Choice

The Red Thread of Destiny

  I run after him. I run after Chen as fast as I can before I could lose him. He manages to head outside in the garden until I grab his arm and pull him to face me. There was no doubt that he was shocked and he had no tears on his face, but it was clear he got the wrong idea. I huff and puff, catching my breath and wondering why he would run away so suddenly. I say nothing and let my actions do the work. I pull him towards me and hug him.

  "Xiumin..." His voice is soft.

  "Are you stupid?" I mutter. "Were you not listening to me at lunch?"

  "But you and Luhan-"

  I let him go and pinch his nose. "I thought you're smart enough to realize that I would never betray anyone even though they've hurt me." I stare at him. It's a wonder why he fell in love with me. I always believed I was ordinary and plain towards my friends. I thought the only time a person would be interested in me is when we've just met, and that person is simply curious of what I'm like, but once those introducions are over, I'm just another friend, nothing more and nothing less.

  He forces a chuckle, but chokes as he realizes he was acting a bit childish. "So you're not going back to Luhan?"

  I shake my head and hug him once more. "No, he just came to apologize and I accepted it." I pause as I remember the reason why Luhan broke up with me. "He's moving back to China."

  "What?" His reaction was just like mine. Even I didn't expect Luhan to leave so suddenly. "When?"

  "I don't know, but it was why Luhan broke up with me. He didn't want me to wait while I could do so much more." I can't say anymore. I didn't know what to say and how to explain this to him. Nothing  goes together as I'm finding the words to say. No matter how much I want to be with Luhan in the past, it is time to move on. It's time for me to look forward towards the future and not be stuck in time. I need to see what's in front of me, not behind me.

  Chen pats my head. "This is one of the reasons why I like you, Xiumin. You have a really kind heart. You're not the only one who I've met that's kind, but you're my favorite because you stand out with your smiles and warmth. It's a shame Luhan has to let you go, but that gives me a chance, right?" He laughs, returning to his same usual, goofy self.

  I bite my lip, holding in a laugh. I've made a choice. I'm choosing to start over while keeping the memories I have. I'm choosing to move on. I playfully punch Chen's shoulder. "You idiot."

  He rubs were I hit him and pouts. "Did I say you're kind? Well, now that I think about it, you're not kind at all!"

  "What do you mean?"

  "You just hit me!"

  "I've always done that!"

  We laughed wholeheartedly. Truly, Luhan and Chen are the two people I would never want to let go. Surely, those two were one of the few who gave me happiness and I'm glad they came into my life dispite all the hardships along the way. One day, I'll be able to repay them, but for now, just being with them is enough.

  At that moment, the bell rings, indicating lunch was over. Chen snaps his head towards me and exclaims. "Last one to class has to carry the other's book the whole day tomorrow!" Without a warning, Chen runs inside.

  I didn't for a moment as I'm trying to process this, but when it finally gets to my head, I run inside. "HEY! That's cheating! You didn't even give a count!" Hopefully, after high school, my life will be just as memorable as this. Hopefully, whoever I meet in the future or whoever stays from my past will give me the same happiness as the people around me now.

  There will never be a day that I've regretted anything.


*Author's Note:

  THE END! :)Love ya for staying with me till the end.