Chapter 01

I’ll make you fall for me again

Author's POV

 

Two men are looking at the two kids joyfully playing in the living room, unaware of their presence.

“I feel really bad for my daughter, Taehyun. She’s still so young but already deprived of a mom’s love.” Park Sung Yoon said sadly, pain obvious in his face as he remembers his late wife, Jihoon.

“I know that you’re hurt too.  Just give yourselves time. You’ll both move on.” The other man said, tapping his shoulder.

“Yeah. I hope so. Dara’s so close to Jihoon... but now she only got me. How can I fill in Jihoon’s love for her?“

“You’ll find a way. You always do. And besides, there’s my son.” Kwon Taehyun smiled warmly.

“I can see that.”  He smiled too. “Thank you Taehyun for bringing Jiyong here. I hope they’ll be good friends.”

“I think they will be. My son seems to be so fond of her. Look!” He chuckled, looking at his son pinching little Dara’s cheeks.

“Hmmm... about that. Can I make a selfish request?” He slowly said, calculating.

“What is it?” The other man asked, brows creasing.

“Can you bring Jiyong here often? Just to, you know… make my Dara happy. I’m not always at home and I’m afraid she’ll feel lonely.”

“Oh, that. Of course! We’ll bring him here often.”

“Thank you, Taehyun. Thank you very much.” He said, feeling grateful to his old friend.

 


 

Dara's POV

 

After several years…

 

“Hey!”

I heard a familiar voice called but I stubbornly ignored him, refusing to look at his direction. I’m sitting inside our gazebo, holding a photo album and looking at some old pictures with my mom. Oh God! How I miss her. I quickly wiped the side of my eyes.

When I finally decided to look up, I saw Jiyong walking towards me. He’s smiling like an idiot. Ha!  He seems to be in a very good mood now huh, should I piss him a little?

I stare at him as he walks so coolly. I must say, my childhood friend’s kinda handsome.  Oh, all right. VERY handsome. But I really don’t understand why most women in our school are acting like stupid fangirls whenever he’s around. Don’t they know how annoying he can be? What’s up with those girls? I just don’t get it. Or yeah…maybe I would never understand what they see in him. I was actually a bit surprised when he one day cheekily told me that he’s gotten himself a girlfriend.

Ahhh… That girl, Sohee. I can’t help but frown whenever I remember her. She’s really strange. She’s known as a sweet, fragile, and friendly girl in our school but she’s all snobby whenever we meet. I never liked her from the very start but I still tried to reach out to her for Jiyong. I know Jiyong would be happy if we’ll get along well but she seemed uninterested. So I just gave up. She’s not that much worthy of my time, anyways. I once told Jiyong about her cold treatment but he just shrugged it off. He told me I’m just not used to her presence. Yeah. Maybe he got a point but heck! I still don’t like that girl. She has an irritating vibe that I just can’t tolerate.

“Hey!” I heard him say while nudging me, pulling me out of my reverie.

“Ya! Why are you here again? You keep on coming here. Do you think this is your house or something?” I snorted. “And wipe that smile off your ugly face. It’s irritating me. Gahhhh!” I exaggeratedly sighed while rolling my eyes.

He laughed, much to my annoyance.

“Ehhh??” He said, amusement evident in his face. “My cute little Ssantoki missed me huh. You missed oppa?” He playfully said while pinching my cheeks.

“Ya! Dare pinch me again and I’ll…. I’lll…”

“You’ll what?” He cut me off, daring me to continue.

“I’ll tell, Appa! Oh yes, I’ll tell him! You’ll see.” I said while glaring.

“You’re such a kid.” He teased. 

I rolled my eyes again.

“And how many times do I have to tell you that you should call me oppa. I’m older than you.” He said like a preaching ahjussi.

“Whatever. It’s not as if you’re acting like you’re older anyways.” I stubbornly said.

He laughed again. “Why are you being snotty so early in the morning? I saw you looking sad, then smiling, then crunching your nose looking all annoyed, then rolling your eyes, then smiling again while I was walking near you. You should have seen your face with the sudden changes in your expression.  You were hilarious. Did all the screws in your head finally let loose? Or…. is it just the day of the month?”  He nudged me again, smirking evilly. 

All along I was pretending not to listen. I was successful in my pretense… well, until he said that last question.

“KWON JIYOOOONNNNGGGG!” I yelled on top of my lungs.  

“How can you ask that to me so casually? Why are you embarrassing me like this!” I stood up, feeling pissed right now. I was supposed to annoy him, not the other way around.

I breathed hard while looking at his amused face. “I’m giving you time to run now…” I paused, gritting my teeth. “Because if I catch you, I’ll scratch that annoying face of yours so freaking hard no one would even recognize you!” I exclaimed, my cheeks are now burning red.  

“Oh come on, Dara.” He said like he’s not affected at all. “We’ve been together for God knows how long. We even bathe together when we we’re young.  Why are you feeling embarrassed? It’s not like I didn’t see everything already.”

Oh, God. He is really trying to ruin my day.  Someone, please remind me again why he’s my friend. Please?

I’m trying to control my temper now. I wouldn’t let him ruin my entire day. I wouldn’t let him ruin my entire day. I repeated in my mind like a mantra.

I heaved a sigh. “Don’t say those things again and never tell anyone about that too. I’m a grown up lady now, you see.”

“Mwo?” He asked in disbelief. “Who said you’re a lady, you’re still a kid.”

I slapped his hand when he tried to pinch me again. I took steps away from him while stomping my feet, my back facing him. “I’m a grown up now.” I proudly said. “Actually, I’m gonna have my first boyfriend soon and have my first kiss too.” I smiled as I remember Donghae.

I was waiting for his reply but he didn’t say any. Yeah. That’s a bit surprising. He always has something to say for rebuttal. I looked back at him, he’s got no reaction at all. Wow, that’s something new.  I shrugged and just started walking away, leaving him on his spot.

“Wait up!”  I soon heard him.

 


 

Jiyong's POV

 

I saw her walking away. I can’t seem to move when I heard her say those words. I clenched my fist and gritted my teeth. Those words surely caught me off guard. Is there something happening to her now that I do not know? Why is she suddenly talking about those things? Is she really serious about having a boyfriend? I don’t even know anyone courting her. Ugh!

“Wait up!” I called. She didn’t stop though. She continued walking as if she’s not hearing me. Did I go too far when I started annoying her? I walked fast, almost running, trying to catch up with her.

“What?” She snapped when I tried touching her elbow.

“Ahhh…hmmmm…” I was suddenly lost for words.

She’s sending me weird looks now. Aissshhhh. I cleared my throat.

“About what you just said…are you… are you…”

“Yes. I’m serious.” She said, cutting me off.

“Chincha?” I acted surprised. “I pity that guy, whoever he is.” I nonchalantly said.

She shot me glares, making me laugh. Geezz. My  Ssantoki’s really cute. I smiled at her while putting my arm around her shoulder. “I’m just kidding, don’t be upset, okay?”

“Whatever! Why are you here anyway?” She shot an impatient side-glance. 

“Oh about that…I have a surprise for you.”

“Really?” She looked excited, totally forgetting her annoyance. Cute!

“Well, yes. So you better treat me well. Else, I would not let you see my surprise.” I said teasingly. 

“Oh come on! Who are you kidding! You always end up showing your surprise no matter how I treat you.”

I chuckled. This girl really has ways on me. “Fine!” I said. “So, are you coming or not?”

“I am. So, where is it this time?” She said coolly but her lips are already forming a tight smile. I know she’s just trying to hide her excitement but fails miserably.

“Let’s go. You’ll soon find out.” I led her to the car parked in their garage, my arms still resting in her shoulder.  

I opened the passenger seat of my car and a loud squeal followed almost instantly.

“SURPRISE!” A pretty girl shrieked while jumping off the car.