Chapter 10

The Human Experience

Everyone sat gathered around the couches and chairs in the living room of the mansion. Bora had taken up the spot between N and Ken while Leo stood behind them, back ridged like he was waiting for something to attack. Ravi was sprawled out across the chair nearest N while Jina sat in front of him on the ground, knees pulled tightly to her chest. Gayun was leaning against the door frame, glancing between the front door and the werewolves sitting on the two couches in front of Bora.

Hanbi was with Hongbin by the windows, eyes never leaving the yard and the street as they searched for anything that posed a danger to those inside the home. Nara sat at Jiwook’s feet as the older leaned against the fireplace, the best position to view everything within the room. Hyuk silently entered the room with Suji after doing a quick check of the rest of the house. Suji sat in the chair nearest Ken and Hyuk sat at her feet, stretching out his feet and leaning his head back so Suji could play with his hair – her nerves habit was to play with people’s hair.

“When I say my piece, I don’t want to hear any interruptions,” N said, tone daring anyone to go against him, “no question, comments, or anything until I’m done. A few of the others want to tell their stories as well. As you can imagine, they would rather you kept quiet when they talk, too.”

“Right,” Kris nodded.

“As I told Luhan,” N started, “I first met Bora, Jiwook, and Suji a couple of months before I was turned. My village, my people, were just starting to move to the place we called home over the summer. At the time, most people lived in nomadic tribes as mine was no different. By chance, we were all traveling the same way at the same time. Our leader asked them to travel with us because it was dangerous for three young kids to be traveling alone.

“I’m well aware of how stupid that sounds when you know what they are,” he continued, “but we didn’t know and invited them. They said their village was attacked and mostly everyone was dead. Those who were alive had gone their separate ways. We believed them and traveled together for the next few months. We had no idea what in the year that had passed since our last move, a werewolf pack had marked our summer home as theirs for when they changed.”

“Bora knew the second she got there,” Jiwook put in when N paused in an attempt to find the right words, “she tried to convince the tribe leader that something wasn’t right, but he didn’t believe her. In fact, he told us to leave.”

“Everything was fine for the first week we were there,” N finally started talking again, “but then came the full moon. I can’t remember when the attack started, but I know I woke up to my mother screaming. I exited our hut to find a werewolf ripping her apart and my father already dead. I remember grabbing a weapon and attacking, but it was too late. While my back was turned, another werewolf got into our hut and killed the rest of my family. My younger brother. My baby sister. My older sister and her husband. Their baby. Within a few hours they were all dead.

“Bora hadn’t been far away, but even with her vampire speed she hadn’t been in time to save many people,” Bora rubbed N’s back, silently encouraging him to go on, “we’d gotten pretty close over the months of traveling, so she stopped as soon as she found me laying half dead with my family’s remains around me. While Jiwook and Suji took care of the werewolves to save everyone else still alive, Bora fed me her blood. Lots of it. I died a few minutes later and woke up the next morning completely healed.”

“I offered N the chance to become a vampire or die,” Bora finished, “he picked living as a vampire.”

“When a vampire is turned, all their emotions are heightened,” Ravi added, “in N’s final moments of life as a human, he hated werewolves. When he was turned, that hate turned into pure rage.” The blond glanced over at the werewolves in the room, “believe it or not, how N hyung’s treated you guys is the best he’s ever treated any werewolf in the past ten thousand years. He’s mellowing out with age.”

Just like N had requested – or ordered – the twelve werewolves had sat quietly through his whole story. But now that he was done, Suho had one question.

“Is that what started the hate between werewolves and vampires?”

“Yeah,” Bora nodded, “It got out to some werewolves that we’d killed a whole pack and they turned it into something bigger than it was. They didn’t think we had the right to save the ten or so humans we’d managed to save, they felt that the humans should have died for being stupid enough to move into werewolf territory. They told other werewolves that we’d attacked first just because we wanted to and they believed them. I had no problem with it because it kept werewolves away and that was when N needed at the time.”

“Hyung went a little nuts and shut off his humanity a few times thanks to crossing paths with werewolves,” Ken added, “I can’t really talk ‘cuz I did the same thing for a while when meeting vampires who reminded me of the ones who killed my family.”

“But it wasn’t your fault!” Tao cried, “you helped save humans. How could that pack lie about that?”

“They didn’t think humans worthy of life,” Leo shrugged, “remember, things were very different ten thousand years ago. There were many werewolves and vampires who views humans as worthless, as creatures who should serve our needs rather than live as equals. Needless to say, few who think that still remain alive today.” The twelve nodded, finally understanding many things about the history of their kind.

“I’ll go next,” Ravi grinned, “my story isn’t as long as N’s is. And it’s not as important as N, Leo, and Ken’s stories to the whole “vampire history” time line. I was just a kid at the time. Well, 20 was actually pretty old back then, but the point remains that I wasn’t super old. Bora and everyone came to my village and I was super excited to hear about the world they’d seen. I kept bugging them about everything until I thought Bora was going to hit me or something.

“After a few weeks, a werewolf pack came through town,” Ravi’s grin faded and his eyes lost their happy shine, “they knew who Bora was right away and attacked. It sent N over the deep end and shut off his humanity. I can’t remember much because it happened so fast. One second I was standing and watching N kill the werewolves, the next I was on the ground and bleeding out. Bora managed to stop N as soon as I was down thanks to her original compulsion and told him that he could either let me die, or turn me. N hyung decided to give me his blood and let me pick. I think he was hoping that I wasn’t so far gone that he blood would just heal me, but within a minute of drinking his blood I was dead. As you can see, I picked being a vampire over death.”

“I have a question,” Baekhyun said, “You guys keep saying that when you woke up you had to pick between death and living as a vampire. Weren’t you already a vampire?”

“When a person dies with vampire blood in their system, they’ll come back to life,” Bora explained, “but that’s only part of the transformation. To finish, a vampire needs to drink human blood within twenty four hours of waking up. If they don’t, then they die. I think my mother set it up for anyone who had second thoughts or was changed on accident. See, blood is the life force of all living things, without it, you die. Vampire blood heals, which is why those who die with it in their body get to come back, but that alone cannot create a vampire. the power of another's life force finishes the change. Truth be told, I don't totally understand it, but that's the gist of it.” The werewolves nodded even though they didn't really understand what she had said.

“So who wants to talk next?” N asked and several of the other vampires raised their hands.

This is going to be a long night, Luhan thought as he saw that Hongbin, Hyuk, Nara, Hanbi, Gayun, and Jina had offered to tell their stories. The blond had also taken note of how Ravi had called N, Leo, and Ken’s stories important to the history of the vampire race. He knew what made N’s important, as well and Ken’s, but he couldn’t imagine what made Leo’s story so important when the silent vampire hadn’t said anything about his past.

A/N: so here's N's long awaited backstory! plus, Ravi got his story in there, too. anybody wondering about Leo's story? and how it's important to vamprie history? *evil laugh* can't say that one's going to come up again soon, but remember it for the future because Leo's background is going to play a key role in things later on. i originally was going to post this a bit sooner in the day, but i got busy helping my family and only just got time now. thank you to all my subscribers. can not say how grateful i am to you guys enough. please comment if you have the time!!