Chapter 9

Beautiful Disaster

Chapter 9

 

Empty tray in hand, taking the long route right to the back of the dining area; Goo Hara purposely took slow steps, now passing by the archway that lead to the Head Chef’s office. Through the arch, she saw the dimmed lights of the short aisle leading up to the office. Shadows had walked past behind the squared glass on the door at the end of the short aisle. There seemed to be some movement but there weren’t much of a sound.  Once past the arch, Hara approached Mr.Koo, who had been sitting on a small round table pretending to wipe the forks and spoons, and occupied the empty seat next to him.

“Hear anything?” she asked, looking on in wonder.

“Not even a drop of pin.” The older man replied, now wiping his third batch of utensils. He now held a spoon in his hand, wiping it once, looked on its silver surface, wipe it again and gazed at his reflection on it. His plan to eavesdrop on the Head Chef and his former lover had turned into a total failure. Worn out, Mr.Koo just dropped the spoon into the clean pile along with the dish rag. “They’re in there nearly half an hour now. What are they doing?”

He and Hara then titled their head to their left, their gazes past the arch. Anticipation brewing in their minds, hoping for something – even of the ordinary kind—to happen. But the picture remained the same. No such activity was spotted on that aisle and the office door.

At the front of the dining hall, packing her books; Kwon Seohyun kept glancing at the back, looking rather worried. Barely even touching her slice of blueberry cake treated by Kim Shinyoung, Seohyun then pulled on the strap of her bag, swung it onto her shoulder and moved over to the entrance. Just when she reached for the handle, Mr.Koo’s almost whispers warning pulled her back.

The Sherbet’s employees were in such rush, trying to get back to their station. Goo Hara got off from her seat, grabbed the tray and ran over to the counter. She then grabbed a dishrag, pretending to wipe off the dishes. Mr. Koo remained still, now arranging the utensils accordingly.

Down by the small aisle, the office door finally opened. Lee Soonkyu emerged, holding the doorknob while Kang Hyosung followed by. Honestly, what Kwon Seohyun was expected from this was some altercation. Isn’t that what supposed to happen? Especially coming from two people who had got out from a nasty break-up. Having said that, what happened instead struck curiosity to not just Seohyun but the rest of the Sherbets.

The former lovers walked along the aisle, speaking in such soft tone and subtle actions. Out of the arch, Hyosung then leaned in and grabbed Soonkyu’s arm, which the latter didn’t plan to reject.

“We should get together and catch up on things.” Seohyun heard Hyosung said. “Sorry about the kiss though. I thought I need to do something daring just to get your attention.”

Soonkyu slightly smiled. “Next time, try to restrain yourself. This is a family restaurant. Let’s keep it G rated.” By the front door, the pair then stopped. Hyosung retrieved her hand, stepped a little to the side and stood right in front of the Sherbet’s Head Chef.

Hyosung smiled. “It’s nice to see you, Soonkyu.” Leaning in, she s her arms around the Head Chef’s mid-section and embraced him. Feeling a little awkward by it, Soonkyu ended up hugging her back, rubbing his hand gently on her back, giving comfort.

Out of the door, out of the Sherbet; Kang Hyosung then walked the pavement before calling for a taxi. Last glance at the restaurant, she smiled and bowed at Soonkyu and got in the back seat of the vehicle. Right at that, the tension in the air gone in a snap and the employees silently sigh with great relief. Kwon Seohyun, on the other hand, thinks none of it.

Noting how Lee Soonkyu just turned and walked away without greeting the youngest Kwon; Seohyun hurried after him, slamming her bag onto the counter and tugged his arm, hard. The Head Chef turned to her, now finally looking at her with this still expression. Just when the employees thought the tension had gone, it came back biting hard.

Seohyun was looking into those brown orbs of her brother’s best friend, searching for something. Perhaps something broken. Such a thing that lead to not having an argument with a woman who broke his heart long time ago. But his eyes were still the same. They were somehow; blank this time around with a pinch of mystery.

Her grip on his arm loosened when the latter reached out, gently taking them off and held her hand in his. Just when Seohyun was about to speak her mind, Soonkyu squeezed her hand and said, “Everything’s fine… I’m fine…” he offered a smile. But that didn’t sway Seohyun’s growing concern.

Soonkyu then let go of her hand, walked over to the counter. He took off his apron, picked up Seohyun’s bag and turned to its owner. “Oppa got a request for you…”

“What’s that?”

“Can we have a little stroll?”

The youngest Kwon the nodded, only to have the young Chef offered his hand, which Seohyun eventually took. The pair then exited the restaurant, cutting off again the tension in the Sherbets.

 

**********

It was the final dress rehearsal at the Grand Hall for the upcoming TREX Summer Fashion Collection Showcase. All those long hours, jumping from the sketchbook to the mannequin, to the sewing machine and then back to the sketchbook and then making it back to the mannequin and goes on and on; Hwang Tiffany’s entire set for her presentation for summer fashion was complete. No thanks to Kwon Yul. That man was nothing but trouble for the creative thinking of Hwang Tiffany. It made her regretted so much on hiring him in the first place.

At least now, Tiffany wouldn’t be bothered much about him. Well, since the rehearsal session started, she noticed that Kwon Yul had been spending most of his time hanging around Tiffany’s best friends, instead of her. That was a good thing. At first. But now, in the last couple of days, Tiffany couldn’t help but feel annoyed yet again by that childish fire-fighter. How that man got into the service, it must be some pure dumb luck.

Keeping herself away, as others was up at the front; Tiffany was revising her work again, thinking that there may be some improvement for the showcase the coming weekend. So far, she had made adjustment to the sleeves and the collars. Well, not much of adjustment, to be honest. Not that there should be any at all. At this point of the rehearsal week, she was always the one who would stay out at the front and analyze the whole event. Somehow, as of late, what she ended up doing was staying backstage, making meaningless little adjustment, try to make some new sketches and try her best not to peek out of her section to see her friend, Yoon Bora getting cosy with the idiot, Kwon Yul.

It shouldn’t bother her. It really shouldn’t. But why was it, now, out of any time in the past that Hwang Tiffany was feeling a little lonely. Why was it that she sort of having this little ‘off’ vibe when there’s no one arguing with her? Alright, she did argued with the staffs but most of that ended well on her behalf instead of going back and forth. Even now, she started to notice that her rude remarks had gone downhill that it doesn’t even make any sense.

The thought of it made her cringed.

Tiffany dropped her sketchbook onto the make-up table before letting herself free onto the couch. Lying face first, she then rolled onto her back and stared at the ceiling. It may sound a bit hectic out at the front but here, at the back, it was like being in a deserted cave. All you could hear was the heartbeat ringing in your ears.

Tearing her gaze off the ceiling, over to her mannequin; Tiffany then observed her masterpiece, feeling so proud of herself for doing such great job. Well, now that she got her design back from the ashes, it got her into thinking that soon; she won’t be seeing that fire-fighter anymore. Who cares about the paycheck! Getting rid of that idiot Kwon Yul will be the best thing ever. But then, if he leaves and the thought of her treating him so harshly, maybe the fire-fighter might take his revenge and say bad things about her to the public. She surely doesn’t want that to happen.

Hurried to her feet, Tiffany then thought maybe now, since it won’t be long, she’ll start to treat Kwon Yul a little nicer. It won’t harm her much. Just as long as the man from the receiving doesn’t end up making jokes that can trigger another fight.

“I’ll just smile and try not to get mad at him.” She told herself, staring at her reflection in the mirror, fixing herself up. “Should be easy. Just smile. Thank him for the job well done—pfft, like he did any – no, no! Just say thanks for helping and that’s it.” She assured herself. “Smile. Say thank you and walk away… ok…”

Pulling the curtain hang around her station a little, Tiffany then got out to the large backstage with a plan to find the fire-fighter in mind. This time will eventually come anyway. Might as well do it early to avoid the awkwardness and the forcefulness on being friendly with the guy. Yeah, she’s not quite fond of him because, well, first, he destroyed her blazer and then second, for having such obnoxious personality. He may look good on the eyes but on the instead, it was as black as a coal mine.

“Say hello, thank you and walk away…” she kept telling herself. Walking along the aisle, heading over to where Yoon Bora situated her station; Designer Hwang then at last found the Bora’s station. Laughter was heard. One of which she recognized as Bora’s. Keeping her composure calm, Tiffany told herself, “Hello. Thanks. Walk away…”

Just when she was about to do so, the laughter from behind the curtain had stopped, and only with silence blanketed the moment. Tiffany cautiously seized the hem of the curtain and decided to peek into Bora’s station.  She regretted it straightaway.

Standing by the mannequin, Yoon Bora was standing still, her hand clasped onto Kwon Yul’s forearm. The fire-fighter, much to Tiffany’s shock, was standing so close to the fashion designer. Yul had his hand placed onto the nape of Bora’s neck while his head titled down leaning onto the other side of Bora’s head. But from Tiffany’s view, it was something she does not want to see.

“Yul oppa…” Bora whispered, keeping her eyes shut. “Are you—“

“Shhh… stay still.” Yul responded softly.

Not liking this even the slightest, Hwang Tiffany turned around, let go of the white curtain and stomped off back to her station. “That jerk!” she hissed. “Who does he think he is, going on kissing people like that! That jerk! I cannot believe I want to be nice to him! Ugh!”

“Did you get it?” Bora asked again.

Yul then said, “Hold still, dummy. This bandage is really small, just so you know. Let me get this cut on your eyebrow right… and… there we go. All done!” Tapping his finger gently on the cut on Bora’s eyebrow, Yul then pulled back and sighs with relief. “You folks sure get hurt a lot. Tiffany-ssi hurt her hand the other day and now you… you know, once this done, I’m talking you with me back to the fire station so I can teach you proper first-aid kit usage. Got that?”

The fashion designer nodded. “Yes, Captain Kwon!”

“Ah… I haven’t heard that in a while…” Yul proudly stated. “Good times.”

 

 

Author's Note:

Ok. Ok. I know it's short but I'll make it up by making a longer Chapter 10. Wait for it ^_^