Apart

Bad Girl, Good Girl

It’s been a while since they saw each other. The weather had gone colder and winter had just started. The two had become yesterday’s topic as they kept moving on with their lives. Although everyone still thought that they were a blissful couple because of the new image they had set during that summer. They were caught by netizens going on a midnight shopping, seen at a couple of restaurants together and also seen coming in and out of Jaejoong’s condo which proved that the couple was really together. But that was before their last encounter that night a few months ago. However, a few only knew the complicated story they had.

Jaejoong was quietly sitting in the waiting room while his makeup artist prepared him for the photo-shoot. “Oppa, I heard you were nominated for the Daesang awards.” his makeup artist said.

“Yeah.” He answered with a low voice.

“Congratulations!” she continued.

“Thank you.” He politely answered.

Jaejoong laid his head back wanting to fall asleep but then an image of Jihyo comes into his head. He quickly flashes his eyes wide open. He took a deep sigh and grabbed his phone on the table. He saw a message and quickly opens to see that it was just from his mom. He did not know what he tried to expect, he felt a heavy feeling on his chest.

‘Sweetheart, it’s your fiancé’s brother’s birthday. We are invited to their house this evening. Your hyung will be there too.  I’m sure Jihyo already told you, make sure to bring something nice.’

He was hesitant to appear in front of Jihyo after their last encounter. He was ashamed of what he had done and but then he did not deny about missing her. Time has passed but nothing seems to be getting better with his perplexed feelings.

-

Meanwhile, Jihyo sat inside a café. Anxiously waiting for someone to come, she fixed her hair and straightened her clothes. She wanted to look perfect and presentable for this person. “Uhm… Hello.” An awkward short greeting was heard from the person she waited for.

“Yoona-shi, how are you?” she greeted the young lady before her. “Please sit down.” She insisted.

Yoona felt nervous and confused. It was unusual for her boss to call her out to a place like this, also knowing that she is engaged to her ex-boyfriend. “I’m sorry to call you out here.” Jihyo said. “I actually have to talk to you.” The rumors about Jihyo being an ill-mannered rich lady suddenly seemed controversial to Yoona.

“About?”

Jihyo took a deep breath before opening . “I am aware that you were once associated with Jaejoong before.” She said, “I don’t have anything against you or about your relationship. But it has been bothering me.” She continued.

“But?” Yoona was confused as she raised her eyebrows.

“I love that man. But sometimes I feel that he still has his mind on you.” Jihyo said. It was blunt making Yoona stagger back.

“I’m sorry, we had broken up a while ago. I don’t think it’ll be fine to bring this conversation up.” Yoona inserted.

“That man is an idiot. He does not know his own feelings and nor do I. He’s having a hard time. I know. It’s not like we are kids or anything. But I’m here to tell you that I’m breaking off our engagement.” Jihyo said.

Yoona was stunned about the sudden announcement, “What?”

Jihyo kept a stern look on her face. “We are not ready, and we are going way to ahead of ourselves.”

“Why are you doing this? Does he know?” Yoona asked.

Yoona’s face was also unreadable. Jihyo did not know whether it was good news or the other. “He does not know.”

“Then what about him? Did you guys decide this?”

Jihyo forced a smiled, “I’m giving him a chance.”

“What? I don’t understand why you’re doing this.” Yoona exclaimed. “I think this is unnecessary.”

“In a couple of days this will be on the news. By that time it will get a bit noisy.” Yoona felt flustered about the sudden news. Her pupils dilated and her eyes were unfocused. “Protect him during that time.” A sudden spark on Jihyo’s heart rose her heartbeat. She always thought about having that one sided feeling towards Jaejoong, and this time she made a rash decision, whether it was best for the both of them.

Jihyo got up from her seat, “I’ll be going now, take care.” She said while leaving Yoona lost in her own dilemma.

-

While taking a stroll on the cold sidewalk, Jihyo thought deeply. There was still snow piled up on the sidewalk, the wind was cold but the sun was out. Although it was freezing, the air felt fresh. She had not gotten enough sunlight for the past couple of days. The past couple few months was all about work and anything that kept her busy. However, she thought about what was best for her and her heart.

She dazed a couple of times still thinking about what she needed to do. Memories from the past kept dwelled through her eyes. Images and moments flashed through her head. Usually it was about his smiles and that one last kiss. She sighed and whispered, “That was just temporary… It’ll all be finished soon.” She consoled herself until she noticed that she stopped in front of a bakery. Through the window she saw different pastries and cakes. The decorations where very pretty and she started to crave for a bite. She took a deep breath and forced a smile on her face. She went into the bakery store while scanning for the perfect cake in the display counter.

Finally she found the perfect one with strawberries on top. “Excuse me, can I please have this one?” she called out. “Also please write this on top.” She said with an embarrassed smile on her face.

‘Happy Birthday Jongki-ah, I love you! –Noona—‘ she wrote and passes it to the lady.

-

Meanwhile, Jaejoong sat in his car while looking at the Song’s residence. He sees that his family must’ve already arrived seeing a couple of cars parked on the driveway. He hesitated to go in but he had no choice but to step out of the car with a paper bag and flowers on his hand. He walked up the steps and entered while a maid greeted him and insisted to take off his coat and taking the burden of caring the stuff he brought for the party.

“No, it’s okay. I’ll take care of these.” He said. “Thank you anyway.” The maid agreed then retreats to assist other guest.

He forwards into the large house to see that there was a small gathering of his family and close family friends. The fireplace was lit while hot chocolate, wine and appetizers where handed out by the maids. There where children running around while hired musicians played out their holiday music. It had a Christmas vibe in the house. It also had been so long since he attended these sorts of parties.

The Songs where there but he did not see the one he was looking forward to see. “Sweetheart!” he heard his mother calling out loud. Everyone’s attention turned towards him. All the adults seemed pleased to see his presence in the party.

Jaejoong forced a smile and walked towards his mother, “My son seems really tired.” She said while locking her hand around his arm.

“I just came from work.” He said assuring her. “These flowers are for Madame Song.” He said while handing the flower to a maid who appeared out of nowhere.

“I thought you’d come with Jihyo.” She said.

He could not respond to his mother until they were interrupted by the JongKi. “Hyung, you’re here.” Jihyo’s younger brother had an unpleasant look on his face. He still seems to disapprove on his sister getting married to a celebrity.

“Oh, Jongki-ah, this is for you. I hope you’d like it.” He said passing the paper bag to him.

“Oh… thank you.” Jongki responded while taking the bag.

“And of course, happy birthday.” He said.

“Thank you again. But where is my sister?” Jongki asked until both of them heard a child giggling and a familiar laughter coming.

Right there, Jihyo appeared with a lovely smile while her face. The moments seemed to slow down with his heart skipping a beat. He spots Jihyo holding the hand of a familiar little boy and with another familiar man next to her. He got a closer look to see that it was his older brother Jongkook with his son Donghoon. “Ajumma do that again!” Donghoon insisted out loud.

Jongkook and Jihyo swung the boy through the air while he giggled out in excitement. Meanwhile, Jongki observed that moment. He sees Jaejoong’s eyes focused on the three. He saw a lot of emotion and it didn’t seem too pleasant. For a moment he saw his face brighten when Jihyo appeared until it changed when the ex was also present during that time.

“Donghoon-ah, I told you I’m not an ajumma.” Jihyo whined. Just then Jongkook saw his family in the room.

“Umma!” Jongkook called out while heading towards his family. Jihyo was stunned by Jaejoong’s presence. She was surprised that he had his eyes focused on her. “Jaejoong-ah, you’re here too?” Jongkook gave his brother a big hug. “Yah, I missed you.” he said.

Just then he also noticed the unexplainable look and aura around his brother. Then he returned his attention to Jihyo who had the same look and aura that his brother had. “Is something going on between the two of you?” Jongkook directly asked his brother.

Jihyo then had to act like everything is fine so she walked towards Jongki. “I brought the cake as I promised.” She said greeting her younger brother.

“Thank you noona!” he said.

“It’s strawberry flavored.” She smiled while locking her arms around her brothers. “Where’s mom and dad?” she asked.

“With the other guest.”

-

The night went on, Jaejoong and Jihyo had not said a word to one another. They seemed to avoid each other’s presence, until Jihyo suddenly disappears from the party. Jaejoong kept his eye out for her until he noticed a familiar figure through the large glass windows. A woman stood at the terrace and he knew it had to be her. He removed his sweater and headed towards her direction. With only his button up shirt on, he started to shiver as soon as he opened the doors at the terrace.

Jihyo noticed him and turns around to have an eye contact with him, “H-Here, wear this.” He insisted while tossing his sweater to her. Just then he noticed that she had been drinking seeing that she is drinking the whole bottle of champagne. “Y-Yah, are you drinking again?” he felt agitated seeing her habits with drinking.

“Is this supposed to manners?” she asked with sarcasm while holding his sweater.

“If you don’t want it, then come inside because I still need that sweater.”

“I’ll keep it.” She said slipping it on. She did not want to think about his situation. She felt somehow excited to wear the clothing of the man she adored. “Feels warmer…” she said. “Do you want some?” pointing to the bottle of champagne beside her.

“I’m good, I have to drive. But slow down on that.”

“Okay.” she says while putting her head down. “I have something to say by the way…”

A sudden stern expression came up on Jaejoong’s face. “W-What is it?” he asked.

“I missed you.”

It left him speechless, ‘If you missed me, you would have called at least called me one the past few months.”

“I did not know what to say.”

“I did too…”

“I mis—“

Before he could finish he was cut off when she suddenly spoke out, “I’ve started to think about what I needed to do. Also about what might be best for both us.” She turned her gaze away and smirked. “I must be seriously crazy.”

“Thought about what?”

“Us… I mean it’s about time we stop playing this game.” She said.

“What?”

“Marriage, and life. It’s time we stop pretending. So, Iet’s end this.” She says with no doubt. Jaejong stood there speechless. A moment ago, she admitted to missing him and the next moment she seemed to just want to break up. “It already went wrong when I actually thought I started to fall for you. That was the wrong part. Our time apart also made me think that this isn’t what I need. I’ve sorted things out and it seemed best if we go back to the way we were before all this happened.”

“Oh… alright I get it…” Jaejoong stepped back, he turned around with a blank look.

Jihyo assumed that she conveyed her message perfectly to him but his face expression didn’t seem to show that he did. She stepped forward to him but he had already turned around retreating inside the house. “Jaejoong-ah…” her strength disappeared. She laid her back to the wall and thought deeply. Right there, she also saw Jaejoong’s car leaving the driveway. She noticed that he seemed to be in a hurry to leave. “Did I do it right?” she whispered.

Right about then, Jongki came rushing in the terrace. “Noona, Jaejoong-hyung just left like that?”

Jihyo was speechless, then she smelled Jaejoong’s scent lingering around her. Then she noticed that she still had his sweater on. She wrapped herself around her own arms while taking a deep breath, savoring the smell lingering around her. “Jongki-ah… I must really like him…” tears suddenly dropped from her eyes directly to his sweater.

“Noona…”

“I have officially gone crazy.” She said while covering her eyes between her strong sobs.

“So much for a happy birthday…” Jongki said while giving his sister comfort by lending his shoulder out to cry on.

-

While driving through the streets, Jaejoong found himself speeding up a little through the road. Her words started to echo again like that night months ago. She’s the only woman he ever met who made her speechless. It seemed that whenever he was around her, words were not enough to make her understand how he felt. It was the perfect moment when they shared that passionate kiss, however he forgot an important detail that time. He had forgotten that he had started to adore her, love her, and care for her. But after that, all he could think about was his feelings. Also unsettled feelings of the past which made it difficult for him to tell her how he truly felt.

He felt his heart wanting to explode but before he lost his mind, he stopped by a corner and took a deep breath while gripping tightly on to the steering wheel. “What do you want me to do?” she said while he laid his head back.

Right about then, he heard his phone ringing in his pocket. He took it out to see an unexpected caller, “Yoona”

He answered the phone, “Hello?”

“Oppa, are you busy?” she asked.

“What is it all of a sudden?” he asked.

“I have to talk to you…” she said.

“Oh… I can’t today. What about tomorrow?”

“Okay, let’s meet tomorrow.”

-

A/N:

Sorry for not updating for so long. Thank you for reading! 

Here's the second to the last chapter. :)