Memories

The Red Thread of Destiny

  I can't let Luhan go. No matter what I do, memories seem to flood in my mind and I tend to fall apart. I want to see him again. I want to be with him. I want to hold him the same way we do when we're together. But all that's gone now. Now, I'm feeling empty.

  It's a weekend, and once again, Luhan hasn't spoken to me ever since we broke up. I want to scream and shout and yell to let my emotions out, but my voice fails me. I can't bring myself to do that. I want to call him, but I know he won't pick up. Just as I believe I have nothing to do at home, my phone rings and my heart leaps. When I see the caller ID, I begin to feel mixed feelings, but my heart continues to pound in my chest. "Hello, Chen?"

  I can tell he smiling because of his cheery voice, "I'm so glad you picked up! Hey, do you want to hang out today?"

  "Uhm..." I really don't want to do anything, but if I stay home, will I end up moping around and do nothing? "S-sure. Where do you want to meet?"

  "I can pick you up. Don't worry about it! And you better hurry and get ready because I'm almost there!"

  My eyes widen. Wait, so that means I have to get ready now? What if I said no? What will he do then? "Alright." I feel like when I speak, I'm not the same. "I'm going to hang up now."

  He chuckles. "You don't need to say that! You better hurry because I'm getting close! Bye!" He hangs up on me.

  I place my phone on my bed and start changing. Just as I slip on my shirt, the doorbell rings and I immediately run to the door, seeing Chen's smiling bright face. I don't know why, but I begin to blush when seeing his beautiful smile. What's wrong with me? I've never felt this way towards him before.

  "Ready?" He asks as he motions his hands to get out.

  I nod my head and follow him outside.

  For the longest time, I feel like we don't say anything. It's awkward but seeing Chen's expression makes me feel relieved. I'm glad he's not awkward in this situation. Maybe I should start a conversation. I take out my phone and show him the charm. As much as I liked Luhan's charm, I just can't stand seeing it because it makes my heart pinch. "Thank you for the charm. I love it."

  He grins. "I'm glad you like it! I was afraid you wouldn't because..." His voice trails and he stops, probably remembering Luhan's gift to me. He scrtaches his head. "So I was thinking of watching a movie..."

  "A movie?" It's been a while since I've seen a movie and it doesn't seem like a bad idea. "Sure!" I need to put on a smile. I can't make him  worry.

  Without another word, we head towards the nearest movie theater and pick a movie towards both of our tastes. Throughout the movie, we say nothing once more. Just feeling his presence makes me relaxed. I don't know. Maybe I shouldn't be so worried about him after all, but I still don't know what to say if he'll confess to me again.

  After the movie, Chen drags me to the nearest clothing store. It's so nostalgic as Chen chooses clothes for me and himself. Luhan and I were doing this when we were dating also. I try not to show my pain in remembering those cheerful memories, but Chen is very observant. He immediately catches on.

  As he pulls out another shirt for me to try, he holds it out to me and says, "Wearing bright colors helps with your mood."

  I shake my head. I'm not really a fan of bright colors. "I'm okay. I don't need clothes."

  He shrugs and looks around. Before I knew it, he takes my arm and pulls me into the nearest changing room. I'm completely shocked. "Chen! Wh-"

  Chen's eyes pierces through my gaze. "How long are you going to be like this? He's not worth your tears Min! I hate to see you like this, so please smile more! I don't want you to be like this. You have no idea how much this hurts inside of me." He grabs my shoulders and shakes me. "Forget about Luhan! If he's been ignoring you all this time, then you might as well leave him alone!"

  I want to. I really do, but my heart can't let him go. Tears flood my eyes, blurring my vision. "How? How can I? I see him everywhere! I see him at school. I see him in my dreams. I see him in the pictures we've taken together. I see him everywhere! How can I forget him if he's always around me?" Why am I so stupid? Why can't I forget someone who hurt me like this?

  Chen's grip on my shoulders loosen and he pulls me into an embrace. His arms wrap protectively around me and he rubs my back soothingly. When he whispers in my ear, his breath tickles me, "I understand. I understand everything."

  How? How can he understand? I wanted to shout those questions at him, but I know my voice would shake if I tried. He continues, "I've been in the same situation as you." He lets me go and wipes my tears with his thumb and forces a smile. "I've fallen in love with Kris in middle school. He was one of the few guys who spoke to me and actually listened to what I had to say. I fell in love with him, but him, on the other hand, liked someone else. I confessed, but he rejected me and everyone made fun of me ever since." He pauses and bites his bottom lip. "At first, we didn't make any type of contact towards each other like we were complete strangers and no matter how many times I wished he was there to help me, he never came. I was helpless until I met Luhan and until I met you." A smile creeps up on his lips. "You became my sun. It was your smile that brightens my day. But I knew you liked Luhan just by one glance, so I said nothing at first. The day I confessed to you was because I didn't want to be weak anymore. I didn't care if you rejected me because at least I tried. At least knowing you didn't feel the same way towards me was more satisfying than guessing no matter how many times I see you happy with Luhan. I'm just glad I get to be with you. So, please don't cry. It'll take time to heal, but your heart will mend someday. I promise."

  Why? Why is he doing this to me? My heart pounds madly in my chest to the point where I'm suffocating. I don't understand! Why are you doing this to me Chen? Why are you making my heart quiver like this? "Chen..."

  His smile softens and he leans forward, pressing his lips on my forehead. "Don't cry anymore because after letting it all out once, it's time to move on. Cry once with all your might and let it go."

  I wipe the remaining the tears that seem to slip down my cheeks and nod. "I'll try."

  "You will." He pokes my stomach and while I try to poke him back, he tosses the shirt towards me and runs out. "Just try it on and we'll see if I'm going to buy it or not for you!" He closes the door behind him.

  I stare at the mirror in front of me. My eyes are puffy and my cheeks were red. I seem to be heating up the more I think about Chen's touches and words. What is he doing to me? I stare at the shirt and hold up to my body. Ah, surely this is not going to work...


Author's Note:

  OMG I FAIL D: It's been so long and I have lost my inspiration to this story! I'm SORRY FOR ALL MY LOVELY READERS!!! I HAD EVERYTHING PLANNED OUT BUT I'M GETTING LAZY IN WRITING! I guess it's cause of school. Don't worry, I will finish this, but it'll be shorter than planned and it might not be as good TT^TT As a warning, I'm going to speed it up from here because I really can't write this one anymore. I'm more interested in my action, sci-fi, and fluffy story. I'm sorry once more. I really can't make this the same way it would've been in the past. I just... I just can't. I'm sorry.