Chapter 18

Beautiful Disaster

Chapter 18

It was embarrassing. For the eyes. For the ears. For everything. It was mortifying, not just for his younger sister’s daughter but for the pupil that served under him. They were either looking elsewhere or try to sneak out of the dining hall to save their clean image. It was not really a big deal actually. It was predictable as it always been. Whenever there were alcohol involve – variety of them – it will ended up having the TREX President to get up from his seat, asked the hotel staff to bring in a karaoke machine and sing his heart out until the dead of night. Well, right now, the night was still young and none of the pupil has fallen to the sandman’s spells. That’s a shame. Standing by the karaoke machine, hastily holding the microphone; President Ji Sukjin was mumbling the words as he saucily swayed his hips to Brown Eyed Girls’ ‘Abracadabra’. Though few of the pupils joined in this craze, others stepped out. That included the President’s niece.

Out in the corridor, Choi Sooyoung was shaking her head all the way. Down the aisle, she quickly reached the elevator and hurriedly punched the ‘Up’ button and waited. Behind her, Kwon Yul quickened his pace and finally stood by the soon to be TREX President. Sooyoung turned her head to the side and watched the fire-fighter gasping for air.

Kwon Yul stood up straight, took a deep breath and managed, “Shouldn’t you stay in there and make sure the boss don’t do anything ‘wild’.”

Choi Sooyoung scoffed. “Define ‘wild’, Kwon Yul-ssi.” She shook her head and faced the fire-fighter. Arms crossed by her front, Sooyoung then continued, “There’s nothing we – I – need to worry about. It’s a common thing seeing Samchon like that. Everyone knows it.” The latter was not convinced. “Listen,” the VP added, entering the elevator straightaway, taking the fire-fighter with her. She then punched on the number and turned to the fire-fighter. “Samchon may look like he’s all comfy and nice but there’s a moment where he need to loosen up. This is one of it.”

“Sooyoung-ssi-“ Kwon Yul responded softly, “Have you seen what he was doing down there? President Ji had his tie tied up on his forehead and he was swinging his belt like it was a whip. If it carries on, we’ll have a circus.”

“You should’ve seen the last time he got drunk,” Sooyoung started, not taking the concern too well, which earned her a not-so-satisfied grin from the fire-fighter. “He was blowing a ladle, pretending it was a flute summoning a napkin-folded snake. And he folded that napkin on his own.”

Kwon Yul sighed. There so much he does not understand about this group of people. Earlier on that evening, one of which he thought it’ll be a normal dinner party; it had turned out to be the most bizarre ever. No one was sane in TREX. Here few instances. The first was, well, of course, the outrageous drunkard behaviour of the TREX President. The second was the strange behaviour of Im Yoong who, from what Kwon Yul gathered, had been eating non-stop like an animal and was did something that does not live up to his status as an International model slash heartthrob. He was acting like a child on high sugar level. Im Yoong, Kwon Yul shockingly witnessed was on a rampage around the dining hall. The model was climbing up the chairs, the tables and was being such a nuisance as he was disturbing his fellow models by meddling in their private conversations and even eating their food. Seeing this, Kwon Yul was determined not to have him dating his sister. But that was not the end of this strange evening.

Most of the time sitting there at the dining table, trying to finish and enjoy his meal; Yul’s gaze unconsciously rose up from his plate and stayed at the woman sitting opposite him. Always at that brunette haired fashion designer. He pulled away, trying to focus on the plate of who-knows-what salad. It didn’t end there. Just the main course was served, Kwon Yul, who was toying around with the pasta, let his eyes rose this time and he remained frozen as he watched Hwang Tiffany elegantly pushed her hair off her face and tucked it behind her ear. Her white skin, so soft and smooth, and her glossy red lips that he found still shining brightly underneath the dim yellowish light of the dining hall. His eyes then lingered to her rosy cheek and up to her curled eyelashes. Ok, wow. Hwang Tiffany was looking rather beautiful tonight, Yul noticed. Well, she always was beautiful, that he noticed where he literally swept her off her feet before those dozen cans of hairspray blow up. But this, this particular clothing she wore, the way she presented her self in such formal (not so much anymore thanks to them) occasion; she was just...

What the hell is wrong with me?

A ‘ping’ brought the fire-fighter back to reality. He blinked. The VP was no longer inside the elevator with him. Yul must’ve spaced out for a while there. Staring up at the indicator above, he noticed that he was now at the ground floor. Another ‘Ping’ was heard and this time the door slides open. He quickly stepped aside, to make a way for whoever wanting to use the elevator. A voice wakes him instead.

A soft voice called his name and whoever it was, it made Yul jumped a little. Back against the wall of the elevator, Kwon Yul felt his face frozen up and now heating up as he saw Hwang Tiffany standing there. He wanted to steer his gaze away, far away as possible but it glued to her still flawless face. The way she raised her eyebrow made him, well, astonished. If that word fit well with this situation.

“You missed all the fun back there, Yul-ah.” Her voice was heard and it made him tensed up. He shifted a little. The Fashion Designer looked at the fire-fighter strangely before settling inside the elevator. She pressed the button and stood aside as the door closes. Leaning at the opposite wall, Tiffany let out a deep sigh.

Kwon Yul regained his senses and diverted his attention to her. His fingers, sweating that cold sweat, went up to his collar, trying to loosen that up. He was standing there, being awkward as far as he could get. Rubbing his palms on his sleeves, he then pretended to fold his arms. ‘Stop being like this, Kwon Yul! What the hell is wrong with you!? This is just a normal event. You’re on a holiday and not to mention, on a freaking mission, remember? Yah! Kwon Seohyun is sulking at home and NO, there’s NO time for you to fall for... her. Think of Hyunnie.’

“Kwon Yul... do you like Yoon Bora?” Hwang Tiffany started, breaking the fire-fighter’s thought. The latter shot his eyes wide and pushed his head to the side so hard; he could hear the crack on his neck. He cringed at the pain, letting his hand up to his neck. But that question, it was so sudden. Why on earth would she ask him that? Her. The one who he despised earlier on throughout this service. The one who like to yell at him. Fight with him. Her.

The Fire-fighter let his hand down as he turned to her. What intrigued her other than the question was the look on her face. There was nothing he could get out of it. She was staring at him like it was nothing, like she was staring right through him. All her muscle was still like a board except for one. Her eyes. That pair of brown ones were staring softly into Yul’s orbs. He could actually feel it. Like she was pleading or hoping or... wishing.

As ‘Ping’ sounded inside the elevator, Hwang Tiffany let her gaze off of the fire-fighter and stepped towards the number. She pressed the top button and remained still. Kwon Yul watched her standing by his side now, just by his right arm. Just one move he could pull her into his arms. If he want. You see, he actually wants to. It was strange how now he dare to think of such thing. Before, he would never think it would ever cross his mind. Not even once. He decided to speak up.

“Why do you ask me that?” he said, almost in a whisper, seeing that Tiffany was standing close to him by the floor numbers. Yul tilted his head to the right; frozen by how beautiful the fashion designer looked by her side profile. His fingers were begging to touch her smooth skin, hold her... to k--

Hwang Tiffany took a step back and looked up at him.  “Just curious,” she replied at last, her eyes roamed to Yul’s own pair  “I saw how you two get along. Pretty well, too. Kinda make me curious what the current status between the two of you.”

“We’re just friends.” Yul responded, almost defensively and slowly regaining his consciousness. His fuzzy gazes starting to clear up, the magic also starting to bring out the reality. Here he stood with his back against the wall and with this Fashion Designer clad in this striking evening dress by his side. He was loosening up now and he glad it so. With a quick inhale, he let out a light scoff and let out, “Just because two people are getting along well, Tiffany-ssi, it doesn’t mean they are into each other. This is not a chick flick.”

Wrong move, dude.

As if there was something snapped loud in his ears, Kwon Yul stiffened a little when Hwang Tiffany shot her formerly soft orbs right at him. Her eyes were piercing. Just like those daggers like glares she gave him on the day he saved her. The very same. Tiffany crossed her arms and started, “Wow... is this what I get for asking so nicely? I guessed people cannot change for the better and you’re a hardcore proof of it.” She glared. “Still the touchy guy, huh? I’m not surprised.”

“Nicely?” Yul retaliated. “You weren’t asking it nicely, Tiffany-ssi. You just came out of nowhere, without warning whatsoever and just slap that ridiculous question right on my face. Think about your self before talking about me.” Yul then pressed on the button and let the door slides open. He then hurried out, which to his irritation, and was followed by the Fashion Designer.

“What the hell is wrong with you, Kwon Yul?” yelled the Fashion Designer, struggling with the killer heels as she hurried after the fire-fighter. “I was being nice and being a friend. You cannot blame my curiosity. It’s you that taking this too hard. What I ask was as simple as it is. It takes no scientist to figure that out.”

Kwon Yul stopped halfway, nearly making the Fashion Designer bumping into him. Turning on the spot, now noticing the latter gradually taking off her heels; Kwon Yul looked up and said, “Ok. Maybe I am being a little sensitive. I mean, why wouldn’t I? You just asked me the unthinkable, the so-not-gonna-happen. If you’re jealous about how close I am with Bora, just say it and if you tone down your arrogant side, things might work out well for us.”

Hwang Tiffany shook her head. “Listen, I don’t know what really goes on inside that ridiculous thick skull of yours but, if you’re really curious why, I was looking out for my donsaeng. And seeing how you two get along well, I don’t want her to get too close with you, I don’t want her to get hurt.” She sighed. “Are you happy?”

The Fire-fighter mentally slapped his self. He sighed, looking away straightaway. “Sorry,” he mumbled, “I didn’t mean to get mad at you like that. I’m sorry.”

The latter rolled her eyes. “I’m not surprised, just so you know, coming from you.” She studied his face. “The girl is crushing on you, Yul. Do something about it.” Just as the fire-fighter was trying to calm down, perhaps digesting his embarrassment moment despite knowing the potential chemistry with Bora; Hwang Tiffany her heels. She flung her heels onto her shoulder and took off.

Kwon Yul, noticing his former boss moving on, he quickly dashed off to her and started. “Wait, Tiffany-ssi—“ the latter turned to him. “... is that all you want to say?” Of course that’s all she wants to say, what else do you expect? That she’s in love with you too? Dream on—

SHUT UP BRAIN!!

Geez, check out the temper on this fella.

“Go back to your room, Kwon Yul.” Hwang Tiffany ordered and this made the fire-fighter stared back, confused. “You’re freaking drunk.”

“What?” the latter replied in a high-pitched voice. “I am nnnnot drunk.” He slurred, waving his hand forward.

“Are you? Are you really sure about that?”

The fire-fighter persistently nodded.

“Then why are you standing out here holding a hairdryer and a sock?”

“I did no—“ Looks like Kwon Yul was on the verge of loony land. There he stood, right outside his room, holding – just like Tiffany said – a blowing hairdryer and a grey sock. What was worse about this was the cold fact that he was only in his boxer. Not pants. No shirt. No memory of it whatsoever.

Hang on a minute! Then what about—

Kwon Yul shot his eyes up back to Hwang Tiffany, wanting to ask but instead of the Fashion Designer, he was facing his sister, who looked at him with saddened eyes. “Hyunnie—“ To his disbelief, coming out from a nearby door, Im Yoong appeared and had his arm around Seohyun’s waist, pulling her to him lovingly. “YAH! GET OFF HER!” Yul yelled.

They didn’t moved.

“YAH IM YOONG!”

They just stared.

“IM YOONG, DO YOU WANNA DIE!?”

They kept staring.

“IM YOOOOOOONG—“

All of a sudden, Kwon Yul felt like he was dropping off from an edge and hit his side hard. He was blanketed with something that disabled him from moving around. He started to struggle. “IM YOONG!” Yul started to kick, pulling off the material as his eyes were blinking in the darkness. However, when a light was , Kwon Yul remained still and blinks his eyes repeatedly.

He was inside the hotel room, all bundled up in the blanket and ... what happened?

“Hyung, are you ok?” a voice caught the fire-fighter’s attention. At the corner of his eyes, by the edge of the bed; Im Yoong was rubbing his eyes, looking rather sleepy. He yawned loudly. Kwon Yul quickly kicked off the loosened bed sheets and got up to his feet. Quickly staring down to his body, he noticed her was still wearing the clothes Kim Hyoyeon picked out for him for the dinner party. All still intact. Nothing different.

“What .. happened?” Yul trailed off, trying to remember. He eventually sat on his messy bed, holding his head while Im Yoong sat in front of him. Yul peeked through his fingers, looking at the male model, who was yawning for the second time now. Once Yoong gathered his self, he gazed at the fire-fighter lazily and said, “You passed out, hyung. You had this soju challenge with Ji Sukjin sunsaengnim. He won and you just... well, you were...”

“Oh God, was it bad?”

“Tiffany noona was furious because,” Yoong started, now getting scared to say what he want to let the fire-fighter know.

“Yeah?” Yul pressed on. “Spit it out, what did I do?”

“You...”

“What is it?”

“Well, you...”

“WHAT? I DID WHAT!?”

“... you kissed her.”

Kwon Yul froze. “W-w-w-w-wh-whh—“

“Yeah...”

“I’m screwed.”

**********

The paparazzi were still out by the side-walk, with their cameras and whatnot. It has been about two hours since the restaurant opened and the numbers of vulture tabloids were piling up double than yesterday. Luckily, the star of their gossip blogs and sites and whatever kind of media they used were not there. Kwon Seohyun decided not to come to the Sherbet, as suggested by Kim Taeng, who decided to take the day off to keep an eye on her. Well, the paparazzi don’t know it and it better for it to be that way. At least they were somewhere far away from the college girl. It may seem bothersome for the folks at the Sherbets but at least, the young Kwon was far from emotional harm.

Kim Shinyoung was moving out the new batch of vanilla cheesecake into the display case, happily humming at the same time. Standing by, Goo Hara was carrying a tray of empty dirty plates from the last customer. She smiled at the Pastry Chef and whispered something in the older woman’s ear. The latter chuckled and playfully smacked the girl’s arm. Hara whispered again and this time, once she placed the dirty plates into the dish washer, she secretly gestured at the restaurant owner sitting by the front window and whispered again, “Someone is in a good mood again, unnie.”

The Pastry Chef trailed her eyes over the counter, to the Head Chef who was enjoying his cup of chamomile tea as he was going about his routine. Twirling his pen between his fingers, and then scratching the tip of his pen against his head, Lee Soonkyu then continued on writing the week profit in the journal. He took a sip of the tea, clicked his pen and eventually closed his book. Over to the tight blinds, he took a peek and watched the paparazzi still hanging out the place. He smirked. These gossip vultures weren’t the one that got his attention.

Right across the streets, walking so excitedly side by side with a slightly taller identical person; Jung Jessica was hooking her arm onto her younger sister’s. The pair was going out and about with couple of shopping bags. By the window, Soonkyu leaned slightly towards the blinds and just smiled at the sight of his girlfriend out there in public. He could’ve gone out straightaway and greet her but due to the harsh truth that his girlfriend was still engaged, he had to wait.

Speaking of the jerk fiancé, his thought then recalled about the day before. Last night. Right there at Sherbet. Right after Jung Jessica left, Hyosung decided to pay a visit but not on her own amusement. For once, she has a purpose and it was ‘useful’ for Soonkyu. She told him that someone was out to get him, to get Sherbet and ruin him. Though Soonkyu was having a hard time to believe her due to the long history of lies she gave him, somehow, he thought this time will be different.

Soonkyu turned away from the blinds and rested his eyes on the book underneath his nose. Hyosung mentioned there will be someone coming over to check the place out. Where is this person then? Alright, maybe Soonkyu shouldn’t put too much thought into this. Whoever the person Hyosung mentioned wasn’t even in the Sherbet.

Too soon.

A rang of the bell above the front door was heard and a middle aged man in grey suit and carrying a suitcase entered the Sherbet. He had this thin hair smoothly pressed across his head and round horn-rimmed spectacle hiding his panda-like eyes. This man looked around the restaurant with such interest that it caught Soonkyu’s attention immediately. His eyes stuck on this man as he occupied a spot by the counter. Goo Hara then approached the man. Soonkyu, on the other hand, was about to cut in but when his phone buzzed on the table, he quickly picked it up and answered. The voice on the other end of the line made him anxious.

“That’s him, he’s Woosung’s lawyer.” announced the voice, which Soonkyu quickly recognised as his ex-girlfriend. “Oppa, you know what you need to do. Give him hell.” Before the Sherbet’s Chef could respond, the line was cut off and Hyosung was no longer there. Soonkyu put away his phone and looked at the middle-aged man, who was now enjoying the vanilla cheesecake made by his Pastry Chef.

“Oh my, this cake is delicious.” The middle-aged man spoke out in delight. He then took another spoonful of the cake and popped it into his mouth, making yet another satisfied sound. The Lawyer excitedly waved his hand, calling Goo Hara and told, “Can I have 3 slices for the road? Thank you.” Oh just look at this man, looking so nice and eager as if there was nothing maniacally evil about him. Soonkyu must do something fast. Then an idea came to his mind.

The Head Chef hurried out of the Sherbet, out to the sidewalk where the paparazzi casted him curious stares. They were picking up their cameras as Soonkyu approached them. “I have news...”

Inside, the Lawyer was enjoying himself way too much that he ended up ordering another slice of the vanilla cheesecake to eat. The rest, inside the takeaway box, was neatly placed on top of his suitcase. This man then pulled out his phone, dialled a number and uttered, “Woosung-ssi, the place is in perfect state, we’re making profit as we speak.”

“Good.” Replied Woosung at the other end of the phonecall. “Do the paperwork as soon as you can. I need that spot.”

“Consider it done, Woosung---“

FLASH!

Out of nowhere, a bright snap of white light started to light up the restaurant. Flock of paparazzi were rushing inside, snapping their expensive cameras at the lawyer and started to bombard him with questions.

“What is your relationship with Im Yoong?” “Did you force him to hide his status?” “Is it true his hair use goat milk shampoo product?”

The Lawyer was overwhelmed. He was definitely confused as hell. Here he sat, trying to carry out his task for his biggest wealthy client when all of a sudden, the paparazzi started to question him of the international model, who was not even in his list of clients. The Lawyer blinked his eyes hard, blinded by the excessive flashes. Questions were piling up, nearly deafening him. He slowly got up to his feet, shielding his eyes with his hand over his eyes and tries to move away from them. He stumbled in the process as his suitcase nearly fall out of his sweaty grip. The Lawyer then hurried out of the restaurant, still being followed by the paparazzi and dashed off trying to shake them off. However, back at the restaurant, other than the curious stares and talks; Lee Soonkyu finally relaxed as he sat back down by the window and finished his chamomile tea.

His phone buzzed inside his jacket. Soonkyu fished it out and answered.

“You still got it in you, oppa.” Hyosung drew out breathlessly at the other end of the line. This made Soonkyu laughed. “I like that laugh too.”

Soonkyu grinned. “Thanks Hyosung-ah, I owe you.”

“This is not the end of it, Oppa. Just keep your head up.”

**********

“That bastard! That idiot! That good-for-nothing-kwon-YUL!!!!” Hwang Tiffany was slamming a knife against the wooden board as she was trying to calmly slice the long loaf of bread. Making such noise so early in the morning had wakened her best friend, who was sleeping on the couch of their rented suit at the resort. Just like Tiffany, Kim Hyoyeon was having a rough night. She drank so much; she doesn’t even know what went on. Last night was a disaster, for Tiffany, it was making her want to stab the knife into something humanlike. And that human will be Kwon Yul. Sometimes she cursed on the fact how when it comes to drinking, she can handle it. About last night, she wishes to not have such strong control of her tolerance.

It was still vivid in her mind. It was when she returned from the ladies’ room and off to meet with her colleague in the dining hall. However, before she could get inside to join in the karaoke session; the fire-fighter fell out of the door, looking so drunk, the man couldn’t even stand. Seeing him like this was startling for Hwang Tiffany and she pitied him to some extent.

However, her pity had turned to total hatred when she remembered how Kwon Yul just pecked her lips and saying, “Tiffany-ssi, you are one self-centered girl but I like you.” Was that even a compliment? Tiffany surely didn’t think it so. She was too shock from the fire-fighter’s bold move, she didn’t even care the words that come of his drunkard mouth. And she did what she knows best when it comes to handling idiots like Kwon Yul.

She kicked him, right down the middle. It knocked the guy right out. What happened afterwards, she doesn’t want to waste her time to know. Well, she could’ve stay and beat the man up but what Kwon Yul did was... strangely exciting.

“It was just a light kiss.” She told herself. “Not that he was trying to kiss me... it was just a peck. There’s a huge different.” Putting away the knife into the drawer, she then started to spread some strawberry jam and took a mouthful of it. “It’s nothing. It’s just a drunkard kiss. It’s nothing. He was drunk. And you ... well you showed him who is the boss, which is you, Fany-ah... he’ll pay for this. He will...’

No matter how much she thinks about it, trying to point out the wrong in all this; Hwang Tiffany couldn’t help but vividly remembered how soft his lips was where he kissed her. Aside from the smell of the alcohol and the unsteady attempt, she could not deny how electrifying the feel was when they met like that.

Tiffany pressed her lips together at the thought of it and wondered why he would do such thing. Doesn’t he have some sort of relationship with Yoon Bora?

“Why are you doing this to me, Kwon Yul?”

 

Author's Note:

Am I on time? Uh, no? But its here!!! I am on a semester break but I have assignments I need to do (which I hope to do as early as I could). Update in 7 days folks annnnnnnnnnd I will be posting my first ever snsd fanfiction (which I posted at ssf) called 'Midnight Creed' here soon. It'll be slightly different from the ssf version. There will be no gender-bender theme on it. ;) Look out for it.

HEELLOOO NEW SUBSCRIBERS!!