Chapter 18

The Human Experience

After announcing that Song Shin could save N, Bora stormed out of the room. Before she left completely, however, she proclaimed that Shin would remain sealed away and no one was allowed to free him. Well, free him and live. She made it very clear that she would kill anyone who went against her orders.

Ken and Leo quickly stood and followed her, both echoing her threat. When they had left, Luhan looked around and saw that the only person left in the room who didn’t look confused was Jiwook and N. In fact, N seemed to be in complete agreement with Bora’s decision. Now that made Luhan wonder about just what kind of evil creature this Song Shin person was.

Without a word, Jiwook left and for once Nara didn’t follow him. When N noticed how curious everyone looked, he realized that the job of explaining fell to him. Bora might not like people knowing about her youngest brother and what he had done, but now was the time to spill the secret. Circumstances would no longer allow for Shin to remain unknown to the world.

No, the biggest secret of the original vampires had to come out.

“Shin is the only hybrid in the world,” N sighed, “and he hates that. Always has, always will. Bora, Jiwook, and Suji might be his siblings, but not by blood. He wants family connected to him by blood. Remember the witches who brought Mihyun back from the dead? Shin tried to get their help, their whole coven’s help. He wanted them to tell him how to make more of his kind. Then he killed them when they refused.”

“Killed?” Kris questioned.

“Butchered actually fits better,” N admitted, “the way he killed them….. It was so horrible that Bora had no choice but to seal him away. A monster like that shouldn’t be allowed to walk around. He didn’t kill all of the witches, though. Bora managed to save one and that witch became loyal to the originals. Same as her descendants. It’s this family who we go to for all our magical needs.”

“Like your daylight rings,” Suho nodded in understanding, “this witch and her family enchant them whenever you need them. And in return you protect them?”

“Yes,” the red head nodded, “they’re also the ones who help keep Shin sealed. So long as their family line lives on and we don’t remove the lid of his coffin, Shin will be sealed. We left him out twice, and both times have left countless people dead.”

“Like my family,” Leo’s sudden reappearance caused many to jump, “and Ken’s family.” Beside him, Ken nodded sadly.

“Bora asked you guys to talk?” N asked and both nodded before moving farther into the living room.

“I had a family before Shin was released the first time,” Leo started, “a mother, father, sisters, brothers, wife, and a child only a few months old.” Jina looked shocked that she’d never known any of this before about her mentor and friend. “When Shin was set free, he decided to try turning humans into hybrids like him. My village was closest, so he targeted it. My father and I, along with many of the other men in our village, tried to fight him off. Most of us were killed right away, but I was left for dead. Shin set to work trying to change the rest of the village, forcing his blood down their throats and then killing them. Like vampires, they all came back, but what they came back as…… they came back as monsters.”

“Monsters?” Sehun whispered. If Leo’s tone was anything to go by, then whatever his village came back as was horrible.

“They bleed from their eyes,” Leo described, lost in his own world as he recalled the night that changed his life, “and they moved like the zombies you see in the early zombie movies. They lashed out at everything, even each other, like a disorganized army. And then they started draining the blood from the dead, their claw like fingers ripping the rest of the corpses apart. In all the confusion, one of them stumbled into a fire pit and immediately was set ablaze.

“It started howling,” he continued, “this loud shriek that I’d never heard come from anything before. To this day I’ve still never heard anything like it. The thing started hobbling around, setting a few others on fire before falling into a home. After that, everything seemed to be on fire. It was like being in hell, I guess. When Bora showed up with Jiwook, Suji, and N I was just about to be eaten by what had once been my wife.”

“We ended up saving Leo and a couple of others,” N started talking, knowing that Leo shouldn’t be forced to keep going, “and we had to destroy those Shin had turned into those….things. While Jiwook set to work sealing Shin away again, Bora gave Leo her blood. After he died and came back, he almost killed himself again.”

“But I didn’t” Leo interrupted, voice hard and determined, “I decided to become a vampire in order to prevent what happened to my family, my village, from happening again. I’ve only failed that goal once.”

“And that’s where I come in,” Ken spoke up, “the vampires who destroyed all the vervain and killed my family had been bitten by Shin.”

“Vervain?” Suho asked

“The plant that prevented vampire compulsion and was toxic to us in general,” Ken quickly explained before continuing his story, “Shin had convinced Suji that he had changed and she believed him. Thanks to her, Bora let him out.”

“Wait,” Kris held up a hand, “he convinced her? As in he talked to her? How?”

“Shin’s coffin has a sliding area where his face is so we can talk to him if we want,” N explained, “and it’s not like he’s dead. He’s very much alive, even if he hasn’t fed in years. He can talk if he wants. There’s no reason why he shouldn’t be able to.”

“Moving on,” Ken rolled his eyes playfully, but everyone could see the pain hidden beneath, “Shin got out and was fine for a few years. Then he returned to his old ways. He found a group of vampires and he bit them. I guess he though feeding them his blood would end the same as the last time. Either way, his blood killed their humanity, completely shut it off and removed the ability to turn it back on. Without it, they became mindless creatures who listened to on one. They burned all the vervain they could find and then attacked my village.

“I lost my parents, sibling, wife, and children that day,” Ken frowned, looking down as his eyes grew distant. Like Leo, he was recalling the attack, every detail just as clear as when it happened. “There was so much blood,” he said, voice just above a whisper, “I still smelt like blood for days after the attack.” Chanyeol’s eyes widened slightly when he realized that this was why Ken couldn’t handle the smell of blood. Every time he smelt blood, it took him back to the day of the attack and he lost control of himself.

“You know the rest,” N sighed sadly, “we found Ken half dead after sealing Shin away for good. We changed him and he decided to become a vampire to preserve the memory of his family and to make sure Shin would never be let loose on the world again.”

“This is why Bora refuses to let him out,” Leo stated, eyes and face cold and void of emotion, “because every time he’s free people die, people are hurt. She promised long ago that it would never happen again, not after what happened to Ken, and she refuses to go back on her word.”

Everyone nodded. They all understood that Shin could never be set free. Yes, N would die without his blood, but setting him free wasn’t worth it.

“Oh?” a new voice, a male one, asked, “so big sis thinks I’m that bad, huh? So much for family loyalty.”

Everyone turned to find a dark haired man standing in the door frame, smirking coldly with Suji behind him, a regretful look on her face.

“Shin!” Leo, Ken, and N hissed.

“Hello, boys,” Shin’s smirk grew, “miss me?”

A/N: poor Leo and Ken. Don’t you just hate Shin (and possibly me since I wrote it)? So he’s attacked humans, then vampires in his attempt to make more hybrids. I wonder who he’ll attack next? Any guesses? Almost didn’t think I’d finish this chapter ‘cuz I got so caught up playing Pokemon X and Y. in my defence, they did an awesome job on those games.