Chapter 14

The Human Experience

“So their parents are dead?” Sehun raised an eyebrow at Jina, “I could have told you that. Seunghyun said his parents were dead in his introduction to his class. Luhan hyung told me.” The library around them was empty of all life, so he felt no need to hush his voice and Jina received the full brunt of his harsh tone.

“Well no one told me,” she frowned, “I didn’t know.” Sehun immediately felt bad for using such a harsh tone with the young vampire girl. Jina was always so unsure of herself, doubting herself constantly, and snapping at her didn’t help.

“So what’s the deal with you and Hyuk?” the rainbow haired werewolf asked as he turned back to his own research. He wasn’t just trying to make conversation, he had been wondering for a while if the youngest two vampires were dating or something. In the classes the three shared, the pair always sat together, whispering to each other too quietly for anyone else to hear. After hearing about Jina’s past, Sehun was even more inclined to believe that there was something going on between the two.

“What do you mean?” she asked, turning away from the phone in her hands. While she wasn’t that comfortable with Sehun’s chosen topic of discussion, it was better than sitting around waiting for Leo’s old contacts to call her back and tell her what they had found out about the Kang brothers.

“Are you dating or something?” he clarified.

“No,” Jina shock her head frantically, “Hyuk oppa is like a brother to me. He saved my life and I’m eternally grateful to him, but I don’t love him like that.”

“So that’s why you’re super close?” Sehun asked, not fully believing her, “because he saved your life a hundred years ago?”

“Hyuk oppa and I are very similar,” she explained, “we’re both uncomfortable around groups of people and we’re both inexperienced at controlling our urges to drink blood. Leo oppa says that we boost each other’s confidence, like a support group.” Sehun nodded. That actually did make sence. Jina and Hyuk both had problems, doubted their abilities, so of course they’d be close. Similarities tended to bring people together.

“Have you ever slipped?” he asked, “Like, have you killed someone?”

“A couple of times,” she told him, her expression remorseful, “once right after I was turned and again in the sixties.”

“I’m sorry to bring it up,” the werewolf mentally hit himself for being stupid enough to ask Jina such a thing. Maybe next he should go out and kick a few puppies?

“It’s alright,” she tried – and failed – to smile, “Leo says that it’s good to talk about it. The guilt reminds us that we aren’t total monsters.”

“Do you want to talk about it?” he asked before mentally hitting himself again. Way to go, Oh Sehun. Way to kick the girl when she was down, he thought.

“If you want to hear it,” she took a deep breath to calm herself before beginning, “the first was another survivor of the train crash. He was begging me to kill him, begging one of us to end it for him so he could be with his family. I didn’t want to do it, to drink his blood, but I wanted to live more. I thought maybe I could stop before he died, but his blood was so good that I couldn’t stop.”

“He wouldn’t blame you,” Sehun said, “he wanted to die, right? And you gave him that.”

Before Jina could reply, her phone rang and she was quick to answer it.

“Hello?” she smiled when she heard who it was, “How are you, Jennifer? That’s good. We’re in a bit of a panic here. Do you have the information I asked for yet? Thank you! Wait, so these brothers have no back up? How can they just cut all ties to the rest of the hunters? I don’t understand. Are you saying the hunter’s in charge cut them off? Why? Oh no. Y-yes, thank you. I’ll tell Bora unni you send your regards. Thank you.”

“What did you learn?” Sehun asked, but he already knew it wasn’t good.

“You know that the hunters have a chain of command, right?” she asked, “like a council of sorts with chairmen and leaders?”

“Yeah,” Sehun nodded, “hunters have to get approval from the council to go after big targets. If the council don’t want to take out a target like Bora, then they can forbid other hunters from attacking her. They’re super powerful, too, so no one goes against them.”

“Well the Kang bothers have,” she whimpered, her fear clear, “more than once. And they’re so heartless about their kills, leaving a bloody mess behind, that the council has cut ties to them completely. Like, they passed a law so that no other hunters are ever allowed to help then.”

“Why would they do that?” Sehun had never heard of a hunter being left out of the fold. Hunters were known for being very close, helping each other and standing as one. I the Kang brothers had been kicked out of the fold, been denied help from their brothers in arms, then they must have done something very wrong.

“That’s all Jennifer knew,” Jina told him, “but this is bad, very bad.”

“We have to tell the others about this now,” Sehun nodded.

“I don’t think that’s wise.”

The pair turned to find Seunghyun smirking at them. He was alone, which was a good thing, but even on his own he was dangerous. Before Sehun could process everything, Seunghyun had pulled out a crossbow and fired a stake at Jina. The piece of wood caught the girl in the stomach and she doubled over, crying out in pain as she felt the wood splinter into dozens of pieces.

Sehun lunged at Seunghyun, smashing the hunter boy into the wall behind him. Thanks to Sehun’s werewolf blood, the rainbow haired youth had the advantage and used it to throw Seunghyun to the ground. Knowing he couldn’t leave Jina alone in case the older Kang brother showed up, Sehun knocked over the bookshelves around where Seunghyun had fallen and left him buried under dozens of books and four shelves.

Getting Jina to his pack’s place was hard when she kept whimpering in pain, her blood staining the ground under their feet just as much as it stained her shirt. Thanks to her injury, they couldn’t use their supernatural speed to get there, so they had to walk. It wouldn’t do for humans to see her in such a state either, so they had to use back alleys whenever possible.

Finally, after several hours, the pair dragged themselves inside the front door. Leo was there waiting and took Jina from Sehun’s arms before the door had even shut.

“What happened?” Kris asked as Suho made sure Sehun wasn’t hurt like Jina.

“Seunghyun showed up after we got what we needed,” Sehun explained, “He managed to shoot a stake at her before I buried him under a bunch of bookshelves. I would have done more, but I didn’t know if his brother was around. With Jina hurt, it would be easy to kill the both of us.”

“It hurts,” he heard Jina whimper to Leo as Lay started removing the wood from her guts, “it really hurts.”

“I know,” the older vampire whispered in her ear, “just focus on something else.” Leo locked eyes with Sehun for a quick moment, silently thanking the werewolf for bringing Jina back and not letting anything else happen to her, before turning back to the youngest vampire. Sehun smiled slightly, wondering if Jina knew how much Leo cared about her.

A/N: hummm, before writing this, I’d totally had Leo and Jina paired together in my head—not to say I was actually going to do it, I just thought those two would be cute together. Anyway, after writing this, I’m thinking Jina and Sehun are kind of cute together, too. Hummmmm *scheming face*. I'd planned to update a little sooner today, but I've been busy with my three kittens who are just getting into that exploring stage and as cute as they may be......they're a handful. Please comment!!!!