Return

The Red Thread of Destiny

  Summer vacation has ended and everyone is returning to school. I am half excited and half not because now I have to worry about endless nights with homework but I do get to see my friends again.

  I'm half skipping my way to school, not paying attention to anything. I nearly trip on my own feet but caught my balance on time. Not only has school started, but I get to see Luhan again. After the amusement park date, we didn't see or contact each other and I don't know why. I didn't want to bother him, thinking he's busy. Hopefully we have class together again.

  I reach the school to find everyone gathering around the bulletin board, searching for their classroom number. I shove pass them and looked down the senior list. I smile. I'm in the same class with Chen and Luhan again, but it seems Sehun is also in our class. I head inside.

  "Ah! Look who's here!" Someone screams across the hallway.

  I look straighy ahead to find Chen giving his biggest smile with arms spread out. He ran from where he was and nearly tackled me.

  "I'm so happy to see you!" He screamed like a little girl. "I didn't get to see you after our vacation together at the beach house. How are you?"

  "I'm good. How about you?" Every time I look at Chen, I can't help but feel a pain in my heart. I don't want to hurt him, but it's too late for that.

  "Same. But hey! We're in the same class again along with Luhan! He's in class right now, so let's go!" He grabs my arm and drags me upstairs where our room is.

Once we reached the room, he lets me go, but I don't move as I see Luhan and Sehun talking. Luhan seems pissed, trying to shut him up, but Sehun persists. He stands up and shouts, "Leave me alone, Sehun! This discussion is over!"

  Sehun rolled his eyes. "You think it's over, but it's not." Those were the last words he said before sitting down in his assigned seat.

  "What was that about?" Chen spat as he came close to Luhan.

  His face was pale, but he says nothing. Instead, he shrugs it off and smiles. "It's nothing Chen. I'm glad to see you two again!" He stands up to hug us, but for some reason when he hugs me, I don't get the same warm, bubbly feeling I usually do when he hugs me. There was something wrong and I could feel it. I just didn't say anything.

  "So how was the last few weeks of Summer?" Luhan asked as he was returning to his seat.

  Chen beamed at his words. "I had a great time! I got ot visit family, play video games..."

  I stopped listening as my mind begins to wander as I stare at Luhan. He seems different. He doesn't look different from the last time I saw him, but his eyes were saddened and the corners of his mouth slightly drooped as if he was frowning a lot. What happened to him during Summer?

  I didn't realize Chen was done until the bell rings. I was hesitant to leave Luhan to my assigned seat, but I did as I see Chen waving him bye and walking off. Luhan turns to me and grins which I return lightly, bow my head, and walk off at the back of the calssroom where my desk was. I sit silently at my desk as our teacher walks in and starts of the day with a warm-up assignment. As the paper comes to my desk, I simply stare at it, pick up my pencil, and scribble in my name. That's it. That's all I did. I couldn't concentrate as my mind keeps wandering back to Luhan.

  I glance at him a couple of times to see how he's doing, but there was nothing different in his actions. Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid since I haven't seen him for nearly a month. Ah, yeah, maybe that's it. I'm probably over reacting. I'm sure he's perfectly fine.

  However, once lunch came, I knew something was wrong.

  "So, we're meeting at the garden like usual?" Chen asks the two of us as we meet by the doorway.

  I nod my head immediately since I don't like breaking tradition.

  Luhan, on the other hand, purses his lips and shakes his head. "I can't today. I have to do something real quick, but if I have time, then I will meet up with you guys." And that was it. That's all he said before heading the opposite direction where we usually walk.

  I let out a sigh. I'm just paranoid.

  "Are you ready?" Chen asks while placing a hand on my shoulder.

  I flinch from the sudden contact and nod my head.

  He smiles warmly at me, causing blutterflies to flutter in my stomach. I had to look away. I don't want to have these feelings because I know it's not the same when I see Luhan smile.

 We walk to the garden and sit in the usual bench. Finally there was enough room for me to eat, but I lost my appetite. Clutching my lunch in my hands, I begin to cry for no reason. Why does it hurt to be ignored? I feel like Luhan has been avoiding me all day even though it's not his fault since we sit far away from each other. I didn't want Chen to know, but the more I hold back my tears, the more sounds I make and the more my body trembles.

  I feel warm arms wrap around my shoulders and pulls me close to a warm embrace. I couldn't hold back anymore. I turn myself so I can bury my head into Chen's chest and cry there. Knowing I was wetting his shirt, I try to pull back, but he holds onto me tighter and whispers, "It's okay just cry all you want. I don't care."

  Why does it feel like I'm commiting a sin?

  This causes me to cry even harder. "I don't understand. Why does my heart hurt so much?" My voice is trembling and I'm sure Chen notices.

  He doesn't say anything but pats my back.

  "I feel like Luhan is avoiding me ever since our date at the amusement park. I don't know what I did wrong..." I paused. "I don't want to lose him."

  Chen's grip on me tightens. "I understand."

  I sniffle before raising my head from his chest. Our eyes meet for a second before I shift them to the ground. My heart is beating quickly and I don't know why. Is it because I've been crying?

  "Do you feel better now?" He asks while taking strands of hair away from my face.

  Why am I blushing from this simple gesture?

  I nod my head and scoot to the edge of the bench, away from Chen. My appetite is still gone, but now I don't feel so bad. Is it wrong to feel that way after someone other than your boyfriend comforted you? I bite my bottom lip and turn my head towards Chen, seeing him eating his lunch. "Do you think I'm a bad boyfriend?"

  He makes an annoyed expression which worries me. "Really? How come you're so insecure about yourself? Haven't I told you before, you're perfect the way you are!" He grins, releasing the stress I felt earlier. "Plus, no boyfriend will meet the expectations of another. Of course you'll have your shortcomings, but if he really loves you, then he wouldn't mind it... But just don't do it all the time or else he'll think you don't care about him."

  "But..."

  "Sh! I'm eating!" He chuckles and eats his food silently.

  I stare at my untouched food and place it on the bench next to me and sigh. "Do you think Luhan and Sehun will get back together?" That question has been bugging me for quite some time now, but I just now had the courage to ask someone else.

  There was a long pause before, "If he is, I'm going to beat his ."

  I would've laughed out of nerves, but I ended up being silent. I just couldn't say anything when it comes to this.

  Chen sighed through his nose while pouting a bit. "When you're in a relationship, you'll have your doubts, but don't let that bother you. After all, love is complicated." Again he puts on a smile when I know he's deeply hurt inside. Was it really right for me to consult these type of matters to him? Am I hurting him more?

  "Well, are you going to eat or not? If you aren't then I'll be more than gladly to eat it for you."

  I let out a small laugh while I wipe the dried tears from my cheeks and start eating lunch.

~*~

   In the end Luhan didn't make it to lunch, but afterwards he met me at my desk before our teacher came.

  "Hey." He places his hands on top of my desk as he stares down at me.

  I look up to see a whole new Luhan. I don't know why, but he looks so different right now... and worried. "Hey." Why can't I say more?

  His eyes wandered before meeting mine. "Can we talk after school?"

  That causes my heart to skip a beat. Those aren't the words you enter to hear from your boyfriend after noticing his suspicious actions. I bite my bottom lip, wanting to ask, "Why? What's wrong with telling me now?" But I held back and nodded my head. "Where?"

  "Here would be fine." There was something about his tone of voice that showed he was hesitating, but used every effort to not waver.

  "Okay." I'm already expecting the worse. Is that bad?

  He manages a weak, forced smile before heading back to his desk. I could look at him after that as my mind continually suggests possibilities of what might come. Is he going to break up with me? Is he tired of being with me? Or maybe he's going to say sorry, but sorry for what? Or maybe he misses me? I don't know.

  I have no idea how long I've been thinking, but before I knew it, the bell rings to end the day. I stand up from instincts and remembered I'm waiting for Luhan, so I sit back down.

  Chen notices me and walks up to me. "What's wrong? Are you feeling dizzy?"

  I shake my head. "I'm waiting for Luhan." I look where Luhan's seat was but there was no Luhan. Could he have left me? "Where is he?" I asked myself, but Chen hears me.

  He follows my gaze and gives me a worried look. "He left with Sehun."

  My eyes widen. What?

  He scratches the back of his head. "I don't know what happened, but I think I saw Luhan dragging him out. He seemed a bit pissed."

  "Oh." I guess I should go then... I stand up and walk out the door with Chen next to me. We didn't speak as we go down the hall.  It sure got empty fast, but there was still a few people around. The moment I turn a corner near the entrance of the school building, Luhan turns the same corner in the opposite direction. We both stop suddenly and stare at each other with wide eyes.

  He bows. "I'm sorry. I had to... talk with someone."

  "Ah..." I couldn't find any words to say. Why can’t he just explain to me he was talking to Sehun a moment ago?

  He notices Chen. "You can go ahead. I have to talk to Xiumin privately."

  Chen glances towed my direction. His gaze was saying, "Will you be okay?"

  I simply smile and he knew what that meant.

  "Okay! I'll see you two tomorrow then!" He exclaims excitedly and leaves the building.

  There was a long silence as tension builds in the air. I'm fearing for the worse.

  "Xiumin."

  He's even calling me Xiumin rather than Baozi. Did I do something wrong?

  "Uhm... I don't know what to do. I- This is hard for me... But... I think..." He chokes on his words as his cheeks flare and his eyes turn red. Is he about to cry? He chews on his lip and looks away.

  "Hannie..." I reach other for him but he flinched causing me to pull my hand away. "What's wrong?"

  He doesn't say anything for a moment and takes a deep, shaky breath. "I think we should see other people..."

  He's not even looking at me.

  "I think it's best if we just be friends.”

  I can't believe my ears. What did I do wrong? Instead of sadness I thought I would feel, I felt anger. I feel this bitter hatred towards myself and Luhan. "What do you mean? What did I do?

  "It's not you, it's me."

  Ah, that typical phrase during a breakup. "Why don't you just tell me why we're breaking up! I don't understand. We haven't seen each other for most of the summer and now we're just getting back to school and you want to tell me this now? Did Sehun talk you into this? Did your parents convince you not to date me because I don't have the money? Tell me Luhan because I don't care what Sehun or your family tells you! I love you!"

  "But I don't!" He shouts with eyes closed tight.

  Those words hit me like a bullet. I feel weak to my knees. No, I couldn't have heard that right. "What?"

  "I don't love you anymore, Xuimin." His voice is strained and his eyes avoid me. He couldn't be saying the truth. Didn't he tell me he would love no other? I don't believe him.

  "If you're playing a joke, it's not funny," I say incredulously.

  "It's not a joke," he says sternly, "I think it's best for you to be with Chen."

  This got me even angrier, and I don't usually get like this. "I don't want to be with Chen! What is wrong with you? I love you and no one else. I can't just fall in love with someone else just like that!" My voice becomes soft on my next words, "You're lying to me."

  This time his eyes meet mine, and they were stern. "I'm not lying." His harsh voice frightens me.

  I didn't want to let him go, so I grabbed both of his arms, digging my nails into his skin, telling him I didn't want to end this way.

  "Let go of me." He jerks from my grasp.

  "I'm not going to let go!" Tears filled my eyes as my nosebleed begins to run. I sniffle. "I'm not going to lose you!"

  "I said, let go, Xiumin!" He jerks from my grasp and takes a couple of steps away from me. Tears were also in his eyes, but he does his best to hide his sadness. "Just... just leave me alone, okay?"

  "I don't want to." I may seem like a child now, but I'm not convinced.

  He groans in frustration and looks at my wrist. "If you don't believe me, fine." He takes off the matching bracelet he had, grabs my hand, and places it in my palm. "I'm sorry, Xiumin, but..."

  "But what?" I spat. "What?"

  "Xiumin, please don't make it harder than it is."

  I clutch the bracelet in my hand as tears continually fall down my cheek. How could he just say that? How could he just say, ‘Don’t make it harder than it is’? What did I do wrong? I let out a shaky sigh. "F-fine. J-just leave." I didn't see if he did leave or not. I stand in the same spot, head bowed and eyes to the ground as the tears continually fall. My body trembles as deep sobs escape my lips. I feel pathetic, but no matter how hard I try to stop crying, it makes me cry even more. The bracelet is in my hand which represented our relationship, but now it’s shattered, broken just like my heart.


  *Author's Note:

  OH EM GEE. It's been so long since I've updated! I hope I didn't disappoint you! I'm not good at writing drama, because I love writing fluff, but it's time to get this story going! Well, we'll see what happens next in the next update! :D