Chapter 8

Beautiful Disaster

Chapter 8

 

He’s back. This is her chance. It should be. All those times waiting for this pivotal moment. The man who cheated on her at broad daylights some time ago finally braves enough to return home. It caught her off guard upon seeing him at the Sherbets. She hasn’t build her confident yet. Now, waking up, days after; Jessica is ready. She cannot hold this back anymore. Two hours had passed since she left her home shared with her best friends, growing impatient along the way; Jessica sat nervously at the back seat as her driver drove her to the publishing company. It has been a while since Mr. Cho serves her. Seeing his fatherly face again makes her feel a little better and confident for what she planned to do.

Soon after, she spotted the publishing company 10 storey high building. She smirked. ‘This is it!’ she thought to herself, pumping up her adrenaline rush. As the vehicle parked by the side-walk, Jung Jessica hurried out of the backseat, not waiting for her driver to open the door for her like he always does.

“Should I wait for you, Miss Jung?” came a husky voice of Mr. Cho. Jessica swung her purse by her side, brushes off her striking tresses off the side of her face and turned to her driver.

She smiled. “Not need for that, Mr. Cho. You can go home. I’m gonna be here for a while.”

The latter nodded. “Ok. Just don’t hesitate to call me if you need anything.” Mr. Cho then got back into the driver’s seat, waving at the author before pulling off the curb and drove off to the corner.

Jessica quickly walked into the building with proud strides. As soon as she entered the front hall, she got into the elevator and punched her thumb onto the 7th floor button. With the ‘PING’ heard above her head, she waited for the door to slide open and stepped out to the 7th floor. Before her, a receptionist was answering a phone call using her wireless headphone. Jessica swiftly waved at the woman behind the counter and turned to the right side of the floor.

Few surprised stares were seen as Jessica strutted down the aisle on her killer heels. Letting the corner of her lips curved upward to a smirk, she kept on walking until she reached her office at the end of the aisle with its shades down and door shut.

“Welcome back, Miss Jung.” Greeted her secretary, who was sitting at a small cubicle right in front of the office. Jessica smiled at her and continued on to her door. Just when she was about to look for her key, as her free hand grasped the doorknob and noticed how it appeared too loose as she slightly turn it; she pulled her hand out of her purse and cautiously pushed her office door open. She stepped in, closed the door behind her and ran her fingers on the wall, looking for the light switch.

As the light flickered on, Jessica found a huge vase of blood-red roses on her desk and petals of the same flower all over the floor. She was confused. Just when she was about to head to the door, thinking of asking her secretary, a pair of arms circled her waist, pulling her back up against someone and greeted her with pungent cologne.

A deep voice startled her, “I’ve been expecting you.”

**********

“Aish… what’s keeping that kid back there?” Kim Taeng groaned. He had spend nearly the entire morning after that unanticipated wake-up call Kwon Yul bombarded on him, working his off on the wrecked speakers. It has always been him to fly in and save the day for the troublemaker Kwon Yul. Seriously, that kid may be good on the eyes but when it comes to making himself reliable for once, it will be less painful than having him actually do something. Counting this one, it’d be the 25th time Kim Taeng saving the Yul-ster. Speaking of the Yul-ster…

“YAH KWON YUL! GET YOUR OUT HERE AND HELP YOUR HYUNG!!” The fire-fighter’s voice roared inside the empty grand hall, setting a disturbance in the middle of the drawn curtain by the catwalk platform. Swift of the drapes aside, Kwon Yul appeared stomping out onto the platform with this irritated look on his face. Much to Taeng’s annoyance, Kwon Yul took a exaggerated revenge by posing as an overly dramatic male model. He then stomped once he reached the end and stared.

Taeng scoffed. “Having fun?”

The latter, sensing that his best friend decided to play along in his little shenanigans, arched his eyebrows and put on a rather creepy looking grin. He then commenced in wiggling his eyebrows.  That had Kim Taeng scoffed again. No way this can get Kwon Yul scolded after that little show. Though it may be somewhat simple but seeing how childish he seemed to be in Taeng’s eyes, it’s just hard not to put on a smile.

Nevertheless, that didn’t last long. Kim Taeng who was getting tired, finally sat down on one of the arranged chairs and put back the screwdriver into his toolbox. Kwon Yul jumped off the platform and sat down, looking at the fire-fighter apologetically. “Thanks for fixing them. You know how it’ll turn out if I was the one handling these things.”

Taeng flashed a curved grin. “Yeah, of course I know how it’ll end up. You’re just one lucky brat that I’m not a cranky person when it comes to waking up early. So, you’re welcome.”

 “Sorry about that.” Yul forced a chuckle, now rubbing the back of his neck as he tried to look at the latter without feeling the burns on his cheeks, the burns of embarrassment. “And you should consider getting boxers instead of sleeping in the , Taengoo. It’s unsightly.”

The latter’s tired face dropped into a frown so fast like how the rollercoaster plummeted down the rail to a heart-wrenching rush. He then sat up straight and glared, making Yul swallowed hard and cowered a little. He then fished out a spanner from his toolbox and waved it threateningly at the fire-fighter. “Well, if you don’t want to see a guy when he’s asleep, you should’ve given him a call. Could’ve saved you from ruining your kid-like mind.”

“Sorry, sorry!” Yul put his hands in front of him, protecting his face from the about to go berserk fire-fighter.

Kim Taeng put back the spanner, leaned back again and sighed, “What is it with you guys lately, huh? First it was Soonkyu, now you… what has the world gone to… it’s like I’m the normal one in this group, I hope the madness don’t catch up on me too.”

“That’s rhymes!” Yul excitedly pointed out. Not much to Taeng’s amusement. “Well it does. Just saying.”

“I am not amused.”

Entering the grand hall at this very moment, Yoon Bora, along with Kim Hyoyeon, were chatting so lively, with tumblers firmly held in their hands. Their little chatters were heard by the fire-fighters prompting them to greet the fashion designers. Just when Taeng thought he’d be the first to greet, as always, Kwon Yul beat him to it by actually welcomed them at the top of his voice. He was so loud, there was actually some bit of shattered motion in the chandelier hanging from the ceiling. The fashion designers abruptly stopped their conversation and turned to the man who greeted them so energetically. Standing by, Kim Taeng was slapped his palm against his face.

Feeling so well-received by the fire-fighter’s hyper greeting, Hyoyeon pulled on her friend’s arm and dragged her over to the men. “Nice to see you up early.”

“Not much of a good thing on my end, Hyoyeon-ssi.” Kim Taeng pointed out, now on his knees, gathering up his tools. He then picked up the toolbox and added, “I gotta go before the big boss found me here.”

“Oh wait, Taeng-ssi.” Hyoyeon quickly said, giving her tumbler to Bora as she started to rummage through her bag. Taeng and Yul shared a look before Kim Hyoyeon pulled out three tickets and handing it over to the fire-fighter. “I got some extra tickets and I thought you should have them. Do bring Seohyun for the showcase; I’m starting to miss that little sunshine. And as for the third ticket, you can bring whoever you want.”

Kim Taeng flashed a smile. “Thanks, Hyoyeon-ssi. Seobaby would love this. I’ll make sure we’ll come.” Stuffing the ticket into the pocket of his jacket, he gave Yul quick pat on the arm before walking off. “See you guys soon.” He quickly pointed to Yul. “Don’t get into trouble. Got  that!”

“Just go, Taengoo.”

As Kim Taeng finally headed off out of the TREX, Kim Hyoyeon and Yoon Bora decided to go to the back of the grand hall where their designs were kept. Up front, by the platform, Yul took another check on the speakers and was grateful that his best friend had fixed them as if it didn’t break in the first place. Now all he needs to do was inform the technicians to hoist them up and bind them onto the bars on the ceilings.

You might be thinking, why didn’t the technicians fix the speakers in the first place instead of Kwon Yul? The story was like this, just minutes passed the little accident; the TREX President, Ji Sukjin, insisted that Kwon Yul should repair them on his own. Though it may look understandable but Yul knew that Hwang the Terrible had everything to do with it. Yul swore that the instant President Sukjin walked off back to the booth; he saw this sinister smile on the Hwang the Terrible’s face. He could even hear her maniacal laughter ringing in his head, taunting him, degrading him, saying that she’s winning this battle.

Yul could’ve confronted her right then and there but he promised he won’t do any trouble. He even wondered that, hoping actually, when he patch up the fashion designer wounded hand few days ago would soften his image in the Hwang the Terrible’s eyes. He guessed he was wishing on it too much. Now, as the fashion show now two days away, Yul decided to behave as hard as he could so he wouldn’t get into trouble and have to stay back to help fixing up the mess he will make.

Returning back to the grand hall, after notifying the technicians just few rooms away, Yul took a seat on the catwalk platform and took out his phone. There was a text from his boss back at the fire station, reminding him to get the models’ numbers. Wow, that old man won’t give up easily. As he was taking the break, footsteps heard from his left were approaching him; he quickly put away his phone and turned to see who it was. He was expecting Kim Hyoyeon, whom he befriended, but it was Yoon Bora, the fashion designer he only started to get acquainted to.

“Is the spot taken?” Yoon Bora started, flashing a sweet smile, as her hands clasped against her back. Yul shook his and motion her to the spot. Bora then slowly sat down by him as Yul scooted a little, to make a space, though it was useless anyway. “I brought breakfast.” She added, now pulling out a lunchbox from her back. She opened the lid and showed Yul the egg and tuna sandwiches.

Yul looked at them in awe, now feeling his mouth watering. “I just happened to make extras so I thought I share them with you. Eat up.” Bora added. Yul lifted his dark orbs from the sandwiches to the woman who made them and smiled. The latter blushed.

“That’s sweet of you.” Yul stated, picking up one of the tuna sandwiches. Taking a small bite of it first soon followed by quite of mouthful. “This is so good.”

“Really?” Bora looked on, surprised by the positive reception from the fire-fighter. “Are you sure you’re not just saying that just to be nice?”

“Him? Nice? Please, orang utans are more polite than him.” Bellowed an annoyed high-pitched voice. Bora and Yul looked at each other and quickly turned to the source of the voice. Standing so proudly by the door, Hwang Tiffany was staring at the pair through her pair of brown tinted aviator and let out a scoff.

The fire-fighter put down the sandwich and sighed. He remained put., which concerned Tiffany because in time like this, Kwon Yul always fights back. “Are you out of words to say, Mister Kwon? Pfft, I guess I win.” Noting how Kwon Yul won’t budge from that one, Hwang Tiffany decided to go forth to the back of the grand hall, leaving Yul and Bora by the platform.

Bora turned to the fire-fighter. “Just hang in there, Kwon-ssi. It’ll be over soon.”

“Can’t they make it now?” Yul whined. “I cannot stand being in the same room with Hwang the Terrible.” He then picked up his half-eaten sandwich and started eating it again. “At least, the good thing in all of this is this sandwich.”

The latter giggled.

“I mean it, Bora-ssi.”

**********

Jung Jessica briskly got herself out of her fiancé’s arms, pushing his away hard until his back hit the edge of her desk. She stepped away, the shut door by her side, and had her arms around her in a protective manner. She was breathing hard as she glared at Woosung. “What are you doing here?” she hissed, hoping the people outside her office won’t hear them. She blinked her eyes.

Woosung regained his standing off the desk and scoffed. “Aren’t I your fiancé? I can be here whenever I want, you laid out the rules, remember?”

“Get out of here.” She ordered, marching over to desk and pulling her fiancé’s arm, dragging him to the door. “Those rules don’t apply to you anymore. Get out!”

“Hey! How come?” Woosung replied. Instead of having himself got dragged, he took advantage of the moment and had Jessica back in his arms. She was now pressed against him, her arms bind to her side.  Woosung grinned sheepishly; about to lean in for a kiss but the author pushed him off once again, knocking the vase of roses off the desk. Shattered sound of ceramic was heard, followed by hurried footsteps. There was an instant knocking on the door and Jung Krystal appeared, looking alarmed and now furious as her eyes laid on the man in the room. She marched right in and stood by her sister.

Seeing the other Jung in the office, Woosung tried to sound friendly. “Krystal-ah, hey kiddo, wow, look at how you’ve grown.” He was awkwardly putting his hands into his pockets. “Been ages since I saw you last. You looked good.” He coughed.

Krystal bravely moved forward, her dagger-like eyes still glaring at the man who betrayed his sister.

“How was school?” Woosung decided to steer off the matter of the moment to something else but he failed miserably at it. “Um… listen, if you be a good kid and let me and your sister alone, that’d be great.”

“And what? Let you do what exactly?” Krystal fired back, ignoring the pulls of her older sister. “Let you cheat on my sister again? Is that it?”

Woosung’s face dropped at the word ‘cheated’. “What the hell are you little rascal talking about!? Me cheating on your sister? That’s an outrage. I’ll never do such a thing. You’re dreaming, Jung Krystal. I’m out of here!”

“Ok. Sure. Run! Run! You always do!”

“… Krystal…”

“RUN OFF YOU BASTARD!!”

“… Krystal…”

“IF YOU EVER COME NEAR MY SISTER AGAIN, I’LL—“

There was a firm grip on the youngest Jung’s forearm. The squeeze of it urged her to stop of sudden burst. Krystal quickly bit her lower lip and slowly turned to face her sister. Woosung was nowhere to be seen now and Jung Jessica was now leaning her head onto her sister’s arm, slowly beating her head against the youngest Jung.

“Ah, Krystal,” Jessica exhaled, “You shouldn’t done that… not like that… how am I gonna face him now?”

“Unnie, I’m not gonna let his hands on you after what he did.” Krystal responded, still feeling the furiousness she had against her sister’s fiancé. “You kept telling me that you can handle this. Always said that. Now that your chance was there, you seemed to hold it back… why? Unnie, I can’t take this… not after I found out who he had an affair with on back then before heading aboard…” she sighed. “You’re not gonna believe it when I say it…”

Jessica stared curiously at her sister. “Is that why you’re here? To find out who the woman was?”

“What’d you think?” Krystal replied, “I had to do something.”

“Then drop it, Krystal. Let me do this on my own.”

“But unnie…”

“Not now, I’m taking you home.”

“Unnie…”

“Krystal go home—“

“It’s Hyosung unnie.” Krystal blurted it out. That sure stopped Jessica in her attempt to get her sister out of her office. She turned to her sister. “It was her all this time… your partner…”

 

**********

“Customer!” Goo Hara notified the rest as she was wiping the table. It has been few minutes since the opening and the first customer had walked in and took a seat on the counter. Lee Soonkyu, the head Chef of the Sherbets, moved out of the kitchen area to greet the customer. As usual, he bowed, said few welcoming words before taking the customer‘s order. However, it was somewhat different this time.

Just as he got up from the bow, the instant he got a proper look of the first customer, his mouth dropped and hanging and the notepad and pencil he’s been holding fell out of his reach right onto the floor.

Kim Shinyoung, the Pastry Chef, observed how still the Sherbets’ owner had gotten and decided to pick up the notepad. But then, when it was her turn to see who the first customer really was, she too got frozen on the spot. Goo Hara, who was walking pass, noticed the changed in the older woman’s state and asked, “You’re ok?”

“It’s been a while, Soonkyu-ah.” Came a warm husky voice. Hara looked up at the counter and saw a woman, showing a mysterious-looking grin and seductive eyes. The customer then propped herself up from the counter, reached out for the apron on Soonkyu’s still figure, seized a handful of it and pulled the Chef over to her.

Soonkyu blinked.

Kang Hyosung smirked; eyeing the latter’s shocked expression. She then fluttered her eyes as she stared into Soonkyu deep brown ones and whispered, “I miss you.”What happened next shocked the whole restaurant, Soonkyu even worst, as Kang Hyosung daringly kissed the Chef’s lips, leaving the rest stared in horror. Even Kwon Seohyun who just entered the Sherbets, found herself flabbergasted by what she seen.