Chapter 3

Beautiful Disaster

Chapter 3

“... Ugh... who does he think he is!?... I don’t care if it’s ‘a part of his job’, he can’t just get his hands all over me like that... doesn’t he know who I am? ... I’m Korea leading fashion designer! And my creations are much more worth its weight in gold than his life insurance or his stupid pretty face—“

Kim Hyoyeon quickly sat up on the couch she was laying on, turned to her best-friend-slash-colleague-slash-house-mate – who had been spending the long hours the moment they stepped into their house, ranting and pacing the living room – and couldn’t ignore the last few words she described the man who saved her earlier that morning. She knows what she’ll say next might anger the pink-loving-eye-smiling woman but hey, there’s no harm in teasing in such perfect timing. She raised her fist by her lips, keeping her eyes at the furious fashion designer, and cleared . As expected, Hwang Tiffany stopped her angry stomping and diverted her attention to her best friend.

Knowing Hyoyeon had gained the floor, she then elegantly got off the couch, lightly tapping her index finger against her and strutted over to her friend. “You think Kwon Yul-ssi is ‘pretty’?” she started, making the latter to stare back at her with a worried expression. Choding Hyo decided to go for the kill. “Hmm, I never thought I would ever hear such decent word coming out of your mouth especially when it comes to men.” Not liking when this was going – half of it wishing that she didn’t use that word in the first place – Tiffany decided to stay firm in her standing. She hurriedly crossed her arms and threw a fixed icy glare at her best friend. One that she uses on such crisis like this.

Even so, it didn’t alter the ‘evil’ mind of Kim Hyoyeon. ‘Oh crap, I’m screwed!’ Tiffany thought to her self.

It suddenly felt like they were in a dimly lit interrogation room. Chair and table placed in the middle with a single light bulb swinging above their heads. There was a squared mirror on the wall, where the others would gather and watch TREX most prized fashion designer crumbled under the watchful stares of Kim Hyoyeon. Sweat dripping down her temple, Tiffany prepared herself for this latest finding of the Choding’s.

“You can say it out loud, Fany-ssi.” Hyoyeon continued. “Even I think Kwon Yul is ‘pretty’, he’s kinda like Im Yoong, come to think of it. But setting that aside—“ she took a breather. “This guy just supposedly-“ adding a little air quotes with her fingers, “ruined you blazer by saving your life. And then instead of suing him, you rather have him to help you out, making a new one.”

The latter sighed.

“I know you Tiffany-ssi.” Hyoyeon added, having such fun doing this little interrogation on her best friend. “You’re never the kind of person who would back down so easily. You’re always go for the ruin, literally destroy whoever mess up with your projects. Remember when Mr. Joo accidentally poured coffee on your sketchbook? You sued him! How about Mr. Lee? He also accidentally got your skirt vacuumed and you sued him! He’s a janitor, by the way. And now, Kwon Yul-ssi. He ‘ruined’” enter another set of air-quotes by Kim Hyoyeon, growing to like this gesture after noticing the cringe in her best friend’s face, “your and I quoted, ‘million won blazers’ and you decided to ‘recruit’ him to ‘help’ you make another blazer rather than suing him like you always do to those who ‘ruin’ your project... wow, he must’ve made a good impression on you. What was it? Was it his muscle? Can you feel them underneath his uniform when he flawlessly lifted you off your—“

“SHUT UP!!” The latter shouted, throwing a small pillow from the couch right onto her best friend’s face. Who knows how she got them in her hands. However, Kim Hyoyeon didn’t cower in fear on her best friend’s sudden burst. Instead, she found it interesting and hilarious. Now, what she need to do, to finish up her ‘experiment’ was to see whether those pinch-able cheeks of Hwang Tiffany reddened or stayed as white as it should be. Dodging the pillows, now understanding why the latter brought a trunk full of them, Hyoyeon tried to see whether her studies are true.

It was!

Right next to the couch, picking and throwing pillows all over the room; Hwang Tiffany was blushing madly that her eyes had got to crescent shape making it a little confusion whether she was smiling at the situation or otherwise. Satisfied with this finding, Kim Hyoyeon dropped all the pillows she caught to the floor and ran over to the infuriating pink-loving woman and had her immediately in her most warming bear hug. The latter instantly softened by such gesture, just like magic. The angry fit she had unleashed in last few minutes had died and she just, blending in to that warming arms with a care. Hyoyeon knows so much of this woman. Some even the person herself didn’t notice. There were times she took advantage of it, just for the fun of it, but there’s always the limit she need to acknowledged. Just like this moment.

Noticing Hwang Tiffany finally calming down, Kim Hyoyeon pulled – still have her arms around the latter’s waist – looked at her. She smiled. The latter blinked a couple of times and realized that the weight she’d been putting on her shoulder from what happened earlier on had lessened. Then again, recalling the uncalled for ‘accusation’ of liking the idiotic fireman was a little too much. Now, she was just hoping that idea of hers would die down fast because Tiffany surely does not find Kwon Yul intriguing in any way at all. Putting that thought aside, she looked back at her friend and returned the smile.

Kim Hyoyeon affectionately patted her hand on the latter’s head before letting her go and started to gather the pillows scattered around the room. Soon after regaining herself back, Tiffany joined her as she arranged the pillows back on the couch. While they were at it, the front door of the two storey house then swung ajar and a woman slowly came in carrying a notebook with a pen clasped on its side, a purse and a plastic bag filled with takeaway boxes. Seeing the pair as soon as she stepped into the room, Jung Jessica greeted them with the usual. “I brought food.”

“Great! I’m starving.” Hyoyeon moved closer to the author and took the plastic bag away. She quickly headed off to the kitchen while Tiffany welcomed Jessica with a hug.

“Your phone’s been ringing since Hyo and I got back,” Tiffany informed quietly to the latter’s ear. Jung Jessica was taking off her coat and hanging it on her forearm when she heard that. The mention of her phone had her frozen for a moment but quickly regained herself by smiling this rather awkward looking smile at her best friend. Noting the reason behind that smile, Tiffany added, again so quietly, “I really think you should talk to him if you’re feeling uncomfortable on the idea of marrying him...”

“I can handle this.” Jessica replied quickly. “I’ll talk to him when he’s back...” She was about to head off out of the living room when Tiffany pulled her back, looking down at her with worried eyes. The latter placed her hand on top of the latter’s and slowly said; “Don’t worry too much, Fany. I promise I will end it as soon as he’s back. I’ll be ready till that day come.”

“I hope so.” Tiffany added, couldn’t hide away those worried eyes from her best friend. In the midst of her hectic schedule, aside from the worries and stresses from work and also for the fashion show coming soon; Tiffany was gravely concerned of the well being of her best friend. It happened not too long ago. About 3 months ago, to be precise. Right at Incheon Airport, just few seconds away of boarding the plane to Paris, France. Hwang Tiffany was about to flown aboard for a conference and witnessed something she hoped not to see in any way or time at all. Just outside the gate, next to where she was about to board to her plane; Seong Woosung, a man of great calibre in his field of work and also happened to be the groom to be to Tiffany’s best friend, had bravely committed a secret affair with a woman Tiffany learned was the very same secretary rumoured to have an intimate relationship with him. Of course, when the first rumour had spread, Seong Woosung would deny it so strongly that it actually convinced Jessica that it was a ridiculous accusation. Even Tiffany was convinced at first. But then, seeing it with her own eyes in such a place so public like this had her fooled because she was too naive to believe him. What was worst was, right then and there, Jung Jessica was there witnessing it. Tiffany expected there will be yelling or on a terrible note, a bit of fighting. However, what happened instead was that Jessica walked away. It was horrible. What happened afterwards was a mystery for Tiffany and even Hyoyeon, because even though they saw Jessica there at the airport; they had never heard her saying anything to her when they got back few days later. But there was one thing though that changed in the author.

She was quieter than her usual self. She was secluding herself for others. Every morning, she would go out and returned so late at night, with just her purse and her notebook. Tiffany or Hyoyeon could point this out to her but even so, it’ll still be the same. When Tiffany and Hyoyeon brought out seeing Woosung with another woman, Jessica would brush it off and decided not to listen to it. Now, weeks had passed; it was still the same and Tiffany knew, this matter won’t resolve until the cheater return to Korea.

Letting her fingers slipped off the latter’s arm, Tiffany just stood, defeated, and watched her best friend climbing the stairs and disappeared.

“Hey!” Hyoyeon returned back to the living room. “Is she still?”

The latter nodded. “Is it just me or are authors just too confusing to understand. Ok, I get that they think a lot but this is just...”

“She needs time.” Hyoyeon replied. “This won’t resolve until that JerkSung come back, who knows when that’ll be. I pretty sure she rather faces him in person than talking on the phone.”

Tiffany nodded. “I just hope so... I don’t like seeing her like this. It’s driving me crazy.”

“On a brighter note...” Hyoyeon continued, “I think she just found her new muse. Come.” Tiffany let her arm got hooked on and dragged out of the living room to the kitchen. On the counter, freed from the plastic bag, there were three small boxes with familiar stickers on its side. Looking closely, Tiffany noticed that it was the same box Jessica had brought home in the last few weeks. Not understanding what Hyo meant, she quickly turned to her to ask but the latter beat her to it. “Have we ever see Sica bring home takeaways especially from the same restaurant for the past weeks? Never failed. Always bringing some.”

Tiffany started to think. “This is the first, actually.”

“Exactly.” Hyo added. “And have you ever seen her waking up so early without hearing her whining about it?”

The latter shook her head. Hyo beamed. “I don’t know about you but I think someone been treating her well. Perhaps someone from this restaurant.”

“Sherbet... weird name for a restaurant.” Tiffany read the sticker.

“Look...” Hyo continued, “She may be hurting inside but I kinda see that she’s healing and we should be thankful that she’s not staying in and too immersed in herself all day. Let’s cherish this and let her have this moment of happiness.”

“If you say so...”

Not minding the conversation downstairs, upstairs in her room at the right side by the stairs; Jessica was sitting still on her bed re-reading the notes she been writing down on her precious notebook. For the past minutes now, she had been staring at a small sketch on the top left corner of the book. It was a drawing of a young man with noticeable chubby cheeks and crescent moon shaped eyes. She was so engrossed in such a sketch; the vibrating sound of her phone by her bedside was left ignored where a picture of Seong Woosung popped up along with the notifications. By far, there had been 135 missed calls and 89 messages. All had been left untouched.

**********

Meanwhile at the ‘Sherbet’s, Kwon Seohyun was smiling excitedly as she was in the front seat by the counter, watching the head chef of the restaurant, Lee Soonkyu, doing what he does best. From his impressive knife skills to the mess-free toss of the cut vegetables on the frying pan, Seohyun just sat there watching in awe. Out at the front, at the counter by the cash machine; Seohyun’s older brother was sitting there, browsing the internet using her laptop. Soon after, Kim Taeng decided to head home early and had their conversation on rumours about Hwang Tiffany (after Seohyun pointed it out just at the mention of TREX); Kwon Yul had been spending most of his time now trying to know more about his new boss.

Reading all of it seemed somewhat ridiculous. Nevertheless, it would be hilarious if any of them was simply the real deal. One that really interest Yul the most was the fact that there was never, not even one, rumour linking the fashion designer with a man (or a woman) in a sense of being in a relationship or something. But it’ll be way too impossible. In his mind, how could a woman so stunningly good-looking and have somewhat a good reputation never involve in an intimate relationship with anyone at all. She must’ve had this strong passion for her work that she dismissed completely the fact of her being a human being. There was this one article Yul read where Hwang mentioned, ‘being in a relationship is not my top priority right now, the reason why is because I would rather not have people take advantage of me than getting my heart broken.’

It’s kind of funny, in Yul’s mind. It’s just impossible.

‘Maybe if she sees me in my natural self, something might happen.’ Yul maniacally thought to himself, just imagining the point where he arrived at the office, looking rather dashing and all and have the woman fall to their knees at his good-looks. ‘If so... I will say... ‘being in a relationship is not my top priority right now, Miss Hwang. I rather have my heart broken than having people taking advantage of me.’ HAHAHA that’ll be epic!’

“He’s been sitting like that for hours. Laughing to himself.” Said the Pastry Chef, who just finished up pilling up the stocks at the back. “It’s starting to get creepy.” Standing by her was her duo half, who was about to head home after the long work.

She then replied, “He’s lucky he’s cute. If not, he’ll be in the first train to loony land.”

 

**********

“Oppa!... Yul Oppa!” The youngest of the Kwon sibling called out. Up front, Kwon Yul was walking the pavement, after putting his best yet normal clothes for his first day of working at the TREX. Behind her, his little sister was struggling to keep up. Eyes were on the fireman who leads to whispers and laughter. But Kwon Yul doesn’t seem to care of the responses because even so, he knew he looked great for the part of being in the team with the TREX. Spotting the Kwon from afar, Kim Taeng hurried over and greeted the younger Kwon first before turning to his best friend.

The coffee cup he been holding nearly fell out of his grip the moment he saw what Kwon Yul was wearing. He couldn’t let his mouth at such disaster. “Taengoo oppa!” Seohyun’s voice finally woke Taeng from the horror of Kwon Yul’s fashion. He turned to her, meeting her sad pleading eyes and listened, “Please talk him out of wearing that! It’s embarrassing! I’m afraid some ring master would come by and whip his whips at him.” Come to think of it, just looking at the disaster Kwon Yul called as his own fashion; consisted of leopard print pants, white sparkling blazer and bow tie with a bright green fedora hat, it sure makes him look like one of the attraction at the circus. That meant to be kept inside a cage.

Taeng grimaced at the sight of this. “Dude, you need a fashion intervention!”

“Nuh uh! I’m one cool mother father son and you know it!” Kwon Yul retorted, proudly standing in the busy street with such ridiculous getup.

“Mother father—what!?” Kim Taeng shook his head. This was a bit too much even on Yul’s level of insanity. “Kwon Yul, if you’re gonna go to TREX dressed like that, you’re gonna have a bad time. One that may get too physical.”

“Physical, you say?” Yul raised his eye-brow, inserting dirty thoughts into their conversation. The latter just stared in horror.

“DO NOT tell me you’re gonna wear that to see Fany.” Came a fourth voice. They all turned to find, Kim Hyoyeon, dressed up in the best that she always in, stood there glaring at the clothes Kwon Yul had on. She eyed the fireman top to bottom and couldn’t hide the disgust in her face. She quickly turned to Kim Taeng and said, “Tell me he’s not serious.”

Kim Taeng sighed. “There’s never a time I find him serious over something.”

Not liking this one bit, Kim Hyoyeon cautiously looked over her shoulder and around. As Hwang Tiffany was nowhere in sight, she marched over to Kwon Yul, pulled his ear and ordered, “My office now!!” Behind them, Seohyun hurried to Kim Taeng’s side.

“Oppa.” She tucked Taeng’s arm. The latter turned to her. “Who is that?”

“Our fairy godmother.”