’t he?” Bom asked Dara.

“Hmmm…” Dara said impassively.

“But, why did you suddenly invite us for lunch?” Bom asked, turning to Jiyong. She looked intently at him, making the latter uneasy.

“I just thought of spending more time with you since I haven’t hung out with you for the past few days.”

“Ahhh.” Bom replied flatly.

“How are you two?” Jiyong asked them both but his eyes settled at Dara’s face only.

“I’m doing great!” Bom said loudly, catching his attention. “I have not yet thanked you oppa for the tutorials. I think I’d pass the exams with flying colors. Thank you very much!”

“It’s nothing. You’re not a bad student after all, Bom. But since you already mentioned it, I figured I should tell this to you now.”

“What is it, oppa?” Bom asked worriedly.

“I’m not so sure if I can still help you with your studies for the next months. You see, aside from the usual class requirements, the student council is also demanding too much time from me now… for all the school activities and stuff.”

“Is that so?” She said dejectedly.

“I’m so sorry Bom for letting you down.” Jiyong looked at her and gave her an apologetic smile.

“Ani! Don’t worry oppa, I’ll just ask someone to help me out. Maybe I’ll consider hiring a private tutor. Hmmm…Ssantoki can help me too, right Dara?

Dara jolted in her seat. “Ah. Yes.” She said.

“Don’t worry, Bom. I will ask my friends if one of them can tutor you instead.” Jiyong interjected.

“Really? You’ll do that, oppa?”

“Yeah. But don’t expect too much, arasso? I’ll tell you right away if I managed to convince one.”

“Thank you!” Bom exclaimed, showing her adorable smile.

Jiyong just smiled and gazed back at Dara. “How about you, Dara? How have you been?”

“I’ve been good. Great, actually.” She smiled timidly.

“Is there something I don’t know? You seem to be keeping something from me.”

“An--- Aniyo. My classes are doing well, that’s all.” Dara said hesitantly.

Jiyong noticed Bom frowned, nudging Dara on the side as if coaxing her to say something more. “I see.” He said impassively.   

After a moment of silence, Bom quipped.  “Actually, Dara here has something to say.”

“Mwo? I don’t have anything to say.” Dara said defensively.  

“Yes, you have.” Bom looked at Dara intently as the latter stared at her too.  

 “I don’t.” Dara said stubbornly.

“I’ll tell him myself if you don’t.”  Bom answered.

“Go ahead.” Dara said flatly.  

“Oppa…Dara is already…” Bom started. Jiyong’s eyes curiously look at them two.

“Fine!” Dara exclaimed exasperatedly. “I’ll tell him myself. Jiyong…actually…I…”

“Here’s your food, Sir, Ma’am.” The waiter announced.

They decided to drop the topic and started eating peacefully but Bom seems to be the only one enjoying the food. Dara doesn’t feel like eating because of the looks Jiyong is giving her. Jiyong, on the other hand, can’t concentrate on his food because of thoughts running widely in his mind. Oh God, just don’t make my intuition come true. He looks at Dara in every chance he can get, wondering what she was about to say awhile ago. When he can’t take it any longer, he finally asked. “So, Dara, you were saying something awhile ago?” Jiyong said, head down, pretending to be focusing on slicing the meat on his plate.

“N-neh.” She swallowed the food inside and looked tentatively at Bom, as if asking for help but Bom just shrugged, unwilling to help her out. Dara looked at Bom like she’s gonna pull her cousin's hair. Frustration written all over her face.

“You see, I’m already seeing someone. I’m see----I’m seeing Lee…Lee Donghae.” She said with trembling voice. Why am I even nervous? He’s not my dad for Pete’s sake. Calm down. “I’m actually thinking of making our relationship official in the next few weeks, I’m just waiting for the right time.” She managed to say without stammering this time.

The fork and knife fell from Jiyong’s hands followed by a loud clanking sound. Both girls gaped at Jiyong but with different reactions. Bom’s lips are forming a small smile while Dara’s the complete opposite – she’s terrified. U-oh! This is not a good sign. She thought.