A Big Surprise

Perfect Two

 “Something came up?” Minho looked at Yeojin as she looked like she was a bit confused while reading a message on her phone. Yeojin didn’t respond for quite a while so Minho just stared at her. They were in a restaurant having late lunch together.

 

“Nothing… I’m just a bit curious about omma’s message.” She paused and looked at Minho – blinking several times. “She said she has a surprise for me – and I’ll know about it once I get home.”

 

“Hmm. What could that be?” Minho asked getting curious as well. Yeojin shrugged and silently dialled her mom’s number. He patiently waited and silently listened to their conversation.

 

“But omma, it would be better if you tell it to me now. I am dying of curiosity!” She told her mom, but she sounded so excited on the other line and kept on telling that if she wants to know about it, then she should go home early. “But omma…”

 

“Enough with the date with your boyfriend, my dear… I know you’ll like my surprise.” She said and just then, her mother ended the call. “What?”

 

“What is it?”

 

“I don’t know.” She sighed and looked at her husband. “Minho-yah, can we go home for a while? I just need to see what surprise it was. Maybe omma cooked something for me or maybe a gift. I don’t know.”

 

“Sure. Sure. What about dropping you home and then picking you up later with your mom and then let’s have dinner with my family?” He raised his ring and smiled cutely. “Don’t you want this to tell them immediately?”

 

“I know. Let’s do that.” Yeojin said and winked as she let out a soft chuckle.

 

They went ahead as soon as they finished their meal. They agreed to drop Yeojin and then Minho would call for a reservation in the Pasta House for the whole family, then later on he’ll pick Yeojin and her mom together.

 

“Tell me about the surprise later, okay?” Yeojin smiled and nodded. He then reached for her back and pulled her closer for a soft peck on her lips. “See you.”

 

Just as soon as Yeojin entered the house she saw some luggages in the living area. She paused for a while thinking who came – and suddenly had a bright and excited expression as soon as she thought of someone. “Appa?!” Like a five year old child, she ran towards the stairway and rushed up to see if they are in their room. “Appa?! Appa, you came?!”

 

She opened the masters’ bedroom and there he found her mother and her father laughing together. They stopped and looked at Yeojin who seemed surprised and excited in front of the dorm. “I knew you’ll come right away. You like surprises, right?” Her mother winked and Yeojin’s eyes started to be filled with tears.

 

“Appa!” She went in and hugged her father tightly. He chuckled upon seeing how excited his daughter was so he even lifted her up in the air as she jumped over to give her a bear hug with her little body.

 

“Aigoo, I miss this baby!” He said as he looked at his beautiful daughter. It was already half a year ago since he last saw her. “Wow, you’re still beautiful.”

 

“Of course you’ll say that! You’re my father! Why didn’t you informed us about going home? We should’ve had picked you up!” She pouted and hit his father’s arm slightly like a cute child.

 

“Your mother did.” He said and winked over to Yeojin’s mother. Her jaw dropped in surprised and looked a bit dismayed that her mother didn’t even inform her about her father’s arrival.

 

“Your father already told me about this, but you surprised me when you come home without telling me, so to take my revenge, I didn’t tell you about your father’s arrival.” She said and the couple laughed as she pouted.

 

“Aaaaahhhh…. You’re teaming up against me again!” She whined and her father pulled her and her mother together for a tight hug. It was a picture of a happy family – that is finally put back together. “But I have one big bigger surprise.” She said emphasizing the word ‘bigger’.

 

“Big BIGGER surprise?” Her father looked at her with a frown. “What could that be, hmm?” He looked at the ceiling for a while as if he was thinking deeply, “Perhaps about my new future in law which I know by the name Choi Minho?”

 

Yeojin stood on a distance as he looked both to her mother and then her father. “You talk about Minho behind my back?” She lifted an eyebrow, and her father raised his hand in defence. “Because of that, you need to go with me for an arranged dinner with Minho’s parents.” Her father was about to say something, but she shut him by kissing his cheeks. “I love you, appa, and thank you for coming home on this very special day. Minho will pick up for the dinner tonight! Don’t forget!” She said, pulled out her phone and winked at both of them. “I am just going to make a call! Welcome home, daddy!” The last sentence she uttered was in her cute English accent.

 

She left the couple dumbfounded and confused. “Dinner tonight? Didn’t that girl realize her father needs to have some rest first? I came from Canada and the travel was almost 24 hours!” He complained though it didn’t sound bad. He was rather amused of his daughter’s actions. “Lucky for her that I know how well that Choi Minho is, plus he’s my favourite soccer player so that’s a bonus, but if I didn’t know him, then I won’t allow your daughter get into another relationship just like that.”

 

“But she’s almost 24 now, my dear…” His wife rubbed his back as if reminding him that Yeojin is already a full grown woman already.

 

“But she IS my one and only princess, and I don’t want anybody else hurting her.”

 

*** *** ***

 

Yeojin was busy preparing for the dinner date with all the family members when she received a message from Minho. She was about to call him when she remembered something: She actually forgot telling him the surprise was her father’s arrival. Yeojin was too excited on everything that is happening that she really forgot about Minho.

 

As she was thinking how to tell her without being so excited, Minho called. It was already 6pm. She supposed he’s not on his way to pick them up. “Minho-yah?”

 

“You didn’t call me about the surprise.” He said in a disappointing tone. “Anyways, tell me about it later. I’m here in front of your house… but Yeojin-ah… are you sure your mother likes me now? What if…”

 

“Ssshh, Minho, listen. Aside from omma… you need to meet another person.”

 

“Who?”

 

“Appa. I’m sorry I forgot to tell you he’s my mother’s surprise.” She bit her lips, waiting for Minho to say something.

 

“Oh. Then… it’s good! It’s good that he’s here, then it won’t make him mad that we didn’t inform him about us as well.” He smiled and talked in a reassuring tone.

 

“You’re not afraid of appa?”

 

“We’re cool. I talked to him a lot before about soccer. We became good friends before, right? Oh maybe you didn’t know because you were busy with someone else.” He chuckled as he was obviously in his light mood.

 

“Yah. Mr. Choi.” She pouted.

 

“But Mrs. Choi, do you mind opening up the door for me?” Minho asked as he was really just outside their door waiting for someone to open up for her.