Girlfriend

Verse

 

It was the day of the press conference and the members of Na were waiting for it to begin. Leeteuk was briefing them but none of them really paid attention. Taeyeon kept glancing at Yunho. She was concerned for her band mate that was soon going to tell the media and their fans about what really happened. She doubted that Yunho was ready to be talking about personal things so soon but she trusts that she could handle it well.

 

A staff came in to tell them that everything was ready and the media’s waiting for them.

 

Taeyeon sat between Yunho and Leeteuk. Their manager said a few things before letting Yunho release his own statement about the matter. Everyone sat there and listened to his apology which s didn’t really think was necessary.

 

“I would like to apologize to the members of our band who unfortunately had to bear the consequence of my actions.”

 

Taeyeon mentally shook her head. He really didn’t have to apologize for that.

 

“I wasn’t aware of what she did for a living.” He paused when the people inside the hall voiced out their disbelief. “It’s up to you whether you want to believe me or not. You could take her word but do know that she’s more than capable of fooling people so if you want to believe her lies then that’s really up to you.”

 

Leeteuk was balling his fist. To him, it seemed like Yunho was trying to egg on the press people and ruin the band’s image even more so he tried to cut him off but Jaejoong didn’t give him that chance. “In line with this incident, we would like to inform everyone that we would be taking a short break to clear our heads off.” Jaejoong could see Leeteuk shaking in anger but he ignored him and looked at their company’s president for a sign of approval. He got one in the form of a small nod.

 

“You’re doing this in hopes of people forgetting this scandal, right?”

 

“If you’d like to put it that way then sure.”

 

“We’re also doing it so we could rest. A much needed rest is needed considering how busy we’ve been since we debuted,” Taeyeon added.

 

“Aren’t you afraid that if you pushed through with this hiatus and decided to make a comeback, people won’t care about you guys anymore? Your fans could leave you, you know that, don’t you?”

 

“We are confident that our fans started supporting us because of the music we make. If we continue doing that, then I don’t see a reason why they would leave us.”

 

The same media person who asked the question laughed obnoxiously. “That’s ridiculous. Your fans like you because you’re all good to look at.”

 

Kangin frowned and Taeyeon thought it was time to end this non-sense. “It’s nice to know that you think we’re hot, ahjusshi but our songs wouldn’t be requested on radios that much if they ony cared about our faces and not our songs.”

 

The chief operating officer of the agency spoke up in behalf of the president and officially ended the press conference.

 

 

---

 

 

“So that’s what happened.” Taeyeon just finished telling Jessica what went down earlier.

 

“So you’re really taking a break?” Taeyeon nodded. “What do you plan to do?”

 

“I don’t know. Stay at home and try to write new songs?”

 

“Really? That’s it?” Another nod. “Oh okay.”

 

“I could spend more time talking to you. Isn’t that great? Unless, you already got the job at that TV network.”

 

“About that, I didn’t get it. It just wasn’t for me...for now.”

 

Taeyeon laughed, admiring the girl’s determination. “We’re both bums now.”

 

Jessica wanted to ask her something but she wanted to do it as subtly as possible. “Don’t you have plans on going abroad so you could unwind?”

 

“I’ve always wanted to go anywhere in Europe.” Taeyeon saw Jessica’s lips pursing and she laughed inwnardly. She knew exactly what Jessica was trying to say but it just felt so damn good teasing her.

 

“That’s great. You should...totally do that.”

 

“You know what, I really should. I could go to London. That’s my dream destination”

 

“It’s always raining there. Weather’s really unpredictable.”

 

“Really? I really don’t mind but I guess I could just go to Paris.”

 

“You wouldn’t like it there so much. Parisians aren’t exactly hospitable. You’ll eventually get tired of the Eiffel Tower.”

 

“What about Santorini? I’ve seen pictures. It looks heavenly there and I heard the people are very nice and laid back.”

 

Jessica tried thinking of anything bad about the place and grinned when she thought of one. “If you go there and end up liking it too much, you might not want to come back to Seoul anymore.”

 

“Where do you suggest I go then?”

 

“I don’t know. That’s totally up to you.”

 

Taeyeon chuckled. “I’ll think about it real hard then.”

 

Jessica bit her lip. She was frustrated thinking that Taeyeon really had no clue what she’s hinting at. “Don’t think too much.” Taeyeon stifled a laugh.

 

Later that night, she looked at the available flights that were bound to LA and booked a flight that was leaving two days from now. Taeyeon didn’t have any problems telling her younger sister that she was going to take a short vacation abroad since she already knew that the band was going on a short hiatus.

 

She didn’t tell Jessica that she’s already booked a flight and even the hotel she was going to stay at was already settled. A day before her flight, she stopped herself from contacting Jessica hoping that her surprise would work.

 

Taeyeon thought it was a foolproof plan but when she got to the building where Jessica resides in, there was a small hitch.

 

“Excuse me, little Miss but people can’t go upstairs if they don’t have permission from the resident,” a tall guy with the nametag “Bernie” said, stopping her from making her way to the elevator.

 

“I am here...to visit Jessica Jung,” she said in English.

 

“I have to inform her that she has a visitor and confirm that you two are really acquainted.”

 

She barely got what he said but she knew what to say next. “No. I want to surprise her. I’m from Seoul, Korea. My name is Taeyeon Kim.”

 

Bernie looked at her suspiciously. She looked like a frail kid but he lives by the saying that looks can be deceiving. “Okay. I’ll let you go to her floor but I’ll call her within five minutes and if she doesn’t pick up, I’ll be calling the police.”

 

That she clearly understood. She got inside the elevator but the guy was still giving her the looks and truth be told, it scared her to the point that she almost forgot Jessica’s room number.

 

“418...418...A-ha!” She stood in front of room 418 and knocked. There was no response at all so she stood on her tippy toes to look at the peep hole and that’s when the door opened. She grinned awkwardly at the girl.

 

“Oh my god! Taeyeon!” Jessica leaped forward and enveloped the shorter girl in a tight hug. “I thought you died!”

 

“You always think that!”

 

“Shut up. It’s your fault.” Jessica broke away from the hug and stared at the now dazed Taeyeon. She flicked her forehead to wake her up from her reverie.

 

“Ouch!” Taeyeon rubbed the stinging spot on her forehead.

 

“You were zoning out.”

 

“You hugged me.”

 

“I did. I was making up for the time that I didn’t get to hug you when we first met since you didn’t bother telling me you were KIM TAEYEON!”

 

Taeyeon was going to retort back but Jessica’s phone suddenly rang. “You better answer that if you don’t want the SWAT team bursting in your windows.”

 

The girl frowned in confusion and was going to answer it but she held Taeyeon’s hand first and pulled her inside her apartment. Taeyeon kept her gaze on the floor to hide her grin and her blushing cheeks.

 

“I’m fine, Bernie. Yes, I know her. Alright. Bye.” She looked at Taeyeon and chuckled. “Made a new friend, I see.”

 

“Your doorman’s scary.”

 

“he’s just doing his job,” she said, sitting down beside Taeyeon.

 

“Taking care of the pharmaceutical heiress? Must be nice living like a princess.”

 

“It is until you hear people saying you only get by in life because of your parents’ money.”

 

“Why does it matter what those people say? You know it’s not true and you’re talented and I bet you’re better than—“

 

“Enough with the compliments. Why didn’t you tell me you were coming, you ?”

 

“Language please and to answer your question, I wanted to surprise you.”

 

“That conversation the other day?”

 

“I totally knew what you wanted to say.”

 

Jessica wanted to slap herself senseless. How could she have been so clueless? “When did you even get here?”

 

“Five hours ago.”

 

Jessica nodded, she wasn’t trying to hide her grin. She’s just really happy that Taeyeon was in front of her. “I’m glad you’re here.”

 

Taeyeon smiled back at her and hesitantly held her hand. She wasn’t sure how the girl would react to it. “So remember when I told you that one of these days I’ll be able to ask you out on a date? That’s the first thing I want to do now that I’m here.” Her hold on Jessica’s hand tightened. “Do you want to go out on a date with me?”

 

“Right now? I haven’t even taken a bath yet.”

 

“But you smell so good,” Taeyeon mumbled. “It’s alright. I’ll wait for you to get ready.”

 

“It takes me an hour to get ready.”

 

“It’s okay. Go.”

 

Taeyeon had to wait for Jessica. The girl lied. It didn’t take her an hour to get ready. It took her two hours. Taeyeon felt like she’s been gone for days.

 

“I’m ready. Let’s go.”

 

“We’re going out on a date. Not a ball with the queen. Why did you take that long?”

 

“What? You don’t take that long to get ready?”

 

“It takes me ten minutes to take a bath, five to get dressed and three to fix my hair and make-up.”

 

Jessica checked the time. She went in at 10 and got out of her room past noon. “I just wanted to look good. Now, let’s go eat lunch.”

 

 

---

 

 

Jessica suggested a place for them to eat lunch at. Taeyeon didn’t agree at first but later relented. They were waiting for their food and although Taeyon didn’t mind staring at Jessica the whole day, she’d rather have a conversation with her.

 

“Wow! This is exactly how I imagined our first date would be like.”

 

Jessica looked up from the fork she’d been intently gawking at to the midget that was smiling gleefully. “Ha...ha...very funny.”

 

Taeyeon giggled and grabbed the spoon and fork with both hands. “It really would be nice if we use this time to talk.”

 

“We always talk though.”

 

“But isn’t it nicer to talk like this?”

 

“While you look like you’re ready to devour anything in your way?” Jessica laughed at the frowning girl. “I’m kidding but fine, if you really want to talk then go ahead and ask me the question that you wanted to ask me.”

 

“You still remember that?”

 

“Of course. I have superior memory.” She pointed to her temple and winked. That put Taeyeon in a daze and for a moment, she felt like the world went in slow-mo. Like the ones that happen on movies and TV ads.

 

Taeyeon shook her head. Their food came and when she was about to take a bite, Jessica’s hand stopped her. “What’s the question?”

 

“Can’t I tell you later? I’m hungry. You made me wait for two hours.”

 

“You said it was fine.”

 

“I said it was fine to wait for you for an hour.”

 

Jessica let go of her hand and let her eat in peace. She joined her and listened to the dorky girl’s stories about her flight.

 

“So this guy kept saying ‘dude’ and he kept flipping his hair.”

 

Jessica giggled for no reason and Taeyeon creased her brows. She didn’t even say anything funny. Next thing she knows, Jessica’s hand was holding hers.

 

“Why—“

 

“No reason.”

 

Taeyeon stopped talking and continued eating using her free hand. The girl sitting in front of her was running her thumb over her knuckles.

 

When they finished eating, Jessica took her card out and paid for their meal.

 

“Let’s eat ice cream. I’m paying.”

 

“Ice cream’s gonna make me fat. Can’t we do something else like I dunno...telling me what the question is? Jessica pulled Taeyeon by the hand and they walked towards the beach. “Tell me now.”

 

“Why are you so impatient?”

 

“You got me all curious.”

 

“Okay.” Taeyeon halted which made her stop walking as well. “If Superman was real, would he be able to  move Seoul closer to LA?” Jessica was about to hit her arm but turns out Taeyeon wasn’t finished yet. “Because I would really like to be closer to where you are.”

 

“Damn you! Cheesy motherfu—“

 

“Stop cussing.”

 

Jessica rolled her eyes. “I don’t think Superman would do that even if he could. Wouldn’t that be like an artificial earthquake? Didn’t you know about Pangaea? The world was one big mass of land before but because of the earthquakes it—“

 

“Could you be my girlfriend then?”

 

 

Jessica was rudely interrupted but she didn’t mind. “Are you serious?”

 

“Yeah but feel free to say no if—“

 

“No.”

 

“That was...a little too quick.”

 

“No. I mean, no I’m not going to say no. Why would I do that?”

 

“Because we don’t know each other that well and maybe we’re going too fast or because I have absolutely no idea what dating someone means. Much less dating someone exclusively which is what I want for us to do.”

 

Jessica laughed, covering with one hand and the other landing on top of Taeyeon’s head. “You’re cute and yes, I could be your girlfriend. I’d like for us to see each other exclusively.”

 

“Really?” Jessica nodded. “Uh, what should I do now? Should I hug you? Give you flowers?” Jessica was the one to hug her first and she didn’t hesitate hugging her back. “Seriously though I feel like I should be giving you flowers.”

 

Taeyeon ended up giving Jessica a flower that she picked from a plant on their way back to Jessica’s place.

 

“Do you want to come up?”

 

“I’d love to but I’m really tired and I’m not ready for you to see me drooling.”

 

The younger girl laughed. “I’ve seen you drooling.”

 

Taeyeon pouted, embarrassed about her drooling habit. “Not in person. Besides, I’m still scared of Bernie. Let me get used to him first before you invite me to you place again.”

 

“I could drop you off to the hotel you’re staying at.”

 

“It’s okay. I’ll take a cab.”

 

“Okay.”

 

Taeyeon waved goodbye to her but Jessica, being the bolder one, placed a chaste kiss on the older girl’s cheek. She placed a finger on her lips. She honestly felt like a teenager giving her first love a kiss on the cheeks.

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow. Rest well and thanks  for the stolen flower.” She went inside the building and once she was out of sight, Taeyeon bellowed, “Oh my god! She kissed me!”

 

A little girl holding her mother’s hand passed by and they looked at her weirdly. She bowed and muttered an apology before hailing a cab.

 

 

---

 

 

“I didn’t agree to stay at home just so you could watch ‘The Walking Dead.’ Change the channel now!” Jessica tried to snatch away the remote control from Taeyeon but the midget just wouldn’t relent.

 

“Why don’t you like watching it? It’s fun.”

 

“Seeing gross things is what fun means to you?”

 

“Yes! Oh look, a decomposing body. Man, their special effects are great. Top notch!”

 

“That’s gross and scary! Change it!” Taeyeon sighed and changed the channel.

 

“There’s nothing else good on TV.”

 

Jessica then looked at Taeyeon and pointed an accusing finger to the girl. “You’ve been watching that for half an hour and it wasn’t subbed in Korean nor did it have any Korean subtitles! You were just watching it for those disgusting zombies, weren’t you?”

 

Taeyeon guffawed. “Who watches it for the drama? Of course, I was watching it to see them kill the zombies.”

 

Jessica simply shook her head and stood up to get something to eat. She was slicing an apple when she heard Taeyeon calling her. “Sica, someone’s calling you.”

 

“Who is it?”

 

“Soo...Sooyoung.”

 

Jessica placed the sliced apple on a bowl and walked towards the couch to retrieve her phone. She answered the call only to get her ears blown off by her cousin’s voice.

 

“I have finally gotten my license to pull people’s tooth out.”

 

“Good for you, Soo.”

 

“This is a cause for a celebration! You should come to Seoul and bring Krystal with you. I miss that little booger.”

 

“Can’t. I’m sort of busy,”  she looked at Taeyeon who was trying to place two slices of apple inside , “Krystal’s spending time with Key.”

 

“Boo, you !”

 

“I love the reference. Too bad it doesn’t fit.”

 

“Whatever. What are you even busy about? Don’t answer work. I will personally fly to Seoul and slap you.”

 

Jessica chuckled and said, “It’s not work.”

 

“Really? Well, it’s pointless asking what it is, isn’t it?”

 

“You know me too well.”

 

“Yeah, yeah, you party pooper! I suppose I could just hang out with Sunny’s cousin.”

 

“Seohyun? You know I’m not going to tell Hyo to stop Sunny if you try to mess with her cousin.”

 

“That munchkin’s all talk. How could she hurt me when she can’t even reach the top of my head?”

 

“By the way, how are they? Last time I checked on Hyo, they were still fighting.”

 

“Sica, they always fight. They always argue about petty things. Much like their height.”

 

“Stop making fun of the danshins.” Taeyeon looked up, holding a confused gaze which made Jessica giggle.

 

“Sure, I’ll go now. I still have to beg appa to let me work in his clinic so I could save for my own.”

 

“Alright. Say hi to uncle for me.”

 

“Will do. Bye.”

 

Jessica hung up and sat beside Taeyeon once again. “Who was that?”

 

“My cousin, Sooyoung. Don’t worry, you’ll meet her eventually.”

 

“What?”

 

“What do you mean what? You’re my girlfriend now. I’m going to have to introduce you to the people that are close to me.”

 

Taeyeon swallowed the rest of the apple that she was chewing. “Sica, can we...keep this a secret?”

 

The younger girl opened to say something but closed it again when she realized she didn’t really know how to respond to that.

 

“It’s not that I’m ashamed of you. I’m not. I shouldn’t be and if anything I should be telling everyone that I’m proud that you’re my girlfriend now—“

 

“So why can’t you?” The disappointment in Jessica’s eyes were evident

 

“The recent event with our band and all... Plus, I don’t want people bothering you.” Jessica didn’t respond. “Sica...I would gladly protect you from those people but—“

 

“I’m here and you’re thousands of miles away.”

 

Taeyeon nodded slightly. “And you know how it is back home. You’re not actually thrown confetti atif you come out and tell people you’re gay.”

 

“So I can’t tell even my sister or my best friend?” Jessica sighed.

 

“Would it be too much if I ask you that?”

 

She stared at Taeyeon and took notice of her expression. Either she’s a really good liar or she just has good intentions. “You’re not planning to make me one of your groupies, right?”

 

“Of course not! I’m not even quite sure what that means but it sounds bad.”

 

Jessica sighed for the nth time that day and mumbled, “I swear to god, I would’ve kicked you out if I didn’t like you a lot.”

 

____

should've been up last night 

Girlfriend by Jay Park i am seriously stanning him now

oh btw i've mentioned taec here and forgot that i've already included him in pre-chorus so i changed the one in pre-chorus to wooyoung because i have plans for taec's character (jessica's friend from boston here in verse)