Comfort (Why Don't You Call Me Yet?)

The Red Thread of Destiny

  I couldn't sleep. I could sleep for two straight nights. There were times where I would take a short nap, but I would always wake up two hours later and end up tossing and turning in my bed, thinking about the day Luhan brokw up with me. At first I couldn't believe it, but on the next day, he completely ignored me. He didn't even look to me. He didn't talk to me during lunch. He didn't walk with Chen when coming or leaving school. It seemed like he didn't even exist.

  I wanted to talk to him. I wanted to ask him the reason why he wanted to break up with me, but I never get the chance. He's always slipping away. And whenever I call him, he doesn't pick up.

  After school, I try once more after I do my homework since I know he's always doing his homework right after school. I dial his number and wait... And wait... And wait...

  Nothing. The call goes to voicemail as I hear the usual message, "Hello, you have reached my phone, but sorry I can't answer right now! Please leave a message!" I sigh and hung up. Why won't you call me yet? What did I do wrong? Maybe he's busy, maybe he's doing his homework, or maybe he's really ignoring me.

  Tears well up in my eyes with that thought. Why would he be ignoring me? I place my phone by my side in my bed and sit there, criss-cross and look out the window. Everything was so sudden. What did I do wrong? What was going on in Luhan's mind at that time? Just as I was about to head downstairs to watch a drama, my phone rings.

  My heart leaped and I picked it up quickly, only to be disappointed slightly. Seeing Chen's name on the caller ID caused my heart to ache and tears began to come back again. I answer the phone and take a deep, shaky breath. "Hello? Chen?"

  "How are you?" Was his immediate answer.

 I bite my lip as I didn't know what to say. Why does he always appear at the time when I don't want him to. He just make me feel bad. "I-I'm fine."

  "Why do you always lie to me? I hate it when you do and I'm sure you would hate it when Luhan lies to you." He sounds quite irritated, but I didn't let that get me.

  The tears start to fall down my cheeks.  "I don't want you to worry," I say, sniffling a bit. I hate it when I drag people into my mess.

  "Idiot." He grumbled. "You think I'm not going to worry after seeing you like this? You're practically dead to some people. You're not talking to anyone and it worries me. You haven't been eating lunch lately and it worries me. Everything you're doing worries me. In fact, what you're doing right now worries me." There was a long pause as I hear him take a deep breath. "So that is why I'm going to check up on you. Look outside your window."

  At first, I didn't understand him because it was so sudden, but as I stepped closer towards my window, I see Chen standing in front of my house, phone in hand and looking up at my room. I open my window and finally hear the sound of my neighbor's dog barking. I hang up and call out, "What are you doing? It's late. Do your parents know you're out?"

  He grins widely at me. "Of course they do! They don't mind me going to your place!" He shivers. "Is it okay if I go inside?"

  "Y-Yeah." I run downstairs to open the door. My mind race as it follows my footsteps. Why? Why is Chen doing this? Why does he always come at the times I needed someone the most? Does he have some sort of telepathy? I don't get it.

  The moment I swing open the door, Chen walks in. "Thanks." He tries taking off hos shoes, but in the middle of taking off his right one, I take him into a tight hug.

  He is stunned for a moment and soon hugs me back. I feel his arms wrap tightly around my shoulder as his head rests on top of mine.

  Why does this hug feel so warm? "What did I do wrong?" I constantly been asking that myself, but now I manage to say it to someone else. "I don't understand at all. What did I do that made Luhan act this way? He's even ignoring me!"

  He releases me from our embrace and places both of his hands on my cheek, forcing me to look him in the eye. "You did nothing wrong," he says softly, "You did absolutely nothing wrong. I don't know what's going on in Luhan's head, but he's acting like a for letting you go. Don't cry because it's not worth it."

  I chew on my lip as I avert my gaze. My voice comes in a whisper as I know my words will hurt him, "But I love him."

  He flinches and has a look of disgust for a moment. It's hard to let someone go when your heart has accepted him long ago.

  "You should understand!" I exclaim as I grab his shoulder. "You know how much this hurts! I want him back, but he wont listen to me! He won't even look at me!"

  "Then he's not worth your time and tears! What is wrong with you?"

  That causes a pain in my heart. I'm hurting him. I already know it, so why am I talking about this to him? Why am I talking to someone who's in love with me? "I can't let him go. I just can't. I want to know the real reason why Luhan broke up with me! I'm always the loser! I've always have and always will be. Everyone will just go away after high school. They'll never remember me, they'll never talk to me, and they'll never recognize me. It's always like that. I try so hard to make someone smile, and in the end, I get tossed to the side. I've always been ignored all my life, and when I've finally found someone who loved me for who I am, I thought it wouldn't be like that anymore."

  "Then what about me?" Chen muttered with his head bowing.

  That struck me like lightning. How could I be so blind? How could I forget about Chen who's been waiting and loving me this whole time. Of course I would be a damn idiot. "Chen, I'm sorry. I just-"

  He smiles causing me to feel a pang of guilt. "Don't worry. I know what love can do to you."

  I chew on my bottom lip. Why am I always the idiot? 

  Chen scratches the back of his head. "The reason why I came here was, one, to comfort you, and two, to give you something," he says as if nothing happened. How can he do that so easily? It makes me feel even worse. He rummages through his pocket and accidentally pulls out his phone. "Oops, not this." He chuckles and feels through his pocket once again, this time pulling out a panda phone charm. "I know Luhan gave you one, but I want to give you this. I thought it was cute and it reminded me of you. I hope you like it." He takes my hand and places it in my palms. As our hands touch, I feel a slight warmth and comfort.

  I lightly pull away with the charm and bow my head. How can he act so casual? "Thanks."

  He smiles lightly and takes a step forward, but steps back suddenly. "I'll be going then."

  "Alright," I mutter. For some reason, I can't say anything else. Why is that? What can I do to repay Chen for all he's done?

  "I'll see you at school, and please, please smile more again. If you won't..." He pauses and scoffs, "I'm going to make sure you will." With a single bow, he leaves the house with me being dumbfounded.

  I clutch the panda charm in my hands and stare at it. It was cute with it's small beady eyes and chubby features as it holds a bamboo stick in one hand. I hold it close to my chest and whisper into it, "Just who exactly are you to me, Kim Jongdae?"


*Author's Note:

  Sorry for the long wait and sorry if the chapter ... I wanted to have a chapter with Chen comforting Xiumin, but I think I failed. OH MY XIUHAN HEART IS ACHING! XD But I also like XiuChen, so this is a tough decision for me. I have to choose between Luhan or Chen for Xiumin XP Well, hope you're enjoying!