Guide for Korean Travelers

Perfect Two

“How about a huge pack of your English skills?” Kibum asked which made Minho wanted to hit him. He was being interrogative talking about all the things Minho should have before going. “They don't speak Korean so you must adjust and speak English so they could understand.”

 

“I know. I know.” Minho said irritatingly. “I even learned basic Filipino, plus I've been around everywhere during competitions so my English skills are enough to be understood.”

 

“Take care, son.” His father patted his arm and he smiled. “And be good. Don't play around just because there's no one to scold you.” His father's remarked made all of them laugh. “I know you're secretly into playing.”

 

“Appa!” Minho was surprised to hear that coming from his father. He was embarrassed as well but maybe his father has a point.

 

The usual reminder from his mother about this and that couldn't be forgotten, and to top it all, she even learned closer to Minho and whispered, “I heard from Soeun that Yeojin is there... how about finding her?”

 

“Omma!” He made the same reaction as he did to his dad and took a step backward while looking at her with surprise. “Stop thinking about that! Aishh...” He always gets uncomfortable and awkward when his mom talks about having chances to date with Yeojin.

 

“Why?! She's a good girl! I would definitely accept her in the family!” Her mom shouted almost revealing what they were talking about. Minho was more surprised and wanted to cover up what his mom said but there was suddenly the last call for the passengers of his flight.

 

“Aish.. whatever. I need to go now.” He said pulling up the handle of his luggage. “You should take care of the house and guys, please take care of the Pasta House for me once in a while.” He reminded them as well and also hugged the girls. “Yoogeunnie...” He uttered when Yoogeun gave him a tight hug. “Take care of omma and make sure she and your appa won't fight, okay?” He rubbed his head one last time and stood up again.

 

Soon, he walked to the entrance and waved at them one last time before boarding in.

 

It was a two hour travel to the Philippines and he was just listening to some random music on his phone while they were on the way. He also took self note of going on line tonight to see if Yeojin is on.

 

Ahn Yeojin was Jonghyun's ex wife, due to a situation where Jonghyun decided to choose his ex girlfriend and his son over his wife, Jonghyun and Yeojin had to separate. That was probably the main reason why Yeojin left the country and went somewhere else.

 

He and Yeojin became close during that moment because he was once in love with Soeun, Jonghyun's ex girlfriend, whom he chose over Yeojin. Minho, for almost six years, was so in love with Soeun but had to quickly move on when she got back with Jonghyun.

 

There were a lot of things that happen in the circle, but the point was they became friends probably because they understood the feelings of each other. However, Yeojin didn't tell him where she went and what she will be doing at that country. It has been two months but they chatted on line for like only three times since she left, and Yeojin didn't even bother telling her where she was, or maybe Minho didn't bother asking because he was happy enough that Yeojin was away and moving on with her life.

 

But since he's going to be in the same country as hers then might as well see each other if ever their schedules matched.

 

*** ***

 

He was told that a person will pick him up from the airport to take him to his unit that was provided by the school he was going to work for.

 

Eventually as he went down and approached the arrival area, he immediately saw a small banner which said, “Welcome to the Philippines, Mr. Choi Minho.” He went there quickly and approached the guy with a smiling face.

 

“Hello.” He said and bowed to the guy.

 

“Are you Mr. Choi Minho?” He nodded and the guy smiled even brighter. “Hello, sir. I am a faculty member of St. Anthony Academy and I was asked to pick you up so I could bring you to your unit. Should we go now?”

 

“Yes, of course.” He nodded and smiled again. He thought it would be hard to communicate because he had never been into the Philippines, but seeing that warm smile depicted on the guy's face, who he assumed is a bit younger than him, made Minho feel a bit more comfortable at the new and strange environment.

 

When they were about to get into the van, Minho suddenly remembered something. “Ah excuse me...” He called the attention of the guy who just opened the door for him. “Is it okay if we go to a nearest bookstore? I just like to buy some Travelling magazines so I could travel around during spare time.”

 

“There's no problem. We'll take you there, sir.”

 

“Oh, and please just call me Minho.” He said and entered the van with the guy. Later on, he introduced himself as Professor Christopher Santos, a faculty member from the English Department. He told Minho he could just call him Chris if he finds Christopher too long.

 

Like what he asked, they went into a bookstore and he quickly went out to buy some travel magazines. Lurking inside, he immediately found the travel section and went there.

 

There were a lot of magazines to choose from, and as he browsed few pages of each magazine, he figured out Philippines is rich in natural water resources such as falls, rivers, seas, and lakes.

 

“Some of those sceneries are a bit distant from the City...” Chris uttered as he was followed Minho inside maybe to help him out find something he would want to go into. “If you want, you can start by roaming around somewhere nearer... like... in Manila.”

 

“The capital?” Minho asked and he nodded. “What would I see there? Normally, capital cities would be the center of commercial system.”

 

“Historical sites.” Chris smiled and looked over the magazines preferably to find something which talks about the places he was referring to. “There are lots of Historical sites in Manila and the Government always makes sure it won't diminish the memory of the past. There's Luneta, a place where our national hero was shot in the back by the Spaniards. There's Intramuros, the walled City, and Fort Santiago... there are lots of things and I know you'll enjoy going there.”

 

“Ahh.. I see..” Minho said as he nodded and carefully listening.

 

“Here.” Finally, Chris saw a magazine about touring around Manila and the localities nearby. “This is perfect because it's a travel guide for Koreans like you. There is a hangul translation maybe for you to understand better.” He took it out of the shelf and gave it to Minho. “That would surely help you a lot.”

 

“Wow. Thanks.” He said and looked at the cover which said “Guide to Korean Travelers in Manila” He opened the magazine and started browsing the pages. Some of the places Chris said were in the magazine, and he realized it was written in a first point of view whereas a person was talking about her experience of going around the City.

 

As he flipped on the certain page, the familiar face welcomed him.

 

 

He looked at it closely and knew he was right. “Yeojin??” He uttered in surprise and browse more pages and saw more her face. “Ahn Yeojin...”

 

“You know that person?” Chris asked when he noticed his reaction.

 

“Well, yes... she's a friend.”

 

“It's a good thing. You could call her and ask what she could recommend you for travelling.” He said and looked at the same shelf where he took out the magazine. “There are more magazines and I think they release different issues of it depending on the place she visited. There are Guide for Cebu Travel, Guide for Bohol travel, and others.”

 

“Oh. Let's buy those issues.” He said which surprised Chris. “I'm getting all the issues of that magazine...”

 

For some reasons, he found it amusing that Yeojin was actually an author of a certain travelling magazine in the Philippines.

 

And he would definitely for that later when he gets on line on skype.


A/N: I had the thought in mind that Yeojin and Minho's story should take somewhere else, and because I only know one country, so I went with Philippines. Leave some comments!