The Deer and The Baozi

The Red Thread of Destiny

  Ever since that first kiss, we didn't kiss each other often. We do once in a while, but not every day or every second. We try to lay low on our intimacy especially since I'm sure Chen wouldn't like seeing us doing those things in front of him.

  Since it's Luhan's birthday, I bought him a gift a week before. I'm walking happily down the hallway while holding the gift in my hand and humming a tune. I'm so excited to give it to him. I hope he likes it. As I'm busy in my own thoughts, I bump into someone. "Sorry," I apologize and bow. When I straighten up, I find Sehun staring at me.

  He blinks and mainly gazes at the gift. "Is that for Luhan?" Sehun retorts and points at my small box while his other hand was behind his back.

  I nod. "Yeah, it's his birthday."

  He snickers. "I know that. Doesn't that present seem too small to give to your boyfriend?" He mocks and pulls out a pink teddy bear from behind his back.

  Well, that certainly beats my deer pencil.

  I stare at it with wide eyes. "I'm sure Luhan will like it." I'm so cheap and pathetic. All I could afford was a mechanical pencil because I don't have a job and that money came straight out of my pocket for doing chores. Sometimes I wish I was as rich as Sehun.

  "You think? I also have this." He pulls out a necklace with an 'L' on it.

  His gift definitely beat mine.

  “Boy, please. Calm your and stop showing off your gift just because Luhan didn’t give you any for your birthday a couple of days ago,” Chen pops out of nowhere while holding a gift bag in his hands. He surely has changed over the past month since he’s confessed to me. Could it be that the confession was a huge weight lifted off his shoulder and now he’s able to show his true self?

  Sehun glares at him and rolls his eyes. “What did you give him?”

  “No need to get defensive. He’s in love with Xiumin, not me. I just got him a T-shirt and nothing else. Got a problem with that?”

 He heaves a deep sigh and places the necklace back where it belongs. “I’m going in. I’ll give my gift to him first.” He starts towards the classroom.

  I didn’t hesitate and try to get in front of him, brushing by his shoulder along the way. There’s no way he’s going to my boyfriend first.

  He paces in front of me, shoving me a bit. “Will you chill?”

 “Why don’t you?” I get in front of him.

  This sort of tug-of-war continues as we walk up the stairs. We were practically going back and forth like racing car trying to beat each other to the finish line. Not once did we leave our eyes on our opponent.

  Finally we were in front of the door. We stop for a moment and glare at each other.

  Sehun smirks and steps up. “I’ll be going.”

  “Don’t you dare!” I follow his pace and end up being stuck on the doorway. “Ouch!” I shout as Sehun and the doorframe were on both sides of me, squishing my insides. I keep stepping forward hoping he would give up.

  “Will you just let me in first?” Sehun grumbles.

  “No! You’re always trying to compete with me.”

  “I have my reasons!”

  As we continue to grumble and push, we notice Chen walking in from the other door calmly while holding his gift. Luhan was just ahead, watching us with a strange expression, but when he spots Chen, he smiles.

  “Happy Birthday, Luhan!” Chen exclaims while giving him the gift.

  Luhan takes it. “Thanks.”

  Well, that was the end of the battle.

  Sehun and I take a step back and straighten our shirt and tie. We both clear our throats and take a step forward. Once again, we shoot glares at each other.

  “I was here first.” Sehun states.

  “No, I was.”

  “I was.”

  “Ugh!” I let him through in the end because we will be going nowhere! I wait for Sehun to hand Luhan his gift before stepping up behind them. I’m watching Luhan’s expression very carefully because I knew they used to date, and sometimes I wonder if he still thinks about him sometimes.

  Luhan simply smiles and takes the teddy bear and necklace. “Thanks, Sehun.” He grips it tightly in his hands while the necklace dangles on his arm where our bracelet was.

  “Are you going to wear it?” Sehun asks while eying it.

  “Oh.” He pauses for a moment, just staring at the necklace on his arm. Then his eyes shift to me making my heart skip a beat. Is he asking me for permission?

  “I-I could c-care less,” I say without looking at the two. I’m really not into him wearing something from Sehun, but as long as he’s with me, I’m perfectly fine. At least that’s what my mind is telling me right now.

  “Let me put it on.” Sehun steps closer to him.

  “Oh no you don’t!” I block his way, arms spread out and legs apart. There’s no way he’s going to touch my boyfriend!

  He smirks. “Aren’t you being a bit overprotective?”

  I blush. I am, aren’t I? I haven’t been like this before! What’s going on with me? “Well- I- There’s-”

  “Wouldn’t you?” Chen butts in. I almost forgot he was there!

  Sehun shrugs. “I guess, but all that’s from the past.” His eyes turn sad for a moment making me feel a pang in my heart. Did they really love each other in the past? If I didn’t exist, would Sehun and Luhan still be together? Do they still have feelings for each other? Sure, Luhan constantly reassures me he’s not, but deep inside, I feel insecure. What if something happens and he decides to be with Sehun again? That’s one of my biggest fear.

  Chen sighs and lets out an annoyed groan. “Ah! Whatever. I’m tired of all this, so I’ll be heading to my seat while you three handle all this.”

  I watch him go. Why is everyone changing so quickly; summer hasn’t even come yet, so why are we changing so suddenly?

  Sehun does the same with his own last words, “If you’re ever tired with Xiumin, I’ll always be available, waiting with open arms.” He winks at Luhan before heading to his seat.

  Ugh, but it seems like the only one who hasn’t changed this year was Sehun.

  I turn to Luhan who was staring at the necklace. Unable to read people’s mind, I begin to doubt our relationship. Will he truly love me forever or all those words a lie? They are pretty cliché, and usually when couples say that, they seldom do end up being together forever. I don’t want that to happen to us. “Are you alright, Hannie?” I ask.

  He gets out of his trance and looks at me with wide eyes before relaxing them. He nods his head. “I was just remembering things.”

  Remembering things. I’m sure those things were about Sehun. “If something’s troubling you, you can share it with me.”

  Luhan grips the bear tightly in his hands. “It’s nothing. It’ll all go away.” He smiles which wasn’t so reassuring.

  I want to hug him right now. I want to comfort him. I want to know what he’s thinking inside, but I don’t want to force him. I return his smile with my own and hold out the little present I have for him. “Here you go. It’s not as great as Sehun’s or Chen’s maybe, but I thought you would like it.”

  He takes it from me and immediately opens it. Upon seeing the deer pencil, he brightens up and takes me in a tight hug. “Thank you, Baozi!” He releases me and stares at the pencil for a long time; longer than he did with the necklace. I really can’t tell what he’s thinking inside until, “And so the deer has eaten the baozi.”

  “What?”

  He chuckles. “It seems like you’re head over heels for me.”

  I blush. “Uh…”

 Luhan pats my head and pecks my cheek. “Don’t worry because I’m head over heels for you, too.”

  My heart is beating quickly in my chest and butterflies are fluttering in my stomach. I relax and put on a smile. “I love you, Hannie.” I’m finally able to say those words in public even if no one is listening.

  “I love you, too, Baozi.”

  Oh, how I love to hear those words over and over again.

----

*Author's note:

  Sorry for this short-ish chapter. This was kind of a filler chapter since I was missing Sehun lol and I wanted some XiuHan moments before the drama. :D Comment and subscribe~