are we tHere YET?

Make the Best of It

Idols... never rest.

 

 

"Jiyong, the album is done. We're officially launching Big Bang's comeback now."

 

 

"Dara, have you finished all the paperwork?"

 

 

"Jiyong, wake up."

 

"Again. And this time, you girls are singing along, arraso?"

 

 

"Three more sets Jiyong."

 

 

"Dara, Bom's voice isn't doing as well as last week."

 

 

"What time does Big Bang's practice start today?"

 

 

"Minzy needs to spend more time on her GED. She-"

 

 

"Get it together Big Bang, you all have only five days to get this down!"

 

 

"Dara, CL needs to work on her-"

 

 

"Hurry up! Your photo shoot is in twenty minutes, Big Bang!"

 

 

"2ne1 needs this in order to debut, Director!"

 

 

"Ji-"

 

 

"Dara-"

 

 

"Big Bang, over here!-"

 

 

"Dara-"

 

 

"Jiyong-"

 

"Dara-"

 

 

"G-Dragon, now-"

 

"Dara!"

 

 

"Annyonghaseyo, we're Big Bang!"

 

~

 

 

July and August flew by quickly for the couple. Dara was determined to debut 2ne1 as soon as possible while Jiyong promoted his best for Big Bang's success. Still, Jiyong had more on his plate compared to Dara. Dara watched all Big Bang's performances and visited their waiting room at a few times. Whenever she visited, she would bring in healthy, home cooked meals Coach Hwang would approve of.  Dara would joke around and talk to the members to ease their tension or to just give them a laugh. She unknowingly became Big Bang's vitamin, their dose of relief.

Luckily for the couple, Dara was a smart cookie. She knew when to make an appearance and when to stay hidden. If she made meals for the boys and she couldn't personally give it to them, she would pass them onto Big Bang's manager. She never stayed too long in the waiting room and was never seen by the cameramen. She was just that awesome.

And this continued as September and October came. The boys were exhausted with their packed schedules but they were delighted whenever Dara stopped by. They were promoting their runner up 'Remember album' soon but their first 'Number 1' album was out in Japan. Album promotions, variety shows, music shows, radio talk shows, late night practices, and ungodly hours of recordings. Big Bang was walking zombies by the time November and December crawled in. The boys were very thankful and appreciative that Dara stuck by them for the past few crazy months.

 

--

 

“Yongbae! Great job out there! You were amazing!” Dara jumped into his arms. Yongbae barely caught her. Yongbae chuckled and returned her hug.

“Thanks Noona!” Yongbae gave her his eye smile. Dara flashed her smile.

Big Bang has just finished their performance on Music Core and was walking to their waiting room to rest up before leaving.

“Ya, Tom! Get over here!” In a flash, Dara was out of his arms and into Seungri’s. She tackled Seungri like she did with him. Seungri welcomed her bearhug. He wrapped his arms around her and squeezed her.

“Okay! Enough! I have three other’s to greet Tom!” Seungri released her and she pounced onto her next victim, Top. Seungri and Yongbae watched her greet each Big Bang member with her hugs.

“Ne, Kamnsamnida! You’ve all worked hard!” The two Big Bang members thanked the staff members. The staffs returned their greetings. Big Bang and Dara walked into Big Bang’s waiting room and spotted Dara’s container boxes.

“Ja! I made food for you all! Enough for you five and the staff members! Unnies! Come and get some please!” Dara chirped. Everyone gathered around the small table filled with Dara’s cooking.

“Hyungsu Nim! This taste good!” Seungri complemented. He stuffed another spoon full into his mouth.

“Like usual. Thank you so much Hyungsu Nim!” Daesung gave her hug in appreciation. Seungri and Daesung has gotten use to calling her Hyungsu Nim and Dara has gotten used to hearing it from them.

“Of course, anything for my boys.” Dara grinned.

“Please do not hesitate for seconds! I’m only content when my containers are emptied!” Dara noticed some of the staffs have already finished their plates. The staffs nodded to her and thanked her for the food.

“Boram!” Dara called for Big Bang’s manager. Boram was on the couch, bored.

“Ne? You want me to do it like usual right?” Boram asked lazily.

“Of course, please and thank you Boram!” Dara patted his head.

“Arrasso, It’ll be at the same place.” Dara nodded. She surveyed the room, trying to spot a Big Bang member.

“Ah! Tom!”

Seungri stopped scooping for seconds halfway. He looked at Dara, the only one who actually calls him Tom in person.

“Ne, Hyungsu Nim?”

“I gotta go! Please tell the boys for me! I’m sorry, but it’s kinda urgent. Give them my love and strength!” Dara patted him on the shoulder and smiled. “Thanks Tom!”

Dara left the waiting room seconds afterwards.

Seungri blinked.

 

 

 

“Why doesn’t Noona ever stay longer anymore?”

 

 

 

 

~

 

 

They loved their Hyungsu Nim and Dara Jesu (Jesu is for older bros to call their younger bro’s wife) to death after the past six months. She was immensely supportive to them. But one thing that the Big Bang members couldn't overlook... was that the couple were acting strangely lately.

“Daesunggie!” Dara whispered as she poked him. “Pssst. Daesung-ahh.”

Daesung groaned. He shrunk away from her and ignored her pokes. “Hyungsu Nim...Let me sleep please!”

“I can’t though…” Dara continued to poke him, ”It’s your turn. Hurry up and get your over there before you get scold at!” Dara whispered harshly into his ear.

“What? My turn for what?” Daesung groaned.

“KANG DAESUNG. PLEASE KINDLY REMOVE YOUR OFF THAT COUCH AND REPORT TO THE PHOTOSHOOT AREA. IMMEDIATELY. THANK YOU.” The voice echoed within the walls of the vacancy.

Daesung shot out of the couch at the tone of the voice. He scrambled his way out the door. Top walked in seconds afterwards.

“You think he’d remember we’re at a photo shoot when we’ve been here for two days now.” Top shook his head. The two winced at the hollering voice of the photographer. Apparently, he was grumpy at the two day shoot also.

“Well” Dara shrugged, “I tried, and he wouldn’t budge.”

“I’m sure you tried Dara Jesu.” Top ruffled her hair.

“How are you and Jiyong lately? Actually, now that I think about it,” Top looked at her befuddled, “I haven’t seen you two together lately.”

Dara visibly stiffened, “What are you talking about? We’re doing fine. You just catch us at a wrong time when we’re not together. That’s all.” Dara didn’t meet his eye. She took a nearby water bottle and drank the contents of it. Top watched her hand twitch. Everyone knows when Dara was nervous she needed to move her hands.

“If you say so…”

 

 

- -

 

 

“Ji, what time is it?”

“I don’t know, check your phone.” Big Bang was heading towards their dorm. Everyone was in the van, exhausted or asleep.

“Boram has my phone, where’s yours?” Yongbae felt uneasy.

“Boram has mine too. I haven’t touched my phone for days now.” Jiyong responded tiredly. He rested his head on the side of the car seat and drifted off to sleep.

Yongbae peered at the time that was beneath the radio of the car. 4:30 am.

For days now? Yongbae frowned. He was definitely uneasy now. Dara hasn’t visited them for the past two weeks and he didn’t have his phone with him lately. How did they communicate? Yongbae racked his mind of Dara’s most recent visit. She… didn’t talk to Jiyong too much. Yongbae watched his best friend sleep. Nor did she stick to him like glue, hell the closest they were together was that hug she greeted everyone with. Then nothing. Yongbae…shrugged. It wasn’t his relationship, he didn’t want to mother Jiyong about it. If anything catches his eye again, maybe then he’ll think about it. Yongbae shuffled in his seat and sleep came to him easily.

 

 

--

 

 

They all slowly noticed, except Jiyong. Whenever Dara came by, she hung out with them. As a group. At some point, Big Bang thought, Dara must have craved to be with Jiyong alone and act lovey dovey with each other right? But they didn't. They only acted like friends, somewhat distant friends. The boys were puzzled by this and tried leaving the two alone for a few times. However, when they went back to them…

 

“Hyung…?” Seungri spotted him sleeping soundly on the couch. Jiyong didn’t respond, he continued his deep sleep.

“Where’s Dara?” Top asked the staff members who slipped by them to enter the room.

“Dara? Ah, she left a while ago. She greeted everyone before she left, she didn’t greet you guys?” The boys shook their head.

“Well, that’s weird. She’s probably busy then.” The staff members shrugged it off and went on with their business.

 

 

Very unnerving and unsettling to them. The couple was acting very strange. On a raining day of the end of November, Yongbae couldn't take it anymore and snapped at him.

"What's wrong with you?!" Yongbae snarled at Jiyong. Jiyong jumped, startled by Yongbae's tone.

"The hell did I do?!" Jiyong shouted back, befuddled.

"What's up with you and Dara, Ji? Have you even called her? Text her? Meet up with her?" Yongbae glowered.

"You're yelling me because of this?" Jiyong knitted his eyebrows. "We're ing fine. Stop bothering me about this."

"No. You're not." Yongbae growled, "When was the last time you checked your phone? When was the last time we saw Dara? When was the last time you've spent some time with her alone? Do you even remember who Dara is?!"

 

 

 

 

~

 

 

 

 

With Dara...

 

"Sajang Nim!" Everyone in the practice room exclaimed, quickly bowing to their boss. YG walked into 2ne1's practice room unannounced. The last three days, Dara has changed their schedule to have dance practice before other lessons, to strengthen their stamina. To see YG so early into the morning was unusual. YG nodded at everyone in the room. He stood beside the mirror and gave Taegu a look. Immediately, Taegu cleared his throat.

"Ah, one time for Sajang Nim, girls?" He played the background music while the girls positioned themselves.

The music flared. YG watched the girls dance their routines critically. Nothing escaped his vision. He counted their mistakes calmly and bobbed his head with the beats. Halfway into the song, the girls stopped and the music halted.

"Ne, uh... We just taught them a new routine three days ago. We haven't given them the rest of the routine..." Minho said flustered.

YG nodded, "Three days, that's not bad then. Each of you has about five mistakes each in that one minute routine you've just showed me. Work on it. I'll be back in a few days to check on the progress. Don't disappoint me."

"Ne, Sajang Nim." Everyone chorused.

YG nodded at them all and walked out the door, "Dara, come with me."

Dara bit her lip. She walked solemnly after YG. The two left the room but the tension was still there. Moments later, everyone exhaled.

"Ya, he does this every time and every time it still gets to me!" Bom shivered. She shook her arms and legs in attempt to shake out her nerves.

"No kidding." CL scoffed.

"Common girls," Taegu clapped, “Our evaluation just left, back to work."

 

 

~

 

 

YG and Dara's journey to his office was silent. In the elevator, YG took out his phone.

"No one is to interrupt me within the next hour." YG hung up.

The two arrived to his office. YG stepped inside first, Dara following him a step slower. He seated himself on his couch and waited patiently for her to do the same. Once she has done so, silence enveloped them.

"I know what you're doing and I appreciate it," Dara spoke first, breaking the silence between them. She smiled at him, “But I'm fine. Really. I've been able to past...this day alone the past... What? Eight years? Alone now. I know how to get through this day. Thank you for your concern though."

YG said nothing. He looked at her, really looked her this time. Her eyes sparkled with the youth she has but was so dull at the same time. She has matured at a tender age of 23, achieving more than most her peers have. Her flawless beauty that has always given Dara the upper hand to her obstacles she has faced but her brains always won the cherry on top. If she wanted to, Dara could be a threatening force to any industry. She was strong and sturdily, YG will admit that. However, every lioness needed a rest.

"Dara...its okay to lean on someone for support." He patted her on the shoulder "You...didn't have anyone for eight years, having someone with you this time around...should be good for you."

Dara shook her head. She can feel the wound slowly bleed out. The pain came trickling in but she refused to let it flow freely. Now was not the time. Dara swallowed painfully.

"No..." She can hear her voice quiver, “I rather not...it's too early for this."

YG left his hand on her shoulder. She was as stiff as a board. Dara was trying to keep it together but he can feel her breaking. YG sighed.

"Then will you mourn with this old man?" Dara looked at him with glossy eyes "I don't want to go through today without seeing you." YG looked at her wearily. He too was in pain.

Dara watched him, completely torn. She can see his worry lines and the pain in his expression. Dara didn't notice it before; she was caught up in her emotions. YG suddenly looked 10 years older, more exhausted as usual. She didn't want anyone to see her cry, but this would be her only exception. Dara jumped into his arms and cried. YG held her tightly against him.

"I'm here" YG stated softly. He felt her shake in his arms.

"Appa...Omma..." Dara whimpered. Tears streaked down her face like bullets. They wouldn't stop no matter how much she tried to stop them. Tears flowed out so willingly on this day, the only day she wouldn't hate herself for showing weakness.

YG held her as she wept. He has a promise to keep and he intent to keep it.

"Shh...let it all out, Dara-ah.."

He is her support for today. But even he didn't deny the tears swelling in his eyes. He didn't bother to wipe the tears streaming down his face. He, like Dara, was able to cry today. For today was a day to mourn.

 

 

~

 

 

Dara knew Jiyong was on the radio schedule with the others right now. She knew his schedule like the back of her hand. So she knew he was working diligently for his fans, too dedicated that he won't notice all the miss calls and texts she has sent him. She should be that supportive girlfriend she was and listen to the radio but today wasn't the day.

8:22 p.m. Dara flipped the channel, strong heart. She has given the girls the rest of the day two hours ago. She worked the girl extra hard for them to earn the free time off. It was also her strategy for them to not notice her abnormal behavior. She tried her best to act normal in front of them but she couldn't hold her facade as the night neared.

She changed the channel when Hodong's face flared and the audience went wild.

 

 

"Happy Together! Ann-"

 

-flip-

 

"Oh My Frie-"

 

-flip-

 

"Tonight's weather-"

 

-flip-

 

Nothing was interesting on, dammit. Why does she have cable and a tv if there's nothing on it?! Dara glared at the poor screen.

Suddenly, somebody knocked on her door.

The hell? Who know where I live? Dara directed her glare to the door. She was definitely not in the mood but she reluctanly opened the door.

 

The hell?

 

"Teddy?" Dara blinked. The man stood proudly at her door, all 5'9 of him in the flesh. 

"I bought ice cream, butter pecan. Your favorite~" Teddy lifted the two tubs of ice cream up.

Dara raised a brow, “How do you know where I live?" Dara stepped aside, letting him in.

"Please, what do I not know?" Teddy scoffed, grinning at her.

"My passcode. Otherwise, you wouldn't have knocked." Dara stated flatly. She closed the door behind them and retrieved two spoons from her kitchen.

"Oh, I do. I just didn't want a restraining order from you if I ever did that." Teddy jumped onto her couch. "What are you watching? The hell. Why are you watching the history channel? Where's the chick flicks?"

Dara passed him a spoon. "You're a freaken guy. Male. You know, flat chested with a thing inbetween your legs? Why are you asking for chick flicks?” Dara asked him sourly.

"Because this night demands for chick flicks, ice cream and tears. You don't have any girlfriends to cry your eyes out with so I'm being the gay best friend for you tonight. Be thankful, sis." 

Teddy tugged the lid of the ice cream tub off and shoved a scoop of mint chocolate chip in his mouth. Dara watched him stab at the ice cream.

"You...remember." Dara said softly. Teddy looked at her briefly before tugging at her ice cream tub.

"Of course I do, why won't I? I practically took care of you before you went on that trip. By the way, how was it? Sorry for only asking now,-"

"We were busy," Dara interrupted," I understand and it was fun. Awesome. Saw many beautiful and disgusting things but still. Very memorable. Learned a lot."

Teddy nodded. As expected, who wouldn't learn a lot from a eight year long trip?

"So tell me about it."

"Well, I went to China first. Since they are our neighbors and all.-" and the two talked about her trip. It was nice for the duo to sit down and talk to each other without the topic being of music. They spoke of all the adventures and creepy things she has done while traveling. They laughed and bickered, like siblings. For the two of them, it was just like good old days. When 1TYM was preparing their debut, little Dara would be there supporting them. She and Teddy always had a brother sister relationship, stronger than the other 1TYM members. They were buddies from the past, catching up on their lost time. It didn't matter if he was 12 years older than her, they're bond was nice.

"Oppa, you haven't changed." Dara smiled at him.

"Of course not. I'm still awesome. Past, present, and future." Teddy scoffed.

"Still single, too. Past, present, and hopefully not in the future."

"Ya!" Teddy glared at her.

For the second time of her night, someone knocked on her door.

"The hell?" Dara mumbled and got the door. She never had visitors, why one earth did she have two today of all days? Teddy stood up from her couch.

"Bommie? CL?" Dara greet them in confusion.

"Dara! Are you okay?!" CL panicked. She grabbed Dara by the shoulders and turned her around, checking for open wounds.

"W-why wouldn't I be? Why are you girls here?!" Dara shook CL off her and let them in.

"Well, it's getting late and I should be going now." Teddy walked towards the girls.

"Teddy Oppa??" CL gaped.

"Hey CL, Bommie. It's nice seeing you girls. I'll see you in the studio tomorrow Dara?" Dara nodded and hugged him.

"Thank you for tonight." Teddy hugged her back.

"Anything for my little sister, eh?" He kissed her head and bladed the girls goodnight.

"So when we're you and Teddy close?" CL stared at the door Teddy left from.

"Uh.. Awhile back. So why are you girls here? Not to be mean or anything." Dara led them into her room. She didn't feel like talking to the girls in the living room. She felt that it would taint her memories with Teddy if she has done so.

"Sajang Nim... called me a while ago and he said you needed a friend tonight..." Bom watched Dara's expression stiffen,"So I brought CL with me. More friends equals less loneliness. Minzy's studying though. Is everything alright?"

Dara looked at the two tiredly. She was emotionally drained today. She emptied herself out with YG in the morning, acted for a good ten hours in front of 2ne1, talked to Teddy and had a sibling moment, and now her girls were in front of her. She didn't have the strength to hide anymore. Her armor was coming off piece by piece. Everything she wanted to hide slowly spilled out. The venerability oozed out.

One by one, her tears fell. Dara cried. And wept. Bom immediately pulled Dara into her arms. Dara wailed louder at this. She whimpered when CL joined them.

"I..." The words were caught in . She swallowed painfully and continued to cry.

"It hurts Bommie! Chaerin! It ing hurts!" Dara gasped. Her tears ran down her cheeks. Nothing held her back. The pain was too much to bare. She tighten her hold on Bom.

"...Bom..." Dara wheezed.

"Nothing... Helps..." Dara laughed bitterly into Bom's shirt. Bom only held her tighter. CL rubbed her back supportively and silently. Bom and CL comforted their pained friend. They looked at each other as they continued to be there for her.

 

 

 

What happened?