Joah

Verse

 

Taeyeon locked herself in her room after getting back from the recording studio. She was exhausted. They’ve been working non-stop and the only rest they get is when they eat or sleep which doesn’t even last for more than three hours.

 

She opened Skype through her phone and invited Jessica for a video call which the latter accepted.

 

Jessica was going to complain about Taeyeon not contacting her for days again but changed her mind when she saw her droopy eyes.

 

“Whoa, you look like a zombie.”

 

“You still look pretty.”

 

Jessica cursed in her mind but mumbled a “Thank you.”

 

“So why’d you decide to call me instead of just getting some rest. You obviously need it.”

 

Taeyeon’s eyes were barely even opened now but she still understood what Jessica said and she could still come up with a response. “I wanted to see you and hear your voice.”

 

“Now you’re just sweet talking. Stop it.”

 

“I’m...I’m not.” Her eyes struggled to open as she spoke.

 

Jessica giggled at the sight. “Go to sleep, Taeyeon.”

 

“I’m not sleepy yet.”

 

“Yes, you are. Your eyes aren’t even open now.”

 

Jessica stifled a laugh when she saw Taeyeon yawning, trying very hard to keep an eye open. “You know who I would never date even if you pay a million dollars to date them?” she said so suddenly.

 

“Who?”

 

“A doctor.”

 

Jessica arched a brow. “Why? Because they’re always busy.”

 

“No, I honestly don’t mind if I date someone who’s always busy because I’m always busy, too.”

 

“So why wouldn’t you date a doctor ever?”

 

“Because they give you weird compliments.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yeah, the other day I,” another yawn, “I went to have a check up and they were like, ‘Her anatomy is great’ and ‘The color of her blood is nice.’ They are so weird.”

 

This made Jessica laugh. She has experienced going to a doctor and hearing those things.

 

“You know I would love to date though?”

 

“Humour me,” Jessica responded seeing as to Taeyeon was saying random things to keep herself awake. Why she was doing it, she wasn’t sure.

 

“Someone who likes me and someone who I like back.”

 

To this Jessica laughed. “No .”

 

Taeyeon smiled and said, “Hey, I made you laugh again. Why are you even so stoic anyways? You look better when you show different expressions.”

 

“I’m lazy as hell to do that.”

 

“Come on, there’s got to be more than that.”

 

“Fine. I show these expressions to the people I care about only. I want them to feel special.”

 

Taeyeon smiled like an idiot. “I’m feeling precious now.”

 

“Who the said I care about you?”

 

“You kind of did.”

 

“You’re being delusional.”

 

Taeyeon didn’t answer. She has already fallen asleep and Jessica checked the time. It was already 3 am in Seoul. She shook her head at the sleeping girl who had partly opened. Her eyes weren’t fully closed and it freaked her out a bit.

 

“Good night, idiot.” She ended the call but not before doing something first. She giggled and ended the call before starting to do the errands that her boss sent her earlier that day.

 

 

---

 

 

I woke up and felt the waist that was draped over my waist. I checked my phone first when I remembered that I slept so sudden and I didn’t even had the chance to properly end the video call with Jessica. She must’ve ended it.

 

I looked over my shoulders and saw my sister’s peaceful sleeping face. It’s got me wondering why she slept here instead of her own room. Nevertheless, I slowly turned around and hugged her back. Her head tucked under my chin. It has been so long since I’ve hugged her like this. She’s grown so much.

 

Goddammit, she’s even taller than me now. I sighed, missing my little Yoongie. I sighed and it must’ve woke her up.

 

“Good morning, unnie.”

 

“Good morning. Why didn’t you sleep in your room?”

 

She checked the time and turned to me again. “I was waiting for you to arrive last night and then I got sleepy so I went to my room then I got up at around five in the morning and went here. I didn’t want to wake you up so I slept beside you instead.”

 

Something’s still fishy.

 

“I thought you were going to be with Fany.”

 

My sister sighed deeply and muttered, “We broke up yesterday.”

 

Oh, so that’s why.

 

“Why? Are you okay?”

 

“I’m alright. It was amicable. We figured we’re better off as friends.”

 

“So why are you still looking down if it was a clean break up?”

 

“I feel bad. Maybe we shouldn’t have gotten together, in the first place.”

 

I frowned seeing her like this. Even I am feeling bad.

 

“Come here, my little Yoongie.” She sniggered as she cuddled closer to me. I rubbed her back and said, “You want ice cream to make you feel better?” She whined. “I know you like it. Go change and we’ll get ice cream.”

 

“It’s eight in the morning, unnie. “

 

“I don’t care. My sister needs an ice cream to cheer her up so go change.” I grinned and pushed her off of my bed. I grabbed my phone and my purse before we went to the nearest ice cream parlour.

 

Yoona still looked down and she kept sighing so I sat beside her and wrapped an arm around her shoulder. “Oh come on, stop sulking. It was a mutual decision, wasn’t it?”

 

“Yeah but I still feel bad. It’s my fault for even trying to have a romantic relationship with her.”

 

“I’m sure she’ll move on and I bet she’s not even feeling half as bad as you are.” I smiled to reassure her.

 

 

---

 

 

Yuri stared at Tiffany from outside the bathroom as the girl puked her liver out. Right after she and Yoona decided that it was better for them to end things, Tiffany went out on a drinking binge.

 

Yuri got to the bar to pick her up and the taller girl was just in time to stop her from drink dialling her best friend and now here she was throwing up all the alcohol she consumed the previous night.

 

“Fany, sometimes you’re so stupid.”

 

Tiffany looked up from the sink and glare at her. “Shut up, Kwon.”

 

Yuri ignored her and continued, “If you didn’t want to break up with her then why would you agree that you guys were better off as friends?”

 

“If I didn’t agree and told her that I didn’t want us to part ways, do you honestly think she’ll change her mind about wanting to end things with me?”

 

“Oh my god, you could’ve been honest, at least. You know what,” she retrieved her phone from her pocket and looked for Yoona’s number, “I’ll tell it to her myself.”

 

Tiffany gasped. She couldn’t believe she was going to be betrayed like this. “Kwon Yuri, you cannot do that!”

 

“Why not? My best friend and I vowed not to keep any secrets from each other,” she said smugly.

 

“Oh yeah? Well, I guess I’m going to tell this person that you like them then.”

 

Yuri huffed. “You’re bluffing.”

 

Of course, Tiffany was bluffing but she had to say something to stop Yuri.

 

“Nope. It’s so obvious.”

 

Yuri was actually getting nervous thinking that she really knows who she likes. Meanwhile, Tiffany was trying her very best to make Yuri think that she really knows her secret.

 

She laughed when Yuri walked away and left her alone. She doesn’t know who Yuri likes but she’s more than curious now that she’s seen just how big of a secret it is for the girl.

 

Tiffany went to her room and lied down. She shouldn’t even be feeling this way. Their relationship wasn’t even that serious.

 

Her phone beeped signalling that there was a new message. She read it and shrugged. “Might as well mingle now that I’m single again.”

 

She texted a reply and stood up to get cleaned up.

 

 

---

 

 

“Unnie.”

 

Jessica looked up from her phone and saw her younger sister holding a baby. “Whose baby is that?”

 

“Mine. I gave birth an hour ago.” Jessica glared at her and she just grinned back. “This friend of a friend had a baby and now I’m baby-sitting.”

 

“Shouldn’t you be back at Boston? Are you skipping school again?”

 

“Term break, unnie.” She sat on the couch and played with the baby boy. “Say hi to the grumpy unnie, Lincoln.”

 

Jessica frowned. “Could he speak?”

 

“He says gagagugu all the time. I’m not sure if that means anything.”

 

“You’ve watched too many Rugrats episode.”

 

“Isn’t he cute though?” Krystal rubbed her nose with the baby’s and laughed. “Too bad his dad is freaking Lord Farquad. This kid’s going to have really short legs.”

 

Jessica took quite some time to figure out her sister’s reference and when she finally got it, she burst into fits of laughter. She didn’t get over it even when her sister has finally left.

 

Now that she was talking to Taeyeon on Skype again, she couldn’t help but compare the girl the animated character.

 

“Hi, Lord Farquad.”

 

Taeyeon creased her brows as she wondered who this Lord Farquad Jessica was speaking about. It was as if Jessica read her mind, the girl sent her a link and when she clicked on it, she immediately knew why Jessica called her that.

 

“You are not that taller either!”

 

“Yeah, but your legs are shorter, Lord Farquad. You know what, I’ll be changing your name from Taeyeon to Farquad.”

 

Taeyeon wanted to get offended but this was the happiest she’s seen Jessica ever since they’ve started talking to each other through video calls so she just sat there and pretended to be angry even though she was actually enjoying this.

 

When Taeyeon didn’t respond, Jessica got worried thinking that she’s really offended the girl.

 

“Far—Taengoo?”

 

Said girl got out of her daze and said, “You called me Taengoo.”

 

Jessica shrugged. “Your fans call you Taengoo. I’m a fan so...”

 

“I like it. Keep calling me that.” Taeyeon smiled and Jessica swore she was blushing again.

 

The younger girl cleared to mask her blush. “So...what’s up?”

 

“I’m not going to be as busy as I was these past couple of days which is good. I could spend more time with my sister and I could spend more time talking to you.”

 

“W-why would you spend your free time talking to me? I’m someone’s personal assistant and I’m pretty much irrelevant.”

 

Taeyeon had a lopsided grin on her face as she scratched her head. “Where did that come from? You’ve never talked to me that way before.”

 

“I’m just stating a fact.”

 

“You’re being ridiculous. You’re a friend of mine and you’re important. I like talking to you that’s why I’ll be spending my free time doing just that.”

 

“Who says we’re friends?”

 

“I did. Just now.” Taeyeon grinned and decided to change the topic instead. “My sister’s upset.”

 

“I don’t see why you’re telling me that but for the sake of keeping the conversation, I’ll ask why. Why?”

 

“She and her girlfriend broke up. She says it was a clean break up but she still feels bad.”

 

“Why did they break up?”

 

“Yoong says they were better off as friends and now she feels guilty. She thinks it’s better if they didn’t get in a romantic relationship in the first place.”

 

Jessica nodded in understanding. “I kind of understand where she’s coming from.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yeah. I’ve said the ‘we’re better off as friends’ line before.” Taeyeon convinced her to go into details about it. “He’s my last boyfriend. My dad really liked him for me but at that time I was already finding out about my preference for girls so I ended up dumping him. What made me feel worse was he took it really well. He didn’t even get angry at me.”

 

“Why would he be angry? You’re just trying to follow what your heart wants.”

 

She looked at Taeyeon who had a sincere smile etched on her face.

 

“Poor guy though. He was almost the luckiest guy on Earth.”

 

“You’re just a sweet talking midget, aren’t you?”

 

Taeyeon pursed her lips and pinched the bridge of her nose. “Why do you always think that? I’m just being honest. Have you looked at yourself in the mirror? You’re beyond gorgeous. Anyone who’s superficial would like you instantly. But you’re not just a pretty face. You’re quite the character too and I can say that even though I’ve only known you for a couple of months. What more if I get to know everything about you? I’ll probably fall head over heels for you.”

 

Jessica didn’t respond and the two ended up staring blankly at their phones’ screen. Seconds later, Jessica ended the video call leaving Taeyeon thinking that she said something wrong again.

 

While Taeyeon was pondering about the things that she blurted out, Jessica was holding both cheeks, feeling the warmth that it was giving off. She was in a daze but stuck on her face was a silly grin. Taeyeon words still ringing in her head. She wasn’t sure why the vocalist was making her stomach do backflips.

 

She tried to make herself believe that she was just being a real smooth-talker and she hated herself a bit for willingly holding onto her words.

 

_____

short and a sort of filler haha i just had to insert the yoonfany break up there

i love joah by jay park srsly