XX: Guardian

Dark Visions

Kris POV

      After checking on you, and seeing you are fast asleep I go downstairs into the living room to see what the guys are up to. I know I was being jealous and childish by storming away but I can’t help the way I feel about you. I feel like I constantly need to have you in my sight so you don’t suddenly leave me like you abruptly came into my life.

      I flop down on the couch with a sigh. Tonight is a full moon so I guess its better that you are asleep, safe and sound in bed. When we shift it’s hard to keep the same priorities and morals we have when we are human. Our body react more on animal instincts than our human emotions, which can put the people around us in danger.  Even though I would never do anything to hurt you, it’s hard for all Shifters to keep their humanity and morals when they shift.

      Its a few hours before midnight when we leave the house and head out into the woods to shift and roam freely. The boys are restless from all the hormones that come with the upcoming shift but also with something else. I smile when I realize my pack has the same worried thoughts as I.

      "Where is Marina? She said she was going to the bathroom," Lay asks me when I sit beside him.

      He appears nonchalant but I can hear the underlying worry in his voice. The room goes still as the rest of the boys wait for my reply. The only sound is from the TV that is playing some kind of action movie. Their concern is so thick and heavy, it’s almost palpable. It's crazy how a single girl can have us so wrapped around her finger that my pack could be reduced to pups quivering with worry.

       "Sleeping," I answer keeping my eyes on the television screen. All the boys exhale in relief.

Xiumin is the first to comment, "So early? She didn't even eat dinner yet. Do you think we should wake her up to eat with us?"

Chen laughs, "Yeah because she would definitely want to eat raw, bloody steaks for dinner."

      Everyone chuckles at his joke. We're werewolves; we like to eat raw meat. It’s an honorable alternative to hunting humans like the good majority of our race does.  

     We especially need to eat more tonight because we are going to need the energy and to satisfy our hunger so we don’t attack anything in the woods, including humans. But you... you’re human and you're kind of a neat freak. So you eating raw steaks would be hilarious. Humans for some reason prefer their meat to be cooked with the blood all dried up. Yuck. My nose scrunches up in disgust at the thought of eating it like humans do.

      Lay stands up, “We could always cook one for her. I’m going to go wake her up; she shouldn’t go to bed without eating. It’s unusual for her.” He walks out of the room and I watch him, catching the look of unease on his face. Why? Before I can question him about it, Tao nudges me averting my attention and Lay slips away.

         Tao with laughter still in his voice says, "Imagine her as a Shifter! She would be the cleanest and most dainty little werewolf ever!" We all erupt into another fit of laughter because the thought is so bizarre.

         "I bet she would eat the steak with a fork and knife taking small little bites. She would probably dab her face when a little drop of blood got on it," Luhan adds before laughing again, his eyes disappearing.

           I smile at the image Luhan paints into my thoughts. I would be so happy if you were a Shifter, it would make so many things easier. I wouldn't have to be so careful around you. We could shift and run in the woods together at crazy speeds. We could chase after each other and wrestle on top of the soft moss on the ground. I could show you my favorite spot in the woods; it’s atop this really high cliff that you wouldn't be able to climb being a human. It overlooks the whole woods; you can see the small stream that runs through the trees, our house and all the trees and tiny animals. I love going there and watching the sunrise. It reminds of when I would do it in Canada. When I only had my human form. When I was with... Elle.

The little fantasy I created comes crashing down at the thought of my first love. My first love that died because of me and who I was, who I called family. I lower my head and clench my teeth as all the bad memories come flooding in. I don't deserve to fantasize about you being a Shifter, about having a happy life. Not until I avenge all the humans, like Elle, that have died at the hands of Shifters. Not until I stop Kai and bring about change to the Shifter world. I can’t allow myself happiness while Shifters continue to harm humans.

I scan the room and look at the guys. Xiumin, Luhan, Lay, Chen, Tao, they all feel the same as I but they are counting on me to lead them into their futures, a better future where humans and Shifters live in harmony. And I will not disappoint. If that means staying away from you, then so be it. I'll have to push my feeling aside to fulfill my mission. I have to avenge Elle.

I guess it’s good you're not a Shifter because then I wouldn't be able to restrain myself from pretending I'm capable of having a happy ending.

 

Your POV

Even though it’s night now I make my way through the woods, surprisingly keeping my sense of vision through the wall of darkness. The snow continues to rain down from the sky and I take off my gloves so I can feel the fluffy matter rub against the roughness of my palm before melting and slipping through the cracks of my fingers.

I gaze up at the visible stars and the red full moon above me. The moon is in fact red. Xiumin said only humans from ancient human families and Shifter see the red hue of the moon but I can see it just fine. I amuse myself and wonder which one I am, it’s hard when I have no idea who I am or where I’m from.

I lower my head and continue travelling through the thick woods. The trees stand tall and proud, when I brush past them their bristly needles tickle me as I knock off the accumulating snow. Their branches provide me some shelter from the snow but it still manages to cover my clothes. The snow sticks and doesn’t melt away, I look behind me and see my footprints that have tainted the white blanket that has taken residence over the forest and all its inhabitants.

I pause and just take in the view. I breathe in the cold air and my teeth chatter in protest. I sling my backpack off my shoulders and take out my thermos of coffee. I bring the mug to my lips, granting the hot liquid excess through my lips and down my throat until it warms my insides like a fire.

I don’t know how long I’ve been walking in the woods but I could spend eternity here. My earlier fear of entering this place has entirely disappeared; I find comfort in the large moon looming over me. It’s red tint reminding me of the boys I’m doing this for.

 

It feels like my senses come alive in this forest. I can hear every rustle of leaves, the light whoosh of owls’ wings as they take flight from meters away. My ability to hear this alarms me but I just sum it up to being a symptom of this magical forest. My skin tingles from the wool gloves laced around my fingers, it’s like I can feel every fiber of the fabric. The lingering taste of the sweeten coffee remains on my tongue, igniting every taste bud on its surface. I can smell the fresh pine and minty fragrance of the woods. I can see through the darkness to the eyes of a deer cautiously watching me like I’m a predator. With the way I’m feeling, I might be. The woods and the moon above me give me this new found feeling of strength. I feel like I’ve become a part of the woods.

 

I continue walking, traveling deeper and deeper into the woods. I don’t stop walking until I come to a small clearing where the trees seem to curve and bend inwards as if wanting to shield it away from curious eyes. As I push away the low hanging branches and other things obscuring my path, my eyes fall on a seemingly abandoned cabin. The dull gray structure is surrounded by mounds of snow. A faint orange glow comes from the cabin and I pause. I never knew there was another resident so close to us before, I’m surprised Luhan, who goes out on weekly trips through the woods to mark the territory and makes sure no one lives too close, hasn't found this cabin.

Maybe this is the person I’m looking for. The 13th Shifter. The thought compels me forward and I step into the clearing towards the illuminated building. I shiver and wrap my arms around myself, as the night has dragged on the temperatures have dropped drastically. I come to a halt when the light turns off and the house becomes dull and gray. My eyes scan the house for any signs of movement or a human when I spot a black figure that almost blends into the darkness of the night.

My breath catches and I feel like my heart stops when a black wolf saunters out from behind the house. The built of the wolf is larger than a regular wolf. It looks like a wolf on steroids, with huge bulging hind legs and paws probably as big as my face. I know that if it stood on its back legs it would be taller than me.
 

As if sensing my presence it turns it head and stares at me with its piercing red eyes. Its a couple hundred yards away from me but my eyes can catch how it tilts its head, lips pulled into something that might resemble a smile. It opens its mouth and exposes its elongated canines. I don’t think it sees me as an intruder but I'm still afraid of this massive animal. It throws back its head and lets out a low howl that pierces through the silence of the night. Don’t wolves howl to let other wolves know where they are or when they see another wolf?

My body goes numb and I sharply swallow my fear but it tastes like acid on its way down my throat. I stare at the predator before me, trying to gauge its next move but in the blink of an eye the black wolf is gone, vanishing into thin air leaving terror in its absence. I start to shake as a feeling of dread fills me up. The woods become still and silent, which is not a good sign. The wind stops whistling and the snow stops falling. My eyes frantically search for the wolf but the night seems to get darker adding to my sense of panic.

I take tense steps backwards knowing that I need to leave. Now. I turn my head this way and that, trying to catch a glimpse of the wolf, and take bigger steps backwards.  I take a step back with my right leg but freeze when my body hits something hard and warm. I don’t need to turn around to know there is someone behind me. My breath catches and my eyes start to water from the fear. A deep voice breaks the silence and vibrates through my body sending tingles of fear through me.
 

“Leaving so soon?”

 

Kris POV

Everyone is already on their feet even before Lay comes thrashing into the room.  Having picked up on his frantic footsteps down the stair with our sensitive hearing and smelling the thick blanket of fear that encases him, we are alert and on guard. Shifters are fairly afraid so this has us all cautious and curious.

“What’s wrong,” I bark out when he comes into view. I try to read the emotions that dance across his face with his many expressions. It’s a mix of anger, confusion and worry. His eyes are bright red as he begins to twitch and convulse. The other guys gasp in shock. Whatever happened really shook him up if it’s triggering him to shift. That’s when it clicks; Lay went to go check on Marina. She’s in danger. My eyes widen at the realization and I dash past Lay and down the hall towards the staircase. I hear Xiumin yell after me but I don’t stop.  

“Spit it out already Yixing!” Luhan yells.

“It’s Marina. She’s gone.”

I don’t feel the steps beneath me as I fly up them, the panic and urgency of the situation makes my movements faster. It can’t be true, she can’t be gone! I race down the hallway I’ve walked down so many times and burst into Marina’s room. My eyes quickly scan the room, taking in her empty bed and the open balcony doors sending the cold wintery air blowing through the room, it feels like the freezing wing courses into my bloodstream freezing up my heart along with the air. It feels like my heart drops and shatters on the floor, she really is gone.

Was the shock of learning we were werewolves too great for her? Can she not accept who I am just like Elle done? I don’t have to look to know the rest of the guys are behind me, their sounds of disbelief and grief announce their presence. I slowly walk forward, towards the open doors where you left through not too long ago. I keep walking until I’m fully outside, I quickly turn and punch a hole into the wall of the house from the pain and hurt I’m feeling. The guys rush towards me but I still them with a piercing glare. I pull my now bloody, throbbing knuckles away from the wall.

The pain in my hand doesn’t even compare to the pain I feel in my heart. I begin to take out pieces of the siding that have embedded themselves into my skin but then I freeze. My body stiffens and I stop breathing from the scent the wind brings wafting into my nose. The rest of the guys catch the scent and they stiffen too.

Tao stumbles forward, eyes wide in fear “Is that...”

I turn my head in the direction of the woods where the stench is coming from, not believing it either.  “Another werewolf? Yeah.”

I hear hisses and growls from the guys as I confirm their suspicions.

“But k-Kris...Marina is out there too. What if...” the usually smart- Chen becomes speechless, not wanting to finish his sentence.

An overwhelming surge of anger and protectiveness whelms up inside me and I feel the shift begin. My head snaps back and I start to convulse and twitch, hair coming out of every pore of my body. I scream out in agony as my DNA begins to change.

The balcony isn’t large enough to contain my Shifter form so I decide to jump off the balcony. By the time my feet, no my paws, touch the ground I’ve completed the transformation. I hear several thuds from behind me and know that my pack has also shifted from the telepathic bond we now share. I raise my head and look up at the huge burgundy colored full moon, letting out a long howl that my pack echoes. I crouch down and then launch into a sprint headed directly into the woods. The guys wordlessly following after me, all that can be heard is our paws thumping against the ground as we move at inhuman speeds, not even wolf speeds, we are beyond that now. We are Shifters, werewolves, a pack. Only one thought fuels our legs and mind.

Find Marina.

 

Your POV

I slowly turn my head to look at the male afraid that if I make any sudden movements he will harm me.  I turn around fully and sharply inhale as my eyes fall on the guy looming in front of me. He smiles a boyish grin down at me and his eyes crinkle with excitement. I know without a doubt that he was the black wolf I saw a few minutes ago. He seems to be a few years older than I and has thick black eyebrows that arch slightly as he peers down at me.

He is handsome and he seems to know it, as he crosses his arms over his chest in a confident manner. He’s tall, maybe even taller than Kris and he’s built like a tree with bulging biceps visible in his tight black long sleeve shirt. He’s clad in all black, black jeans, black combat boots and his hair is the color of ink slicked up but soft looking. The brownish-crimson color of his eyes marks him as a Shifter.

Something about him is faintly familiar but I can’t pinpoint it, something about his eyes. They are soft and warm, I see no intent to harm me but you can never be sure. When I try to recall any memories containing him I hit a mental wall. It’s like my mind doesn’t want to remember him. He leans in and I move back as his nose twitches. I give him a questioning look and his lips curl up into a smile.

“You reek of fear. Why are you afraid? ” He asks with a playful tilt of his head.

“Why do you think I'm afraid? I'm not afraid. I'm perfectly fine. It’s not like some random guy didn’t just appear behind me or anything. Heh,” I ramble on taking miniscule steps away from the boy, hoping he doesn't see my movements.

My eyes dart to the trees behind him where I wish to escape into then down at a broken branch at my feet that if necessary I could use as a weapon.  

“No you are,” he says in a matter of fact way taking his own small steps towards me. He picks up a pine tree branch with the bristles and twirls it around his fingers.

“I can smell your fear. It’s one of those things Shifters can do, but I bet you already knew that," he taunts giving me a pointed look as he picks bristle after bristle off of the branch.

I'm sure he's hinting at the fact I live with six Shifters but what I don’t understand is how he knows that.

"You still ramble when you're scared. Just like old times.” His voice is teasing but his eyes get a faraway look as if he’s looking at me but not really seeing me. 

My body stiffens. What does he mean by "just like old times?"

His eyes lose their wistfulness and he looks back down at me with flashing red eyes. After he litters the floor with the green needles, he throws the now bare branch on the floor and stomps on it, grinding it into the ground. I don’t think I will ever get used to seeing Shifters eyes change color.

“It seems like you don’t recognize me. You probably can’t remember much huh? It’s a pity but oh well, I’m just glad that you followed my instructions in that note and came here. I was a little worried you wouldn't.”

My eyes widen and I stare at him. So he was the one who sent me the poem? He’s the guy in the trench coat? I stumble backwards at the realization that he’s probably been watching me for awhile and almost fall over from the big rock conveniently placed behind me but the strange male reaches out and catches me.

“Whoa careful there,” he chuckles wrapping his long slender fingers around my wrist. I’m jerked forward by the momentum of his strength. His fingers feel warm but strong against my skin. Once again I'm struck by the sense of familiarity I get from this guy when his skin comes in contact with mine. I pull my arm from his grasp and hold my arms close to my chest.

"Who are you?" I manage to squeak out. I hate being in the dark about things especially when he continues to rub the fact that he knows a secret about me in my face. He runs his hands through his hair to shake some of the snowflakes off and I get a glimpse of a strange moon tattoo on his arm before he lowers it.

BiC-AWmGD6ZMuzXy61wEJXQjbO6CNIkefBMuePKS

"Oh right I haven't properly introduced myself. Or should I say refreshed your memory of who I am yet." He grins and his perfect teeth shine at me. I roll my eyes. I'm starting to get annoyed because he continues to tease and taunt me. Somehow he knows that a part of my memory is missing, its apparent by the way he keeps mentioning remembering, memories and the past. I want answers and I want them now. I cross my arms over my chest and lock eyes with him, glaring. I don't know where this boldness is coming from but I'm going to stick to it.

"Well go on then. Refresh my memory, tell me who you are." There is an edge to my voice and I’m sure he hears it. His frowns and breaks eye contact with me, apparently not liking my new attitude. When he looks back at me I'm surprised to see sincerity has replaced his features. Tucking his hands inside his pockets he stares down at me with such unwavering scrutiny that I fidget under his gaze. In his low booming voice he answers, “I’m Kim Woo Bin. Your Guardian."

My forehead crinkles in confusion, “My Guardian? What’s that supposed to mean?”

All arrogance and playfulness leaves his face and he sighs, eyes full of sincerity. “I think it would be easier to show you then to tell you.” He takes a step closer to me and I watch him carefully, not sure what he intends to do. He raises his hand towards my face and I flinch in response and he quickly drops his arm to his side. He stares at me with his hands up in a calming manner like one you would use with a dangerous animal.

“Trust me okay? I promise you everything will make sense after this.”

I scrutinize him, wondering why exactly I should comply but then I realize he has the answers, he knows about me and if touching me somehow helps why not? I take a deep breath and allow myself to recklessly trust this stranger. I nod and take a tiny step forward, not breaking eye contact with him. He grins and raises his hand once again, slowly bringing it closer and closer to my head.

I gaze into his eyes and once again I feel like the dark brown of his irises are really familiar, like I spent a lot of time looking into them. Before I can think about it anymore the soft pads of his fingers come in contact with my forehead and I gasp because a surge of pure electricity passes through my body. My eyes roll to the back of my skull and the last thing I hear is “See you on the other side,” before I’m into the familiar dark void of my consciousness. A vision.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:  Updated: April 5, 2014

Woowwww it has been awhile guys. I’m not going to make excuses I just hope you guys will forgive me and enjoy this long chapter <3 <3 Sorry :/