Chapter 16

Beautiful Disaster

Chapter 16

“They’re still here.” Goo Hara reported. By the Sherbet’s windows, where blinds were drawn down, she stood there cautiously as she peeked out to the street. Paparazzi were seen, crowding up the sidewalk with their bulky cameras and audio recorders. Chit-chattering about, they had kept their position firm since the restaurant just that morning. Actually, three days had passed since the rumour broke out and that exact three days, these scandals hungry vultures had been out and about the street between the university and this small restaurant, in search for Im Yoong’s girl. She was NOT his girl. She will NEVER be. That was what Kwon Seohyun kept saying to these paparazzi. Nevertheless, such thing – a truth – was cast aside and it was never needed in the first place. ‘Truth’ does not sell. Lies do. And now, they want to gather up much ‘evidence’ to whatever rumour they want to put up on their tabloid sites.

Their presence was such a sore to one’s eyes, it also meddle with the flow of business of the Sherbet. Thanks to them crowding the sidewalk, the entrance to the restaurant was invisible. Customers had hard times to know which way to go. Few made it inside, survived the wave of nonsense questions thrown by the tabloid vultures. Few others decided to flee the area, hoping their next visit won’t be as scandalous as it was. Then again, whoever walks through that door must be thoroughly checked. This was done by the two senior chefs of the Sherbet. They were guarding as if their life depends on it. Well, they were guarding it for the sake of one’s life. One furious looking college student.

Sitting at the back of the restaurant, abandoning her usual spot right at the counter by the cash machine; Kwon Seohyun made herself looked busy. Books piled up like towers hiding her from everyone’s view. Seound of pen clicking, pencil sharpening and pages flipping were the only thing that signalled her presence. Everyone was worried and sympathized for her. It was crazy to even think that she would get in such error.

Kim Shinyoung, the Sherbet’s Pastry Chef, joined the waitress by the blinds and peeked through. The paparazzi outside had remained still and showed no sign of leaving. “Did you put the police on speed dial? I bet something horrible is gonna happen.” She sighed. “This is just getting way out of hand.”

“Hope Yul oppa get this fixed.” The waitress hoped, turning away from the window. “I never really like that Im Yoong guy. He may be cute but he’s such an attention seeker. Ruin the magic. Ugh.”

Coming out from the back, talking calmly on the phone; the Sherbet’s Head Chef, Lee Soonkyu appeared, walking to the front of the restaurant. He headed to where Goo Hara and Kim Shinyoung stood, and he too, peeked through the blinds. He let a deep sigh and a ‘tsk’. He then uttered, “Hyung, maybe you and the guys could come by in the fire-truck and wash this scums to the drain. That’ll make someone very happy.”

The person on the other end of the phone call let out a hearty laugh. “As much as I want to do that, trust me, I would go for it in a heart-beat, but you know Kyu-ah, the boss will give me the boot if he finds out about it.”

Soonkyu shook his head. “I was joking, hyung, geez, you’re taking this way too seriously.”

“I know that. Just wanna play along with you.” Kim Taeng replied.  The line went quiet for a moment until the fire-fighter broke it off and continued, “How’s Seohyunnie doing?”

Lee Soonkyu diverted his eyes from the blinds to the piles of books at the back of the restaurant. He shifted to the side, leaning over to the counter until his eyes met with the still frame of the youngest Kwon. He tilted his head to the side and this time, he saw Kwon Seohyun with her head down, headphones covered her ears, looking rather tired. “She’s alright for now.” Soonkyu told his best friend. “The girl is having a hard time, hyung, I hate seeing her like this.”

“Even hearing it makes me sad, Kyu-ah.” Taeng admitted, his tone of voice had gone mellow, matching to the one Soonkyu had. His sigh was heard through the call, followed by a loud thud of a closing car door. “Kyu-ah, I’m coming over late rafter work to check things up. Make sure those creeps stay outside. If they managed, call us up, the guys and I will come.”

Soonkyu was grateful for it. “Thanks Taengoo. Will let you fellas know ASAP.”

“Ok. See you.”

“See you.”

Lee Soonkyu hung up and put his phone into his pocket. Resting a bit by the counter, wandering his eyes back to the blinds where Goo Hara and Kim Shinyoung continued their surveillance of the situation outside and then over to the towers of books, he then pushed his frame off the counter and made his way to the quiet Kwon. He approached her slowly, a little by little her figure was formed in front of him. Passing by the last tower of books, Soonkyu finally met the sleeping figure of Kwon Seohyun with her head resting on an open book. Her mp3 player was blasting classical music in her ear and a sharpened pencil stuck in between her fingers. The Chef moved in, carefully pulled away the pencil and then took off the headphones. He then pressed his thumb on the mp3 player, pausing the Vivaldi. Lifting an empty chair from a table nearby, Soonkyu then placed it next to her and sat down. Seohyun stirred in her sleep, now showing her weary face to the Chef. She looked so still. So quiet. So like her. Now, if only she could smile and be cheerful like her old self.

The Chef laid his head onto the table, right next to hers and whispered, “Hang in there, Seohyun-ah, we’ll fix this.”

**********

He was about to take the different route, all in not so impressive disguise, moving along to the side when a rough tug yanked him backwards. He was too late to escape. Actually, he didn’t even make any effort to do it at all. It was because he didn’t plan it out well. Who would do such thing? Especially when someone was watching your every move and freaks out every time the other make a sudden move. He had adopted the trait of being vigilant and a sloppy one too.

Out in the long aisle, passing by the escalator, the back of his polo shirt was pulled aggressively; Im Yoong was helpless. With disguises like those aviator shades, a beret hat was flattening his well treated hair, silk scarf covering his toned neck, pink polo shirt hiding his hefty body and those khakis short; it was not even close to the word ‘disguise’. Im Yoong was hanging on the tip of his toe, trying to flee but his attempt to dash was pummelled when he bounced back like a yo-yo. An arm greeted him; s around his silk scarf covered neck and a towering gaze by his temple. “Where do you think you’re going, kid?”

Im Yoong gulped. His neck stiffened by the sound of that husky voice. As he carefully turned his head to the side, a sight of those big deep brown eyes and that smirk formed on the full mouth of the latter startled him, making him yelp. He tried to escape but the latter had him locked tight under his arm. Kwon Yul, dressed up in his casual with his baseball hat placed backward, was smiling as mischievously as he tightened his grip around the male heart-throb’s neck. “Isn’t this exciting, Im Yoong-ssi? A vacation, with my friends.” Then that glare of the fire-fighter, the one Yoong seen back at the after-party came to make its appearance, making Yoong froze. “And we’re gonna have so much fun, don’t we, Im Yoong-ssi?”

His formality, adding the ‘ssi’ to his name made the male model cowered. Letting the latter escorted him along the aisle of Jeju Airport, Im Yoong was praying quietly to himself, hoping he will survive this vacation.

Behind this ‘close’ pair, Hwang Tiffany and Kim Hyoyeon were walking side by side as their gaze glued on the pair before them. They were warned by Kim Taeng before their flight earlier on today. They were warned that if Kwon Yul gets Im Yoong alone, trouble will happen. The kind of trouble was vaguely stated because even Kim Taeng doesn’t know what it’ll be. Neither he nor Lee Soonkyu had gotten into a trouble with this man. Following this pair, Yoon Bora hurried forth until she now stood next to Tiffany and even she was being cautious with the fire-fighter.

On the plane, she sat with Kwon Yul and they had no trouble in conversing. She had fun basically but not so much for the third person sitting in between her and Kwon Yul. Almost the entire flight, Bora watched Im Yoong sitting still, pretending to listen to his mp3 player and even try to read a catalogue book, just to fill up his time. Up front of the pack of fashion designers and models, Ji Sukjin and his niece, Choi Sooyoung, were meeting up with the representative of the resort where they will stay for this 10 days long holiday. Ji Sukjin greeted the representative with a firm handshake and even put more pressure to it when the representative’s eyes started to wander off, in total awe by the rows of stunning female models making their ways towards them. The man shook his head and awkwardly smiled at the TREX President before diving in to a depth conversation.

Standing by, Choi Sooyoung moved away from her uncle and decided to shift over to Hwang Tiffany, Kim Hyoyeon and Yoon Bora, who were so attentively watching Kwon Yul and Im Yoong at the side. Sooyoung followed their gaze, sighed at the sight and started, “He’ll give in, and I know Yoongie. Looking at that kind of pressure, he’ll break down.”

Hwang Tiffany thinks otherwise. “He may look like it but I don’t think he will.”

“Oh please, Fany-ah, Yoongie will.” Sooyoung replied, believing in her point strongly. The latter shook her head. Before their exchanges could get heated, a child-like yell caught their attention. The first image that came to mind was Im Yoong. However, as they diverted their gaze over to the pair in front of them, it was not Im Yoong showing his agony. It was a little girl, who now stayed on the ground, holding her knee. Standing by, her mother hurried over and looked on a walking figure. That figure was Im Yoong. Joining the mother was Kwon Yul, who hurried to the girl’s side and put down his backpack.

Kwon Yul turned to the moment with an apologetic smile. “I’m sorry for my friend, we were playing around, and we didn’t see your daughter.” The mother didn’t look satisfied. Kwon Yul then turned to the little girl and said, “Hey, are you hurt anywhere? I’m a fireman, and also a doctor. You can tell me where it hurts.”

The little girl looked on at Kwon Yul with her well rounded misty eyes and pouted. Kwon Yul smiled and said, “Don’t worry, I won’t hurt you.” He turned to the mother and said, “Let me make it up for my friend.” The mother sighed and eventually let the fireman go on with what he plans to do. The latter then turned to the little girl and pulled out his portable first-aid kit and set it down. “Ok. Tell me where it hurt.”

The little girl pointed at her knee as she rubbed her teary eyes. “It hurts here.” She cried. Kwon Yul then turned to the little girl’s knee and found there was a little cut on her knee, possibly due to falling. Kwon Yul lifted his head to the girl and smiled, “You only have a tiny problem and a band-aid will make it all better.” Opening the first-aid kit, Yul took out a box of cartoon printed band-aids and pulled one strap from it. He ripped the paper off, blowing light on the small cut and then gently sticks the band-aid onto the little girl’s knee. “All done.” He said with a smile. “And here,” he added, as he rummaging through his backpack, he gradually took out a packet of gummy bears and gave it to the girl. “As a doctor, I prescribe you to eat this two time in one hour, the entire day. Don’t miss any, alright, can I trust you with that?” The little girl nodded excitedly.

Kwon Yul then helped the little girl up to her feet and gave her the packet of gummy bear before turning to the girl’s mother and started apologizing. Touched by how the fireman treated her daughter, the mother eventually smiled and insisted the matter was alright. Just when the mother daughter pair was about to leave, the little girl waved excitedly at the fireman as she started to munch on the gummy bears. Yul looked on, waving back.

Just when Ji Sukjin calling the rest, informing their ride to the resort had arrived, everyone was on the move except Hwang Tiffany. She remained still, just watching Kwon Yul acting so nicely toward the child. Without noticing it, she was slowly approaching the fire-fighter. Yul, who had gathered his first-aid kit inside his backpack, got up to his feet and saw his former boss making her way to him. He smiled.

Tiffany wanted to say something to her but it seemed like she had lost her thoughts. Instead of showing off that frowning gaze of hers, she ended up smiling, matching to those on the fire-fighter’s face. “Good job.” She suddenly said, before moving off following Kim Hyoyeon, who waited for her by the doorway.

‘Good job!? She thought. ‘Why would I say that at a time like this, oh crap, Fany, get your self together. Concentrate. Try to think this through, ok. You like him, ok, I know that but think of this through first. Enjoy this vacation. Besides, he’ll be busy making Yoongie’s life a hell. He will never have time to deal with your feeling. Calm down. It’s just a crush... it’s just a cru—‘

“Kwon Yul Oppa, come sit with me!” called out Yoon Bora, from the entrance to the luxurious bus. Snapping out of her train of thoughts, Hwang Tiffany looked on and watched Yoon Bora leading Kwon Yul into the bus. She, on the other hand, was standing still feeling the tug of her best friend, Kim Hyoyeon, by her side.

“Yah, Fany-ah!” called Hyoyeon.

“Hmm?” Tiffany responded but her eyes were lingered on the faces of Kwon Yul and Yoon Bora through the windows of the bus. They were seated at the back.

“Hurry up.” Hyoyeon said.

“Ok. Ok. I’m coming.”

**********

Business was slow and since the elderly couple exited the Sherbet, there was no one else coming through the door. Probably because, the paparazzi were still hanging about outside, waiting so patiently and eagerly for a certain someone to get out of the restaurant. Well, actually, that certain someone had already left the place, thanks to Kim Taeng and the restaurant’s back door. Now, hours had passed, and no customers left to attend to, it was best to close the restaurant down. Everyone stayed behind to clean up the place and to pack up all those leftovers. One by one, they left the Sherbet’s and one by one, knowing their big scoop had left the building, the paparazzi left as well.

Staying behind was the owner of the Sherbet, Lee Soonkyu. He was shutting down the blind tight and compiled the day’s earning into the safe inside his office. One twist of his key, his office door was tightly sealed and he was on his way to the front. Then suddenly, that familiar ring of the bell above the entrance door was heard. “We’re closed!” informed Soonkyu, not even mind to see who it was. What followed were quick footsteps and then a pair of arms hugging his mid-section from behind. Soonkyu froze on the spot.

“Guess who...” cooed the soft voice. At first, Soonkyu thought it would be Hyosung but when he listened carefully to her voice, he couldn’t help but smile at the image forming in his mind. He looked down to the hands locked around his middle, reached out for them and let his own hands intertwined with them. Those small hands, he remembered, just like that night. Soonkyu slowly turned and smiled at the lively figure that stood before him, wearing her signature long coat. He smiled, couldn’t contain his relief.

He was getting rather worry that she wouldn’t come by today. Of course, he knew that she has other things to do, for sure; she won’t come by all the time. But still, seeing her here at the Sherbet was incredible for Soonkyu.

“I hope to hear progress about Seohyun,” Jung Jessica started, moving over to the counter where she took a seat on one of the stool. The Chef followed her, occupying the one next to hers. “Or is she still… you know…”

The latter nodded. Jessica drew out a sigh. “I got a text from Hyo and things with Yoong are a bit hard. Kwon Yul-ssi was going about the place, trying to crack him up. I guess this will be a hard one. Yoong may look weak but he’s a fighter.”

“And so I heard from his fans,” Soonkyu added, earning a curious look from the author. “There were a group of Im-nites earlier on today just outside holding up a banner saying ‘Im Yoong is MINE’. A bit intimidating, sure, but it’s just childish. Seohyun ended up pouring bucket of water on them from upstairs’ window.” The latter laughed. “Oh you should’ve seen her. I never saw her smile like that in a while.”

“She’s smiling,” Jessica added, “That’s a good start.”

“Yeah,” Soonkyu agreed, “Hoping to see it again tomorrow.” Lifting his gaze up, now locking his eyes upon hers, he then added, “Hoping to see you tomorrow too. Is it possible? The guys are getting suspicious. They were getting curious on how I was being all hyper lately, I’m blaming you.”

Jung Jessica laughed. “What’s wrong with being hyper, Soonkyu sunsaengnim?”

“Sunsaengnim?” The Chef repeated, playfully frowning at the formality the Author used. Stepping out off the stool, he then moved over to her and continued, “I thought we’re over that phase. No sunsaengnim. No sunbaenim. No—“

A fistful of the Chef’s shirt, it allowed Jung Jessica to silence the young man with something close to her heart. Her kiss. As of late, she was never afraid to show how much she likes the Chef. She would give him a back hug. Peck his cheek. Hold on his arm tight. Even, play around throwing flours at him whenever they were in the Sherbet’s kitchen. She never had this kind of relationship with Woosung and now, it was evidently clear to her now where she want to be. And that’ll be right by Soonkyu’s side. She needs to end her engagement with Woosung fast and hopefully, there won’t be any trouble.

**********

“Alright, everyone, dinner will be serve at 8 o’clock in the Grand Dining Hall.” Announced the Resort’s representative, with his overly exaggerated hands gesture. “Do enjoy your stay and don’t be hesitating to call up our service.” With that, everyone went off to their rooms and settle in. Hwang Tiffany and Kim Hyoyeon decided to share a room together while Yoon Bora rooming with the maknae, Luna. For Im Yoong, well, he’s very unlucky.

“Have a seat, Yoong-ssi.” Kwon Yul started, gesturing at the empty single bed right next to his. “Come on, we don’t have much time, sit!” As told, Yoong sat down and was afraid to lift his head up to the fire-fighter. “Listen, I don’t want to be such a bully--:

“You’re already a bully.” Mumbled Im Yoong, not realizing that his voice was loud enough for Kwon Yul to hear.

Kwon Yul rose his eyebrow and snapped, “WHAT did you just said? I don’t think I can hear you well.”

“Nothing. Nothing.”

“Good.” Yul affirmed. “It better be nothing on those tabloid sites once this vacation is over. I don’t like you messing with my sister and I am pretty sure she doesn’t like it too. If you want to survive, kid, you better do what I say. If you want to play a game, sure go ahead but I’ll make sure your stay here will be one bucketful of shi—“

“Guys, we’re heading down to the pool, wanna come?” Kim Hyoyeon interjected, moving into the room, not even care to knock. The door was wide opened anyway.

“I’m coming!” shouted Im Yoong, jumping off the bed and hurried out of the room. Hyoyeon watched the model dashed out in such a frenzy and turned her attention to the fire-fighter. “He’s faster than when I call him for dinner.”

“Must be something about the pool that makes him hyper.” Yul said, shrugging.

“You’re not coming?”

“You go on ahead. I need to take a nap.”

“We’ll be downstairs.” Hyoyeon said, exiting the room and closed the door behind her. Well, the day was starting and for Yul to carry out his mission, he needs a plan. The base of it was to ‘torture’ Im Yoong in his own special way but even so, plan B must be needed. But how?

Moving from the bed to the veranda, Kwon Yul stretched out his arms and yawned before leaning against the railing. Down below, he saw few of the models from the TREX company gathering up enjoying the poolside. Few fashion designers here and there but, to his surprise, there was no Hwang Tiffany. “Hmm. Where is she?” His question was answered. And it was answered in the most unthinkable way. Coming out from the side, Hwang Tiffany was clad with short shorts and a tank top that fitted her well, emphasizing her curvaceous frame. With her hair tied up and a huge ray-ban shading her eyes, she then sat down to the lounger chair next to where Hyoyeon sat and relax.

Up on the third floor veranda, Kwon Yul ended up staring. “Holy… wow.”

 

Author's Note:

Update in 7 days. Shout out to new subscribers and voters and commenters! SHHOUT TO EVERYONE!!! hehehe