Chapter 18

I’ll make you fall for me again

Dara’s POV

 

“Ms. Park?” A tall, lean, and ridiculously good-looking man in his suit approached me.

“Yes?” I asked. I stared at his beautiful eyes peering into mine. He’s so blindingly pretty that I felt like he just came out straight from a magazine spread. It’s not like I’ve never seen good looking men before, hell, I got to meet quite a lot in different social functions I’ve attended. But this man standing before me is quite an exception. Damn. He’s so pretty I could stare at him all day.

“Good morning. I am Kim Jaejoong. I am the department head of Logistics Department. It’s nice meeting you, Ms. Park.” He offered his hand and I took it for a handshake. I felt how he pressed my hand lightly and smiled at me boyishly.

“Oh hi! It’s nice meeting you too, Mr. Kim.” I smiled back as I shook his hand. This man would definitely fit the word ‘perfect’ in the looks department.

“You will be working under my supervision starting today.” He informed me as he flashed a shy smile.

I was in complete daze for a second. I shook my head lightly and scolded myself for fangirling when I should have been sticking with my purpose of coming over.

“But I thought I’d be working directly under Jiyong?” I managed to ask as I look around, scanning the area, hoping to spot Jiyong anywhere. As I look up to face Jaejoong again, I saw how he creased his brows, like figuring out what I’m trying to say. I didn’t speak alien, did I?

“The HR informed me that you will be assigned at LD, no one mentioned me about you working or transferring in the CEO’s office afterwards. Do you want me to have it checked again?” He asked worriedly.

Maybe Jiyong did not really want me to work close to him. “Ahhh. Ani! No need for that. I’ll be working in your division then.” I turned back to him and forced a smile. He nodded and led me to the nearest lift.

As we go inside, he stood comfortably beside me, pressed 22, and explained. “The whole floor is for our Department as well as the 21st. The 23rd floor is the CEO’s office while the 20th is for Product Development. We have three units at LD; I’ll be assigning you to lead one of those units. I will just show you your cubicle, after that, you have to go back to the HR office in fourth floor for the briefing about the company and its structure. One of them would probably tour your around so that you’ll get familiar with each floor and some key officials here.”

“Thank you, Mr. Kim.” I said politely. Upon learning that Jiyong’s office is just one floor above us, I can’t help but feel hopeful. I’m technically close to him although… not really.

He cleared his throat and rubbed the back of his neck. “Umm…You can just call me Jaejoong if you want.”

“Ahhh. Then…ummm…you can call me Dara.” I murmured.

“Will it be really okay?” He asked expectantly. Jaejoong looks really approachable but quite coy. 

“Of course.” I answered casually and then focused my eyes at the elevator numbers in front of me. It was really awkward to be alone with a handsome stranger in an elevator. After a moment, I caught Jaejoong stealing glances at me. I chuckled lightly and eyed him curiously. “Why?”

“Hmmm… can I ask you something?” He asked.

“Sure.”                                                                                                            

“Well…everyone knows that you’re an heir. And we…we are actually wondering why you’d work in here when you can easily work as top official in your company. I’m sorry if I sound like I’m prying, but everyone’s really curious, well…including me.” I saw how he became kinda tensed as he slightly leaned backwards.

I turned to face him and asked worriedly. “Are you being burdened that I will work in your division?”

“Ani. Please don’t take it as that.” He replied apologetically that I almost felt bad for him.  

I heaved a deep sigh. “I wanted to work here to train. I don’t want to disappoint my appa if he’d give me responsibilities I can’t handle. I want to make sure I’m well-trained so I asked Jiyong for favor.”

“I see. You remind me of your cousin, Bom-ssi.” He smiled kindly. “She said the same thing during one assembly meeting…you know, proving herself and such.” I heard him speak. As I glance at him, I can tell that he’s still feeling uneasy. If he would be my immediate supervisor, then he might be feeling burdened to boss me around. 

“I’m sorry Jaejoong-ssi if you don’t feel comfortable giving me instructions. But I can assure you, I’ll try my very best at work.”  

“Ahhh. Neh.” He nodded and smiled again.

We heard the elevator pinged and it opened. I scanned the whole office and I breathed out, readying myself to meet my officemates.

“Let’s go?” I heard him ask.

 

 


 

 

 

“How’s work so far?” Bom asked as soon as she joined me in my table. I’m on my second day of work and Bom, who is by the way the new head of the Marketing Department, asked me out for lunch.

“Good but it’s a bit boring. Should we order first?” I asked her.

She scrunched her nose and then nodded. I called the attention of the waiter and placed our order. After the waiter left, Bom bombarded me with questions.

“Boring?”

“Neh. My new officemates are all very friendly but I think they don’t really want me to work. And Jaejoong-ssi is being too nice, I’m starting to doubt he’d give me actual tasks to work on.” I pouted. I really like Jaejoong being approachable and friendly but if he’d continue acting as such, I might not really be well-trained. If he won’t ask me to do anything, that would basically defeat my purpose. But maybe he’s just warming up. I just hope he’d be of great help to me.

“Ohhh. Jaejoong oppa huh. What can you say about him?” Bom wiggled a brow, obviously prying.

“I told you, he’s nice.” I answered nonchalantly.

“And gorgeous. Dear, you forgot ‘gorgeous’.” She giggled.

“Yeah. Gorgeous.” I replied guiltily as I remembered how I stupidly gawked at him on our first meeting.

Bom, on the other hand, grinned like an idiot. “And dashing.” She added.

“Yeah. Dashing.” I agreed mindlessly while nodding. I saw how she smiled foolishly. “Ya, do you have a thing for him?” I asked her.

“I thought you wouldn’t ask.” She sniggered and then giggled like a school girl reminded of her crush. “He’s actually my sunbae in college and a lot of girls were fangirling over him. I used to be one of those girls. But after he graduated, I have kinda forgotten about him. Just imagine my surprise when I saw him again in the office and learned that he’s also a Head.” She answered.

“Chincha? Why haven’t I heard about him back in the university then?” I murmured.

“He’s two years our senior. He’s a shy type kind of guy so you probably didn’t really see him then.”

“Is he single?” I asked.

“Verrrryyyy.” Bom answered.

I furrowed my brows. “Is he you know…straight? Cause it is quite unbelievable that he’s single considering how a good catch he is.”

“I actually thought about that too. But last thing I heard, he had a long time relationship and just broke up recently…like few months ago I think. So, yeah…he’s pretty much straight.” She gossiped.  

I mouthed an ‘O’ and shifted my eyes to the other group of customers going in.

“Ya, Bommah. Isn’t that TOP oppa?” I asked her.

 “Really?” Bom asked excitedly. She was about to turn around to see him but I stopped her. I held her arm tightly and she looked at me quizzically. TOP has a company, a young petite girl, clinging on him. He has his arms wrapped around the girl’s shoulder and they were laughing, obviously enjoying themselves. They were ushered towards the second floor of the restaurant.

“A girl… “ I trailed as my eyes squinted to TOP oppa and the girl. Is he into high school students now? She looks really young. “Bom, don’t…please don’t look.” I stuttered.

But it was late. Bom has already turned her back only to see TOP and the girl. Her eyes widen from surprise, promptly understanding the situation. She gasped for air and I saw her clasp her fists in her lap. She bowed her head down slowly--- her hands and lips were trembling.

I look at her in pity and worry. “Bommah…” I called softly.

“I’m all right.” She said weakly as she lifted her head to meet my eyes. Tears are starting to spring on her eyes but I can tell that she’s pulling heavens and hell to hold them back. She wiped her tears abruptly and forced a smile but her pouring tears gave her away. I felt her pain that I’m almost about to cry too. I wanted to hug and comfort her but I can’t move on my spot too. I’m as shocked as she is.

This is not the first time that we saw TOP oppa with another girl but the last time was a very long time ago. It’s either he momentarily stopped womanizing then or we’re just unaware of it. Seeing him with another woman now, it’s highly likely that it’s the latter.

“Should we just leave and go to other restaurant? Hmmm?” I asked her in low voice. She just nodded and helplessly stood up. I left some cash on the table and followed her quickly.

“Bommah, wait up!” I called out.

 

 

 

 

TOP’s POV

 

We were ascending the stairs when I suddenly heard someone calling Bom. I quickly scanned the restaurant but didn’t find her. I shrugged as I realized I might have just imagined it.

“Oppa, is something wrong?” Hayi asked as she tugged my arm lightly.

“Ahh..Nothing.” I smiled at her and she smiled back sweetly. I can’t help but pinch her cheek.

“Ya, oppa!” She whined as she touched her cheek. I laughed at her childishness.

As we settled in our seats, the waiter approached us almost instantly.

“Mr. Choi, Ms, Lee, would you like to have the usual?” He asked.

 “Neh. The usual please.” I told him. Hayi likes eating in this restaurant that she would demand me to eat here almost every week. We became regular customers of the restaurant.

I stared at her as she tries to get something from her bag. I can’t tell if she’s just searching or already rummaging with the way she pulls her things out of her bag.

“What are you looking for?”

“My phone.” She answered casually, eyes still focused on her bag.

“I’ll ring it.” I answered as I fished out my phone from my pocket. I was about to dial her number when she suddenly beamed.

“Found it!” She quipped as she fiddled it in the air, showing me. I gaped at her obvious display of silliness. She is really a breath of fresh air. I just met her three years ago although I’ve heard a lot about her since many years ago. I’m glad I met her. She made my life much more worth living for.

“Oppa, you don’t have to stare at me like that. I know I’m really pretty you can’t have enough.

I chuckled at her playfulness. “Hayi, you know that you’re one of the prettiest girls I know.”

“I should be.” She winked at me but her wink looked really forced and awkward. She was trying to act cute but failed miserably.

I burst out laughing as I saw her pout, embarrassed at what she just did. “I wish I can see you everyday. You never fail to amuse me.”

“You should laugh more often. Look at you, you look really old now. I can see your wrinkles from here. Tch. It’s a good thing you get to meet me like today, you imbibe my youthful image. It gives you a lot of favor you know.” She bragged.

“You should meet me more often then.” I told her, very pleased.

I was expecting her to say something funny but she turned serious. She sulked like she’s upset about something, making me worried.

“Hey.” I cooed.

 “Oppa, I told omma about… about us meeting regularly and…and I don’t think she likes it.” She stuttered.

“She does?” I asked bitterly.

“Neh. She checked my cellphone and managed to read our messages. Mianhe, oppa. I think she’s just concern about me having…”

“I understand. Is this our last time seeing then?” I asked, saddened. It’s not like Hayi and I meet every day, why forbid us?

“Of course not! I would still see you, oppa. It’s just that…I might not see you as often as we used to.” I saw her grasped her bag tightly. I know that this set up doesn’t sit well with her too but I can’t really do anything about it.  

I sighed, feeling resigned. “I will miss you.”

She slowly lifted her head to meet my gaze and smiled weakly. “You know that I’ll miss you too oppa.”

I didn’t reply and just wait for her to say more. Not being able to see her again is truly upsetting.

“Umm.. Oppa? Have you heard about Taeyeon unnie? She called me the other day. She said she’s coming back from Japan.” She later asked.

I rubbed my temple. I feel like I’ll be having a headache in no time. Bad news just keep coming today.

“She’s still not contacting me.” I answered slowly.

“Maybe she’s still mad. You shouldn’t have done that.”

“I know… but she refuses to hear me out and let me explain.”

“You know that neither of us should meddle on her personal affairs. Geezz. You’re worse than her mom.” She said knowingly, concern and guilt written all over her pretty face.

“I know…it’s just that…” I breathed out.

“I guess women just keep giving you headache huh.” She chuckled, joking to lighten the mood.

“You’re one of them.” I replied as I gaze at her, she just pouted in return.

“Aissshhhhh.” I grunted, messing my hair in frustration. Why is my life this ing complicated?  

“Oppa.” She called out softly, trying to reach out to hold my hand.

 

 

 

 

Dara’s POV

 

“You called for me?” I asked as I walk inside Jiyong’s office one morning.

He was busy reading some documents and didn’t even look up to see me. Thinking that it’s not convenient for me to barge in at this moment, I started walking my way out. Maybe I should just come back again later. As I took three steps away, he suddenly speak.

“Tomorrow is your graduation, right?”

I slowly turned around to face him. He’s still looking down at the documents, scribbling something on it.

“Neh.” I answered.

“I couldn’t attend because I have an important appointment in the afternoon. But I’ll be joining the group for the celebration. It’ll be at Noise Basement, right?” He looked up at me, wearing a tired expression.

I nodded. Although I am glad that he will come to the party, I still felt sad that he won’t be able to make it for my graduation ceremony. I suddenly remembered his graduation and how we celebrated it together last year. I exhaled deeply and then turned around, thinking that he has nothing else to say.

“Hey, why are you leaving?”

I stopped on my tracks and turned around to face him again. “Ehhh??” I asked, dumbfounded.

“Are you planning to just walk away on me just like that? I’m not even finished talking yet. Ya, this yeoja.” He complained while huffing air, now standing up.

“Pff. What is it then?” I asked. “Do you want me to stay here all day to watch you? This namja. Chincha.” I gritted my teeth in frustration, disbelieving what this guy is up to. “You wouldn’t even ask me how I’m doing on my first day of work. You only asked to see me today..just today! I came here excited thinking that you would finally talk to me but what did I get? You asked me to go here just to tell me you’re not coming? Tch. You jerk.” I snorted.

I breathed out deeply after my outburst.

I saw him stare at me in shock. I, too, did not expect that I’d be able to say that. When what I said finally dawned to him, he later chuckled which broke into fits of laughter.

I look at him incredulously. “Ya, what’s funny!” I yelled.

“Did you say all that because you’re disappointed that I couldn’t attend your graduation?” He asked with impish smile, looking amused.

I was tongue tied. I just indirectly told him I wanted him to be there, right? Right? Aissshhh. “Whatever.” I rolled my eyes to cover my embarrassment.

 “You’re still the same.” He said as he gazed at me, his warm smile brightening his face.

Oh, God, I really missed Jiyong. I thought as I see his bright smile again.

I stared at his face for God knows how long. Neither of us talking. I don’t really know if me being the same is a good thing or a bad thing. Is it a good thing?

As silence filled the room, I awkwardly turned my gaze away and coughed. “Umm. I’ll go ahead.” I said as I back away.

“Wait.” He called.

I stopped and observed him as he bends over his table to take something. It looks like a cage. He then walked towards me and hand me the pink plastic cage without saying anything, inside it is a sleeping tiny kitten.

I gazed at it and then looked up to meet his eyes. “Why?”

“Just take it. It’s my graduation gift.” He said coolly.

I was speechless. I just stared at the cage he’s giving and took it from him, without saying a word.

“I remembered when we were children, you always insist of staying in the pet shop.” He added.

A smile slowly formed in my lips as I remember our childhood. I always drag him in pet shops and cry whenever he asks me to go home. I wanted to buy a pet then but appa wouldn’t let me, telling me that I am not yet responsible and mature to take care of a pet properly. I lifted my head to look at his face.  

“It’s a Bengal cat. You like it?” He asked as he peers into my eyes. I still can’t utter a word so I just nodded in reply.

“When I got him, it already has a name. His name is Dadoong. Take good care of him, all right?” He asked again.

I felt my heart pounding wildly against my chest. I’m over the moon and was deeply touched. I pounced on him and hugged him tight, startling him. “Thank you, Jiyong. Thank you!”

Skinship was never an issue to us before and returning a hug comes almost naturally. But not today… because Jiyong did not move on his spot to return my embrace. Realizing it, I awkwardly step back and bowed my head. “I’m…I’m sorry. I just got carried away.”

He cleared his throat. “It’s…it’s fine.”

“Umm.. Do you have anything else to say?” I lifted my head and tried to smile.

He stepped closer and patted my head gently. “Congratulations.”

 

 

 

 

Bom’s POV

 

I slightly flinched as I heard the door in my room clicked. I still haven’t recovered from what happened the other day. I refused to talk to TOP oppa the last two days, pretending that I’m busy with work. I also did not return his calls and we haven’t seen each other since. A part of me doesn’t want him to come over but another stupid part of me wants him to stay with me right now.

Every time I would find out that he sees another girl, I just blindly dismiss it in my mind although the pain is almost unbearable. I always try to reason that he still stays here with me anyway. I never mustered the courage to confront him every time. But I don’t know if I can still endure this set up. I’m starting to feel numb. I feel like wanting to give up already.

I pretended not see him and just continued putting my night cream. He quietly walked towards me and kissed me on the cheek. “I missed you.” He whispered as he kissed my hair.

My lips trembled. I bit my inner cheek to hold back the tears that are threatening to fall. 

“Hmmm..” I didn’t say anything and just let out a small smile.

“Tomorrow is your graduation, right. Do you want me to be there? I can cancel my schedule if you want.” He asked as he stood up and took his suit and tie off. I know that he’s looking at me but I focused on my reflection in the mirror.

“There’s…there’s no need really. If you already have a schedule, you don’t need to cancel it.” I tried to speak naturally but my voice slightly cracked.

I shifted in my seat to distract myself. He moved closer and looked at me through the mirror. “Are you all right? You look pale.”

“Ahh..neh. I’m just really tired.” I said, turning away from his gaze. I hurriedly walked towards the bed and lay, covering myself with the blanket. I closed my eyes tightly, controlling the tears from falling. I then turned to my side, my back facing him.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” He asked as he slowly sat beside me, caressing my arm. I felt the bed bounced slightly at his movement.

“Nothing. I’m just really tired. I need to sleep early tonight, I have to be at the school early tomorrow.” I answered dismissively. I really wanted to ask him about what we saw but I’m really afraid to hear his answer. I wiped the side of my eyes as tears flow on my pillow.  

For whatever it is that’s about to happen, I am not ready yet. I am not. Just the thought of the inevitable parting is making me down and weary. I closed my eyes again, stifled my sobs, and tried to drift to sleep.

 

 

 

Author’S POV

 

Something about Bom’s actions is making TOP worried. He stared at Bom’s face and tucked her hair behind her ear, she was in deep slumber.

He heaved a deep sigh as he stares at her peaceful face. She was acting strange since two days ago and he can’t reckon why… but his guts tell him something is up. He noticed how she turned cold to him the past days and she seems to be always in deep thought. Not now, Bom. Please, not soon. He thought as he looked at her, sullen and conflicted.

He checked his wrist watch, it’s 6 o’clock in the morning. He sat up and glimpse again at Bom’s sleeping state. Although he doesn’t want to leave Bom without settling their issue, he has to fetch Taeyeon from the airport in a little while. I’ll talk to her later, he thought.

He took the small velvet box from the inside pocket of his suit and stared at it briefly. He opened it slowly, revealing a beautiful diamond-accent necklace. It’s his graduation gift for Bom.

He took his phone and quickly typed a text message to Bom before leaving her pad.

 

From: TOP

 

Good morning, y. I left my graduation gift at your bedside table. Wear it later..hmm? It’d definitely look good on you. Congratulations. I’ll see you later.

 

 


 

 

Dara woke up in a start. It’s her graduation day. After the grueling four years of college, she’s finally graduating.

She rubbed her eyes as the morning sunrays lit her room. She opened her eyes and saw Hoori pulling the curtain aside. When Hoori noticed her awake, she smiled and greeted her. “Good morning, Ms. Dara. Congratulations on your graduation. It is a good day today, isn’t it?” She asked cheerily. 

“Good morning too, Hoori. And thank you.” Dara murmured in hoarse voice, still sleepy. Hoori is Dara’s most trusted maid. Since their age is almost the same, she’s most comfortable to her than to any other house help they have.

“Hmmm..” Hoori mumbled as she drew closer to Dara who’s trying to sit down in her bed.

Dara looked at her in curiosity. Her eyes widen as she saw Hoori holding a framed cross stitched image of her.

“Omo!” She gasped as Hoori shyly hand it to her. Tears started b in her eyes as she held the image and stared at it.

“Oh, Hoori-yah! Kamsahamnida!” Dara suddenly pulled Hoori and hugged her tightly. Her tears spilling in her eyes. She thought of how Hoori must have dedicated a lot of time and effort to finish it. Her heart was deeply touched, appreciating Hoori’s efforts and kindness.

“Aigoo. Ms. Dara, don’t cry.” Hoori cooed and tapped Dara’s back, but she too is almost in the verge of crying.

 Dara let her go and then took the image again--- admiring Hoori’s cross stitching skills.

“You must have had a hard time finishing this. Thank you, Hoori.” She said as she gaze at her.

“Congratulations again, Ms. Dara.”

Dara nodded happily. She later felt small movements on her bed and noticed her kitten moving, also newly awake.

“Aigoo…we have woken up Dadoong-ah.” Dara said as she took Dadoong and pat it.

“Oh! How adorable!” Hoori exclaimed as the kitten purred at Dara’s touch.

“Jiyong gave him to me.”

“Chincha?” Hoori asked, delighted. She also knows about Dara’s feelings for Jiyong.

“Neh. He’s cute isn’t he?” Dara asked as she tried to tickle Dadoong.

 “Umm..the kitten or the one who gave it to you?”

Dara giggled. “Both.”

 

 


 

 

 

“Good morning, appa!” Dara greeted as she bends over to kiss Sung yoon’s cheek, joining him for breakfast.

“Good morning darling.” He greeted. “Did you just wake up?”

“Neh.”

“So, what are your plans after your graduation?” Sung yoon asked as Dara settled on her seat across him. She took one slice of bread and sipped her morning coffee. Sung yoon was silently observing her.

“Well, it would be really great if Jiyong will finally agree to be my boyfriend.” Dara answered casually as she took another bite of sandwich, teasing her appa.

“Honey, be serious.”

Dara giggled. “But I’m being serious.”

Her appa knows about her growing feelings for Jiyong. It’s actually him who helped her realize her feelings more.

But Sung yoon is still unaware that his daughter is currently working in Jiyong’s company. He is very supportive of her decisions but aggressively pursuing a guy, even if it’s Jiyong for that matter, is not in Sung yoon’s book. Dara is sure that she’d get scolded had he learn about it. And since she can still hide it from her appa, Dara figured that it would be best not to tell him just yet. But she’d tell him someday…eventually.

“You should start working in the company. What do you think?” Sung yoon suggested.

“Appa.. you know my stand on that. I’m not yet ready.”

“But honey, you know that I’m already getting old. I would want you to be actively involved in the decision making of the company. Its future and you’re future depend on…” He tried to reason out only to be cut in by Dara.

“Appa...”  Dara softly called, head bowed down. It isn’t the first time Sung yoon persuaded his daughter to join him in the company.

Seeing the sad look in Dara’s face, Sung yoon decided to drop the topic, feeling resigned. “All right. All right. I won’t ask you again. Just tell me when you’re ready. Arasso?”

Dara slowly lifted her head and met her appa’s gaze. She nodded and smiled tiredly, feeling guilty for lying to her appa. “Komawo, appa.”

Her dad smiled at her warmly. “You better get moving. You might be late in your preparations.” He told her as he stood up, picking up the newspaper in his lap.

“Neh.” She smiled again and focused on her breakfast.

After a short while, Sung yoon spoke again after clearing his throat. “Uhum…Dara, you will find your gift outside. Take care of it, all right? And be careful.”

“Neh?” She asked, brows creasing.  

“Range rover.” He simply said and winked at her which brought so much glee to Dara’s heart.

Dara stood up abruptly. “Chincha? Chincha? Omo! Chincha? Thank you, appa. You’re jjang!”

“Ahhh. I’ve spoiled my daughter, eh?” He looked at her who is now clinging on his arm.

She looked up and smiled brightly at him. “Komawo.”

“All for you darling.” Sung yoon replied dotingly.

*Beep

*Beep

Dara slowly inched away from her dad and fished her phone from her pocket and checked it. Sung yoon furrowed his brows in curiosity as he saw Dara smiled widely upon reading her text. Dara looked up to meet her dad’s curious gaze.

“Who?” He asked.

“Minzy.” She answered.

“Ahhhh.”

“Appa, I’ll be staying out late later. I’ll celebrate with my friends. Let’s just celebrate some other day, all right? My treat.” She beamed.

Sungyoon just nodded in reply.

Dara let go of her grasp and hopped towards the stairs.  “Oh. I’m excited!!!” Dara squealed while twirling and humming a happy song.

Her dad just watched her in curiosity, contemplating what his daughter is up to.

 


 

 

From: Minzy

 

Unnies, good morning! ~^.^~  chukahamnida. I’m so happy for all of you. I’ll see you later eh? I have organized everything. I will meet you at NB, 7 pm sharp.

Dara unnie, good luck later. ^.^ Jiyong oppa confirmed that he’s coming. Pyongg!

 

 


 

 

A/N:

 

I’m so sorry I had to postpone the execution of Bom’s brilliant plan for Dara and Jiyong. Please wait until next chapter, eh?

 

Anne, I dedicate this update to you. You're jjang too! kekeke :)