Amusement Park

The Red Thread of Destiny

  Summer vacation is about to end and Luhan and I decided to go to the amusement park before school starts. Our little adventure at the beach house has ended. After the fireworks, we did whatever we wanted to do the rest of the week and of course, I spent time with my Hannie, but everyone else ended up being with us most of the time. We didn’t really have much free time alone. It doesn’t matter because I was able to be with him.

  Since we’re going to meet at the gates of the amusement park, I rush to get ready. I have to take a bus there, and like every public transportation system, there’s a schedule. I wear the blue v-neck shirt Luhan bought me on our first date with black jeans. Once I’m done getting ready, I head out the door to the nearest bus stop.

  It takes me half an hour until I arrive, considering I had to walk the rest of the way. When I’m there, I don’t see Luhan, but a throng of people in a line. Most were couples or families, but none were Luhan. I check the time on my phone and notice it was ten o’clock – our meeting time. It doesn’t hurt waiting a bit.

  I sit down on the nearest bench watching people pass by. Messing with my phone, I search through my contacts and find Chen’s name. Maybe I can text a bit while I wait.

  Hey :D – Baozi

  I wait a bit, wondering if he’s awake. He’s a morning person, but sometimes he doesn’t check his phone often, especially during school days. Well, maybe he’s not busy, so he’s probably going to take a short time. I glance at my phone, but receive no message.

  Sighing to myself, I stuff my phone in my pocket, but at that moment, my phone vibrates. I quickly take it out, heart beating fast in my chest.

  Good afternoon! What brings you awake at this point in time? – Chen

  Uhm. You do know it’s only ten. And I have a date with Luhan today, but he’s not here yet. I’m a bit bored. – Baozi

  I don’t know why I reply so quickly, but it’s a habit. When someone texts or talk to me, I feel like I have to get my point across quickly or else my chances will go away.

  Ah. Well, do you want to hear a joke? :D – Chen

  Sure – Baozi

  Why are ducks so funny? – Chen

  I’m about to answer his text, but when I look up to check if Luhan’s here, I find him coming up to me, a worried expression plastered on his face. I stand up and return his expression with my own. “What’s wrong?” I tilt my head to get a better look at him.

  Luhan places a smile for me and grabs my hand. “I’m sorry I’m late, but let’s go so we can ride a lot of rides! You know how long the lines can be!” With those words, he drags me to the entrance gates.

  The moment we enter the amusement park, Luhan asks, “Where do you want to go to first? Or are you hungry? Or maybe we can go on that haunted ride thing.” He chuckles to himself. “Well?”

  “Uhm.” I look around. I don’t usually go to amusement parks because I don’t do well with rides, but it doesn’t hurt to try those rollercoasters once in a while. I mean, it’s not like I’ll die on one. My eyes continue to wander. Maybe we should start on something light. “How about the tea cups?”

  Luhan’s eyebrows furrow, but he smiles. “Alright, but be warned, just because it’s a little kids ride, doesn’t mean it’ll be easy going.” His smile grows into a mischievous one.

  I gulp. Now, what exactly does he mean by that?

~*~

  “AH!” I’m screaming on the top of my lungs as Luhan is spinning the wheel faster and faster. He’s laughing hysterically in front of me, never letting go of the wheel. It feels as if my stomach is moving faster than the rest of my body. My head feels dizzy. I want to faint right here and now, but before I could, everything starts to slow down to a halt.

  “That was fun!” Luhan exclaims and gets up when it was safe to do so.

  I follow, but lose my footing along the way. I fall into Luhan’s arms and he guides me to the. Other children were laughing and having fun unlike me who’s feeling sick and dizzy. Maybe riding the tea cups was a bad decision.

  Luhan chuckles. “That was fun, don’t you think? What do you want to do next, Baozi? Maybe we can ride that ship thing that goes back and forth or maybe we can play some games. What would you like to do?”

  “Ah…” Ugh. I don’t even feel like talking.

  “Maybe we’ll play a game. I’ll win you something before we can go on the next ride.”

  “But- but don’t they cost money to play?”

  “I don’t mind if it’s for you.” With a heartwarming smile, he walks off towards the game stands.

  In the first game, we had to pop balloons and depending what’s in the balloon determines what kind of prize we get. If we can get two of the same kind (small, medium, or large), then we can get a prize based on the paper.

  Luhan gets eight chances. He isn’t able to pop the first one, but the second one, he does. Nothing was on the balloon. Then on the third, he gets small, and on the fourth, he gets medium. His last four darts, he receives nothing.

  “Would you like to try again?” The worker asks.

  Luhan shakes his head and takes my arm. “Let’s try another game! Let’s do the one where you shoot water in that little target. It can’t be that hard!”

  In fact, it isn’t but there were so many people, so Luhan wasn’t able to beat everyone. Someone else reached the top and won a huge teddy bear. Luhan pouts as he sees the winner walking away with that. “He doesn’t even have anyone with him to give it to!” He complains, and then turns to me, “Okay, this next game, I’m definitely going to win!”

  Why is he so determined to win something for me?

  “This one! I’ll definitely get you something here!” Luhan stops in front of a stand where there were bottles at the far end of the stand and bean bags at the counter. He pays the worker and starts throwing them.

  I watch him as he hits every single bottle, knocking them down. On his last bean bag and bottle, he concentrates real hard before throwing it. The bag hits the bottle. The bottle tips over. We win a prize.

  “I’ll have…” Luhan taps his chin as he goes through the variety of prizes. Suddenly, he grins, showing his teeth. “I’ll have that panda right there holding a bamboo stick.”

  The worker gets the panda with a sad expression. He thought Luhan would lose and pay for more bean bags, but Luhan is amazing like that.

  He takes the panda and hands it to me.

 I hold it close. This would be the first time I had a life size stuff animal given to me. I bury my cheeks on the soft fur and smile. “Thank you, Hannie.”

  Luhan blushes. “It’s nothing.” There was a long pause before he kisses my cheek. “I’m glad I can make you smile,” he whispers into my ear and then, “Alright! Let’s ride some rides now!” Immediately, he rushes to the nearest line and waits for me.

  I follow him and at that same moment, I feel my phone vibrate. Out of habit, I check it. To my surprise, it wasn’t Chen, but Sehun.

  Could you tell Luhan to call me? – Sehun

  Huh? Why didn’t he tell Luhan himself? Before I could near Luhan, I see him checking his phone. His cheeks are pale and eyes wide as he stares at it for a moment. He stuffs his phone back in his pocket, pretending nothing had happened.

  I reach him and say straight forward, “Sehun text me to tell you to call him.” My heart is aching, and it seems like I can barely breathe. What does Sehun want to tell Luhan?

  He chews on his lips and mutters, “Why is he always bothering me?” He sighs and takes his phone out. “I’ll be back. Hold on. Just stay here.” While dialing Sehun’s number, he steps out of line and walks a few ways away from me.

  As he’s busy calling, I text Chen again.

  Why are ducks so funny again??? – Baozi

  This time, I get an immediate response.

  Because they always ‘quack’ jokes XD – Chen

  I smile. Like I said, Chen never fails to make someone smile and I need that being in this condition. I check Luhan and see him still talking. He seems pale and worried. He didn’t seem like himself as his body trembles either from fear or rage. I can’t tell, but it seems like his emotions would burst. I need something to distract me.

  Ha. Ha. Got anymore jokes? – Baozi

  Wow. Are you really that bored? Is Luhan not there with you? I mean, it’s already noon and he’s not there? If it were me, I would be there early for you! Hahahahaha~ BUT I do have another joke that I heard from a friend. Wanna hear a pizza joke? – Chen

  Sure. :3 – Baozi

  Nvm. It’s too ‘cheesy!’ XD – Chen

  Ah, him and his corny jokes. I snicker to myself and start typing.

  That was corny! Why do you have so many corny jokes????? >.< - Baozi

  Here’s a math joke! What did the acorn say when it grew up? Keke~ - Chen

  What? – Baozi

  Gee-I’m-a-tree! (Get it? Huh, huh? Say it fast) – Chen

  Okay, now he’s going a bit too far.

  Gah! Stahp it! You’re very-

  I’m not able to complete my text as Luhan appears next to me. He’s not the same; I can feel it, but he tries hiding it with a smile. “After this, we’re going to eat. I’m getting hungry.”

  “Okay.”

~*~

  For the rest of the day, we ate and went on rides. I had to carry my panda everywhere I go and put it off to the side while we ride the rides. I didn’t want to part from the fluffy creature, but I had to. What I did noticed all day was Luhan seemed troubled. A few times, I could tell his mind wasn’t clear, but I didn’t want to talk to him about it, afraid that I’ll go nowhere. I want to try, but at the same time, I don’t want things to get worse. What exactly did Sehun tell Luhan earlier?

  Our last ride is the Ferris Wheel (of course). It is where all the couples go to have some alone time, especially during night time. It’s packed, but we didn’t mind the long wait since we’re able to talk a bit. However, my feet are arching. I just want to sit down and relax!

  Finally, we get on, but stop a few times so people could come and go. I sit in front of Luhan, staring at him. He’s not paying attention to me as his eyes were out into the world. He chews his bottom lip, indicating he’s worrying over something.

  I reach over and take his hand, hoping to comfort him.

  He jumps and turns his head slowly. When he meets my gaze, he smiles lightly.

  I return the smile with my own. “Thank you for today,” I say quietly.

  “I’m glad you had fun.” He laughs. “I sure did. You weren’t scared when we rode the rollercoasters? I mean, you were holding me pretty tightly and screaming on the top of your lungs!”

  I blush. Ah, he saw another pathetic side of me. “I’m just not used to riding rollercoasters that’s why.”

  He reaches over for my other hand and takes it in his. His warm grip soothes me as we get higher and higher, closer to the sky. We stop at the very top, causing our cart to rock a bit. I hold him tightly and stare at our bracelets, and then to the panda. “How can I repay you? You gave me so much and all I’ve given you was a pencil.” I feel like I owe him. He’s done so much for me.

  He shakes his head and brings my right hand to his lips, pecking the back of my hand lightly. He whispers into my skin, loud enough for me to hear, “I don’t need anything physical from you. I just want you to be with me at all times. Your love is enough.” His lips curve into a smile. Slowly, his eyes and head move up and he advances towards me.

  I close my eyes, waiting for those soft lips against mine. They do, lightly brushing against the corner of my lips. He gives me butterfly kisses, pecking closer and closer to the middle of my lips until they meet, fitting with each curve.

  “I love you,” Luhan mutters as he presses his forehead against mine.

  I smile lightly. “I love you, too, Luhan.” I truly hope this relationship will last because I can’t think of a day where I don’t see my Hannie. My world would be nothing without him.