Chapter 4

Beautiful Disaster

Chapter 4

 “Care for a slice of Lemon Cakes?” Kim Shinyoung, the Sherbet’s Pastry Chef, asked as she slid up along the counter, where Lee Soonkyu stood checking the inventory. He was crossing out few items down the list as he pulled his gaze up at the short bob haired woman. He let his lips curved upward on one end before he put the notepad away into the drawer by the blender. “It is still on the experimental phase. It might be sweet. It might be sour. We’ll never know. I would’ve taste them but you know how I can’t even trust my own taste buds.”

Lee Soonkyu nodded, eyeing the dessert. “I’ll give it a taste, noona.” The latter responded with a quick jab at the air. She then lifted the plate of squared lemon cakes, hung it right in front of the young chef’s face and had this cheeky grin on her face. Behind her, Soonkyu noticed were his employees still eating on their portion of Pastry Chef Kim Shinyoung’s lemon cakes. They were sitting there, pulling sour faces with bloated cheeks. Eyeing the cakes, then back up at the creator’s face then catapulted his gaze over to his employees; Soonkyu gulped.

“What are you waiting for?” Shinyoung impatiently pushed the plate up against the young chef’s chef. “There’s plenty for everyone.” Her eyes widened and sparkled, making it hard for Soonkyu to resist. What’s worse was the humming sound she made with that pouted mouth and puppy eyes. For a woman in her mid thirty, married with an 8 month old baby, she’s sure packed lot on the cuteness factor. That was, if she deemed it necessary.

Lee Soonkyu forced a smile. Reaching out to grab a slice of the, from what he noticed now was a huge squared block of the yellowish sprinkled goodness, delicacies; he in voluntarily reeled his gaze over to the rest and saw them vigorously shaking their cheek bloated heads. Worries started to cloud his mind. He could not risk being sick especially when the Sherbet was just into its ten minutes opening for the day. So many consequences ran through his minds. Each of them had endings that led him to get strapped down onto the hospital bed with a puke bucket at his side. He let his hand hanging over the dessert when a chime of the bell above the door fished him out of this troublesome moment.

“I’ll get this one!” he exclaimed, pulled out a small notepad from his apron and darted around the counter. One he had his back to the Pastry Chef; he let out a relieving sigh and pulled a thumb up for his employees, who now were washing down the dessert with soda. He might as well be thankful for the customer who came at the perfect timing. “Welcome to the Sherbets. I’m Chef Lee Soonkyu-“ he bowed, approaching the customer by the door. “Shall I sho—Oh, Miss Jung-ssi.”

Jung Jessica, now with a red coat clad to her slender frame and a pin stuck on the side of her fringe, greeted the young Chef with a lovely smile and slight bow of her head. “Good morning, Sunsaengnim.” She then shyly tucked her hair over her ear and made her way to her usual table without the of the chef. Soonkyu hurried to her side, prepare to take Sherbet’s regular customer’s order.

“The usual?” Soonkyu smiled, tucking away the notepad.

Jung Jessica nodded. With that, Lee Soonkyu made his way to the kitchen area and get ready to prepare the author’s order. Meanwhile, sitting not far, the Sherbet’s employees were glancing over their shoulders, observing the author with curiosity. The Pastry Chef soon joined them, also had her eyes at the author.

The slim-looking waitress with wild black perm-style hair murmured, “She’s been coming over here for weeks now and ordering the same stuff,” keeping an watchful eye at the author. “Don’t you guys think it’s strange?”

“Why should we complaint about it, Hara-ah.” Kim Shinyoung said, in between the bite of her lemon cake. Just on her third, she tried to control her face, noticing how sour she had made them. She smacked her lips and quickly washed down the cake with a soda from her peer’s cup. Goo Hara crossed her arms and stared again at the author. Shinyoung then added, “It’s not like she’s been bringing us bad luck. What she had done so far was giving this place the great amount of publicity without having us asking her to.”

Baek Jinhee and Kang Seungri nodded in agreement.

“That’s true, unnie. But I just find it strange. I was kinda expecting her to be in some high class restaurant uptown, drinking wine and eat caviar all day long.” Just as the conversation was sailing smooth over the topic of the Author Jung Jessica, their boss had appeared from the kitchen gently carrying cream chicken penne on a tray with one hand and the other clasped against his back. His gentle eye-smile was visible and it made the rest looked on in wonder. As of late, Lee Soonkyu had been paying more attention to his customer rather than being at the back, slaving himself over the stove.

To the Sherbet’s employees, they had always pictured Soonkyu being this strict, cold looking you man. Looking at it now, he was livelier and friendlier. Such changed in his personality had gained him – without intending to – female fans, mostly among the teenagers. Speaking of the teenagers, there some coming into the restaurant. As expected, they had their eyes settled on the young Chef before settling down to the table nearest to the counter. The youngest of the Sherbets, Goo Hara, quickly diverted her attention to the giggling girls, finding them quite irritating to come there just to ‘drool’ over Lee Sunsaengnim. As the rest got to their position, Goo Hara was about to get on to hers when she unintentionally gazed at the author.

She stood there, slightly startled.

Jung Jessica was sneaking glances as she was digging in to her penne, twisting the pasta with her fork. Looking on to where she was gazing at, it was none other than the young Chef himself. He was busying himself mixing up the fruits and ice-cube into a blender. Just as Hara was about to head off, she then, again, unintentionally gazed at the young Chef, whom she noticed was looking at the author with such longing eyes. Hara pressed her lips hard, trying to mum her exciting discovery.

***********

At the TREX, the atmosphere weren’t as warming at it was down at the Sherbets. Occupying the dressing room down on the first floor, pressuring the young fireman to try out as many outfits as possible; Kim Hyoyeon was pacing the floor, waiting for her fifteenth try to succeed. On the couch, Kim Taeng and Kwon Seohyun looked on, getting bored of this situation. Well, they were not exactly bored of the help they received from the fairy-god mother. It was more from the other receiving end. Every set that were picked, all were useless to the personality of Kwon Yul. One had its shirt on too bright. Another had the pants too tight. Another was just a disaster in comparing to the fireman’s hyper persona. Kim Hyoyeon had always been daring in her line of work. ‘Out-of-this-world’ was her vital concept when it comes to fashion designer. Even so it termed in such a way, at least the concept fitted well with the models given to her. Thinking of it now, she somehow wonder whether her wild style only fitted well with models rather than a normal citizen, especially citizen who has personality as wild as the pair of sleek leather pants and animal printed V-neck.

Now, she was forced to tone down her artistic perspective and head for the casual style. Perhaps just enough to not get TREX number one, Hwang Tiffany, into a destructive rampage.

“This is so not my style, Hyo-ssi.” Exclaimed Kwon Yul from beyond the curtain.

Kim Hyoyeon sighed. “It is the style if you don’t want to get yourself embarrassed and kicked out. This is the normal you can get, Kwon-ssi.”

“But I looked ridiculous!” whined the latter, making Kim Hyoyeon groaned.

“Come on Yul, it can’t be that bad!” Kim Taeng showed his support.

Kwon Yul loudly whined. “Here I come.”

Just as the revelation was about to be unveil, the main door to the dressing room was pushed over, making the three at the front of the curtain to shift away. Kim Hyoyeon hurried to the doorway of the inner section of the dressing and peek her head. Out of nowhere, Hwang Tiffany was seen walking into the outer section of the dressing room, looking rather puzzle. She then turned to her phone and dialled a number. In horror, it was Kim Hyoyeon’s phone that was ringing.

Noticing the familiar ringtone of her best friend, Hwang Tiffany looked up, looking around wondering where the sound came from. Then as she figured out that it came from the dressing room up front, she walked towards there briskly, swinging her purse by her forearm. At the doorway, Kim Hyoyeon jumped and urgently turned to Kim Taeng and Kwon Seohyun.

“Hide! She cannot know you two are here!” she whispered, pushing and tucking both Taeng and Seohyun out of sight. When she finally had the pair hide in the shoe closet, she dashed over to the closed curtain where Kwon Yul will be, she whispered, “Don’t come out yet!” rushing a bit. However, it seemed like Kwon Yul didn’t get the message clearly. Instead of doing what was ordered, he did the opposite and lazily came out of the curtain. Now in full view, amidst the small holes the three could watch; Kwon Yul had appeared wearing this casual ensemble.

Comparing this look to his days at the fire station; it was without a doubt evidently clear that Kwon Yul could have the presence of a model. “How do I look guys?” Yul let out, not minding the fact the three weren’t there. Instead, standing at the doorway; Hwang Tiffany looked on in a dazed, still face and jaw dropped.

Kwon Yul’s hidden feature was accentuated. From his broad shoulders, to his hefty arms, down his mid-section to his legs; it was like watching a one man fashion show. Black Chino trouser clad his legs, grey buttoned up long sleeved cardigan attired his upper body on top of a dull blue flannel shirt and a pair of suede derby shoes clothed his feet. Not to mention his semi-wild hair swept sleek to the side, shining more attention to his tanned skin face. Standing there on the small platform, Kwon Yul had his arms swung by his side, just staring down at the fashion designer, waiting for her to say something. Inside the shoe closet, Kim Taeng was mumbling, “Please don’t say something stupid! Please don’t say something stupid!”

“Dashing, aren’t I, Miss Hwang?” Kwon Yul proudly pointed out, even sending the now disgusted looking fashion designer a flirty wink. The three inside the shoe closet groaned in disbelief.

Hwang Tiffany quickly picked up herself, couldn’t believe that she’d been observing the fireman with such attention and headed to the door, leaving Kwon Yul just standing there on the platform.

“Hwang-ssi!” Kwon Yul called, finally stepped down the platform. “A little compliment wouldn’t do you harm!”

“Kwon Yul-ssi!” Hwang Tiffany spun and snapped, making the latter froze immediately. She had her eyes narrowed and lips pursed as she intensely stared at the fireman. Pushing the strap of her purse to the nook of her elbow, she then crossed her arms and marched towards the latter in the most slow and endearing manner. “The reason you are here is because I’m being considerate. You have a better luck than those who mess with me in the past. I have a reputation to look after and if I just sue you, strip you off from your belongings that would make me an evil person.”  Kwon Yul stood there frozen, gazing down at those dagger-like stares. He gulped. “Now gather your clown costume and follow me. I have work for you.”

“C-clown costume?” Kwon Yul retaliated, though he failed at it as he stuttered. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

The latter scoffed. “Next time if you want to change your clothes, you should really hide those beforehand.” Tiffany pulled out her finger and pointed at the pile of bright printed clothes at the corner of the room. She then quickly stood up, tipped her head to the side and hollered, “Kim Hyoyeon! Let’s have lunch together later. You’re not getting away this time.”

“Darn!” Kim Hyoyeon hissed, coming out of the shoe closet. “How’d you know I was here?”

“Honey, I’ve known you for a long time. There’s never a little thing I missed out.” Tiffany showed her eye-smile at her best friend. But when she turned to the fireman, there goes those piercing stares again. With that, Hwang Tiffany spun, flipping her long wavy tresses at Yul’s face and strutted off to the door. At the shoe closet, slowly coming out; Kwon Seohyun and Kim Taeng tip-toed next to Kim Hyoyeon and watched Kwon Yul gathered his clothes, stuffed them into a bag, threw it at his best friend and dashed off after his new boss.

Kim Hyoyeon gradually sat down on the platform and sighed. “He’s gonna have one hell of a time, I just know it.” She looked up at the pair and added, “And I mean HELL.”

***********

A dark tinted window of a high-class van just drove out of the front parking of Incheon Airport. Dozens of screaming female fans were waving their hand-made banners above their heads and chanting a man’s name. Few even went to the extreme, got into their cars or taxis and chased after the high-class van. Inside this van was no other than the internationally famed model; Im Yoong.

Sporting a short wavy brown hair, a pair of white trouser with a cashmere sweater on top of a white shirt, a pair of casual shoes and rectangular sunglasses; Im Yoong sat at the back of the vehicle leaning his back against the seat and sighed. Sunglasses off, he then stretched out his long legs to the seat in front of him, not minding the weird stare casted on him by the President of the agency he was signed to. Well, the acting President didn’t care much of the model’s etiquette. She was at the same age as the heartthrob.

Choi Sooyoung, the prim and proper of the duo, was also sitting at the back seat with her legs crossed and had a book open on her hands. They had a long rough month, travelling around the world for fashion shows and photo shoots. Now, they returned to their home city hoping to have their schedule tone down a little, to make time a little for themselves. Well, that is Choi Sooyoung could convince her veteran co-workers to not shower their most prized model with more tiring schedule.

The long drive through the city had the pair headed towards the TREX fashion company before going to their respective houses. Noticing the familiar street outside the window, Im Yoong slowly sat up straight and said, “Noona, we’re going to the TREX first?”

The President nodded, as she also took a look outside the window. She closed her book and stuffed it into her messenger bag. She then turned to the model and replied, “We’re gonna settle your schedule for this month first, hoping to give you some free time. Maybe a vacation?”

Im Yoong’s eyes popped up at the mention of ‘vacation’. Choi Sooyoung chuckled, “Got your attention there, didn’t I? As a President of TREX, there should a harmony with my employees. Uncle Sukjin should know that. I mean, he’s always on vacation, why can’t you guys?”

“Praise the lord, we have a saviour on our side!” shouted Im Yoong, causing his coordinator and publicist sat up straight and staring at the model weirdly. Noticing their stares, Im Yoong sat up leaned towards them, puffed out his cheeks and put a V signs on his head, making an adorable bunny impression. They couldn’t help but laugh at how this famed model behaves. Despite his age, he was without a doubt just a kid at heart.

They finally reached their destination, right at the heart of Seoul where the TREX building was located. As Choi Sooyoung exited the van, a sight up above her caught her attention. There were construction workers standing on steel binded walls, fixing the paint and the concrete. Next to her, Im Yoong joined her, also staring at the mess above them.

“Sooyoung! Yoong!” Coming in at the pair, the current President of TREX Ji Sukjin was walking towards them with open arms. He greeted his niece first before patting the back of the prized model. Looking up to where that caught the pair’s attention, Sukjin escorted them in and said, “There was fire yesterday. Nothing big. Everyone’s safe. And the show will go on as usual.”

“You called that ‘nothing big’?” responded Choi Sooyoung. “Samchon, you should’ve let me know about this.”

“Nah! It’s all settled.” Sukjin insisted. “Let’s just focus on our Yoong, shall we? Come on!” Before Choi Sooyoung could retaliate, the older man hurried off to the right site of the grand hallway and disappeared behind bulky wooden double door. Choi Sooyoung followed suit while Yoong struggled behind her. Just as he was jogging along the hall, there was something got hook onto his left shoulder, making him stumbled a little. But he regained his posture. Quickly flicked of his sunglasses, he then found a young woman, probably a year or two younger than him, struggling with her books that fell on the floor. He hurried down to his knees and helped the women. There were books on Arthur Miller and William Shakespeare.

‘A student?’ Im Yoong thought, checking out the cover of ‘Death of a Salesman’.

“Yoong, come on!” called his publicist. Snapping back to reality, Im Yoong quickly returned the book to the student, bowed and apologizes and hurried off after his publicist. However, just as he was glancing over his shoulder, he saw a tall and slim figured young woman with long straight hair with skin as white as snow and eyes as round and cheeks as curved as peach. He stopped.

“Who is that?”

 

Author's Note:

I apologize for the one day delay. ^_^ I hope you like the appearence of Sooyoung and Yoong(ie). Next update will be in 3(?) days. Stay tuned and thank you so much for giving this story a chance. My love for yeh!!! Woop! Woop!