Christmas Special

The Human Experience

A/N: Merry Christmas everyone! Happy Holidays! Here’s my Christmas gift to all of you. Since that poll I made a few weeks ago said most (meaning over 70%) of you want Bora with N, I figured I’d give you some Nora action as a gift (what do you think of that couple name? personally, I like it). Hope you like it~!

Bora glared at the tree sitting in the living room. Everyone else was enjoying its presence, even Gayun and Jiwook. Yet the original was far from being in the holiday mood. Come to think of it, N didn’t think he’d ever seen her in the Christmas mood even once since the day he met her.

Christmas was a time for love and family. Bora could get behind the family thought, but the love? That was a bit tricky. But this year was different. This year she had him by her side as a lover. That had to put her in a better mood, right?

“You shouldn’t look so angry,” N joked, laying his head on her shoulder after taking a seat beside her on the couch, “it’s Christmas. You should be happy.”

“It’s cold outside,” she growled, reaching up to pet his hair, “and every song on the radio is Christmas carols. And every other show on TV is either a Christmas special or a Christmas movie. Or, god forbid, a Christmas themed commercial. Why would I smile at that?”

“You aren’t looking on the bright side,” he reasoned, “think of all the good things. Spending time with family and friends. Cuddling up by the fire place with someone you love. Hot chocolate.”

“You’re always so cheerful,” Bora commented, glancing at him from the corner of her eye. Her lips pulled up slightly to form a tiny smile. While N had wanted something more – like a bigger smile – he was content with a tiny smile from his love.

“Leo looks happy,” he noted, nodding in the direction of the silent vampire. Bora followed his gaze and found that Leo did look rather happy as he helped Sehun and Jina put decoration up around the fire place.

“And he got mad at me for not admitting my feelings,” Bora smirked, “I should get him a mirror for Christmas.” N laughed. She had a point. Leo spent so much time bugging them about their relationship, trying to get them to admit their love for the other and get together, yet he completely neglected his own love life when it came to Jina.

“Or we could just play matchmaker,” he suggested, nuzzling his nose against her neck.

“Nope,” Bora replied, getting up. Since N had been leaning against her, he fell over. Without another word, he watched as Bora left the room.

“Bora’s never been one for big celebrations,” Suji admitted, taking a seat beside N, “even when we were humans.” N nodded in agreement. Bora preferred to keep to herself and didn’t let many people in. That was why the trust she had in N was so special. Even their time apart hadn’t been able to damage it after the mess that had been his confession.

“I have an idea,” N suddenly grinned. Bora might not be into the whole celebration that was part of Christmas, but that didn’t mean he couldn’t help her gain some Christmas spirit.

N left, rushing off so he could throw together his surprise for the original. Suji giggled as she watched him run out the door. Of all the people who had come into her elder sisters life, she was forever grateful that it was N who had not only stayed but won her sister’s heart. No one else in the world understood Bora better.

Turning her attention away from her sister and N, Suji focused on the other romances going on. Mainly Gayun and Tao. The blond vampire had been getting closer and closer to the hybrid with every day that passed, yet she had yet to make a move. Not that Tao didn’t share some of the blame, because he did. He hadn’t made a move yet either and everyone could tell he’d fallen in love with Gayun.

“Maybe playing matchmaker isn’t such a bad idea,” Suji giggled before running over to Hongbin’s side, whispering her plan in his ear. Although Hongbin was a bit reluctant at first, he soon gave in and went along with Suji’s plan. If things worked out like she hoped, Bora wouldn’t be the only one to have a good Christmas this year.

--

N strolled through the streets, silently hoping that he could find what he was searching for. Come hell or high water, he was going to make this Christmas special for Bora. After all, this was their first Christmas together as a couple.

“Hyung,” N jumped, startled that Tao had suddenly appeared and called his name.

“What is it?” N asked, “I thought you were back at the house.”

“I was,” the hybrid nodded, “but then Suji started flirting with me and Gayun got upset and yelled at me to go.”

“Wait a second,” N blinked in surprise, “Suji flirted with you? As in Bora’s little sister Suji? Suji who’d never had any romantic interest in anybody for as long as I’ve known her?” Tao nodded and N felt his jaw drop in shock. Suji didn’t flirt, not with Tao and not with anyone. That wasn’t to say that she couldn’t flirt, just that she didn’t have any interest in it.

“I don’t get why Gayun got so upset, though,” Tao frowned, “it wasn’t like I flirted back or anything. Suji was probably just playing around.”

“Dense much,” N muttered, but kept his mouth shut. Everyone – other than Tao – knew that Gayun was in love with Tao. Yet just because everyone knew didn’t mean they could tell Tao how she felt. Only Gayun could do that and she would tell him when she was good and ready.

“What are you doing here?” Tao asked, “I thought you would be with Bora.”

“I’m trying to find a gift for her,” N admitted, “something special to get her into the holiday spirit.”

“I noticed she wasn’t that into Christmas,” the younger nodded, “but I don’t think a gift will help her.”

“Why not?” the red head raised an eye brow, daring Tao to explain himself.

“I just don’t think buying her a gift will really change her view,” Tao shrugged, “I think she’ll enjoy just being with you for the whole day better.” N paused, considering the other’s words before nodding.

“You might have a point,” he conceded, “but I still want to get her something special.”

“I can help with that,” Tao offered and the two started their search or the perfect Christmas gift for Bora.

Back home, Gayun’s mood had become rather unpleasant for anyone who had to be around her. Suji, the reason for this change, found herself regretting her actions. Maybe Gayun didn’t need someone interfering in her love life after all. However it was too late to regret interfering because she’d already done it.

“What did you even say to piss her off that much?” Ken frowned, looking at the kitchen door Gayun had just used to leave the room, “I don’t think I’ve ever seen her so angry and I’ve seen her angry plenty of times.”

“I didn’t say anything that bad,” Suji tried to defend herself, “I just asked Tao if he wanted to go out sometime and she snapped.”

“That would explain it,” Jiwook smirked slightly, taking hold of Nara’s hand, “you might be her friend, but Tao’s the one she loves.”

“You should be thankful she isn’t trying to take off your head,” Xiumin laughed from beside the happy couple, “Jiwook came pretty darn close to killing me a few times when I was trying to get him and Nara together.”

“You shouldn’t have gotten so touchy with her,” Jiwook scoffed and Nara giggled awkwardly. The pair might sound like they were only playing, but Jiwook really had come close to killing Xiumin a few times when the other had been trying to get Jira – their couple name – to happen.

“Maybe you should stop trying to play matchmaker,” Suho suggested, “Tao and Gayun both love each other. It’s not like one of them is going to drop dead any time soon. Just give them some time and they’ll admit their feelings on their own.” Suji nodded, but she unfortunately couldn’t stop her plans. Not because she didn’t want to, but because her fellow matchmaker – Hongbin – wasn’t there. Because he wasn’t there, she couldn’t tell him that he plan was off. Because he didn’t know the plan was off, he was going to keep up his end of things.

Suji hoped that his half of the plan didn’t end as badly as her half did.

--

“Tao,” Hongbin called as he saw Tao and N walking ahead of him, “what are you doing here?”

“Gayun kicked him out,” N explained once Hongbin had fallen into step with them, “she got really mad when Suji flirted with him.”

“Then it’s a good thing I’m not home right now,” Hongbin shuttered. An unhappy Gayun made for an unhappy house. Hongbin, Ravi, Hanbi, Nara, Hyuk, and Ken – mostly Ken – knew that better than anyone because they tended to be on the receiving end of her anger. They didn’t know why, that was just how things worked out.

“What brings you here?” Tao asked, “Doing some shopping for Suji?”

“Sort of,” Hongbin admitted, “she wanted me to get something for Gayun that I could use to make you jealous.”

“Come again?” Tao blinked in confusion.

“Suji’s playing matchmaker, isn’t she?” N sighed. Apparently, seeing how well the great matchmakers – Xiumin and Leo – had done had inspired Suji to try her hand at it. On the bright side, she’d picked the less dramatic pair to work with. Gayun might have a temper, but it was nothing compared to Leo’s.

“She can’t help it,” Hongbin shrugged, “she sees a couple who’s perfect together and she just has to try working her magic.”

“Gayun and I are just friends,” Tao defended himself, earning disbelieving looks from the two vampires.

“Try looking yourself in the eye and saying that,” N laughed.

“Even if I did like her,” Tao sighed, “she doesn’t feel the same.”

“Are you kidding me right now?” Hongbin scoffed, “Is he kidding me, hyung? Gayun doesn’t like him in that way. Please, and I haven’t loved Suji for the shadows all these year.”

“I didn’t know you liked Suji,” Tao said, trying to change the subject.

“Yes I do,” Hongbin nodded, “and once she’s interested in having a love life, I’ll tell her how I feel. But the problem at hand is your relationship.”

“You should tell Gayun,” N advised, “she’s too stubborn to do it herself, so you have to make the first move. Now if you’ll excuse me, I just spotted the perfect gift for Bora.” The eldest left the two then, heading off to buy this ‘perfect gift’ for the love of his existence.

“Just tell her,” Hongbin sighed once the pair was alone, “the worst thing she’ll do is reject you.” Tao nodded, wondering if he should take relationship advice from the two vampires or not.

--

Christmas morning came and Bora woke up to someone sitting at the foot of her bed. Groaning loudly to show her displeasure at waking up so early on one of her most hated days of the year, Bora sat up and glared at whoever dared wake her up.

“N?” she blinked, clearly surprised to find him there, “what are you doing?”

“I wanted to be the first thing you saw when you woke up,” he smiled, “and I wanted to be the first to give you a gift.”

“I hate gifts,” she frowned at him, “you know that.”

“But this is special,” N told her, moving to sit beside her as he pulled out a small box and handed it to her, “just open it.” With a dramatic sigh, she did as he said.

“Oh,” she blinked, looking at the beautiful ring that rested inside the box.

“It’s a promise ring,” he explained, “I figured it was perfect for this stage of our relationship.” N almost told her that he wanted to replace it one day with an engagement ring and then a wedding ring, but he held his tongue. One step at a time, all that could come later.

“I don’t know what to say,” Bora admitted, “thank you, Hakyeon.”

N just smiled, leaning over so that he could kiss Bora’s lips.

At the door to the mansion, Tao stood. The hybrid kept fidgeting nervously as he tried to find the courage to knock on the door. He’d decided last night to listen to N and Hongbin’s advice, but now he wasn’t so sure. Tao was so caught up in his thoughts that he didn’t notice the door opening. Only when Gayun cleared did he notice her watching him.

“What brings you here so early in the morning?” she asked, cocking an eyebrow as she took in his nervous expression.

“I wanted to tell you something,” Tao said, unable to lie under her gaze. He always found it so hard to lie to the blond vampire, fearing that she would see right through him and get really mad at him for lying to her face.

“Then speak,” she shrugged, “and get inside. It’s cold and keeping the door open is letting all the warm air out.” Tao nodded and followed her in. Once the door was closed, she turned to him and waited for him to talk.

“Iloveyou,” Tao said in one breath before trying to make a run or it. Gayun managed to catch him before he could go anywhere, though.

“What did you say?” she asked, pretending that she didn’t understand what he’d told her. but she did understand and was having trouble keeping the grin from her face.

“I,” Tao blushed, forcing the words to leave his throat, “love you.” Hearing that, Gayun smiled. Before Tao could process her reaction, she pulled him into a deep kiss that left his head spinning.

“I love you, too,” she told him, a bright smile on her face. Tao grinned, his nervousness long forgotten, and pulled her into a kiss this time. The pair stayed like that, just standing there making out, until Leo cleared his throat from the top of the stairs.

“Might wanna wait until later to do that,” Ken laughed from beside the older vampire. Tao blushed brightly and Gayun’s smile faded into her normal scowl. Without a word, she took Tao’s hand and dragged him to her room so they could be alone to bask in the glow of their confessions.

“You’re next, Leo,” she called over her shoulder before shutting the door.

“You’re next?” Ken wondered, turning to Leo, “what does she mean by that?” Leo didn’t say anything, but he had a pretty good idea what Gayun was getting at.

That Christmas ended quite well for everyone. Locked up in her room with N and a pile of her favorite movies, Bora actually enjoyed the day for once. Tao and Gayun eventually joined the others to celebrate, but it was clear that they were enjoying each other’s existence more than being with everyone else.

It was safe to say that – for once – everything was perfect.

A/N: Merry Christmas, everyone!