Embarrassment

The Red Thread of Destiny

  It’s been a week since I’ve been dating Luhan and during that week, we experienced many things. For the first few days, a lot of people hated the fact that we were together, but over time, they accepted it. Also as we were working on the project, I noticed Chen and Luhan were having mild conflicts, but it wasn’t to the extent where our friendship would break. As for Sehun, he lay low, watching us enjoy our time together. I did talk to him a few times and he didn’t mention about Luhan and I. But I have a feeling this is the calm before the storm.

  “The project was a success!” Chen exclaims the moment we see each other at the front gates.

  Luhan was laughing beside him and when he sees me, he skips towards me and grabs my arm. “Good morning, Xiumin! So, were you able to write your two page essay about the Red Thread of Destiny?”

  I blush. Don’t ask why I chose that legend. I’ll tell you anyways so there’s no need to ask. I chose it because even though I’m not romantic, I like the idea of being a romantic person. Since I now have Luhan, I’m thinking of trying out things I have never done before with the person I like. I’m thinking of taking him on dates, giving him flowers, and stuff like that. I just don’t know how I’ll do it. “It’s great! I manage to write enough even though I still have like one-fourth of the page left. Hopefully he won’t take out too many points off.”

  Chen shrugs. “You know how strict Mr. Yoo is, but if you’re lucky, he’ll let it slide.”

  I flap my hand at him. “Whatever happens, as long as I’m not failing, I don’t care as much.”

  We head inside the school with Luhan holding me tight. Chen is on the sidelines, running his mouth while I’m more focused in my own thoughts. Luhan and I didn’t go on a date yet, but I don’t know how to ask him. I want to do it soon, but when? I want to spend at least one day with him before my birthday since it seems that he’s going to take me special on that day. I just want to be experienced that way that day can be even more memorable.

  “… Xiumin. Xiumin? Are you listening?” Chen breaks my train of thought.

  I shake my head and stare at him. “What?”

  “Your birthday is coming up next week. Are you busy with family stuff?”

  “No. I don’t think so. We usually have a party or dinner, but this time my parents will be out of town for business reasons, so I don’t have anything to do.”

  I see a spark light up in Luhan’s eye as I explain that.

  “Cool. Then we can hang out for the whole day!”

  “Not for the whole day!” Luhan interjects. “I want to hang out with Xiumin for a bit with just the two of us.” He pauses and turns to me. “Unless I can stay all night at your house?”

  I blush. Luhan staying all night at my house? All night? What exactly is he implying? “Uh… Ah… Aha… I-I don’t kn-know about that. I mean, I-”

  Chen glares at us while Luhan laughs.

  “I’m just kidding, Baozi! I’m just messing with you, but I do want to stay with you for a bit if we can.” He leans close to my ear, his chest rising and falling as he presses against my shoulder, and whispers, “Unless you do want me to stay.”

  That causes me to faint inside. “I-I-I-” I can’t even get another word out!

  Chen breaks us apart, his hands on both of our chests. “Okay, you two love birds are going too far! I’m still here you know, and you have no idea how awkward this is for me right now!”

  Luhan laughs again. “I’m sorry, Chen, but I just love my Baozi so much!” He tries grabbing my arm again, but Chen stops him.

  “No! That’s enough for right now! When I’m not around, you can touch him all you want, but since I am here, you keep your distance.”

  Once again, I don’t have a say in this.

  As we walk to our classroom, Chen makes sure we don’t share skin ship by walking in between us. Luhan is pouting beside him while I’m quite confused about this situation. I understand that Chen is jealous, but does he really have to break us apart while we’re walking? Sometimes I just don’t understand what’s going on in his mind.

  We all separate the moment we enter the classroom since our seats were scattered around. I sit on my desk and look out the window. This is my typical setting. I always look out the window because it clears my mind, but right now my mind isn’t clearing! What does Luhan mean? Does he want to do that with me? No! He’s not like that! Maybe he’s just teasing me like he usually does, but isn’t that a bit over the top. Or I’m just thinking wrong. Stupid corrupted mind. I really need to chill on reading certain books. I slap my cheeks lightly, trying to get the image of Luhan and me alone at my house. Aish! I thought I can handle this well…

  “What’s wrong with you?” A voice echoes in my ear.

  I look up to see Sehun beside me. Chen and Luhan were watching us, making sure nothing like last time would happen again.

  I wave my hands around. “Nothing’s wrong! I’m okay! I was just thinking about something!” Yeah, sure nothing’s wrong. I’m clearly panicking here.

  A playful smirk appears on his lips. “Are you thinking of what I’m thinking about what you’re thinking of?”

  I narrow my eyes. What’s with all those words? Is he trying to confuse me on purpose or is that what he’s really trying to say.

  His smirk remains and he leans closer to my ear, “Every guy has his needs. You’re probably too innocent to notice, but now that you’re in a relationship, you probably figured out what that need is.”

  I blush and push him away. In the corner of my eye, I can see Chen flinching while Luhan literally stands up. “N-No! B-Be quiet!”

  “Sehun! What are you doing to Baozi!” Luhan exclaims.

  Sehun turns to him and sigh. “Nothing! Don’t worry, I’m not hurting him. I’m only explaining something personal to him.”

  Luhan doesn’t believe him.

  I try lessening the tension. “It’s really nothing Luhan. He was just explaining my ne- I mean, my birthday.” I laugh, hoping it would convince him that Sehun didn’t do anything wrong. He really didn’t, but he kind of did since he was talking about something so inappropriate.

  He reluctantly gives in and sits back in his chair but doesn’t take his eyes off of us.

  Sehun stuffs his hand in his pocket. Before he leaves, he says, “If you really want to keep Luhan, I suggest you keep your relationship a secret from his parents. They won’t like you.” With that, he does a single wave and sits quietly in his chair.

  What exactly are Luhan’s parents like? I do know he’s rich and his parents own a coffee shop franchise, but I have never met them in person. What kind of people are they? Are they amiable? Or are they anti-social? I will never know unless I’ve met them, but it seems Sehun has. It’s like he has some sort of connections that no one else knows, but maybe Luhan. After all, he does seem to take care of me when Sehun bothers me. I hope Luhan isn’t hiding something from me.

  I take a glance at him and we make eye contact. He waves at me like a child before making a heart with his hands.

  My cheeks start burning. I cover the bottom half of my face with my hand, not wanting people to see my blushing face. My eyes constantly shift from him to my desk. I take a breath before making the same gesture as he does, but I can’t look at him. I feel too embarrassed to do so. I drop my hands and meet his eyes again.

  He grins widely and blows a kiss at me.

  I couldn’t return that. I simply smile at him and face the front. I’m sorry Luhan, but blowing kisses aren’t my thing.

~*~

  After school, I head straight home while Luhan stays behind to finish up with his rehearsals. As for Chen, he asks if he wants to walk me home.

  “Isn’t it out of the way?” I ask. We were right out the gates when he catches up to me.

  “It is, but I don’t mind walking the extra mile or so. I need some exercise anyways.” Chen flexes his arm.

  I shake my head and continue walking.

  He walks beside me in silence.

  It is awkward walking by him with just the two of us especially since I know he likes me. It wouldn’t be like this in the past. I should say something. “What does it mean if a guy wants to be with you for a whole night?” Ah! Why did I ask that?

  Chen blinks at me. He tries so hard to hold a laugh, but it comes out all at once as he speaks. “Pft! Why are you so worried about that? You really are innocent! But don’t worry, he’s not that type of guy. He’s like me, a sweet guy but can be a ert.”

  Today, it seems like my cheeks really like to burn up. Do I have a fever or something? “Uh… I-”

  Chen pats my back. “Your embarrassment is what I like about you,” he mutters. Suddenly, his eyes widen and he blushes. “I-I mean… Never mind. It’s too late to take those words back.” He sighs and raises his head up to the sky. “You know, sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I never met you two. I don’t know what would happen to me if Luhan didn’t save me from those bullies in middle school.” He shudders and rubs his shoulders as he remembers that day.

  I wasn’t able to save him no matter how much I wanted to. Sometimes I regret not trying. I could have opened that window and shout at those kids, but I chose not to, staying in place like the little kid I was. Then a question popped in my head. “If you have never met me, would you still like me?”

  He purse his lips. “Maybe? I don’t know. We were in the same class for years, but without Luhan’s help, I wouldn’t have spoken to you. I’m not the type of person to open to people easily. I like to stay in my own little group. But there was-” He stops.

  “There was?”

  “Nothing. We’re here.”

  I didn’t realize we were standing in front of my driveway. “Oh. Ah. I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

  He smiles softly at me. “Yeah, I’ll see you tomorrow, Minnie. Bye.” With a single wave, he spins around and heads towards his house.

  My heart aches just hearing him talk about the past. I hate to see him like this because it’s like he’s a lost puppy, only being beaten down but still comes back, hoping for another chance. What would happen if I haven’t met Luhan? Surely, I wouldn’t have met Chen, but what if I was the one who saved him instead? Would Luhan be in the picture then? There are so many possibilities and consequences in the world, it makes it seem endless.

  I go inside my house and went straight to doing my homework. Afterwards, I take a shower, cleansing myself of all the events and thoughts that happened today. I felt dirty physically and mentally due to the fact that I’m actually worried what will happen on my birthday when Luhan and I will be alone in the house.

  I get out with just a towel around my waist since I forgot to get my clothes from my room. I get another towel to dry my hair. Outside my window, I can hear my neighbor’s dog barking hysterically like it does when he’s put outside. How in the world do my neighbors not complain about this? That dog just doesn’t know how to shut up and it gets really annoying!

  I ignore him for as long as I can while drying and getting my clothes, but soon I just couldn’t take it. I open my window and shout, “Shut up!” I was about to go back to my room, but I see a figure right in front of our house, cheeks red and eyes wide.

  My eyes widen and my whole body feels hot. “Luhan!” I screech and run back inside quickly changing into my pajamas. Why is he here at this time? He even saw me like this! He saw me in just a towel!

  I return back to the window and still see him standing there, frozen on the spot. I force a laugh. “What are you doing here, Luhan?” I ask casually.

  His head twitch as he comes back to reality. “Oh, I came here to… I wanted to… I was going to ask… I…” He’s lost for words.

  I find it cute, but the situation I’m in isn’t cute at all. He saw me half ! “It’s getting late, don’t you think?” I say, trying to break the silence.

  Luhan chuckles. “It is, but I’m not leaving until I ask you something.” His voice finally comes back. “I want to ask if you want to go on a date with me this Saturday.”

  It seems that Luhan tends to beat me with everything. I didn’t hesitant to answer, “Yeah!” I clear my throat and say in a calmer tone, “Sure. This Saturday? What time?”

  “Ten maybe unless you want to eat breakfast with me and then we can start our date.”

  “Ah, well I tend to wake up late on weekends.”

  “Oh, ok. I’ll pick you up around twelve then?”

  “Twelve sounds great.” Ugh, I really feel awkward right now.

  “Great!”

  “Great!”

  “Alright!”

  “Alright.” What’s wrong with me? I’m just repeating everything he’s saying! Gosh, I feel so stupid.

  Luhan grins brightly at me. “I’ll see you tomorrow then, Baozi!”

  I nod. “I’ll see you tomorrow, LuLu.” This was the first time I actually called him by his nickname. Maybe I should be different. “No, I’m going to call you Hannie since it’s close to Honey.” Did I just say that? I should stop talking now.

  “Sure. You can call me whatever you like, but you’re forever my Baozi, okay?”

  I can never get enough of this cutie. “Bye.”

  “Bye.” With another glance, he leaves without another word.

  I stand by the window, unable to move. My heart is beating loudly in my chest as it gets harder to breath. I have a feeling Luhan is the only one capable of making my heart beat like this. Sometimes it’s as if I could get a heart attack any moment, but I don’t want to die yet. I still have so much I want to do, so I won’t let this opportunity to be with Luhan slip away because he is my Hannie.