Chapter 14

Beautiful Disaster

Chapter 14

Kwon Yul followed the sight of the pink stilettos across the vibrantly active backstage as the latter hurried off from the make-up artist back to her station. Carrying for her a box filled with numerous accessories, he quickly stood by her as the latter attended to the model waiting for her to finish up her set. The female model was staying still while the fashion designer does her work. It was getting a bit too stressful backstage and Kwon Yul could feel it filling up the atmosphere. Much to his surprise, this fashion world was no different from his field. Pressure to do well and impress the potential customers was as nerve-wrecking as it was on saving life at arson or vehicle accidents. Though their purpose differs but the work to it was quite familiar.

“Next set in 60 seconds! Line up!” informed loudly by the stage director, who was leaning against the railing of the small stairs leading up to the stage. Rushes of feet and soft indistinct utterance soon engulfed the atmosphere and everything was so fast for the fire-fighter. Keeping himself to the side by the clothes rack, he kept blinking his eyes as the image before him started to jumble up. Knowing it to be his third time that night, all Yul learned was that he needs to keep calm and get out of their way. And it worked.

Once the music started to play from the stage, the situation backstage had turned in that rare serene state. From afar, Yul saw Kim Hyoyeon and her colleague, Luna, slumped onto a couch by the refreshment table, leaning against each other while drinking up bottle of soda. Right at the corner, Yoon Bora was sitting on a vacant stool by the make-up and resting her head down as a make-up artist approached her starting to play with her hair. The woman, instead of telling the make-up artist off and leave her be, let the latter fix her up because there’s no need to look like a drag in something she’s best at. It does strike a curiosity in Yul whenever he observed Tiffany in her professional zone. And what compliment this, making it worth it, was the fact that Kwon Yul was actually behaving well. No goofing around. No random childish fit. No that ‘Idiot’ Yul to ruin it up for her.

“Are you gonna miss this place?” Hwang Tiffany softly started. Kwon Yul turned to the fashion designer and found her sitting – legs spread out front – on the small platform. She had her head dropped low as she lightly hitting her right knee with her hand. She exhaled, followed by a short hearty laugh. “I bet, after what you’ve gone through and how bad I treated you, you cannot wait to get out and trash-talk about us to your friends. And off on a mission to bring the TREX down to pieces.” She grinned. “Well, you should’ve let this place burn down in the first place.”

“Not everything is worth to trash talk about,” Kwon Yul replied. The latter lifted her head, only to find the fireman holding out a cold bottle of water for the tired fashion designer. Tiffany gladly took it, gradually drinking the cold content. By her, Kwon Yul sat down, drinking his own bottle of water, carefully not to let the vapour drip on his borrowed suit.

Tiffany looked on, slowly smiling, finding it sort of silly for someone like Kwon Yul to be concern on such matter that so unlike his own personality. Not wanting him to worry on such nonsense, Tiffany reached out and took the bottle away, which the latter turned to her looking confused. Seeing her smiling, with no hint of urging revenge which he was honestly hoping to happen and done with, made him really curious. And even scared for his life. Hours had past and for sure, the little ‘situation’ was still fresh in her mind, as well as his. But why didn’t Hwang Tiffany put it out there? Did something else happen when Yul slept in her bed?

The Fireman blinked, shaking off that thought. His eyes met with the whiteness of the curtain rose up around that special station. Folds of the fabric swayed side to side accompanied by a sound of fast breeze from a nearby machine. He exhaled. Then, something beside him somehow pulled him, shifting his head a little. He turned and Hwang Tiffany, still sitting there, staring at him.

Yul was taken aback, blinking faster. Of course, why wouldn’t you? After knowing how she was personally, it will make you wonder why in the first place.

He expected her to look away. Beat him with the bottle. Or maybe with that pair of scissor on that small table behind her or that clipboard left alone on the platform. Anything that could inflict pain to the fireman. Just something that screams Hwang the Terrible. But the thing is, she stayed. Looking back at the fireman with this dazed look, almost… somehow… looked startled. Yet she held it. Very much unlike the image of the strong fashion designer TREX ever had. The pair of brown orbs met for the longest, for the second time. The first was that morning, in the comfort of the pink themed bedroom. It was that same gaze.

“Yul-ssi,” Tiffany started, holding on the gaze, “about this morning—“

“I’m sorry.” Kwon Yul blurted out, looking worried. “Nothing happened, I swear!”

“Yul—“

Yul kept on, “Hyoyeon told me to help you up. I just carried you, nothing else happened, and – and I tried to leave but—but—“ Not liking how the fire-fighter cutting her off and on the verge of his ‘idiot-ness’ coming out, Tiffany forcefully clasped her palm against his mouth, silencing him for once. She flashed a shut-up-I’m-talking grin, which makes the latter slowly calming down. Seeing the latter’s shoulder relaxes, from the unintended fear of getting hurt because of the bed situation, Tiffany slowly put down her hand off Yul’s now tight shut mouth. Yul forced a smile, looking away for a brief moment.

But a voice calling for Kwon Yul had the pair’s moment cut off. Appearing at the station, with her hair half looked like a lion and half flat, Yoon Bora, who was holding out her phone and looking at Hwang Tiffany with worries. “We have a problem!” she cried out.

**********

Jung Jessica was not so sure about what she was thinking since the beginning of the event. She and her sister, Jung Krystal, had occupied the third row seats located at the right side of the runway platform. And they were looking over at Kim Hyoyeon’s special guests, who were sitting at the first row, just by the foot of the runway. Her eyes may seem to pay attention to the lines of outfits paraded on the platform but she couldn’t help turning her gaze down to the young chef, applauding along with the other guests.

Even after the set called by the emcee, she couldn’t tear away. Just the way Lee Soonkyu presented himself that night made Jung Jessica seemed to be in awe. Even though she likes the chef get-up on him, with that apron around his waist and his signature rolled up sleeves and neatly pressed collar, seeing him in a much stylish attire was more of a bonus. It’s crazy how she find men looked so attractive when the sight of the familiar attire will definitely looked the same on any other men. But Jessica shouldn’t really complaint about this. At least, she’s seeing him again.

The youngest Jung, who had spend a little time browsing through the catalogue of the old summer collection, looked up and was drawn for a moment to the runway. Im Yoong was seen walking the runway, parading in a rather casual summer get-up. As expected, with his international fame growing since his debut from aboard, flashes of cameras shone on him, blinding the guests instead of the model. Observing closely, Krystal knew that she just saw the male model showing off his trademark smirk.

“He likes this a bit too much,” Krystal leaned over to her sister and whispered. The latter pulled her eyes off the applauding chef to her sister. Noting the confused look, Krystal repeated what she said only then to receive the latter’s understanding. But such response for her sister was not enough and was getting suspicious.

As the camera flashes died down, Krystal noticed her sister was turning her gaze down. She followed and it lay on the guests at the bottom of the seats. It confused the girl at first who or what the latter was looking at. It could be the old bald man who was keeping his eyes at the walking model or his nagging wife, who kept punching his arm and giving him the cold stare. Perhaps it was that grown up child actor who was sitting on the second row or maybe the film director sitting by.

Music in the background changed into an upbeat one as models were again parading on the runway with different sets. Flashes of lights were seen again as Im Yoong paraded his piece, consists of specially made summer shorts and sleeveless tee with striped colour of silver and purple. Krystal watched him posing for a moment before feeling a shift at her side. Jessica was moving in her seat, leaning forward as her neck stretched out trying to get a better view in all the bright flashes. In the distance, Krystal saw the Sherbet’s Chef gotten up from his seat and walked off to the side, disappeared.

“Unnie, what are you looking at?” asked Krystal sharply. It startled the author. The latter just kept her expression as still as possible.

“Nothing.” Jessica replied.

Meanwhile, out at the front of the entrance hall; Lee Soonkyu was ing his suit as he made his way across the area, heading to the men’s room. So far, the show was a blast, well, that’s according to Kwon Seohyun, who can’t seemed to keep her excitement to herself. It just that Soonkyu was not into that kind of field, so it did have gotten boring. Keeping his pace slow, casually letting his hands into his pockets; Soonkyu ended up instead admiring the unique design of the entrance hall. It could fit well if he adapted this Italian feel to the Sherbet since major of the dishes were consisted of Italian food. But then, for that to happen, money must be involved. No matter how much the Sherbet had thrived as of late, it’d still not enough.

Just few steps from the men’s room, letting his guard down were his worse choice when someone seized a handful of his suit and dragged him off into the janitor’s closet, right in between the restrooms. Before Soonkyu could start questioning, he was answered almost immediately with a click of the room light. He frowned.

Kang Hyosung stood there in front of him, wearing a sleek black sleeve-less knee-length dress with her hair up in a stylish bun and her make-up flaunting her big eyes and full lips. She chuckled.

“Did you follow me?” Soonkyu demanded, not liking the fact that is ex-girlfriend being in the same building with someone he’s interested in. The latter playfully shook her head. “Then get out of here!” the chef insisted, now trying to push the latter out of the door. He was nearly there but Kang Hyosung stepped out of his grip and shut the door behind them.

She crossed her arms against her front and narrowed her eyes at the chef. Oh, here she comes. “So,” she started, “have you been thinking about my offer, Mr. Lee Soonkyu. I’ve given you weeks for that and I’m still waiting.”

Soonkyu quickly headed to the door but Hyosung jumped in front of him, blocking the way. “I even waited for you at our favourite hide-out. Remember? That little spot behind the playground—“ she smirked, pushing herself forward off the door, moving over to the Chef, “you know, the place where we—“ she added, lazily trailed her fingers up the Chef’s arm before snaking her arm around his shoulder. She bit her lower lips, leaning in and whispered something to the latter’s ear. As if he was electrocuted, Soonkyu pushed her off and hurried again to the door.

And again, he was outmatched. Hyosung had the Chef now against the door, her arms pinning his shoulders. Seeing the Chef stiffened before her, Hyosung grinned and said, “My offer is still open for you. Come and get it before it’s too late because someone—“she added, tracing her index along Soonkyu’s jawline, “is out to get you and Sherbet. And I know you don’t want to see your dream down the drain… come and find me and we will work this out.”

Hyosung then stood up straight, fixing her dress and added, “Now, if you excuse me, I have a date with the enemy.” She winked. “Bye, Oppa.” Pushing the Chef aside, Hyosung strutted out of the door. Lee Soonkyu quickly got out of the janitor’s closet and hurried after her.

Dumb idea.

Out of nowhere, visible to any wandering eyes; Kang Hyosung had her lips pressed against the Chef’s, lingering on to it a little longer before running off back to the Grand Hall where ear-thumping music greeted her. At the centre of the front aisle, Soonkyu stood there, feeling his mouth gaping and his head growing light. He sighed.

“Soonkyu-ssi?” came a voice.

The Chef turned to the latter and found Jung Jessica looking at him worriedly. She continued, “Are you alright? You looked … ‘red’.”

Soonkyu lifted his hand and held his face. He quickly shook his head. “No,” he then pointed at the Grand Hall and added, “I’m not really good with crowded places and loud music, I need to get away once in a while.” Jessica looked on. “Shall we go in?” He was about to go back to the hall when a hand was clasped on his forearm, holding him back. Soonkyu turned and looked down. Jung Jessica was holding on, prompting the latter to look up at the author.

Jessica then said, “I’m not good with crowded places and loud music too.” She then quickly retrieved her hand, realizing that she had been holding on to him that long. “There’s a coffee shop just across the street, we could go there until the event finish up. It’s ok if you wanna stay here instead, I totally—“

“Let’s go there.” Soonkyu insisted. The author looked at him, startled by his agreement to go along with her impromptu plan. Then seeing him smile makes her feel a bit better from all the anxiety she felt the entire night. Watching Soonkyu slowly approaching her, the pair then started to walk to the entrance side by side and off to the coffee shop the author mentioned.

*********

“Where’s Soonkyu gone to?” Kim Taeng pointed, realizing his best friend was not sitting with them. By him, Kwon Seohyun slowly turned to him and then looking at the empty seat nearby. Like the fire-fighter, she was curious. Turning to the lingering gaze of Kim Taeng, she shrugged her shoulders at him before turning back to the show. Taeng looked around the Grand Hall, hoping to find his friend wandering elsewhere but the Chef was nowhere to be found.

For him to go off searching for his best friend wouldn’t be nice because if so, he will leaving Seohyun on her own and he doesn’t want that. Maybe he could with the Jungs – he quickly turned over his shoulder, looking at where the Jung siblings sat and to his disbelief, only Jung Krystal was seen. He called her over. Krystal mouthed, ’why?’

He gestured her to the empty seat by him.

Seeing the empty seat, Jung Krystal slowly went down the rows of seat and sat down next to the fire-fighter. She leaned over and asked, “Have you see my sister?”

“Have you see Soonkyu?” Taeng asked back. They shared a look.

The Emcee at last announced the final set of the summer collection, which had the guests all hyped up, simply because of the appearance of a well-known actor who will be wearing one of the design for the summer night fashion. Reporters and fashion-experts rose up to their feet, with their camera ready and reviews to be written on their notebook. When models starting to line out of from the back, parading varieties summer nights set, cameras was flashing fast when Im Yoong walked out posing with one fancy attire. Then he turned around, about to head back, and found himself frozen on the spot and found Kwon Yul walking on the runway with the finale piece of the night. He was walking on, though appeared stiffed and stopped at the end of the runway. Unlike with Im Yoong, the amount of camera flashing this time beat his by a dozen.

Everyone was wondering where the special guest was but that was only for a brief moment. Just looking at Kwon Yul, who even though stood there looking rather awkward, was presenting him well. Behind him, Im Yoong looked on, somehow furious. As the Emcee called on the fashion designers to come up on the stage, Hwang Tiffany and Yoon Bora hurried over and stood by Kwon Yul’s side, instead of Im Yoong, as it suppose to be. The end of the event had the guests buzzing and reporters and fashion enthusiast wondering who the ‘special guest’ was.

Down by the foot of the runway, Jung Krystal and Kwon Seohyun was looking on, flabbergasted. Kim Taeng, on the other hand, was looking elsewhere, still searching for his best friend.

The flashing cameras didn’t end there. At the after party, reporters and fashion enthusiast alike (only the ones with special access passes) were surrounding the ‘special guest’ and showering the fire-fighter with questions after questions. Standing by Choi Sooyoung was trying her best to help the fire-fighter with the sudden press conference.

“Is Kwon Yul your latest additional to your string of successful models?” asked one of the reporters, who was sporting bright purple bow-tie.

Choi Sooyoung replied, “Kwon Yul is actually a volunteer from the Seoul Fire Deparment, who helped up with the fire incident earlier on this month. He’s actually not a trained model but, you can’t deny his charismatic charm on the runway, right?”

Flashes were seen again and the party on the rooftop of a nearby restaurant had gone on with a blast.

Standing by, drinking his third glass of red wine, Im Yoong was looking on with his eyes narrowed at the sight of Kwon Yul being showered with glory that meant to be his. Seizing his fourth glass of red wine from a passing by waiter, he quickly drank it up and gave it back to the waiter. He then walked out to the balcony, hoping to soothe his mind but the sight of Kwon Seohyun there alone made him to bravely approach her. Seeing this, one of the reporter followed the internationally known model and hid by the side.

“We went off on a wrong foot, Kwon Seohyun-ssi.” Im Yoong started, keeping his composure as still as possible but by the wine he been drinking, it’s not making him appear cool in any way.

Kwon Seohyun turned to him, looking annoyed by his presence and replied, “Didn’t what happened yesterday traumatize you?”

“Traumatize? Hic, I was, hic, letting your friend—do wh-whatever because I know… I know you’re not that kind of woman, Seohyun-ssi.” Im Yoong let out. “I’m giving you a one in a lifetime chance… take it.”

Seohyun shook her head. “Keep it. I don’t want some drunk model bothering me. Excuse me.” The youngest Kwon was about to walk past but, Im Yoong spreaded his arms, blocking her way. Seohyun groaned, looking at the man sternly. “Move out of the way, Im Yoong-ssi. You’re wasting your time here.”

“Don’t you feel an attraction between us, Seohyun-ssi?” Yoong suddenly let out. The latter stared at him. “I feel.. like cupid just shot his arrows on you… and m-m-me, Seohyun-ssi.”

“Sorry, I don’t have time for this.” Seohyun tried to move but Yoong still blocked the way.

“Did Jung Krystal ever mention how amazing you are to me?” Yoong mumbled, moving over to the disgusted college girl. “I bet she also mention how much I want you to be my girlfriend, right?”

“I beg your pardon?”

“Yeah, yeah… you’re my girlfriend!” Yoong stated, nodding his man wobbly. He then put his arm on the young Kwon’s shoulder and shouted, “HEY WORLD! KWON SEOHYUN IS MY GIRLFRIEND!” Seohyun tried to push the drunk model off of her but a single flash of camera was aimed at her and Im Yoong.

By the door, a reporter was smirking before running off. Im Yoong saw him and mumbled, “Oh crap… that not good!”

Seohyun pushed Im Yoong away hard and slapped him across his face before rushing off.

“YYah!” Yoong shouted, before collapsed to the ground. Inside the room, Kwon Yul who just saw his sister running out, hurried off after her. However, before he do, emerging from the balcony; Im Yoong was seen walking inside still drunk and shouted, “KWON SEOHYUN IS MY GIRLFRIEND, BEAT THAT KWON YUL!” As if on cue, the reporters swarmed over to Im Yoong and starting to question him.

Yul looked on. “Idiot say what?”

 

Author's Note:

Sorry its a little late. Next update will be in 5-6 days. Wait up for it and don't forget to write your feedback down below. Quick shoutout to the new subscribers, hey yooooooo! Thanks for reading Beautiful Disaster, I hope you'll be enjoy by this. <3