Love at First Sight

Perfect Two

 Yeojin glanced up at Minho, they stared for a while, and her gazed went down to the baby she was cuddling in her arms. She did that cycle several times until both of them sighed at the same time. They were still at the waiting shed, and weren't able to get in the last five buses that came by.

 

In a split of seconds, Yeojin was holding a baby. Something both of them would never expect happening on any day. “What are we going to do with that child?” Minho asked staring down at the baby peacefully sleeping on Yeojin's arm. She shrugged her shoulders and looked down on the bag Minho had on his hand. She then chuckled and shook her head.

 

“It was obvious that she really planned to leave her baby to someone, but the thing is... we didn't even know who she is.” She talked and suddenly the baby wiggled her arms, as if she had a shock and was about to wake up. Yeojin cradled her in panic and hushed her. Just then, she noticed a folded paper that kept with the baby. “What's this? Minho-yah, can you get this paper?” Since she couldn't do it with any of her arms as she was afraid she'll drop the baby, she made Minho do it instead. Minho followed, and few seconds later, Minho was opening the letter and was surprised as soon as he got to read the letter.

 

“Oh...”

 

“What did it say?” She asked curiously.

 

Minho looked at her slowly and shrugged his shoulders like he was dumbfounded. “I don't know... it was written in their language.”

 

Yeojin sighed and shook her head. “Can you take the child for a while? I'll make a call to my friend and I'm sure she knows this.” Without any other words, she handed the baby to Minho without giving him any opportunity to protest. She also took the letter as she took her phone and dialed her friend's number.

 

“Hello, Shane.. help me out on this. I'll read a letter and tell me what it says.” She says and when her friend agreed, Yeojin read from line to line while her friend was translating.

 

“Oh. I got it. I got it. Thank you.”

 

“What's that for?” Her friend asked after a while. “Did someone leave a baby to you? Oh my gosh, Jeanie, you should take that to the police, I swear you need to report that! Goodness, of all the people, why must it be the foreigner? Are you alright? Do you want me to go there and help you out?”

 

“No Shane. It's okay. I'm with my friend right now and I'm sure we can fix this together. Thanks anyway, I'll call you later! Bye!” Before her friend could say another word, she immediately pressed the end call button.

 

“What does the letter said?” Minho said after she put the phone back to its keep.

 

“It's the mom who wrote the letter. She said she couldn't take care of the child because no one in the family would accept her child. I think the lady who gave the baby a while ago wasn't the mom because my friend said that the letter was written as if it was a teenager talking. And the mom talked about how her parents would never accept the child if she came back to their house bringing this baby, also, the father of the baby won't take responsibility. She didn't want to abort the baby because she wanted to give her life, however, she would wish for someone else to take it for her. She also said she didn't want to take the baby to a social welfare department because she wanted her baby to experience a real family. The last part said that it was up to us if we want to tell the baby the truth or not in the future but she only hoped we'll take care of her as if she's ours.”

 

“She raised the child on her tummy for nine months without her parents knowing about it? How is it possible?” Minho's eyebrows met each other as he was confused as how it really happened.

 

“Maybe because her parents lived in the province, so normally, they don't see each other that much. I heard a lot of students from far away provinces move her every year to study on a good university, so basically they would just occupy boarding houses and go home during the weekends. Sometimes, going back to their house in the province depends on their schedule as well.” She sighed and looked at the baby, “My friend said it would be better to go to the police station and report this to them. Since we're foreigners so we really don't know how to handle these things here in their country.


“Do you know how to go there?”

 

“Let's take a taxi, maybe?”

 

Both of them decided to just take a taxi as they go to the police station. The taxi driver recognized they were foreigners and asked why they were going to the police station.

 

“We need to report about this baby that was given to us by someone we don't know, manong.” She said addressing the man by the way local passengers do. The driver looked at the mirror to see Yeojin who was at the backseat, while Minho was seating at the front.

 

“Someone gave that?” The driver said. “Wow.. people these days, really... getting some fun and then abandoning the consequences of it..” He sighed and looked at the mirror again, and then he turned to Minho. “I think you should bring the baby to DSWD.”

 

“What's that?”

 

“Social Welfare Department. Abandoned babies are taken there.” He told them. “If you go to the police station then they will ask a lot of questions. They will look at a lot of sides of that case, and as foreigners, I know you don't like dealing with these kinds of things, like being hold in police stations and though it wasn't a criminal record, still you have a police record, and later on, the police will only bring the baby to DSWD, so why don't you just go there directly?”

 

Minho nodded and looked at Yeojin. “He has a point. Should we go straight there?”

 

“I can take you there.” The driver added but Yeojing didn't say a thing. She was rather staring at the beautiful creature who was still sleeping in her arms.

 

As she stared carefully at the sleeping angel, she realized how pretty she was. She has long eyelashes and chubby pinchable cheeks. Her lips were naturally pained red and her small nose just made her picture perfect. She guessed she was still less than a month old.

 

“She may want to keep the baby.” The driver turned to Minho and whispered. “A woman's weakness will always be the sight of an angel.”

 

Minho looked at Yeojin and so how she was dearingly looking at the child. It was like love at first sight, so he sighed and just looked straight ahead, talking to the taxi driver. “I think so.”

 

“So where are we going?”

 

Minho said to just drive them to his place. “Yeojin-ah, should we go to my place for a while and let's talk about what to do with her?” He asked but waited for a while and she didn't still answer. “Yeojin-ah...” He called again but Yeojin still didn't reply.

 

Minho sighed again. “Mister, thank you for helping us.” He said to the driver and the other smiled.

 

“You are visitors in the country. I think it's one of our responsibilities to make your stay here worthwhile. Are you here for vacation?”

 

“I have work here, while she also went here for work.”

 

“You two aren't together?”

 

“No. Just friends.” And Minho chuckled as he shook his head. “Don't get offended, mister, but are all of you here in the country knows how to speak English?”

 

The driver chuckled. “Not all, but it would be better if you know how to. I didn't finish college but I was able to learn well how to speak English in school, plus, this is not the first time I was able to have a foreign passenger... to be honest, I think half of my customers everyday were foreigners, that's how I learned speaking it a bit fluently.”

 

They started talking randomly while they were on the way to Minho's flat. Yeojin was attentive enough to the baby for her to be even aware that they were heading somewhere else.

 

As soon as they arrived at Minho's place, Yeojin lifted her head. “Manong, could we go somewhere else aside from DSWD or the Police Station?”

 

The driver smiled and Minho looked at him. “Actually, we are here at my unit. I think someone just fell in love at first sight so we need to talk about this before doing something.” He said and gave the fare to the driver, went outside and opened the door for Yeojin. He took the bag first before guiding Yeojin outside as she was carrying the baby. “Careful...” He uttered while holding the door still for them. He then closed the door and smiled at the driver as he took the baby bag on his shoulder.

 

The driver opened his window before leaving and talked to Minho lastly. “You look like a husband picking up his family from the hospital after his wife gave birth to their daughter. It suits you, young man.”

 

“Aish, you're joking.” He shook his head and laughed. “But thank you very much for the help, sir.” He saluted him before the driver smiled back and leave.