Chapter 17

The Human Experience

A/N: happy (Canadian) Thanks Giving everyone! I’m thankful for all of you loyal readers, so lots of love from the Great White North (aka Canada)

Bora had expected pain. She’d expected instant death – even though she knew that wasn’t how it worked. What she didn’t expect was to feel nothing. She hadn’t felt anything, not even teeth sinking into her skin.

Of course, she found out why when she opened her eyes. Before her was N, trying to hold onto Luhan so the werewolf couldn’t get away. Blood dripped down from N’s shoulder where teeth marks married his flesh. Bora felt stupid for not realizing sooner that N would take such a blow for her. He’d already taken so many hits in her place over the years that she shouldn’t be surprised. Yet she still hadn’t seen this coming.

Luhan broke free and his eyes cleared, a sign that Song Mihyun no longer controlled his actions. Even as a mindless, feral wolf, Luhan still seemed to realize what he had done as the werewolf just stood there, eyes locked onto N’s shoulder before shifting to Bora’s shocked face and N’s pain filled one. The werewolf whimpered, backing away.

The whole time Mihyun had been controlling him, Luhan had been aware of everything going on around him. It was like watching a movie. He could see everything that he was doing, but it wasn’t him doing it. When Mihyun made him go to the park, he’d been able to smell Bora and his heart felt like it had stopped. He realized exactly why Miyun had taken over his body. He’d fought so hard to regain control, to prevent Bora from getting hurt, but it hadn’t worked.

When his body and lunged at her, mouth open and teeth ready to cut into her, he’d felt like dying. But then there was N, taking the hit again and proving just how much he loved Bora. Then Mihyun had released control – Luhan could swear he’d heard her cursing about her failed plan – and Luhan was left standing there, watching the results of what had happened.

N fell to his knees in pain. He could already feel the werewolf venom flowing through his body. On any normal human, the venom would be painless and non-lethal. All it did was turn human DNA into werewolf DNA. But it reacted differently with vampire DNA. When werewolf venom tried to change vampire DNA, it killed the vampire within a couple of days. The longest N had seen another vampire last was a week.

First came the pain. Once that faded, the vampire started to have flu like symptoms so violent that they became bed ridden. The next stage was when the vampire became delusional, just like humans with insanely high fevers. After that came the body spasms. Few vampires actually made it to this stage most were killed by their fellow vampires once they started becoming delusional. The final stage was the last one; death.

“N?” Ravi called, appearing beside the older, “what happened?”

“Luhan bit him,” Ken remarked, glaring at the werewolf.

“Not on free will,” N defended the poor boy, “Mihyun was controlling him. She was helping the hunters.”

“You stupid mutt,” Jihoo growled at Luhan, recovering from the shock of seeing his plan fail right before his eyes, “Mihyun was going to make you kill that original ! You can’t even be possessed right!” Silently, Bora walked over to the hunter. There was an eerie calm about her as she stood there, watching him with a blank look on her face. Suddenly, rage contorted her features and she slammed her hand into Jihoo’s chest, yanking out his heart and throwing it to the side. Leo caught the organ and dropped it on the ground, squishing it under his foot after dropping it.

“Clean everything up,” Bora ordered, her voice colder than any of them had ever heard, “take Luhan back to his place and get N back to our home.” Ravi and Ken quickly pulled N to his feet and headed home. Hongbin, Hanbi, and Hyuk carefully led Luhan away, taking advantage of his shocked state so that they didn’t get bitten themselves. Jiwook and Gayun also left to clean up the remains of Seunghyun.

Bora and Leo watched with quiet disinterest as Suji, Nara, and Jina cleaned up any trace of Jihoo before leaving for home themselves.

“This is my fault,” Bora admitted once she was sure it was just her and Leo, “I should have known he would do that.”

“You couldn’t have stopped him even if you did,” Leo countered, “N would do anything to keep you safe. He loves you.”

“He’s sired to me,” she said, “sired vampires always love the one who turned them. They do everything they’re told to do by the one who turns them.”

“We both know he isn’t sired to you,” Leo patted her head, “this isn’t the time for that talk, though. We need to get home. I think N would like to spend his last few days with you.”

--

“It isn’t your fault,” N told Luhan as the pair sat in the vampire’s bedroom the next day, “Mihyun made you do all of this. You would never have done this of your own free will.”

“I should have been stronger,” Luhan argued, his voice filled with guilt, “I could have stopped this from happening. I could have forced her out of my head.”

“She’s the witch who created vampires and hunters,” N sighed, “and come back from the dead once. I couldn’t fight off her control, so why should you be able to?”

“I’m sorry,” Luhan tried not to cry. He’d hurt his friend, condemned him to death, and he felt awful. N was probably the only vampire who didn’t blame him, too. Well, they had all said that it wasn’t his fault, that it was Mihyun who made it happen. But he knew that deep down they blamed him for not being stronger, for being so easily controlled by the dead witch.

Downstairs, everyone sat in silence.

“Is there any way to save him?” Kris finally asked.

“No,” Bora said firmly.

“No,” Suji suddenly cried, “there is a way. Bora, if we just—“

“No,” the older said, rising her voice and glaring at the younger, “we cannot let him lose. Don’t you remember what happened last time he was free? Or the time before that? Or when we sealed him away the first time? Nothing good can come from letting him free.”

“She’s right,” Leo added, “every time he gets out of that coffin, out of his chains, bad things happen. People die, lots of them. We can’t let him out just so we can keep N alive, it’s not worth it.”

“Yes it is!” Suji yelled, tears starting to form, “N is worth it! And he’s been locked away for so long, maybe he’s finally changed!”

“You thought he’d changed the last time,” Bora hissed, “and then he got Ken’s family killed. Whose family will he take away this time, Suji? The checkout girl at the nearest grocery store? The paper boy? What about that Dasom girl who helped Hongbin with his homework the other day? It isn’t worth it, Suji, it will never be worth it!” Suji stormed out of the room and the sound of a door slamming shut echoed throughout the house.

“Who is this “he” you’re talking about?” Luhan asked, coming into the room with N, the older using him as a crutch.

“He is our brother,” Jiwook spoke up, “Song Shin. Our adopted brother of werewolf descent.”

“Our mother took him in when he was a baby,” Bora explained, “he might not have been blood, but we always thought of him as if he was. When our mother turned us into vampires, she also turned him. The first time he killed, though, his werewolf blood was awakened. This made him a hybrid, capable of destroying a vampire’s humanity with his bite and healing them of a werewolf bite with his blood.”

He can save N.”

A/N: an extra original? Oh my, who saw this coming? And we know he can save N, but why won’t Bora let him free? Why is Leo so against letting him free, too? And why is he sealed away in the first place? Or any of the other times? What does he have to do with the death of Ken’s family? I feel bad leaving so many unanswered questions for you guys, but *evil grin* I guess that just means you’ll have to check out the next chapter, huh? please comment!! I’m always open to hearing predictions on what you guys think is going to happen next, so if you have a theory, let me hear it!!