말해봐 Talk Talk

Verse

“Taeng, are you listening?”

 

I glanced at Jungsoo-oppa through the rear view mirror and hummed a low yes. I was lying, of course. I couldn’t care less about the schedule. It’s not like we have a choice whether to attend or not.

 

Taeng: you’re right it’s tiring working for other people

Taeng: the only reason I’m doing all of these is because I actually like what I’m doing

Taeng: and besides it’s for my sister and I

Jess: I’m only working for lady darth vader because of her connections

Jess: I still have faith that this would pay off someday

Jess: I hope that someday comes sooner though

Jess: I hate working for her

 

I smiled as I read her latest reply. She never fails to mention how much she hated working for her boss.

 

Taeng: you could just work for me

Taeng: I have connections too

Jess: really?

Jess: you haven’t even told me what you do for a living

Taeng: I work in the entertainment industry

 

I sighed at the half truth. Why was it even so hard to tell this person that I’m Kim Taeyeon? Is it because I know she kind of likes me? I mean, she has told me plenty of times that she really likes my voice and my face. I probably should’ve told her the first time we’ve ever even talked.

 

Jess: maybe I should really quit and move to seoul to work for you

Taeng: why the heck not

Jess: lol nope

Jess: my life’s in LA

Jess: the only reason I would have for moving there is if someone swept me off my feet and ask me to move to seoul

Taeng: I guess I don’t have any other choice but to sweep you off your feet then

 

Did I really just say that?

 

Jess: are you trying to do what I think you’re trying to do?

Taeng: maybe

Taeng: I’m not sure

Jess: lmao

Jess: you shouldn’t even be wanting me to work for you

Jess: you see what I do when my boss lets me have a coffee break

Jess: I talk to some random person whom I’ve met online

Jess: that’s not what a good employee does

Taeng: I’m not going to guarantee that I’ll be a good boss so…

Taeng: is that fair enough?

Jess: that’s funny

Jess: gtg

Jess: talk to you later

Taeng: bye bye

 

I locked my phone and stashed it inside my bag. I rubbed my eyes and looked over to Yunho-oppa who was also busy texting.

 

I honestly get people’s fascination in talking now. It is fun. It makes me feel lighter for some odd reason. It makes me feel as if I’m not alone.

 

It’s weird that I find it more comfortable talking to a stranger than my band mates whom I’ve known for years. Maybe it’s because she has absolutely no idea who I am and she’s a thousand miles away.

 

“Can I go straight home after this?”

 

“You’re not going to go and celebrate with us?”

 

“I’m tired. I just wanna rest.”

 

But of course, that’s a lie. I’d probably stay up til the wee hours of the morning talking to Jessica. I wonder how she’d react once I’ve told her the truth.

 

 

---

 

 

“Taeyeon-unnie seems different.” Tiffany set her bowl down on the coffee table and sat beside Yoona.

 

“She does, doesn’t she? She wasn’t that into her phone before. I could put it inside the fridge and she wouldn’t notice it has gone missing.”

 

“Maybe she’s dating someone.”

 

“If she is then I’m happy for her.”

 

“Aren’t you going to be curious to know who she’s dating?”

 

“Unnie’s very secretive and I don’t really mind. She could tell me when she’s ready. I’m not as nosy as you are.” Yoona pinched Tiffany’s nose and grinned.

 

Tiffany elbowed her girlfriend and sat up properly when she saw Taeyeon walking by with her phone in hand. The older Kim had a small smile on her face as she was typing.

 

“Good evening, Taeyeon-unnie,” she greeted.

 

Taeyeon looked up and smiled, dimple showing. “Hi, Tiffany. Are you going to stay for the night?”

 

“I don’t think—“

 

“Of course, she is.” Yoona beamed.

 

“Alright. Well, have fun.”

 

Tiffany elbowed her again once Taeyeon was out of sight. “I didn’t bring any clothes.”

 

“You could wear mine. It’s not a big deal.” Yoona leaned back on the couch and added, “I don’t know what’s making her so much happier but I’m really liking my happy unnie.”

 

 

---

 

 

Jess: they’re going crazy because of the news. Have you heard?

Taeng: yeah

 

How can she have not? She was the first person to know about the invitation that they’ve got for the Kpop Convention in LA.

 

Taeng: are you going?

Jess: oh right I haven’t told you yet

Jess: my boss is going to host the event because a friend asked her as a favour

Jess: I knew about the event prior to even knowing them

Taeng: really?

Jess: yeah

Taeng: so you’re going to be there, right?

Jess: yes knowing my boss she’d probably want me to be there to be her translator

Jess: now that we’re talking about it

Jess: it feels kind of surreal now

Jess: I’d be able to meet them next month

Jess: that’s pretty cool

Jess: are they nice?

Taeng: they are

Jess: they’re not divas, are they?

Taeng: no they’re really nice

Jess: are you just saying that because you’re their fan?

 

Taeyeon started typing her reply but immediately deleted it. She just couldn’t bring herself up to say that she really is the vocalist of the band.

 

Taeng: no. they really are nice.

Jess: it’d be really nice to meet other fans there

Jess: the others who are going to the event are planning a meet up

Taeng: are you going?

Jess: maybe if work permits me

Taeng: I think I’m going to be there too

 

She was trying to confess but of course, Jessica wouldn’t take it as “I’ll be at the event because I’m actually Kim Taeyeon.”

 

Jess: whoa

Jess: you really are taeyeon’s no. 1 fangirl

Jess: I guess I’ll be seeing you there then

 

Jessica got excited at the thought of finally meeting someone she met online in person while Taeyeon struggled in trying to tell her who she really is.

 

“I’m in such deep ,” Taeyeon mumbled as she chucked her phone on the other side of the bed.

 

 

---

 

 

Kangin took a big whiff of the air as soon as they landed in LAX. “We’re in America.” The others laughed at how he tried pronouncing it with an accent.

 

“We should go to Starbucks.”

 

“We have Starbucks back in Seoul.”

 

“Starbucks Seoul is different from Starbucks LA.”

 

Yunho shook his head and mumbled, “It’s the same thing, you idiot.”

 

On their way to the hotel, the guys continued looking sightseeing while Taeyeon was busy talking to Jessica. The girl, despite her busy schedule and demanding boss, was still keeping in touch with Taeyeon.

 

Just last week, Krystal caught her typing away and the younger of the two didn’t stop prying until Jessica told her who she was talking to. Jessica told her that it was someone she met online but didn’t go into details. Krystal’s horrified expression coupled with “This is catfish in the making. I’ll be calling Nev, if I were you” made her laugh.

 

Jess: tomorrow’s the Kpop Convention

Jess: I thought you were coming

Taeng: I’m already in LA

Taeng: tomorrow’s the big day, huh?

Jess: yeah I get to have backstage passes

Jess: I could give you one too if you want

 

Taeyeon chuckled and her band mates eyed her weirdly.

 

“Kid, you’re getting weirder by the second, Yunho said as he ruffled her hair. Taeyeon ignored them and typed in a reply.

 

Taeng: no it’s fine

Jess: suit yourself then

Jess: I’ll have a chance to talk to them

Jess: tell me you’re jealous haha

 

Taeyeon had to stifle a laugh.

 

Taeng: good for you

Jess: you are so jealous of me right now admit it

Jess: I gtg

Jess: see you tomorrow I hope

Taeng: bye

 

Jessica pursed her lips because she forgot to ask the girl for a picture. “How the heck am I going to recognize her tomorrow?” She put her phone in her pocket and made a mental note to ask the girl later for a photo.

 

Taeyeon, on the other hand, was anxious about meeting Jessica. Mostly because she wasn’t exactly honest about who she really is and she was also curious about how she looked like.

 

A week ago, she accidentally hit the call button and Jessica, for some reason, accepted the video call. Taeyeon ended it in a hurry and all she saw was a glimpse of Jessica’s neck and her hair color.

 

Jess: oh I thought you really wanted to make a video call

Jess: sorry

Taeng: no no I’m sorry I accidentally hit the button

 

Taeyeon was supposed to ask her if she was fine with showing her face but Jessica has already brought up a different topic.

 

She didn’t get much sleep thinking about how Jessica would react to knowing she’s Kim Taeyeon the lead vocalist. A part of her was scared that the girl would look at her badly and think that everything she’s told her for the past month has been a lie.

 

They were in the dressing room when a familiar celebrity entered greeting them and saying “Annyeonghaseyo” in the most awkward way possible.

 

Taeyeon was the first one to recognize her. She pretty much knew her. How could she have not? Jessica has tons of stories about her being a horrible boss.

 

They bowed and greeted back. The lady looked back and prompted someone to translate what she was going to say. Taeyeon thought she was finally going to see Jessica in person but to her dismay, it was only the translator from earlier.

 

“It’s a pleasure meeting you, guys. My assistant’s Korean and she’s told me nice things about you.” Taeyeon didn’t pay attention to what she was saying and instead, she put on a polite smile and wondered where Jessica was.

 

A staff came and told them that they’re going to start in a few minutes. The tall lady bid farewell and the band members were left to prepare for their first performance in front of a Western crowd. Taeyeon was busy warming up so she failed to notice the girl who was staring at her in amusement.

 

“Jessica, what are you doing here? Go get my hair spray.”

 

She nodded and left but not without sparing another glance at the short girl.

 

 

_____

lol sorry for this late and very short update