Chapter 30

The Human Experience

“What happened?” N’s shout seemed to shake the whole house. Gayun knew even before she opened her eyes that she was in for it. Moments later, she was proven right as N through open her door, busting it off its hinges, and started yelling at her.

“What the hell are you yelling about?” she yawned. In her sleepy state, she had forgotten about what had happened the day before. Then, her brain woke up enough for the memories to flood back and she realized that N had seen the four statues in the living room – the stone versions of Bora, Jiwook, Shin, and Suji.

“What happened to them?” N yelled, his voice echoing off the walls and making him seem even louder than he already was, “who turned them to stone? You foolish little girl, how could you let anything happen to her? to them?”

“Like all this is my fault,” Gayun hissed, beyond angry with the older vampire, “Bora wanted to be sealed away, same with Jiwook and Suji.”

“Lies!” N growled, “she never would have done something so foolish.”

“God you’re so stupid,” Gayun laughed darkly, “answer me this then if you’re so sure. If Bora didn’t want to be sealed away, why is she a hunk of rock in our living room? you and I both know she’d still be here, just like always, if she wanted to be.”

“No,” N hissed, his anger growing as well as his doubt in his own words, “she wouldn’t have been stupid enough to do this. It’s your fault for not protecting her like you should have.”

“Like you’re one to talk,” Gayun’s dark laugher grew, “you left her. if anyone’s to blame for what happened, it’s you.” Gayun wanted to take those words back, she knew what happened wasn’t N’s fault, but he’d made her angry by blaming her and the words had just slipped out. Now she’d said them and she couldn’t take them back.

N fell silent upon hearing her words. Slowly, as the words started to sink in, his face transformed from a mask of anger to an expression of pain and sorrow. In his mind, there was truth to her words. Leaving Bora as he had probably had helped up such an idea in her head. Slowly, tears started to flow down N’s cheeks.

“I’m sorry,” Gayun apologized when she saw him starting to cry, “I shouldn’t have said that. This isn’t your fault, N.”

“No,” he frowned, wiping his eyes, “you’re right. My leaving helped to put such an idea in her head.”

“You’re back,” Nara said, opening the door as she now deemed it safe to enter the room, “is everyone else here?”

“They’re in the living room,” N nodded, waving Nara over to he could hug her. She was suffering just as much as he was and both needed comfort from someone who knew exactly what they were going through.

“Let’s go down stairs,” Gayun sighed, getting out of bed, “we need to figure out what we’re going to do.”

“Did Alexandria try to fix it?” N asked as the three made their way to the living room.

“No,” Nara said, attempting to fight off her tears, “she just left us a note saying that she couldn’t undo it.”

“So they’re stuck like this?” Ravi asked once they entered the living room, “We can’t fix it?”

“She said that there was a way,” Gayun explained, “but the only witch she knows of who could fix it is dead.”

“There has to be another witch powerful enough to fix it,” Ken tried to sound hopeful, “we’ll just need to find them.”

“Where is Luhan?” N finally asked, “And his brothers. I would have thought they’d be here.”

“They left,” Nara said, her tone showing just how much she didn’t want to be the one to tell N about why Luhan left.

“What happened?” N asked her, his anger rising once more.

“Remember that hunter family a few years ago?” Gayun didn’t want to explain things either, but she wasn’t about to let Nara be the messenger. Not when N had no problems shooting the messenger. “The ones who ambushed us? Then Bora attacked them the following night?”

“What about them?” N’s mood just seemed to worsen at the memory of that attack. He didn’t know how it related to Luhan leaving with his brothers, but it couldn’t be good.

“Luhan and Bora ran into one of the daughters she changed,” Gayun continued, “Luhan had known the girl before she was turned. When she told him her side of what happened, it kind of through him for a loop. He left because he needed time away from Bora to think. You know, to get his thoughts straight.”

“To think about what?” Ravi scoffed, “what’s the best way to stake a vampire?”

“No,” Gayun frowned, a bit of her own anger over the Luhan situation leaking into her words, “to figure out if he sees her as a monster or not. Bora didn’t bother to tell him her side of the story, she didn’t think she needed to.”

“Go find them,” N growled, “and make sure you tell Luhan exactly what happened while he was ’getting his thoughts straight.’ Or, wait until he’s here before you tell him. I want to see his face when he finds out.” Everyone nodded before leaving N alone in the living room.

It wasn’t often that N got that mad. But when he did, everyone stayed as far away from his as they could. Even Leo, N’s closest friend, stayed clear of the older vampire when he was in such a mood. Now that he was in such a mood, her face twisted into a dark, furious expression, the other vampire felt a bit of pity for Luhan knowing that the hybrid was on the receiving end of N’s anger.

Once completely alone, the anger drained from N’s face as he turned his attention to stone-Bora.

Slowly he made his way over to the stone version of his love. In a way, N needed to reassure himself that this was really happening. He needed to be sure that this wasn’t a cruel joke. Although, considering the alternative, he hoped that maybe it really as just a joke, Bora’s way of punishing him for leaving her. because if it was real, then that meant she really was sealed away, possibly forever.

“This is all my fault,” N started to cry as he ran a hand over stone-Bora’s face, “I never should have left you. God, I’m such an idiot I never should had said anything. I should have just let things stay as they were then I would have been there to stop you from doing this.” N’s kept crying, falling to his knees as he sobbed his heart out.

A/N: oh N, it’s not your fault. Dang, I’m feeling guilty and I’m the one who wrote it.