To Apologize

Bad Girl, Good Girl

“Where are we going?”

“I don’t know, let’s just get out of here.”

“Sorry…”

There she was again, she apologed, but then he couldn’t say that it didn’t really matter to him. Yes, it did not matter.  If her feelings for him were true, things are going to become more complicated from now on. But then when he saw the look on her face, his judgment of her changed. She was ashamed. Little by little he tried understanding her.

They drove endlessly towards south of Seoul, at the same time they tried to figure out what to do after the outbreak. They took a drive near the sea. Jihyo looked out of her window, before she knew it Jaejoong opened the windows and the loud sound of the wind with the scent of the sea became alluring. The wind became louder than their thoughts so it became their getaway.

It was almost evening, they stopped by a motel to take a rest. “Excuse me, do you have a medical kit?” Jaejoong asked after he received his room keys. The lady took out the medical kit and passes it to him. “Take a shower first, then apply medicine.” He says to Jihyo beside him.

-

The two sat at the terrace while enjoying the sea breeze, but they knew that it was not time to relax, “Should I just admit that it was a mistake and I was drunk?” Jihyo asked.

Jaejoong kept silent, he knew that it wouldn’t be that easy. The media could make up any story, and the truth wouldn’t even matter. “How about this, we can just say that we have been dating.” He said.

Jihyo lost her breath for a second, “I don’t want to!”

“Celebrities date, then break up after a few months.” He says, “I have a career I want to save.”

“Don’t you think our parents would be too happy about that. They might even want us to get married.” She argued.

“We already did this before, we can just say that we aren’t really meant for each other.” He grabbed his drink then looks at her, “I think we can just do that.”

Jihyo had no other choice but to agree, “Alright do that. I’m going in to sleep.” She got up and went inside.

-

The next day, it was already afternoon that Jihyo heard the sound of the TV. It was the news about her relationship with Jaejoong. There was a press conference being held at Jaejoong’s agency. “Kim Jaejoong-shi, are you really dating Chairman Song’s daughter Song Jihyo?”

Jaejoong kept a firm posture while sitting in front of the reporters. “Yes, we have been dating for a while.” Everyone had gasped.

“Is there any thoughts of marriage?”

“As of right now, no.”

Jihyo got up from bed then turned off the TV before she could hear anything else. She did not even realize that Jaejoong had already left, she hurried and got dressed. When she left the motel she saw that there was a driver outside waiting to give her a drive back to Seoul.

-

After Jaejoong’s press conference, the two had been scheduled to have a star interview together at a café. “I don’t like all these cameras on me.” Jihyo was getting annoyed. People were taking photographs while taking videos of her. Jaejoong stood beside her while he kept smiling.

“Just bear with it.” He said, “All you have to do is look pretty and answer questions that you reviewed.”

They were asked to sit down with a reporter, so far Jaejoong has been answering all the questions. Jihyo’s mind became blank because she was too nervous about the situation but just then, “Song Jihyo-shi, when was the first time you met your boyfriend and what was your first impression of him?” the reporter asked.

Jihyo knew what to answer because she already reviewed the questions that the reporter was going to ask. “Oh… I met him when I was in high school, he came to my graduation. At that time, I just thought about him as my cute little dongsaeng. His older brother was my classmate.” She said.

“So you went to school with Kim Jongkook too? How was he back in high school?”

“Jongkook-oppa was really smart, he’s still the same as he was before. He did not really change.” Jihyo kept nodding her head. She was really nervous, Jaejoong notices it so he place his hand on top of Jihyo’s. The reporter giggled at their display of affection.

Jihyo looks at Jaejoong and calms down, “Kim Jaejoong-shi, how do you feel that your girlfriend is one of the most promising business women here in Korea? Do you feel that it can be difficult for you?” she asked.

He then thought then looks at Jihyo, “Well, I never thought of it that way. She’s a really smart woman, and that’s her charm. She’s not afraid of anything and she’s really honest, but there are times when she makes mistakes and does not admit it. I understand that part of her, because in then end she’s a bit naïve with making relationships.” Jihyo looks at Jaejoong so intently. A smile came out from her face, her heart started beating again. She knew that he did not really have to say that much about her and knowing that he thinks of her that way made her happy.

“You must really cherish your girlfriend.” The reporter complemented, “When was the first time you started liking Song Jihyo?” she asked.

Jaejoong paused for a moment, he forgot that there was going to be a question like this but then he thought anyways. “That was when I was in high school. She was already in college, at that time she was learning Judo with Jongkook hyung. She’s really good at fighting. I thought, ‘Wow, she can fight and still look beautiful at the same time.’” He said giggling. Jihyo was shocked when she heard it from him, “There was a time that she was mad, she tripped me and I fell on the floor. She laid on top of me, and that when I knew I liked her.”

The reporter blushed as she imagined that moment, “I’m starting to feel jealous, I think I should learn to judo.”

The interview continued, but then Jihyo kept thinking about what Jaejoong said. She did not remember tackling him on the floor.

-

The day was long, Jaejoong was exhausted. As soon as he entered his room, he dropped down on his bed. He leaned on his pillow then started thinking about what he said at the interview. “Ugh, why did I say that…” he place his arm over his head.

Flashback

It was Jihyo’s 20th birthday, Jaejoong felt bored being surrounded by adults and stuck up rich people. He did not like having any company around him. He tried to find his older brother so that they could have a drink together. He wondered around the Song’s residence until he found his older brother standing near the garage.  He was about go towards him until he saw that he was with Jihyo. He stopped then hid at the corner. “Why am I hiding?” he asked himself, he was about to leave when he heard them talk.

“Is this why you’ve changed so much? Jihyo-ah, don’t be like this.” Jongkook was holding her hand.

Jihyo was being rude, she tried shoving Jongkook off. “What do you know about me oppa? You don’t know anything!” she yelled.

“Stop it! You know you are the only one hurting yourself! It doesn’t have to be like this!” he told her.

“Just mind your own business!”

Jihyo pushed him with all her strength, but he embraced her. He held her tightly in his arms until she lost her strength to resist. “You know that I like you so much, but you keep hurting me like this. I’ll never let go.”

Jihyo wanted to cry and just lean on him like that, “But I don’t like you. I never liked you oppa. I must have thought I did but I don’t need you.” She says cold heartedly, “I’m tired of you clinging on to me like this. I find you burdensome.” She continued.

Jongkook lost his strength to hold on to her. He became silent, Jihyo was finally able to get out of his grasp. She looks at him and saw the pain in his eyes. She couldn’t help but feel worst. She turned around and left him there.

Meanwhile, Jaejoong ran to follow Jihyo. He didn’t know why he did that but he was angry at her. They were near the field at the Song’s residence. Jihyo just kept walking until Jaejoong was about to finally catch up to her. He pulled her arm to make her turn towards him, “Yah! You bad woman! My hyung likes you this much and this is how you treat him?!”

“Let me go!” she insisted while wriggling her hand away from him.

“Apologize to him!” he yelled at her.

“No!”

“Tell him you're sorry!”

“No! Get off!”

Jaejoong would not let go, so she had no choice but to tackle him down on the grass. He fell unbalanced, while he laid there with her on top of him. “Go away.” She said on his face, their faces where inches away from each other.

She was about to get up but he still held on to her, “No! Apologize to hyung!”

“I said no!” Jihyo tried to get off but Jaejoong kept holding on. “Let me go!” she kept insisting. Minutes passed, Jaejoong still did not let go. Finally Jihyo got tired, she stopped resisting. She was too tired to even lean on her arms on the ground, she lost her strength and fell on top of Jaejoong. Her head was just under his chin, while she laid there breathing heavily. At that time, she just lost her energy. She thought about the feelings that she hurt. It was difficult for her to handle because she did not know the right thing to do. She felt a part of her change, but it was realization that changed her.

He slowly lets her go but then she did not stand up, she just continued to lie on his chest until he felt something wet on his shirt. She was there crying, she started trembling while tears kept falling. He wanted to call her name but then he left her there to cry. He places his hand on her back while patting it. More time passed, until Jihyo finally calmed down. She was about to get up when their eyes met again.

Jaejoong saw that her tears had smeared her makeup, “You look really ugly.” He said.

Jihyo giggled a little, then that moment when he held her in his arms, and that smile that she had on her face after crying still looked beautiful to him. That’s when he knew that he had that one sided-love for his brother’s girl.