Chapter 18

Love Alone

 

As soon as you guys got seated, the waiter came over to hand out the menu.
Everyone except Hyun Jin and you have ordered. It’s finally your turn. The waiter looked at you, waiting for an answer. 
“What should I eat…?” You whispered to yourself.
You looked at the menu carefully but could not decide. Everything looked nice…
“Everything on the menu is edible. Women… *sigh* are so troublesome” Hyun Jin commented.
You turned to your right to face him and just gave the *I can’t be bother with you* look. 
“2 sets of fried sauce noodles(炸醬面/Zha Jiang Mian) please.”Hyun Jin replied the waiter.
After a while, the food were served and everyone started eating.
“Wow! Yours seems very delicious…” Ji Eun looked at Jason’s fried rice.

“Want some?”Ji Eun nodded like a 5-year-old kid.

 Ahhh~” Jason smiled and fed Ji Eun.

“Opps, I’ve dirtied your face” Jason said as he wiped off the grain of rice on Ji Eun’s cheek.
“Thanks oppa!” Ji Eun grinned happily, blushing a little.

Suddenly, Jin Wan stood up and wanted to leave, but you pulled his arms.

“Where are you going?” you asked.

“Toilet.” He replied curtly and left. He needed to leave the place; he couldn’t stand looking at Ji Eun and Jason being so intimate with each other, as if they were a real couple. Every time he sees them together, it felt like he was being stabbed in the heart. He walked out of the restaurant when everyone wasn’t looking and sat on a bench nearby.

 

Jin Wan’s POV

Flashback

4 years ago…On Valentines’ Day

Its Valentine’s Day…which is the day I have decided to confess to Ji Eun. I have liked her since the first year of middle school when she and Ji Yeon became good friends. It’s been a year and I think it’s time. I should stop being a coward and just confess to her. Kim Jin Wan, Fighting!

“Ji Eun ah…” I started. I tried not to blush but I just couldn’t help it!

“Mm?” She looked up at me, smiling like an angel.

“Uh…” I reached for the box of chocolates I made for her in the pocket. I took them out slowly, getting more and more nervous as each second passed. What if she rejects me? T_T

“Jason oppa!” Ji Eun spotted Jason and ran to him immediately. There goes my chance. Before I could even take the box out, she was gone. Damn it! Why am I so slow?? T_T

There were a group of girls crowding around Jason. “Please accept my chocolate!” “No, accept mine! I made them especially for you!” the girls squealed, waving boxes of chocolate in front of him. But he didn’t accept any.

“Oh Ji Yeon ah!” Jason squirmed out of the crowd and walked to Ji Eun, making the girls pissed.

“This is for you Jason oppa” she handed him a nicely decorated pink box to him shyly.

“Thanks!” he took it readily. He picked out a heart shaped chocolate and popped it into his mouth.

“It’s delicious!” he beamed.

“Really?! I made it myself!” Ji Eun grinned and fed him more.

It was so heart-breaking. My heart seemed to crash into a million pieces. Sigh…I guess this means I was rejected. I should have known that Ji Eun likes Jason…NOT ME.

--

Nobody suspected anything, they just continued eating. But you knew that something was wrong with Jin Wan. His face was filled with anger and hurt.

“Uh…I need the toilet too.” You stood up to leave as well. Hyun Jin looked at you with a confused face but he didn’t really care and just ate.

You followed Jin Wan out of the restaurant. You knew that he wasn’t going to the toilet because it was in the opposite direction.

“Jin Wan!” you called out into the silent and dark night. There was no response.

You walked around the restaurant and finally found him sitting on the bench alone. You walked to him and sat beside him quietly.

Jin Wan noticed you immediately and turned away to wipe the tears on his cheeks.

“Jin Wan ah…are you okay?” you asked with concern, gently placing your hand on his shoulder.

“Yea…I’m fine.” He croaked and turned to face you. He was obviously not. It was dark and you couldn’t see his face nor his tears, but you knew that he had been crying.

As soon as you sat beside him, he said, “Ji Eun likes Jason hyung... ”

“Oh, so you’re sad because of this….” You pulled him in for a hug and patted his back. “It’s okay, you can cry if you want.”

Jin Wan hugged you back and started wailing.

 

 

Meanwhile at the restaurant…

*What’s taking her so long?*Hyun Jin thought, feeling a little worried.

He placed his chopsticks on the table beside his bowl and just stood up to leave without saying a word.

Ji Eun, Jason and Hae Won looked at him with their mouths open, puzzled.

“What’s with that punk?” Jason furrowed his eyebrows.

“Uh…I’ll follow him.” Hae Won replied and went after Hyun Jin.

Hyun Jin went to check the girl’s toilet.

“Ji Yeon!” he called into the girl’s toilet awkwardly and tried to peep in whenever the door opened. Women who came in and out of the toilet stared at him weirdly, thinking he was some ert.

“Uh excuse me” he asked a woman who just came out of the toilet. “Is there anyone else inside?”

The woman just shook her head in annoyance and went away hurriedly.

*Damn! Where the hell is she then?! Ugh*he scratched his head and he grew more worried as each second passed.

“Hey!” Hae Won suddenly appeared. “What are you do-”

Before Hae Won could finish his sentence, Hyun Jin just rushed off, brushing past Hae Won’s shoulder but completely ignoring him.

“Ow!” Hae Won winced in pain as he clutched his shoulder. “Aish! Wait for meee!!”

Hyun Jin ran out of the restaurant and ran around in the vicinity, frantically searching for you.

 He took out his cellphone and called Ji Yeon.

“Brrrrrr brrrr” there was no answer.

“Damn! Answer the phone…please…” Hyun Jin pleaded to himself.

“Brrrrrr Brrrr” still no answer.

“@#%@#!$!” he threw his phone on the floor in frustration and continued looking for you.

Just then, he heard someone crying from a distance. He followed the voice and turned around the corner to see you and Jin Wan hugging.

His heart sank the moment he saw that. He gritted his teeth and his hands curled into a fist. Somehow, he felt like he was betrayed…

“Hey!” Hae Won caught up and rested his hands on his knees, panting heavily. “Why the hell are you running? And why the hell did you throw your phone on the ground?!” he asked and looked at Hyun Jin, only to see him staring at something. He stood up straight and followed his gaze. He realised that Hyun Jin was looking at the both of you.

“Hyun Jin…” Hae Won looked at Hyun Jin and noticed that he was angry. Hyun Jin glared at Hae Won and just walked away.

“What’s wrong with him?” Hae Won muttered to himself, still a bit breathless. He glanced at the both of you who were still hugging sadly and followed Hyun Jin back to the restaurant.

 

Back to you and Jin Wan…

After a few minutes, Jin Wan pulled away from the hug and wiped his tears away.

“Thanks Ji Yeon ah. And sorry for wetting your shirt…” he said in a small voice.

“It’s okay. This is what best friends are for, right?” you grinned and ruffled his hair. Jin Wan nodded and smiled back. “I hope you’re feeling better now.”

Eonjengan i nunmuri meomchugil~Jin Wan’s phone rang suddenly.

“Yoboseyo?” Jin Wan answered.

“JIN WAN!!!! What’s taking you so long?! Did you see Ji Yeon? I couldn’t call her cos she didn’t bring her phone along with her!” Jason shouted on the other line, so loudly that even you could hear him. Jin Wan pulled his phone away from his ear, rubbing his poor ear.

“Yes, hyung. She’s here with me…” Jin Wan replied.

“Thank god.” He whispered. “Wait, what are you guys doing together?! I thought both of you went to the toilet?!” Jason yelled again.

“Uh…” Jin Wan stared you, not knowing what to reply.

“Aish forget it! So are you guys coming back?! The food is all cold now!”

“Uh yes hyung. We are coming back now.” Jin Wan hung up.

“What did he say?” you asked.

“He told us to go back.”

“Oh, I forgot about our food. Okay let’s go back then.” You smiled and walked back to the restaurant with him.

When you reached your table, you sat down at your place beside Hyun Jin. Surprisingly, he did not even look up at you or ask where you went. He just kept eating…