Chapter 24

The Human Experience

Xiumin kept shifting in his seat. Jiwook was glaring holes into the back of his head and the hybrid was beyond uncomfortable. It wasn’t his fault Bora had paired him with Nara to go searching for signs of Shin after school. The oldest of the three originals hadn’t even given him another option, she just looked Xiumin in the eye and told him what she wanted.

Nara didn’t mind, so why should he? She was his friend for crying out loud. He should be allowed to spend time with her. Even if that time was spent looking for the crazy, homicidal, original hybrid. Jiwook shouldn’t be as upset as he was.

What Xiumin didn’t realize was that Jiwook was jealous. He didn’t know for sure that Xiumin didn’t have feelings for Nara. And they pair were very close, close enough to drink from the same human at the same time. Just friends didn’t do that. And now the pair would be alone together while looking for any sign of Shin.

Oh, Jiwook was very displeased about that.

“Sister,” Jiwook called one class was done, arriving at his elder sister’s classroom in record time, “I wish to talk to you.”

“What is it?” Bora cocked her head to the side slightly, wondering why Jiwook wanted to talk all of a sudden. Jiwook wasn’t much for talking, so it was always strange to hear the sound of his voice.

“Nara,” Jiwook said and Bora’s eyes widened in surprise. Now that was not something she had expected him to say. Jiwook never talked about his relationship with the younger vampire. Never. Not a single word. But now he wanted to talk about it? Colour her confused.

“Alright,” she nodded, slowly following her brother out into the hall, “then let’s talk about Nara, shall we?”

“I care for her, sister,” Jiwook sighed, his normally blank face giving way to show his emotions, “with all my undead heart.”

“That great, Jiwook,” Bora smiled slightly. She was even more confused than before. Jiwook had never let on that he cared for Nara. Most of the group had grown to assume that he hated her or just didn’t care about her. But he actually loved her?

“You look surprised,” he observed, his blank expression returning once more.

“Can you blame me?” she replied, “you don’t exactly share your feelings. Everyone thought you hated her. or that you found her annoying. Gayun has asked countless times why I keep her around when you clearly don’t care about her. Why I don’t find a way to let her down easy so she can live her own life. Until just now when you told me how you felt, I often wondered if I should.” Jiwook frowned at her confession.

“Is that really what everyone thinks?” he asked and his frown grew when she nodded her head.

“Jiwook,” Bora sighed, trying to think of some good advice for her brother. When it came to love, she wasn’t very good at it. She’d been like that for years, ever since she fell for the wrong person and ended up hurt in more ways than one.

“You should tell her how you feel,” N advised, coming to join the pair, “she needs to know, Jiwook, or she’ll think you don’t love her.” Jiwook stood there for a moment, taking in the younger vampire’s words before taking off to find Nara.

“How are you so wise about this kind of stuff?” Bora asked, turning to face N. She couldn’t recall him ever being in a relationship in all the time she’d known him nor did she think he’d been in one before he became a vampire.

“I just know,” he replied, flashing her a smile before heading back into the classroom to collect his things.

Bora watched him go before following.

Jiwook rushed down several halls, trying his best to find where Xiumin and Nara had gone. If anyone was an expert on relationships like his, it would probably be N. Not to say that N’s love life was anything like his, but it was close enough that Jiwook trusted the younger vampire’s word.

“Nara,” Jiwook called upon seeing the female. She startled, as did Xiumin who was walking beside her.

“Jiwook oppa?” Nara asked, cocking her head to the side. Jiwook didn’t answer her question. Instead he grabbed her hand, growled at Xiumin, and dragged her away in the other direction. Xiumin just watched them go, unsure if it was a good idea to let them go or not.

“Jiwook?” Nara asked, allowing him to pull her down the street, “what’s wrong? Did something happen?”

Again, she received no answer. Had something happened? Had Shin attacked? But then, if it was something that important why hadn’t Jiwook told Xiumin to follow? Why was it only her he wanted? The same questions kept flying through her head until Jiwook came to a stop.

Nara looked around to find that they had stopped in the middle of the park. There weren’t any other people around, leaving the couple alone. Silence fell, broken only by the sound of flowing water from the nearby fountain.

“What’s wrong?” Nara finally asked, looking at a clearly troubled Jiwook.

“I hate it when you hang out with other men,” he confessed, struggling to find the right words and put them into sentences that made sence, “it makes me so mad.”

“I don’t understand,” she said. Was he really saying what she thought he was saying? Or was she just reading too much into his words?

“I don’t want to lose you, Nara,” Jiwook said, looking her dead in the eye, “I love you. I know I don’t show how much I care, but I do love you.”

Without another thought, Jiwook leaned down slightly and kissed Nara. It took a moment before she responded, but when she did, she through her arms around his neck and pulled him as close as she could. Nara had been waited for ages to know what Jiwook felt for her. Now she knew. She’s always been afraid that he didn’t care about her the same way she cared for him. But he did! He loved her!

“I love you,” she whispered against his lips when they parted, “I love you so much.” Jiwook smiled slightly before pulling her into a tight hug.

A/N: awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. So cute~!