Halloween Special

The Human Experience

A/N: Happy Halloween! Since it’s my favorite holiday tomorrow, I thought I’d do something special for you guys. Thus, we have this chapter here. My treat to all of you for reading this story that’s so near and dear to my heart. Keep in mind, events in this chapter have no reflection on the actual story. This is just cute fluff I felt like writing to thank you guys for reading, subscribing, and liking my work. There’s going to be an actual chapter this Saturday, so don’t think this is all you’re getting.

Bora scowled as she looked at her reflection in the mirror before her. How N and Luhan had talked her into dressing up for Halloween was beyond her, but they had. Suji probably had something to do with it, too. The youngest original always did like the holiday where people dressed up as something they weren’t.

Bora simply didn’t get it. Why dress up as a something you weren’t? What was the fascination? For children, the point was to get candy, but even that didn’t make sense to the original. She’d been around to see the first Halloween, but it just didn’t make sense to her. Maybe the werewolves were right and she was too detached from humanity. Humans seemed to understand the holiday just fine, same with the werewolves and vampires she called her friends and family.

“Ready to go, Katniss?” N laughed, opening her bedroom door. The vampire in question hissed, making her displeasure clear.

“Don’t know, Gale? Do I look ready?” she scoffed. Admitted, she much preferred dressing up as Hunger Games characters then the alternative. Nothing against Twilight or its creator, but there was no way she was going to dress up like Bella. Not in a million years. N had also been against the idea, but he’d happily agreed to dress up like Gale.

With Luhan’s vote also siding for Hunger Games, Bora soon found herself in a tribute uniform with a braid hanging over her shoulder. She assumed it was better than dressing up like a vampire, though.

“Bora!” Suji giggled as the older entered the living room where everyone else had gathered.

“You look pretty,” Jiwook commented, the very slightest of smiles forming on his face.

“You look handsome as well,” she replied, taking in his Mad Hatter costume, “you make a cute Alice, Nara.” The younger thanked Bora before hugging Jiwook’s arm. The older pulled his arm free, only to throw it around her shoulders to pull her closer to his side. Xiumin decided to destroy the happy couple’s moment, laughing as he joined the hug much to Jiwook’s displeasure.

“Xiumin,” Jiwook growled, trying to push the other away while maintaining his hold on his girlfriend.

“Hyung,” Luhan laughed, helping to pull Xiumin away from the vampire couple, “Let them be.”

“Fine, fine,” the older laughed before heading over to help Chen with his own pranks for the others.

“We’re all here now,” Kris called out, “we should head over to the school now. They’ll be starting the party soon and we shouldn’t be late.”

Everyone agreed and soon the group was walking to school. Along the way, they ran into several other groups of their fellow students. Compliments were exchanged, but the supernatural group mostly kept to themselves and the human students were happy to keep it that way, too caught up with their own friends to pay them much mind.

“You look pretty, Jina,” Sehun said as the pair walked side by side. She nodded, blushing slightly. Leo had said the same thing when he saw her Lolita dress. Personally she didn’t think she looked that good, Suji or Nara could pull off the look so much better. But if Sehun and Leo thought she looked pretty, then she was happy.

At the front of the group, Ken and Chanyeol were dragging Gayun, trying to get her to be as excited as they were. The blond just glared at them before lifting the hand Ken was holding to , attempting to bite him. Ken quickly pulled away, letting out a cry of surprise. Chanyeol also released his hold, preferring not to get bitten by the girl.

“Nice,” Tao laughed and Gayun smirked to herself.

Bora just silently watched everyone’s interactions, taking note of what they were all dressed up as so she could keep an eye on them once inside the school gym. Luhan was dressed as Peeta, completing he group costume she was also a part of. Leo was dressed as a lion thanks to N and Ken’s pestering. Ken and Chanyeol had dressed up as One Piece characters, but she was unsure which ones. Ravi had gone a more traditional route and dressed up as a mummy while Hongbin was wearing a vampire costume. Suji and Hyuk had also followed a traditional path with witch and zombie costume respectively.  

Nara and Jiwook had decided on a couples’ costume, Alice and the Mad Hatter, but Bora figured Jiwook look more like the Brother’s Grim then a crazy Hatter. Hanbi was dressed as a cute white rabbit, laughing along with a black rabbit Chen and a foxy Kai. Gayun was the Grim Reaper, a scythe sling over her shoulder and a scowl frozen on her face thanks to Ken and Chanyeol. Jina was dressed up like a doll, complete with rosy red cheeks and a cute, sky blue dress.  Sehun was another who went the traditional route with a werewolf costume.

D.O had chosen a Harry Potter outfit and looked pretty cute with the Gryffindor scarf around his neck and the big glasses pushed up to rest on the top of his head. Kris had been forced into a dragon costume by his brothers while Suho was a brave knight. Lay had dressed up as a doctor, something that Bora felt fit him perfectly after seeing how he’d helped N and Jina when the hunter brothers had hurt them.

Bora wasn’t ashamed to say that Xiumin looked rather cute with bear ears and Tao with a cat ear headband. Finally there was Baekhyun who had dressed up with the best costume in Bora’s opinion; nudist on strike. Every time someone saw the protest sign hanging around his neck, they burst out laughing. It wasn’t the first time Bora had seen the costume, but that didn’t make it any less funny.

When the group finally reached the school, everyone started splitting off from the main group forming several smaller groups instead.

“If you want to leave, just tell us,” N said, patting Bora’s back upon realizing how uncomfortable she felt in the crowed gym.

“We’ll leave with you,” Luhan added, grabbing her hand and entwining their fingers. Bora nodded, a slight smile forming on her face. The two really did care for her, didn’t they? If her own heart wasn’t to void of emotions, maybe she would love them back.

But her heart was numb to feelings like love. Time had frozen it and she didn’t think it would ever unfreeze. Maybe that was why she got along with Leo and Gayun so well. All three let their past pain control them, let it define them as people.

The night seemed to be going rather well, Bora supposed. She’d spent her time on the side lines watching, but the rest seemed to have had fun. Even N and Luhan had left her side to join their friends on the dance floor, amazing everyone in the room with their skills. In a way, seeing everyone enjoying themselves made her feel left out. Like she didn’t belong.

She’d almost left right then, not wanting to spoil the happiness of the others. But for some she’d made herself stay.

“You look how we feel,” Gayun smirked, making her way over to the original with Leo following behind. Both moved to stand on either side of her, taking the spots that N and Luhan normally took.

“Why are we the only ones held back by the past?” Bora finally asked.

“Because we aren’t strong enough to let it go,” Leo replied, eyes never straying too far from Jina. Bora noticed that Gayun’s eyes never left Tao for long either.

“Might I ask how that friendship formed?” the older asked. Somehow, Tao and Gayun had become friends without anyone noticing and Bora couldn’t help wonder how she had failed to see their bond forming.

“He felt left out, I guess,” the blond shrugged, attempting to avert her eyes from finding Tao once more, “all his brothers had made friends with someone in our family, but he had no one. I guess he saw that I was alone, too, so he started talking to me.

“And you talked back?” Leo questioned, not able to completely hide the disbelief in his tone. Gayun didn’t talk to people that often. Her past, much like his own, prevented her from trying to form friendships, bonds, with others. It seemed rather surprising that Tao was able to bypass seven thousand years’ worth of emotional walls so easily. But then, he was the one who got Bora to talk to him and his brothers in the first place.

“He,” Gayun smiled slightly, “reminds me of someone I once knew. A boy in my village that I once cared for. He loved me, too. But when my parents forced my marriage upon me, he left. He’d tried to get me to run away with him, but I couldn’t leave. I couldn’t hurt my parents like that because I thought they loved me.”

“Tao reminds you of him?” Bora asked and the younger nodded. Both turned to look at Leo whose eyes were locked onto Jina once more. Both knew that the innocent young vampire didn’t remind Leo of his late wife in the slightest. Whenever he felt for her had developed based only on her personality, not on any likeness to his old flame.

Bora turned to face the two boys who she found herself caring for more with each day that went by. One, N, had been by her side for so long she had trouble recalling a time without him. The other, Luhan, hadn’t been with her long but he’d managed to melt so many of her walls already. Both loved her, she wasn’t blind to that, and she knew she felt something for them in return. That scared her. The last time she’d cared for someone, loved someone, it hadn’t ended well.

“We shouldn’t be so scared,” she finally said, “we shouldn’t let out pasts control us. It’s been centuries. I think it’s time we let go of the past and moved on. Before we lose something special in our present.”

Gayun suddenly smiled before walking over to Tao. The werewolf in question jumped, clearly startled to see the vampire with a smile upon her face. However he quickly recovered and graced her with a smile of his own. Tao asked her to dance, getting ready to use aegyo to get her to agree, and she quickly agreed. Tao blinked, surprised that she’d said yes without any convincing, but let it slide and the pair were soon slow dancing around the floor.

Watching Gayun face her own fear brought a flash of bravery to Leo as he followed her example. He moved to stand behind Jina, waiting for her to turn before offering his hand. The younger looked confused before she nodded shyly. Sehun, who she had been dancing with, backed away. He felt a bit disappointed to lose his partner, but he was fine if it was Leo he was losing her to. Better to lose her to someone he knew loved her then a complete stranger knew nothing about.

This left Bora all alone on the side lines. She hated letting her past define her, but she’d let it lead her for so long she didn’t know if she could forge her own path any more. Her eyes found N and Luhan once more and she watched them for a while. Were they worth moving beyond her past? Was her past worth losing them?

With slow steps, she made her way towards the pair.

Her past didn’t define her, not any more.

The two boys, the vampire and the werewolf, were worth letting go of the past.

A/N: hope you’ve all enjoyed my Halloween treat. Happy Halloween!!!!! <3