Chapter 10

Beautiful Disaster

Chapter 10

 

Fire-fighter Kim Taeng had just stepped out of the shower, with a towel draped around his waist as he walked out to the locker room. Twisting in the combination onto the lock, he opened his locker and grabbed another clean tower. Tucking the hem of it, he spread the towel out and used it to dry his wet hair. It had been an awfully quiet day at the station. What Kim Taeng had been doing since he visited the TREX was sitting around in the gym on the second floor of the fire station and lifting dumbbells for almost two hours and power walking on the treadmills for another two. Not having an emergency calls from the resident could be a blessing because at least now, he can relax for a bit since his best friend stole his morning beauty sleep.

He put on his uniform, buttoned it up and smoothed the collar as he stared at his reflection on the small mirror he put on the door of his locker. Seen slightly hidden inside his ped backpack, the tickets to the TREX fashion show was jutting out of the folds of his extra clothes. The fire-fighter then reached out and had the set of tickets out in the open, his eyes analyzing its subtle artistic design. It was, truthfully, so out of the blue to receive such one in a million opportunity. All he ever done was fixing the speakers specially ruined by his best friend. Of course, there was Kim Hyoyeon – whom he befriended – which happened to be the one he had saved during the incident. Maybe his luck flourished there. He had saved someone. This was his reward. Alright, maybe seeing some insanely tall and goddesses like models weren’t much of a reward. At least, Kim Taeng had the chance to sit in one and experience what it’s like. That’s one thing crossed out of his bucket list.

Taeng’s eyes settled upwards from the tickets to the small mirror and the door of his locker.  He narrowed his eyes as he noticed how his dark hair had grown in the past months. Flicking his fingers onto his little bangs to the side, he then dropped his gaze unintentionally to the shadow along his chin. He rubbed his fingers along his now noticeable stubble. “Maybe I should shave…”

“Why is that, kiddo. Got a date?”

 Taeng retrieved his hand as he watched his senior, Im Seungwoo, leaning on his side against the edge of the lockers with this warming grin on his face. The latter then stood up straight and continued, “Your sister would love to hear that if it’s true.”

“Ah, Hyung, you’re working today?” Taeng quickly responded, hastily stuffed his tickets back into his backpack and then closing his locker. He then turned to face his brother-in-law and crossed his arms. The latter had his eyebrow raised, startled a little in seeing his brother-in-law appeared a bit jumpy. “Yeonje noona didn’t say that you’re coming back today.” He heard the shorter fire-fighter spoke up, leaning the subject elsewhere. The fire-fighter then walked on passing his senior, out to the door. The latter, not giving in easily, followed.

Im Seungwoo caught up in just few wide steps, put his arm around his wife’s brother playfully and uttered, “Do say, Taengoo-ah. Did one of those pretty stick figures take an interest in you while you prance around that place? Are we gonna hear the bells ringing in the next couple of months?”

“What on earth are you talking about, hyungnim?” Taengo responded, lightly pushing the older man away. But his brother-in-law wouldn’t budge from the spot. Instead, the senior fire-fighter tightened his hold around the young man’s shoulder, putting him into a mid headlock.

“I saw the tickets.” Seungwoo started, affirming where his intention soon lands. “Do you have any idea how hard it is to get those tickets? It’s a zero chance for the common people but you—“ he chuckled, “you must’ve left a big impact on them that score you three golden tickets. And you know what that means, no matter how much you want to deny it buddy, someone likes you.”

Taeng scoffed. It was no strange event to see his brother-in-law acting like this, especially when Taeng’s sister, Yeonje was the mastermind behind it. Seeing his brother-in-law’s eyes sparkle with delight, thinking so hard that he had ‘hit the jackpot’ was just funny, especially where none of his predictions were true. It wouldn’t be so anyway. Taeng knew the reason why Kim Hyoyeon gave him the tickets was that she was being such a nice person. For sure, there must be few in the past she had given the fashion show tickets to. Out of kindness. NOT out of infatuation. Hopefully.

The In-Laws eventually reached to the front of the Fire Station, walking still tightly knitted to one another. It was not really an extraordinary sight for the other fire-fighters in that division. Ever since, Im Seungwoo had tied the knot with Kim Taeng’s older sister, Kim Yeonje; the senior fire-fighter had been nothing but a nuisance to the rookie. Perhaps maybe just a nuisance in a form of a lovable family man. Taeng didn’t mind this change. What he cared the most was that his sister finally found a man who can treat her right. If Seungwoo decided to screw it up, Taeng will be there to sort him out, violently.

“I hope Kwon Kiddo didn’t do much damage at the TREX.” His brother-in-law strike up a conversation as the pair reached the only fire-engine in the garage. Pulling his arm, at last, from the young man; Seungwoo reeled out the hose from the side and started spray high pressured water onto the vehicle.

Taeng shook his head. “You and I wish for that.”

“Too soon?”

“Too late. Damage was done.” The young fire-fighter shook his head. “He just had to open his darn mouth. Now Hwang the Terrible had him on her ‘things to hate’ list.”

The senior fire-fighter couldn’t hold back his laugh. “Kwon Yul even comes up with a name for that girl? Must be one heck of a girl.”

“If you change the ‘C’ and ‘K’ in the word ‘Heck’ with two ‘L’, it makes more sense.” Taeng stopped short, leaning against the wall as he watched his brother-in-law sprayed the water over to the top of the large vehicle. It was never unusual that every conversation he had consisted of Kwon Yul. He was actually expecting it from his brother-in-law. Even though Yul wasn’t there, he always managed to be – always – the hot topic among the fire-fighters. It deemed unclear why but there was never a time when Kwon Yul’s name pop up in a dull conversation. 

Taeng often wondered about his best friends. Aside from Lee Soonkyu and his issue. Kwon Yul was never the type of person who would annoy people just for the fun of it. Ok, there were few moments when it comes to the guys there at the station but that was predictable. Guys hang out, have fun and get wild once in a while. But this time, it happened to a woman. Out of anything. A woman. Kwon Seohyun was an exception. She’s his sister and they genetically similar. No trouble there. Then there’s Kim Hyoyeon and Yul seemed to get well with her. But the trouble with Hwang Tiffany does strikes curiosity in Kim Taeng’s mind. She’s actually quite beautiful, in Taeng’s eyes. Quite professional. Quite independent and so forth. But why was it that it was only her that Kwon Yul decided to ‘mess’ her up saying things that, come to think of it now, so-not-Kwon-Yul-like. And then, there’s Yoon Bora, whom Taeng just got to know recently. She and Yul got along well. But why can’t Hwang Tiffany?

Taeng was biting his lip as he thought of this. It was very unusual for him and for sure, his other best friend, Lee Soonkyu would think the same as well when he put effort into thinking it through. He blinked. Realizing that Im Seungwoo now standing there, with the hose now reeled neatly on his arm, staring at him with such curious expression; Taeng quickly spoke up. “I’m sure Yul will manage it. He’s just stressed out, I guess.”

Noting the smirk curving on his brother-in-law’s face, Taeng sighed, knowing where this will lead to. Say hello to Im Seungwoo’s wisdom. “Sounds like he likes this girl, don’t you think?” Putting the hose aside, he then continued, “You know how the formula goes… if the guy shows all these kind of thing, you know, like teasing her, annoying her or basically anything that can make a girl explode… the chance for feelings involve is quite high.” He then put his arm back onto Taeng’s shoulder, leading him out further front. “You never know what will gonna happen… First, it was pure hatred. Common sight. And then come the ‘liking’ part. He’ll try to deny it. Always, always try to deny that but once you emphasized that point hard and clear, there goes the next level.” Taeng knew where this leading to. “third comes love… ah, that simple human nature when it comes to the opposite . The need. The urge. The aching feel that forces you to let it out to the world, with little dramas in between, that you have fallen in love with someone you least expected.”

Taeng stifled a yawn. “Did you and my sister spent time watching chick flicks the entire honeymoon? What’s the use sending you two to Venice?”

“Hey,” Seungwoo playfully hit the latter. “It’s useful fact. Don’t go running to me when this happen to you.”

“Like that will happen!”

“You’d never know kiddo.”

**********

Seohyun looked worriedly at Soonkyu. It was not long now since Kang Hyosung made her grand appearance at the Sherbets. Though she was no longer in sight, the effect was still there, lingering on, haunting, and drenching the man she once seen intimately with such emptiness and confusion. It was unlike of Soonkyu to never spoken a single word since he and Kwon Seohyun left the restaurant. How long has it been since Seohyun seen his lovable smile? How long has it been since she seen his handsome eye-smiles? How long has it been since she seen him… happy…

Kwon Seohyun was starting to miss Lee Soonkyu.

So there she was, on a park bench, watching her brother’s best friend buying two cups of vanilla chocolate ice cream from an ice-cream man handling the stalls. She caught a glimpse of his smile as Soonkyu addressed the seller but that was nowhere near to the genuine he often showed her. Just as he turned away, holding firmly the cups of ice-cream in his hands, his smiling face dropped so fast, there was no such trace. Kwon Seohyun pondered so much on what had happened. She would ask him about it but knowing Soonkyu, the curiosity will be flicked aside without settling the truth on top of it.

As Soonkyu reached the park bench, Seohyun exchanged her worried frown into a small tender smile. Her lips may appear soft and felicity but her eyes glistened with troubles. Her hand reached out for the frozen dessert and uttered, “Thanks Oppa.”

Soonkyu sat beside her, scooping small portion of the dessert and popped them into his mouth. He smacked his lips lightly as he head for the second scoop, devouring it soon after. While he was enjoying his, Seohyun looked on at the corner of her eyes, observing the Chef. Normally, she would like this sort of treat coming from Soonkyu but now, she couldn’t even enjoy such simple thing.

“Oppa…” she started, placing the cup down to the empty spot next to her bag. She then put her hands onto her lap and turned to face the latter, intending to voice out her buried curiosity. “I know it’s not my business of what happened between you and Hyosung unnie but—“ She froze for a moment when Soonkyu tore his gaze away from the ice-cream, to look at her properly, “I’m concern about you, pretty sure all the people at the Sherbets feel the same way too. So, I want Oppa to tell me straight on, no sugar coating it or anything… what’s going on between you and Hyosung unnie?”

The latter sighed. “No point of avoiding that now, right?”

“No point at all, oppa.” Seohyun added, her voice sounded firm. “It hurts seeing you like this and I know it impacted you on much greater scale but--” She sighed. “She left you first, oppa. You shoulder remember that.”

 The young Chef exhaled, “Don’t remind me.”

“Block that moment as much as you want,” the Kwon girl added, sounded so grave. “You cannot keep dwelling on the good ones when it evidently clear where the ache come from. Snap out of it!” The latter lifted his head, giving this startled look at her. Knowing that she finally got his attention, Seohyun then tried to lean the conversation to the other person who had left a deeper mark on him. “You shouldn’t be thinking about Hyosung unnie when you got your eyes on that author.”

That sure embedded a hard impact. Even though Soonkyu wasn’t holding it, the ice-cream cup he laid down by him nearly spill when Kwon Seohyun mentioned of the woman whom Soonkyu had been interest in. He turned to look at her again, astonished by how much the latter had known. He may not show much or even say much, but with Kwon Seohyun knowing him nearly her entire life, Lee Soonkyu was like an open book with a special lock, which only she had the key that fit in to it. Now, she used that key and tries to lay out what he needs to do to make his life much less complicated.

Seeing that shocked look on his face made Seohyun felt like she was winning a Nobel Prize. “Surprised to see your little bundle of joy all grown up? I know things, even on such you didn’t see… like how you look at Jung Jessica.” She picked up her ice-cream, scooping up the melted cream. “Never, even once, I’ve seen you smile so much whenever she’s around. Like she’s your pick-me-up. I f I were you, I’d ask her on a date fast.”

The Chef laughed. “But you’re forgetting something there, Seohyun-ah, she’s engaged—“

“Which gonna be engaged-no-more according to one reliable source.” Seohyun added bravely, earning herself another startled look by the Chef. “Don’t you what’s going on here, oppa? This is your chance! And Hyosung unnie coming back is just another obstacle you need to go through. She’s only trying to keep you away from who you want to be with, which is Jung Jessica. It’s a pretty clear equation!”

“Wow…”

“Yeah, I know, I’m a genius.”

“No, not that.” Soonkyu continued. “Are you that desperate to get me a wife?”

“Huh? What? Oppa! You’re missing the point here!! Do go running away. Face it!”

“I’m out.” Lee Soonkyu hopped out of the bench, planning to run away from the ‘truth’ told by the youngest Kwon. He could’ve stay on and deny or pretend to bend the truth but somehow, coming from this Kwon girl, the truth starting to freak him out and he doesn’t like that. All that said was true to begin with. Lee Soonkyu really likes Jung Jessica. Who would ignore such spark in all those times she’s at the Sherbets?

“Oppa!! Wait! You’re running! You’re not supposed to do that!”

 

**********

The day had gotten crazy and what Jung Jessica needed right then and there was the comfort of her best friends. Don’t get her wrong though, even with her sister, Krystal, around, it was still hard for her to let loose to someone younger. Jessica loves her sister dearly and would do anything for her but when the latter ask her to let out her troubles, Jessica finds it hard to express such things. Perhaps she was underestimating the girl but it was just the fact that Jung Krystal was too forward personality wise than Jessica herself. So, that’s the problem there. Even Jessica didn’t ask for any advice, she knew that the solution to all the troubles will be facing them right in their faces. And that just seem unsettling for Jessica.

Second one on the list when it comes to confessing her troubles was her best friends; Hwang Tiffany and Kim Hyoyeon. And the TREX Fashion Show now coming in less than 48 hours, Jung Jessica decided to drag her sister, Krystal, along on the trip to visit her housemates-plus-best-friends there at the grand building itself. The Jungs eventually arrived at the Grand Hall where the fashion event will take place and as being the best friend of two of the top fashion designer at the TREX, the Jungs were escorted inside the hall as if they were a pair of royalties. The bodyguard then told the pair to wait outside by small catwalk platform as he got inside, looking for the designers.

While waiting, Jessica found a seat at the reserved section and watched the models walking the platform, practicing. Among the male models, she saw Im Yoong putting on this rather serious expression on his fair-skinned face. The models strike few poses as they lined up and did a quick bow. Once that was over, Im Yoong got down from the platform and immediately got into a deep conversation with the choreographer. Looking on, Jung Krystal observed how the male model absorbed in his work and found it fascinating how mature he looked despite his childish personality.

“What are you two doing here? Cannot wait for the show like the rest of the guest?” The Jungs jumped a little by the sudden voice of Choi Sooyoung. The pair turned to the will-be-president and greeted her with hugs, in turn.

Sooyoung let her arm held onto Jessica’s waist and said, “I thought you two be in the states. What happened?”

“I’ll be in the states, unnie.” Krystal replied. “Sica unnie staying here until who knows when.”

“Aww.” Sooyoung cooed, turning to face the shortest Jung sibling. Soon-to-be-President Choi Sooyoung then playfully cupped the latter’s cheek and pressed her palms against them, making the latter pouting her lips. “Is Sica afraid that she’ll be missing us too much? Aww, you poor thing.”

“Get off!” Jessica narrowed her eyes, not wanting to hear that so early in the day. Softly pulling away Sooyoung’s hands off her face, casting a rather sarcastically looking smile; Jessica then sat back down, not wanting to be a part of the conversation.

From this, Sooyoung mopped and addressed the other Jung. Krystal let out a small laugh. “Don’t worry about her, Unnie. She’s not in a--- not a morning person, you know that.”

“Hmmph!” Sooyoung sounded, staring down at the author. “If that how you gonna behave at the show, I’d better set up the circus act just to see you happy and smiley.”

“And have the clowns tossing cucumbers at the audience.” Krystals smirked villainously. “That sure will make her smile.” Eyeing her sister, who now tensed at the mention of her enemy, the cucumber. Is it a fruit or is it a vegetable? Such thing disgusts her either way. Choi Sooyoung and Jung Krystal shared a look, casting sinister grin before breaking off into a laughing fit.

Jung Jessica, on the other hand, does not see this anywhere at all hilarious.

Their little impromptu get-together was then lightly disturbed by a loud set of groans coming from the catwalk platform. The three friends diverted their attention to the source of it and saw a young man rolling out onto the platform riding a skateboard. The models were in shock by the random act and immediately jumped off the platform, hoping to get no harm from the crazy man on skateboard.

“Sorry! Sorry!” Kwon Yul cried out, awkwardly trying to stop the skateboard underneath his feet. Once he finally got the hang of it, he quickly got off it and picked the board. Seeing the annoyed glares from the models, Kwon Yul did double big bows at them and repeatedly said sorry. Behind him, coming out of the curtains, Yoon Bora and Kim Hyoyeon rushing over to him and trying to pull him away from any mischief. It was a little too late as Choi Sooyoung quickly walked to the edge of the platform and shouted, “Kwon Yul!! Behave yourself!”

“Sorry! Sorry!” Yul bowed again, moving a little by Bora’s forceful pull and Hyoyeon repeated hit on his arm. Once he was out of the platform, Sooyoung shook her head.

“Who was that?” Krystal spoke, looking interested. “Hyoyeon unnie seems to know him. Do you, unnie?” she turned to her sister, well, planning to. However, just as the youngest Jung had her head turned over to where her sister sat, Jung Jessica was nowhere in sight. “Unnie?”

Without letting her sister know, Jung Jessica had moved on to the backstage, not wanting to wait for the bodyguard to call her best friend for her. Through the door, she was greeted with the hustle and bustle of TREX modern fashionistas working their delicate rear-ends off with such determination and concentration. Jessica walked along the aisle, eyeing each of the fashion designers working on their projects clad on the mannequins. Well, it was sort of an expected sight since the fashion show will commence in less than 48 hours.

As the Author walked on, looking for her best friend’s station; Jessica then stumbled upon the man named Kwon Yul – who showed off a rather strange behaviour for being a grown-up man – and had him apologizing to her instead. This time he no longer had the skateboard in his possession. Jessica stood by watching the man apologizing to her and couldn’t help but think that somewhere, she had seen this man before, rather than couple minutes ago.

Kwon Yul quickly stood up straight, casting a rather awkward smile but as he saw a full glimpse of the person standing in front of him, he also felt like he had seen the woman before. Before he could ask her, someone shoved him away to the side, nearly making him fall onto an innocent PA. He apologized to her, ushered her off and sharply turned to see who was doing such thing to him. As expected, it was none other than Hwang the Terrible. Kwon Yul  exasperated and started, “YAH! HWANG-SSI! Don’t you see me standing here, huh!?”

Hwang Tiffany frowned. “YOU WERE IN MY WAY, KWON-SSI!”

“WELL, YOU COULD’VE ASKED NICELY AND I WILL GLADLY STEP OUT OF YOUR WAY!”

Hwang Tiffany was in no such mood to give ear to such man. So, she quickly seized her best friend’s hand and hurried off, leaving the now annoyed fire-fighter there boring holes at the back of her head. Pulling the white curtain shut around her station, Tiffany turned to Jessica and smiled. “Sorry you have to see that.”

“It’s alright. It’s normal.” Jessica replied. “Listen, I need to talk to you about something—“

“D’you wanna go out for a drink?” The Fashion Designer suddenly said, catching her best friend off guard.

“Uh… isn’t this a little early to drink?” Jessica retorted, looking at her best friend weirdly. Of course, Tiffany was the kind of person who would enjoy going out for a drink. It was totally expected. But this, not so late in the afternoon now, Tiffany suggested for the pair of them to go out for a drink. In Jessica’s mind, there must be something troubling her as well as hers.  

Tiffany sighed. “We can sneak out now. Come on.” Once again, Tiffany engulfed her best friend’s arm tight as they both crept out of the curtain and onto the back door of the backstage, leading to the back of the building. Meanwhile, up front, at the Grand Hall; Kwon Seohyun hurried in, looking around in awe as Lee Soonkyu followed by, looking around not as interested as the youngest Kwon. At the same time, Kwon Yul and Kim Hyoyeon were stepping out of the backstage door as Hyoyeon scolded the fire-fighter for pulling such antic on the stage. Seohyun saw the pair, hurried off to greet them. “Yul oppa!” she chirped, waving her hand at them. Right then and there, standing by the stage talking to Choi Sooyoung and the heartthrob model, Im Yoong; Jung Krystal looked on as soon as she heard the familiar voice.

“Seohyun?” She hurried, matching the surprised look now on her friend’s face.

“Oh, Krystal, what are you doing here?” The youngest Kwon spoke.

Kim Hyoyeon then asked, “You two know each other?”

“We’re friends from theatre studies.” Seohyun piped up, excited to see her former classmate there as well.

“Wow, what a small world.” Yul stated. Walking in closer, Lee Soonkyu came along, greeting them in a rather mellow pace, unlike Seohyun. The sight of him make Kim Hyoyeon stared, questioning. Catching the latter gazing at him, Soonkyu pulled on a smile which unexpectedly emphasized his crescent shaped eyes brightly. Before he could introduced himself, Kwon Yul beat him to it.

Yul swung his arm around the Chef’s shoulder and stated, “Kim Hyoyeon-ssi, meet Lee Soonkyu. Soonkyu-ah, meet Kim Hyoyeon.” He turned to his best friend and added, “Hyoyeon is a fashion designer here at the TREX.” He then turned to Hyoyeon and continued, “Soonkyu is a Chef. He owned a little place few blocks from here, called the ‘Sherbets’. You should come by and try it out.”

“The Sherbets?” Hyoyeon repeated, feeling that somehow she heard the name before. But where was it? Racking her brain, looking so attentively at the young Chef, she then finally realized where she heard that name before. The takeaway box her best friend, Jessica, likes to take home with almost every day. Could it be the same ‘Sherbets’? Maybe this was the guy, Jessica seem to take a fond of before Woosung came along and ruin the picture with his obnoxious appearance out of the blue. Even so, Hyoyeon thought that Jessica had great choice in men. Looking at Lee Soonkyu, he was without a doubt quite a good-looking man.

Watching by, sitting on the edge of the stage as Choi Sooyoung ran off to speak with the technician; Im Yoong was tilting his head from left to right, then back to the left as the two people who just entered the hall. Seeing Hyoyeon and that fire-fighter greeting the pair so warmly, Yoong couldn’t help but starting to stare at the young woman, whom Jung Krystal had embraced. She looked familiar to him somehow. Like he had seen her before. All in all, Im Yoong knows one thing there. Whoever that woman was, Yoong knew he had his eyes on her. 

 

Author's Note:

Yay to long post!!!!! Hope you enjoy the chapter. Big thanks to the subscribers for subscribing! Never thought this story would get that many responses. Don't forget to comments. Speak your thoughts! Finally 0T9 met in this chapter. Next update will be, hopefully, in 4-5 days. Depending on how my muse flows. See you soon.