VI: The Wolf and the Gentle Lamb

Dark Visions

My next two classes, Calculus and Chemistry go by in a daze. My mind occupied by the warning Kris gave me, Chen being rude, my recurring vision and of course Kai.

Fourth hour is Korean, I stand in front of the room trying to decide a place to sit. I try to sit next to a girl who is gossiping to her friends in front of her and filing her nails, when she puts her textbook on the chair before I can sit down.

 

“I don’t think so.” she says with a flick of her hair.

 

She has long light brown hair with pink/purple highlights and cat shaped eyes that match her catty attitude.

I don’t want to sit by you anyways. I keep walking and see a girl with a black bob that beckons to me.

 

I nervously walk up to her and say “Hey.”

“My name is Min” She pats the seat next to her and I sit down.

I point to the rude girl I just had the pleasure of meeting, “Who’s that?”  

tara_n4_kpop_650-430.jpg

 

         “That’s Jiyeon and her crew, Eunjung, Hyomin and Areum . They are kind of the queens of our school. You see the girl infront of her with the red sweater and short hair? That’s Eunjung, her dad is the CEO of a big company. She is dating D.O. ” Min points to a boy with big eyes who horses around with his friend. “See that super tall boy standing next to him? That’s Hyomin’s boyfriend, Chanyeol .”

 

        “Wow. You know everything about this school... what can you tell me about Kris and Kai?”

Min grins at me, “Anything you need to know. For one they hate each other, no one really knows why except their inner circle of friends.”

 

        “Oh.”  that doesn't really help.

 

         “ I saw you talking to Kai today.” she wiggles her eyebrows at me.

 

I feel a blush coming on “He was just helping me with my classes!”

 

           “I would be careful, Jiyeon has her eyes on him. Trust me you don’t want to cross her” Min says as her voice grows quieter and her eyes glaze over.

 

Before I can question her about what’s wrong, the teacher comes in and class begins. Min and I pass notes throughout the class and I smile. Friend No. 2! Awesome >.<

Mr. Woo is reciting an about old proverb about wolves while I look outside the window marveling at how beautiful the cherry blossoms look.         

                                From a distance, the wolf is beautiful but nearby a predator...

 My eyes fall on a man in a trench coat who is looking up at the school as if searching for something. When our eyes meet, he smirks and his eyes turn bright red. I blink thinking I have seen wrong, but when I open them the man is gone. I stand up to get a better look, but I don’t see him at all. I turn away from the window to see the whole class including Mr. Woo staring at me.

           “Joesonghamnida” I bow and sit back down.

Min whispers to me “What was that about?” Mr. Woo continues the proverb.  

                                       ...The wolf always carries away the gentle lamb.

         

          “Hmm oh. I just thought I say someone out there.”

The bell rings and I run out of the room before Min can catch me. I drop my stuff off in my locker and head to the bathroom to wash my face. I splash water on my face hoping it will help. I look at my reflection in the mirror and sigh.               “Get it together Marina.”

I hear voices nearing the bathroom, so of course my first impulse is to hid in one of the stalls. It’s Jiyeon and her crew.

 

         “Ahhh~ Kris is so hot!”

 

       “Isn’t he? And badass too.”

 

       “If I can’t get Kai then at least I have Kris” Jiyeon says cackling.

 

Eunjung chimes in “Was I the only one who saw Kris drag that new girl into a empty room? I wonder what their relationship is..”

 

    “Don’t worry about that little dweeb, I bet he was telling her to bug off.” Jiyeon says reapply her lip gloss. “Let’s go to lunch, so we can put Operation Date Kai into action.”

 

They all laugh and head towards the cafeteria. I walk out of the stall and fix my clothes. Not if I can help it. I think with new determination as I march towards lunch.

           I walk past the long line hoping to get a glimpse of Kris or the boys. But then I remember what they said before school. Guess I will sit with Min, if she isn't too mad at me. I pay for my lunch and then realize I won’t find her in this big room of people. I decide to just sit at an empty table by the window. I watch the snow falling outside and am about to put a piece of kimchi in my mouth when I hear someones tray clink against the table. I turn and see Kai smiling at me, like it’s the most natural thing ever.

 

“Hey” Kai steals a slice of my pork and dips in into the peanut ssamjang.

“Yah!” I say noticing how everyone is watching our whole interaction.  I see Jiyeon glaring at me like I just stole her favorite toy, maybe I had. I smirk in satisfaction.

“You sure you want to be sitting with me?”

His face breaks into a crooked smile “Would I be here if I didn’t want to?”

I blush and look away, just in time to see Kris walking towards me with the boys including Chen. I grimace. They must really hate Kai if even Chen is coming over here.

Kai sees my expression and turns to see what I am looking at.

 

He chuckles “This should be interesting” he gets up and meets Kris halfway.

They are too far away for me to know what they are saying.They stand there talking before Kai’s friends join the circle. Then the two groups leave the cafeteria. As the door closes signaling their exit, everyone's attention turns to me.

 

I groan and lower my head, “ Great”