Chapter 12

The Human Experience

“You’ve been overplaying our hand,” Jihoo, the older Kang brother, told Seunghyun, “they’re going to be ready for our attack at this rate.”

“Sorry, brother,” Seunghyun hung his head sadly, “I didn’t mean to mess up your plans.”

“Just remember that we aren’t hunting regular vampires this time,” the older ruffled the other’s hair, “we can give them some hints about the ways we can attack them, but nothing else. I want it to be a surprise when I cut the vampire queen’s head off.”

“What about N?” Seunghyun asked, “Wouldn’t he kill you the second you get near her?”

“That’s why I need you to take care of him,” Jihoo smirked, “keep his eyes on you and he’ll never see me walking right up to her and ramming a stake through her heart and lopping off her head. When he turns and sees what I’ve done, you can drive a stake through his heart. And the lover boy dies right after his queen, knowing he failed to protect her from us.”

“When are we going to put your plan into play?”

“Right now.”

The younger was confused. The vampire hunter brothers weren’t close enough to Bora to do anything. Sure they could see her, but that was because they were on top of a building looking down on her and several of her vampire family and werewolf friends. How on earth were they going to be able to do anything.

Jihoo was quick to pull out a crossbow he had hidden inside his backpack and load it with a stake. He didn’t intend to kill Bora right then and there, not when he wanted to draw out her death so much more. However, putting a common wood stake into her chest would be enough to scare her and the others. It would send the message that they weren’t safe. Jihoo had done his research on Bora and knew that she wasn’t going to run no matter how much his attack scared her. Why? Because she knew he would go after the twelve werewolves she left behind. She might act like a cold , but she did care.

With that thought in mind, Jihoo pulled the trigger on his crossbow and watched as the stake hit N in the shoulder instead of his target.

N had heard the sound of something whizzing through the air before the stake hit. He’d been keeping an eye out for attack and was quick to realize that this was the attack he’d been waiting for. In his mind, it was obvious who the stake was meant for; Bora. There was no way N would ever let her get hurt, so he quickly stood in front of her and the stake logged itself into his shoulder.

Suji started to scream before Hongbin covered . Leo, Ken, and Ravi quickly moved to stand around N, shielding his bleeding shoulder from the view of the humans around them. The fewer people who knew of the attack, who had seen what had taken place, the better. Bora had frozen for a moment, trying to process what stood before her; her close friend had taken a stake meant for her and was now hurt because of it.

“We need to get out of the open,” she growled and Kris nodded, moving to help the others shield N from view as he directed the group to his home.

“Our house is closer than yours is,” Luhan explained when Bora sent Kris a questioning look, “the sooner we get out of the open the better, right?”

Luhan could faintly hear someone cursing and he was apparently not alone because Bora quickly made her way in the direction of the sounds. The blond followed after her and soon they found themselves on top of a building, glaring at the pair of hunters who glared right on back at them.

“You must be Seunghyun’s elder brother,” Bora finally said, “I wish I could say it’s a pleasure, but you hurt N and tried to hurt me.”

“I would love to say it’s a pleasure, too,” Jihoo scoffed, “but it’s never a pleasure to meet a blood er. Even if you are one of the original three.”

“It’s nice to see you two are friends outside of class,” Seunghyun laughed, “I didn’t think mutts and leeches could actually get along. Or is it because you two share an enemy? That’s why you were with N yesterday. Right, Luhan?”

“Who I’m friends with is none of your business,” Luhan growled, “N is my friend and so is Bora. You being here doesn’t change that.” It wasn’t a totally truth. The hunter brothers being there did effect his friendship with N – it made them friends. But Jihoo and Seunghyun didn’t need to know that.

“You should keep an eye on your pets, Vampire Queen,” Jihoo chuckled darkly, “this one’s mouth will get him killed. The other one might just get himself killed trying to protect you from things that aren’t going to kill you. Yet.”

“I didn’t think you planned to kill me today,” Bora smirked, “Not with that toothpick you used. Oh, and Luhan here can say whatever he wants. I don’t control his mouth, I just agree with what comes out of it.” The four fell into silence, each waiting for the other side to make a move or say something else.

“Today was warning,” Jihoo finally said, “a warning that you aren’t safe. I’d keep my eyes open if I were you, Vampire Queen, because next time I might feel like taking some lives.” Bora watched as Jihoo and Seunghyun left, walking by her as they went.

“Keep an eye on your guard dog,” Jihoo whispered as he passed, “I’ve been looking for a new fur coat. Although, a rainbow coloured coat would look much better on me, don’t you think?” Luhan hear this and started to lunge at the hunter, only to be stopped by Bora’s hand on his shoulder. She said nothing, but the slight shake of her head told him that this wasn’t the time or place to attack.

“We should have killed them,” Luhan sighed, “that basterd threatened Sehun, too. If we had of killed them now, we wouldn’t have to worry about him hurting our family.”

“As much as I would like to kill them now,” Bora admitted, “I don’t think that it would work out in our favor. He knew we’d come up here, at least I would, and he was ready for it. He can’t kill me, not yet anyway, but I can kill him and his brother. Thus, he probably had a backup plan ready in case I did kill him.”

“Back up plan?” Luhan asked, “like more hunters, waiting for a signal to attack?”

“More like waiting for no signal,” she nodded, “it’s likely that he has allies waiting for two kinds of signals. One to say he’s still able to kill me and my siblings, and another to say that he’s dead and someone else needs to take over.”

“Or it could be a bluff,” he sighed, brain hurting from over analysing the situation, “and we just fell into his trap.”

“I think we need to look into the Kang brothers a bit more,” Bora frowned. She hated playing a game with someone else’s rules. So, she’d do anything she could think of to switch the game back into her favor, put herself into the position of the one making the rules and make them follow her rules.