Hey NaNa

Verse

“We need to set you up on another blind date, Taeng.”

 

“I second that.”

 

I rolled my eyes and grabbed a bottle of water from the mini fridge. Another blind date. Pfft! Because that other one went so well. I love my band mates and all but they’re the worst matchmakers.

 

I know they try hard but it just doesn’t work out. The most recent blind date they’ve set up for me seemed perfect until he started creeping me out by smelling every goddamn food that the waiter brought us. I know it’s not a complete deal breaker but come on, it’s very rude.

 

“You need to get laid too so you’d stop stressing out about unimportant things.”

 

I take back what I said about loving my band mates. I threw a menacing glare at Kangin-oppa and did the same thing to the others who chuckled with him.

 

“You’re going to die a at this rate,” Yunho, the eldest in our band, said. It was definitely a bad decision telling them about that.

 

Come to think of it, I also regret telling them to treat me like I’m one of the boys. What was I thinking?

 

“There are tons of people who would be willing to sleep with her. She’s just too damn choosy.”

 

“Can we not talk about that while we’re recording? God, I told all of that to you guys in confidential!”

 

Jaejoong-oppa put an arm around me and rubbed his knuckles on my forehead. “Relax, GF, there’s no one else here.”

 

I’ve known him for as long as I’ve known Kangin and he’s been calling me GF ever since he saw me with my bangs pinned up. It stands for Glorious Forehead. A couple of reporters misinterpreted it and genuinely thought we were dating and that GF meant girlfriend. Nowadays, he just enjoys telling everyone what it really means. He enjoys it a little too much, if you ask me.

 

“Can’t we just go back to recording? The sooner we finish this, the sooner we get out of here.”

 

“Can’t you at least tell us that you actually have plans this weekend besides curling up in a ball and watching sappy movies?”

 

“I do not do that.” I tried hitting Junsu-oppa’s arm but he was already on his way back to the booth, waddling. I’ve always wondered how he got that duck of his.

 

“I bet your little sister would get married before you do.”

 

“I don’t mind as long as she finishes school first.”

 

“And this is why both guys and girls fawn over you. You’re too damn sweet.”

 

Kangin-oppa chuckled and imitated how the girls cheer for me during performances. “Taeyeon-unnie! Taeyeon-unnie, saranghaeyo!”

 

It didn’t take long for the others to tease me further.

 

“Have my babies, Taeyeon-unnie!”

 

“Marry me, Taeyeon-noona!”

 

“TAEYEON-NOONA!”

 

How I hate it when Jaejoong-oppa does that guttural scream.

 

“Will you guys stop fooling around please?”

 

But of course, it took another ten minutes of taunting before they finally agreed on recording again. It might seem like they’re bullying me but this was actually quite a normal day in the recording studio.

 

 

---

 

 

Their second album became a huge hit and it led to the management’s decision to gear them up for their first solo concert in Korea.

 

The title track also received several recognitions from different music shows and online charts. The band just finished filming their goodbye stage at Music Bank and was now on their way to a restaurant they frequent on to celebrate.

 

Taeyeon invited her sister and Yuri to come. Her sister has told her that she was dating someone new and that she’d love for them to meet so she was also expecting to see her there. She wasn’t expecting to see them making out in a corner though.

 

She cleared and called out her sister’s name.

 

“Unnie.” Yoona grinned stupidly while Tiffany wiped the lipstick that got smudged when they were letting their tongues roam each other’s mouth.

 

Yuri appeared behind Taeyeon’s back and said, “They’ve been going at it for half an hour. It’s embarrassing.”

 

“I think it’s hot.” Jaejoong cowered when he saw Taeyeon’s stern glare. It wasn’t the playful one she would throw him every time he called her GF. It was more like a warning as if to say, “Say something like that about my sister again and I’ll make sure to beat you to a pulp.”

 

Yoona stood up and hugged her older sister. “Congratulations, unnie.” She stared at her sister’s band mates and gave them two thumbs up. “By the way, this is Tippany.”

 

The girl also stood up and beamed at Taeyeon. “Hi, nice to meet you, Tippany.”

 

“Tiffany. F. Fany.”

 

“Oh, Tiffany. Yoong, you have to pronounce your girlfriend’s name properly.”

 

“I do pronounce it properly.”

 

The conversation somehow ended up on her love life or lack thereof. They’ve only had a few drinks but the ones who couldn’t handle their alcohol well were already slurring their words.

 

Yuri and Taeyeon discreetly poured theirs to whichever glass was empty.

 

“Try online dating,” a blushing Kangin said, chugging down his sixth beer bottle of the night.

 

“That’s a great idea! GF, I second that.”

 

“That’s a catfish episode waiting to happen.” Yunho slapped Jaejoong’s arm.

 

Taeyeon wasn’t open to dating anyone but she’d be delusional if she denies being extremely lonely and feeling empty at times. The prospect of talking to someone and not end up being bullied by four grown men wasn’t too bad in her head…or maybe she’s just drunk from inhaling the scent of someone who’s had too much drinks.

 

“Yoong, stop drinking already.”

 

The younger Kim stared at her blankly before the equally intoxicated Tiffany captured her attention and they drank some more. Taeyeon saw Jaejoong staring at them and she just couldn’t help but give him her own version of Sakuragi’s evil eye. She could put up with being objectified but when it comes to her little sister, she’s going to go through hell and back so Yoona won’t have to experience it.

 

She must’ve dozed off since Yuri had to nudge her to get her attention.

 

“Are you actually thinking about dating someone online?” Yuri had a playful smile and Taeyeon sat there admiring the pronounced cleft on the Kwon’s chin.

 

“Oh come on, not you too.”

 

“It’s just so fun to—“

 

“To make fun of the shortest one?”

 

Yuri chuckled and patted Taeyeon’s back. “Taeyeon-unnie, you know that’s not why we make fun of you. Your expressions are priceless and I like it.”

 

“I don’t know if the thought of you liking my expression should comfort me.”

 

“So are you really thinking about doing it?”

 

“No. I’m too busy to even think about dating. It would be nice to have someone to talk to though.” She picked on the table napkin by shredding it into tiny pieces. “Maybe I could call the suicide hotline just so I have someone to talk to. Just to make sure I wouldn’t end up being made fun of.”

 

“I’m here. You could always talk to me…and Yoong.”

 

“Yoong’s too busy with the eye-candy clinging on her arm but I appreciate that, I’d definitely try to look for you if the suicide hotline is busy. Where can I find you anyways? Yoong told me you have a very busy schedule with different organizations and all.”

 

“Give me your phone, unnie.”

 

“I already have your number.” Taeyeon took out her phone nonetheless and handed it over to Yuri.

 

She tinkered with it a bit and gave it back to the older Kim.

 

“There you go. If you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to dial ‘Suicide Hotline’ and you’ll be able to reach the hottest telephone operator a suicide hotline could ever hire.”

 

“I didn’t know Barbara Palvin do those kinds of stuff. That’s really nice of her.”

 

“Really funny but I’m talking about the awesome person beside you.”

 

“That’s a really nice gesture, Yuri but I wouldn’t want to disturb you.”

 

“It’s fine. I could make time.”

 

Taeyeon really doubted that. With all the activities her younger sister has told her the other day that she and Yuri participate in, how could she not? She ruffled Yuri’s hair and said, “Thanks. Yoong’s really lucky you’re her best friend.”

 

“I know especially when she can’t even stand on her own two feet after drinking too much alcohol and she needs someone taller than you to help her.” Yuri pointed at the younger Kim who was struggling to get up from her seat while Taeyeon cringed at another blow to her height.

 

 

---

 

 

Yoona woke up with a splitting headache and her arm feeling numb. She looked to her side and saw a drooling Tiffany. She carefully removed her arm from under her head and stood up. She grabbed a medicine for her headache and went straight to the kitchen to get a glass of water.

 

She saw her sister clicking furiously on her laptop that was on top of the counter. She also had a bowl of untouched cereal beside her.

 

“Unnie, are you playing StarCraft?”

 

Taeyeon pursed her lips and thought of a lie. It was definitely easier to just say yes instead of explaining to her sister why she’s been spending the whole morning closing tabs of unwanted pop up ads that she got from clicking a random online dating site. What’s the use of thinking about another lie when one is already handed to you on a silver platter?

 

“I actually am. Things look interesting so I decided to try it.”

 

“Oh. Why’d you let Tipp—Tiffany spend the night at my room? I thought I couldn’t let any girl stay here for the night.”

 

“You both were drunk and Yuri and I weren’t in the mood to get you home and get her home wherever she lives. Yuri slept on the couch. Did you see her?”

 

“Nope which is funny because right now I think I’m seeing two of you. Why does my head even hurt so much?” She popped a pill in and drank water before trying to alleviate her headache by massaging the part that she felt was throbbing.

 

 She then felt a bump on her forehead and it hurt even more when she touched it.

 

“Oh about that, while Yuri was assisting you in getting out of the car, she accidentally hit your head…with the door of the car.”

 

“Accidentally? I highly doubt that.” She saw Taeyeon mumbling curse words as she clicked away. “Do you need any help? It’s StarCraft, unnie. Don’t get so worked up.”

 

“I know. Hey, Yoong, let me know if Tiffany and Yuri would want to watch our concert so I could ask for complimentary tickets for you three.”

 

“Oh right! I’m sure they’d love that. It’s free so who wouldn’t want it?”

 

“That’s a really nice way to support your sister’s career.”

 

“Even if you asked me to pay for the tickets, I would pay for it, unnie. You know that. I would sell Yuri just so I could buy them.”

 

“You can’t be like that to Yuri. She’s really nice.”

 

Yuri, who has already woken up and have heard Taeyeon’s comment, blushed furiously.

 

“She’s always nice to you but she’s actually evil. The other day she—“

 

“Good morning!”

 

Yoona glared at Yuri and she noticed how she wasn’t her normal groggy-looking self in the morning. This idiot has probably been awake for a couple of minutes now and took the time to make herself pretty in the morning.

 

“Not such a good morning if you have a headache and a bump on your forehead.”

 

“That was an accident.” The way Yuri brushed it off made it seem even more intentional. “Is Fany still sleeping?”

 

“Still drooling on my pillow probably.”

 

“Taeyeon-unnie, what are you doing? Isn’t it too early to be playing computer games?”

 

“Unnie’s taking StarCraft way too seriously.”

 

“Are you sure you’re not editing your profile for an online dating site?”

 

“What dating site?”

 

“Oh right, you were too drunk to remember the conversation last night.”

 

“Please tell me my sister is not planning on catfishing anyone.”

 

She closed her laptop and sighed. “I’m not.”

 

“Remember what I said last night, unnie? You could talk to me anytime.” Yuri picked up a grape that was on the counter top and popped it in , spitting it right back out when she tasted plastic. Playing it cool in front of Taeyeon clearly wasn’t working for her.

 

Yoona rolled her eyes. She was aware that Yuri was especially fond of her older sister and sometimes she thinks she just became her best friend for the sole purpose of being closer to Taeyeon.

 

“I’ll remember that, Yul. Yoong, summon your girlfriend so we could all eat…cereal…together.”

 

“Summon? Did you just use ‘summon’?”

 

“I’ve been trying to write a song and now all of these words are stuck in my head like freaking glue. Just call her.”

 

“Alright, I shall summon thy girlfriend.”

 

“And can you please stop making out in front of people especially Jaejoong-oppa.”

 

“I’ll do that once Yuri stops making a fool out of herself in front of you.”

 

Yoona chuckled at her sister’s clueless expression and Yuri’s laser-like glares. Taeyeon watched her sister’s retreating figure as she tried to figure out how to remove those goddamn pop ups without having to tell people what she’s been doing during her free time.

 

 

______

Title: Hey NaNa by Katie Herzig lol i just really like this song. it has nothing to do with the chapter since this chapter is just a preview of what taeng's life is like before she met jessica. i dunno my timeline's messed up i kind of messed up with the yoonfany getting together and breaking up timeline but whatevs i have 2 projects due on the 11th and i'm here sitting and writing an update instad of making it. i am so dead but i do hope you enjoy reading this if not then i dunno anymore...wait for the next chapter, i guess.

oh and if pre-chorus had jessica's POV on some chapters, this would have taeng's.

and i don't think smelling the food before eating it is rude i do it all the time...maybe it's rude maybe it's not i dunno