Chapter 29

The Human Experience

Gayun realized something was wrong when Bora, Jiwook, and Suji didn’t return home right away. Once Alexandria announced that it was done, that the spell had been cast, it only should have taken them a few minutes to return home. But here she was, two hours later, still sitting on the couch with Nara as they waited.

“Something isn’t right,” Gayun started to stand, deciding she would go look for them, when a sharp pain ran through her body. Nara let out a scream, signaling that she wasn’t the only one to feel this pain. Unknown to the two vampires, N and the others were feeling the same pain as were the hybrids.

Just as quickly as the pain came, it was gone. Gayun and Nara looked at each other, alarm clear on their faces, before rushing out the door. As they ran, they realized that their vampire speed was weakening with every step, like the strength was slowly being drained from their bodies. This just made them run faster, knowing that they would have problems getting to their friends once their strength was gone.

“So Bora went through with her plan,” Alexandria asked the now empty living room, “and Jiwook and Suji went along with her. You’ve finally gotten almost exactly what you wanted, Song Mihyun. The originals are gone. I hope it’s worth it.” Alexandria gathered her things before leaving. There was nothing she could do now for the originals. 

Gayun froze when she made it to the roof top and found four statues instead of four originals. Nara rushed forewords, throwing her arms around the stone shaped like Jiwook as she sobbed.

“Why?” she asked, turning to Gayun, “how did this happen?”

“I don’t know,” Gayun replied, walking over to look into Bora’s stone face. She didn’t want to tell Nara what she thought, that this had happened because they wanted it to happen. That would only upset the orange haired girl more. However that was the truth, wasn’t it? Bora’s expression said it all. This had gone exactly as they had planned.

“We have to do something to help them,” Nara sobbed louder.

“Alexandria is still at home,” Gayun nodded, doing her best to lift two of the originals with her limited strength, “she can fix this. Get Jiwook and Suji, I’ll carry Bora and Shin. Don’t even think about dropping them or I’ll drop you off the edge of this building.” Nara nodded, wiping her eyes before following Gayun’s orders.

The pair rushed home, trying not to drop or chip the stone figures. Gayun hoped that they could get home before they lost the last of their strength, but she feared her hope wouldn’t be answered. Luck was on their side, however, because they managed to get through the front door before they could no longer lift their friends.

“Alexandria,” Nara yelled, “we need you. You have to undo this spell. Jiwook is stone! So are Bora and Suji.” While Nara ran around the house, trying to find the witch, Gayun found a note laying on the coffee table in the living room.

“Nara,” the older sighed sadly, “she’s gone. She couldn’t even fix this if she was here.” Nara came into the room, her face wet with tears and her eyes red and puffy.

“No,” she sobbed, “that can’ be true.” Gayun handed over the note. In it, Alexandria admitted to knowing about what Bora had planned to do, she was only surprised that Jiwook and Suji had joined her. She said that she didn’t have the power to free the originals from their stone state, the only one who could do that was dead and had been for ages.

And that was it. Alexandria said no more. She was gone and Gayun and Nara were alone. They didn’t know if N would return with the others. They didn’t know when Luhan would come back with his brothers, let alone if he would return at all.

Silence fell as the pair sat down on the couches, looking down at their hands to avoid looking at the stone originals.

“What do we do now?” Nara asked Gayun, her voice shaking as she tried to hold back more of her tears. How could Jiwook do this to her? They’d just admitted their feelings for each other. And how could Bora and Suji leave them, too. Nara had never told Bora, but she’d always thought of her as an older sister. And Suji was like a younger sister.

“I don’t know,” Gayun admitted, eyeing the chunk of stone that had been her best friend only a few short hours ago.

If anything happens, if anything goes wrong,” Bora had said before heading out, “Gayun, I want you to look out for Nara. Look out for her and anyone who comes back. I know you have a good heart. If anything happens, I want you to use it.”

She hadn’t known what Bora was talking about. Or maybe she had. Maybe she’d known what the originals planned to do all along, she’d just been too scared to admit it. Now, she and Nara were alone. Bora, Jiwook, and Suji were stone. N was gone and the rest of their vampire family had gone with him. Luhan, Tao, and the rest of their pack were staying away for however long it took Luhan to decide if Bora was a monster or not. Not that it mattered now. Monster or not, she was nothing but a stone statue now.

“Go to sleep, Nara,” Gayun finally said, “We need our rest. In the morning, when we have clear heads, we can figure out what we’re going to do.” Nara nodded before moving to leave.

“Do you think,” she asked, pausing in the doorway, “that they can hear us?” Gayun shrugged, not knowing if they could or not. “Goodnight, Jiwook oppa,” Nara tried to smile, looking right at the stone shaped like her lover, “I love you.” Then she left.

Gayun sat, looking down at her hands. She knew she should rest, but her mind kept working. Trying to think of a way to fix things. Trying to think of dangers that could befall the originals while they were in such a venerable state. Trying to think of someone who could help. Should she call N? Or maybe Luhan would come running after hearing about what had happened.

“I don’t know what to do, Bora,” Gayun confessed, looking up at her leader. One thing she noted was that all four originals looked calm. It was oddly reassuring that Suji wasn’t frozen mid scream or that Bora didn’t appear to be enraged. No, all four looked calm, like they had accepted their fate.

The look in their eyes seemed to say “everything will be alright.” Gayun wanted to believe that, but it seemed so hard. Bora had faith she could take care of Nara, but what if she was wrong? What if Gayun couldn’t handle it?

With her mind more troubled then before, Gayun locked all the doors and windows before going to bed.

A/N: who do you think will come back first? Luhan or N? ‘cuz one of them will be back for the next chapter.