Chapter 19

Beautiful Disaster

Chapter 19

 

Kwon Seohyun was occupying herself by reading her Robert Galbraith’s ‘The Cuckoo’s Calling’ and slowly drinking a cup of tea when a laughter echoed throughout the apartment. Of course, the college girl would freak out especially in this broad daylight. The television was off, for a start, and her oppa’s laptop had been untouched since yesterday. She looked around the living room through the wide square hole in the wall. She stepped off the stool, placed her vibrant bookmark into the book and set off to the other room. Just as she stepped out, at the corner of her eyes, she saw Kim Taeng was wiping his tears off his eyes. He wasn’t crying, not with that devious smirk on his face. The fire-fighter was laughing his off. Seohyun curiously approached him.

There was a phone he pressed against his ear. Could it be there was an update from Jeju Island?

“Oppa?” Seohyun spoke up, moving in closer. Kim Taeng spun around happily, jumped a little at the sight of the college girl before flashing a smile. Seohyun arched her eyebrow.

“Hyoyeon-ah, I call you later, ok? Bye.” Taeng said to the phone. Oh, so he was talking to Kim Hyoyeon then. It must be about Kwon Yul. It must be. But, what’s with that hysterical ahjussi laugh?

Kim Taeng let out a hearty chuckle as he put away his phone. He then approached his best friend’s sister; put his hands on her shoulders. He was pressing his lips together, obviously holding back his laughter. His eyes even turned into crescent shapes as he shook his head, holding back whatever was making him like this. Seohyun was not amused and at this point on, was getting rather impatient. The fire-fighter let out a long sigh, looking elsewhere for a moment. He then titled his head to the latter, slowly spun her around and pushed her out to the living room.

“Don’t know if this is ‘good’ news for you, Seo-yah.” She heard him said. Seohyun looked over her shoulder, wondering what he was talking about. Taeng dipped his head to the side and moved his brows. Alright, there’s definitely ridiculous had happened at Jeju. Always such thing. Whenever Kim Taeng moved those brows of his, something was wrong. Guiding her to the couch, Taeng took a spot on the coffee table while Seohyun sat on the couch, her hands on her lap.

“Well?” the youngest Kwon was getting impatient. Whatever the punch to this delayed punch was no working its magic much. The latter held his hands up, gesturing that Seohyun would wait. Wait for what? What else is there she need to wait for? If this carries on, she’ll have this man in a headlock and if desperate, kick him down below. But she’s not that kind of person. She’s never impatient like her brother. She has her own set of grace.

Watching Kim Taeng gathering himself, taking time to breathe in, he then eventually let out what Seohyun was dying – ok, maybe ‘dying’ a strong word but it kind of fit here, somehow – to know. And what was said by the fire-fighter did not elevated her stress, instead it was making her wonder more about the biological experiments of her parents, those years ago. According to Kim Taeng, Kwon Yul had let himself stuck in a situation that was so Yul. That silly, sudden situation. Unlike how the past scenario went, this time, there was solid evidence leading to it. Well, Kwon Yul was never strong when it comes to alcohol. Among the trio best friends, where there was him, Soonkyu and Taeng; Yul will be in the last of the rank as Soonkyu will be the one conquering the top spot.

Seohyun leaned back against the couch as she stared at the fire-fighter, listening to the story over and over again. She did not find it as funny as how Taeng perceived it. Her brother was supposed to be there, getting on with the TREX trip to fix the problem she was in. That so-called scandalous Im Yoong’s secret girl scandal. What the hell Yul had been doing there?

“Haha—“ Taeng drew out, taking a quick breather as he held his stomach, overwhelmed by how much he was laughing from this. Who wouldn’t like the story about your best friend losing it when he was drunk and did the unthinkable by kissing their former boss in one night? It was so like Yul. Taeng should tell this to Soonkyu, at least, the Chef will share in the epic disaster done by their best friend. “Come on, Seo-yah, its funny!”

The latter was still not amused. Just as Taeng was recalling the story over and over, holding his stomach too; Seohyun grown frustrated, got up and marched off to her room. Back in the living room, Taeng didn’t noticed. Kwon Seohyun shut the door behind her and started to her wardrobe. Looking at her clothes, she hastily took few off the hangers and threw them onto her bed. From the wardrobe to the drawers and then to the corner of the room; she picked up the luggage and kicked it open. Minutes later, she was dragging the luggage out of her room and slammed it down right next to the front door. It shook the room and at last, shook Kim Taeng.

He was in a shock. Stumbling along the way, from the coffee table to the door; he held Kwon Seohyun back and looked at her, confused. Before he could even say a word, Seohyun beat him to it and exclaimed, “I am not gonna sit around and wait for Yul Oppa to fix this. I don’t care what you three are thinking, I am going to fix this alone. I’m going to Jeju, whether you like it or not.”

“You can’t!”

“Oh, are you really want to go against me right now, Oppa?” she smirked. Taeng knew that smirk. It’s her you-in-deep-trouble smirk. Oh boy...

**********

“Are you crazy? Go after her!” yelled Lee Soonkyu to his phone. At the other end of the call, Kim Taeng was mumbling and whining incoherent things. Soonkyu walked out of the kitchen and stood by the counter, trying to think of a plan to get back Seohyun. Four hours had passed and after so many attempts to get out of the complicated knots of a former dedicated scout girl, Taeng was free and the first thing he did was to call his best friend, the Sherbet’s Chef. Thinking of the situation thoroughly, he should’ve chase after Kwon Seohyun. Nevertheless, judging by the long hours Taeng found himself trapped in, it was no use to chase. Beside, Seohyun could be on a plane ride to Jeju right at this moment. Oh, the look on Kwon Yul’s face when he finds out his sister will be—no, what’s worse will be how Im Yoong will take it.

According to Kim Hyoyeon, who had been diligently taking note on the well-being on Im Yoong since his silly ‘I-have-a-girlfriend’ outburst, the heartthrob model was acting rather distant, forceful somehow. This was unusual coming from someone who always been an energetic pill to the company. One time, right after lunch time, Hyoyeon saw Yoong sitting out by the pool on his own, just browsing through the celebrity blogs and get on the phone telling them – if Hyo remembered clearly – their story was legitimately wrong. Did Kwon Yul did his job? No. The fire-fighter was too busy with whatever it was with Hwang Tiffany.

It was, Hyoyeon kept repeating it, strange.

The Sherbet’s Chef held his phone still by his ear. He was thinking through all Taeng had told him, from the Yul and Hwang the Terrible’s situation to Im Yoong’s bizarre behaviour and now to Kwon Seohyun’s sudden brave behaviour.

“I’m gonna go after her, Kyu-ah,” Taeng made his decision over the phone, “are you coming with me?”

“Of course I’m coming with you, hyung.” Soonkyu affirmed. “This is Seohyun we’re talking about it. This concerns us as much as it concerns Yul.”

“Good, I’m heading off to the airport later in the evening,” Taeng laid out his plan, “Gotta check with the chief before I fly off. See you later.”

“Ok, hyung, see you.”

Later, about an hour or so, Soonkyu exited his office, carrying his bag and made his way to the counter where Kim Shinyoung was. He passed her the key, noting the confusion in the latter’s face. “I’m going to Jeju to check on things.” The latter was still curious. The Chef then moved in closer and whispered, “Seohyun ran off to Jeju so Taengoo and I are going there to get her back. I want you to take care of Sherbet while I’m gone, remember what I said, alright.”

“That I’m ok but Soonkyu-ah, about Hyosung’s—“

“Shh.” As of late, just by name of the Chef’s ex-girlfriend, it sort of became a taboo or maybe a trigger to an unrestrained bad-mouthing of the undercover heroine (Soonkyu thinks Hyosung’s a hero). The staff knew how devastated Soonkyu was when she left him, to the point where he isolated himself from the others. He had a hard time to recover from that. Now, Hyosung came back without intention no one know off except Soonkyu and now, Kim Shinyoung. She’s the only one Soonkyu can trust with this risky information. Hopefully, by giving her his trust as well, she will play her part and keep this a secret. There’s something bigger they need to put their energy on and it matters the status of the Sherbet. The arrival of the lawyer from couple of days ago was one of it, as stated by Hyosung.

To be honest, Kim Shinyoung was quite spectical about trusting Hyosung and knowing Soonkyu trust her as well was worrisome. She had known Hyosung for a long time. She was there when Hyosung and Soonkyu started dating. What makes it hard for her was how Hyosung changed so much; she was a total stranger in her eyes.

“Noona,” Soonkyu uttered, looking around him cautiously before turning back to the Pastry Chef. “I know you hate her and have doubts but please believe her for this one time, beside she was right about that lawyer. He was Seong Woosung’s, that what Hyosung-ie said, I checked on it, she’s not kidding... and whatever he’s planning, it’s not gonna be good on our business... Felix Ahjussi from two shops down got his spot sold without him noticing it. And not too long ago, Yeonae’s flower shop got sold too. It’s a matter of time Woosung will get to us.”

“Seong Woosung?” Shinyoung mouthed the name, as if it was familiar. “He’s that businessman from that hotshot company uptown. Wasn’t he the one that came by not too long ago... you know, the one with Jung Jessica, the author? Her fiancé. That’s him.”

“W-what?”

“Don’t you know? That’s him. I swear.”

**********

“Psst! Yah! Im Yoong!”

TREX prized male model had his back against the wall, moving sideways until his shoulder reached the corner. He then the spot, now leaning his front against the wall. Yoong poke his head to the corner, wildly roaming his eyes around the main hall. Next to him, with his back against the wall, was Kwon Yul, who looked incredibly nervous.

“Im Yoong!” Kwon Yul called, his tone was shaky. Seriously, the man was scared for his life. Ever since the dinner party or wrong-timing-to-get-drunk party and on the account of Im Yoong and even Kim Hyoyeon that Kwon Yul did the unthinkable, he constantly feel that he was not safe anytime anywhere. Well, except for today, the ladies of TREX had decided to go to the beach, which includes Hwang Tiffany. Yul hoped. This was why both this men who ended up being friends in such weird situation, Kwon Yul and Im Yoong, was out in the main lobby to make sure the information is true.

Im Yoong pokes his head further, looking around the area by the receptionist and informed his partner, “I saw Hyoyeon noona, hyung.”

“Good.” Yul exhaled, though his concern did not die yet. “How about Hwang the Terri—I mean, Fany, is she there? Please tell me she’s there, Yoongie-ah.”

Yoong poked his head out, now looking for someone who has pink handbag or pink high heels or pink—

“Oppa, what are you doing?”

Kwon Yul and Im Yoong shrieked, jumped terribly on the spot and ended up bumping their heads together. They slid down against the wall, down to the floor, holding their heads. “Hyung!” groaned Yoong.

“Sorry.”

“Are you two... bonding?” asked the voice. Yul and Yoong (YoonYul, hahaha) looked up and found Yoon Bora, with her sporty backpack and getup, staring down at the duo, surprised to see them not playing evil boss and weak secretary. The duo quickly got up to their feet. Each put their index fingers up and pressed it on their lips, which instead of keeping Bora quiet down, it made her voiced out her curiousity. “I thought you two don’t like each other and mfffttt-“ It had to be done. Yoong had his palm clasped on the latter’s mouth while Yul lifted her up by her waist on his shoulder. “Getffttt mfffttt dffffffn mfffttt!” Bora struggled.

Once they were out of the lobby, into a small janitor’s closet, Yul gently put the latter down his shoulder and was about to apologize, only to have his head get smacked by the sports bag. The poor fire-fighter got thrown to the side, colliding with the wooden rack. Yoong, knowing Bora well, stepped up and clasped her arms. “Bora! Calm down!”

“YOU TWO GOT ME IN HERE! HOW AM I GONNA CALM DOWN?” Bora hissed at the model’s face, trying to hit him as well with her sports bag, which apparently must’ve filled with rocks, judging that Yul was semi unconscious by the side.

“Bora!” Yoong tried to calm her again, still no use. Getting his gaze down over at the fire-fighter, who probably seeing stars swirling around his head, he knew what he need to do. He doesn’t approve of the idea. Turning back to the fashion designer who struggled under his hold, Yoong whispered, “Sorry.” The moment that word escaped his lips, Bora looked up with wide-eyes. She wanted to say something but instead, was locked on Yoong’s.

Im Yoong tensed up as he kissed her. His mind too focused on calm her down. But, what he couldn’t ignore was how familiar it felt. Her lips were soft on his. That feathery brush felt on the tip of his nose against hers ignited the memory long forgotten. Without thinking, Yoong captured , plunging into her minty chocolate taste. Oh God, why does she have to eat that at a time like this? And then, that scent, was it her perfume? Her shampoo, maybe? Whatever it was, it smelled like Yoon Bora, that intoxicating scent Im Yoong once loved. Realizing what he was doing, Yoong pulled away – though reluctant – and shakily breathes out.

“You promised you won’t do that.” he heard Bora’s voice, her hot breath felt on his face.

“I want to.” Yoong let out. He ‘wants’ to? And that was it. Bora pushed him off, wiping off the taste from her lips. Yoong quickly regretted doing it. He could’ve done something else but why he chose to kiss her? Luckily, this will stuck between the two of them since Yul was still dizzy from Bora’s attack.

Bora hugged her bag, trying to avoid looking at Im Yoong. Yoong, on the other hand, looked elsewhere as well. As Kwon Yul regained his senses, Yoong helped him up to his feet. Yul grinned sheepishly at his friend before turning his attention to Yoon Bora. “D’you stacks some rocks in that thing?” Yul pointed at the backpack Bora was holding. “That was quite a hit there.”

Bora glared at the pair. “What are you guys doing anyway? It’s not a nice sight seeing you two creeping around like that.”

“We don’t mean harm to you.” Yul tried to explain but Bora cut him off.

“You don’t mean harm to me, unlike someone.” She snapped, glaring at Im Yoong, who was semi-hiding behind Kwon Yul.

The fire-fighter didn’t notice it. He continued, “Is Tiffany coming along with you girls?”

“Of course, Fany unnie gonna come along. Why? Are you trying to slam your lips on her again? Was it not enough the last time?”

“I was drunk, Bora. You gotta believe me.”

“At this rate, Fany is who I can believe, oppa.” Bora snapped at Kwon Yul. “Now, if you excuse me, I have to go to the beach and the girls.” Leaving the duo behind, Bora marched out of the janitor’s closet, thinking back that kiss Yoong gave to her. Why would he do that? He was the one who dumped her in the first place.

**********

Jung Krystal was drawing a cartoonish version of her and her sister on a sketchbook while the older Jung was sleeping soundly by her side. The Jung sisters decided to fly off to Jeju Island to meet up with Jessica’s best friends, just a getaway from the stressful life back at Seoul. Actually, it wasn’t as much stressful as you think. Krystal knew all about her sister and the Sherbet’s Chef. And she actually approved of it. It’s just that, Jessica doesn’t know that her sister aware of it. To Jessica, it was not the time yet. She needs to end it with Woosung so that she can officially be with Soonkyu. The thought of it made her giddy.

If only Woosung brave enough to give his time to Jessica, it will end fast. But the man was not around and he didn’t even tell his soon-to-be-ex fiancé his whereabouts. Jessica asked his secretary and they doesn’t know. She asked his parents, even they don’t know. Kind of sad though, meeting them like that. They didn’t know about what went on between Jessica and Woosung. They were so kind and sweet, it was a shocker that Woosung didn’t inherit those traits from them.

Unknown to the Jung sister, their flight to Jeju was the same flight taken by Kwon Seohyun. Back in the economy section, the youngest Kwon was sitting right next to a sleeping grandmother, who kept letting her head rested on Seohyun’s shoulder. It doesn’t bother her much because in her mind, all she could think about was what she wanted to say to Im Yoong. She hoped it will get through his thick skull. 

 

 

Author's note:

So sorry with the delay, guys. Its here though. I'm multi-tasking at the moment, polishing Midnight Creed and then with this story. Stay with me, ok. Thanks for your feedbacks, I appreciate them and hello to the new subscribers. HIIIIII!

Update will be in 7 days. See you soon.