Not in a Relationship

Perfect Two

 Yeojin woke up that morning because of some weird moans coming from the crib. She stood up, still rubbing her eyes, and looked over. “Aigoo~ Is my Minjin crying?” She smiled and took the puppy in her arms and cuddled with it. The puppy immediately stopped crying, and curled himself in her arms as if he finds it the most comfortable place ever. Yeojin chuckled and played with his fur. “I didn't know puppies cry, too. I'm sorry, dear, if you woke up ahead of me.” She talked as if Minjin would respond, “But I have to go out and make some breakfast for that guy over there who will have to go to school today.” She cuddled him for few more minutes before taking him back to his crib.

 

Yeojin almost jumped in surprise after finding Minho standing against the wall right beside her doorway. “Yah, you scared me!” She hissed and frowned. “What are you doing there?”

 

“Waiting for you.” Minho shrugged his shoulders and chuckled. “I'm hungry.”

 

“Fine, sir. I'm sorry for the long wait.” She acted like she was really sorry and rolled her eyes after and laughed. “I just thought maybe you wanted to cook again today just like yesterday.” She joked as she headed to the kitchen.

 

Minho followed her. “It's your job, after all.” He said. “Can you make me some kimchi pancakes?”

 

Yeojin nodded and went to the fridge to get the ingredients. Minho jumped over the counter and sat there. That action made Yeojin frown. “What are you doing there?”

 

“I want to watch you cook.”

 

“Don't you need to prepare yourself first? If I'm not mistaken, you have school today.”

 

“Actually, it's a National Holiday. They're commemorating the death of someone they consider a hero of the country.” He explained. “So there's no school, and the rest of my day is free.”

 

“I see.. I don't have to make your dinner then.”

 

“You still should! It's your work!” Minho whined like a baby and wiggled his feet as he was still sitting on the counter. “Ahhh... ppalli ~ I'm hungry~” Yeojin looked at him weirdly and she seemed disgusted. Minho then stopped and thought that he just embarrassed himself.

 

Yeojin then laughed and went beside him to chop the vegetables and other ingredients. “I didn't know you can do aegyo.” She teased and looked up to meet his eyes. “Can I see it again?”

 

“No way.” Minho hissed and frowned. “Stop teasing.”

 

“You don't really want me to go, do you?” Yeojin opened up the same topic they fought over with last night. “But I really am decided to go today. Later, after lunch.”

 

“You don't really need to go.” Minho said, still insisting for the last time.

 

Yeojin sighed and looked at him. “Are we fighting over this again?”

 

“I don't want you to win over this.”

 

“Please, Minho?”

 

“I want to be with...” Minho was about to say something but he paused. Yeojin didn't know why she suddenly got nervouse but looked away, trying to act like she was not anticipating the continuation of his sentence. “You know, honestly, I want to be with... with... with...”

 

“with?” She was impatient.

 

“hm.. Minjin. Right. Minjin.” All of a sudden, it was as if Minho finally had the right words to say. “I don't want to go far from Minjin. I want him beside me all the time. Can you not understand that?”

 

Yeojin sighed. If it was because she was disappointed or whatever, she didn't know. She shrugged her shoulders before answering. “You can come visit him sometime, but I'm sorry. I can't let him stay with you.”

 

“Is Shane okay with dogs? What if she doesn't like him and won't treat him nicely?”

 

“Shane's such a sweet girl. For sure she'll like a cute puppy around. And just look at Minjin. He has the most adorable face ever. No one would dare hurt him. I'm telling you.” She assured believing that Minho really only cared for the puppy.

 

“Can I take you there? To your apartment?”

 

“Are you sure? But you don't really need to do that.”

 

“Aish. Can't it just be regarded that I'm doing it only because I want to?” Minho jumped off the counter and stood straight. “Can't it also be that I don't want you to go only because I want you to stay? Can't we also just stop overthinking and just go with the flow? Let's just do what we want to do. Feel what we want to feel, just like how we did with the people we loved before.”

 

There were silence and both of them were just looking at each other – not even blinking. “I mean, Ahn Yeojin.. it is not fair for the both of us to force ourselves not to feel something that we might actually feel. Like seriously, you think you can really stop yourself once you learn liking me? And just like that, do you think I can actually stop myself from liking you, I mean, if just in case? Why do you have to distance yourself to me? What's wrong if you start liking me? Are you 100% sure that I'll just hurt you?”

 

“Wait.. Wait.. Wait.. slowly, can we discuss this one by one?” Yeojin closed her eyes and released a couple of deep breaths. “Firstly, I can't believe we're discussing things like falling in love with each other. This is funny.”

 

“You opened it up first. You admitted you want to leave me because you don't want to fall for me.”

 

“It's funny how you're against it. I am giving you the benefit.. like, can you really imagine...” She pointed him and herself. “I mean.. you and I together?” She frowned.

 

“But isn't that what you said while we were in the petshop? Minjin is you and I together!”

 

“YAH! That's not what I meant, okay?!” She shouted embarrassed. “Once and for all, let's settle things up. You and I have no chance together.”

 

“What? You are funny, Ahn Yeojin.” Minho shook his head and tried laughing, but failed since he ended up in a serious face. “This is such a ridiculous thing.”

 

“This is funny so let's end this. No one's gonna fall for the other, okay?” Yeojin closed her eyes tightly and groaned. “Just say yes so this will be done already!”

 

“Not answering.” Minho only said. “If you want to frustrate yourself over forcing yourself not to fall for me, then so be it. I won't give you any assurance or anything. After all, I can't control my actions or personality. If there are things I do that make you want to fall for me, then I have no responsibility about that. As for me, I am not helping you out in your strive to keep yourself from loving me.”

 

Yeojin threw sharp gazes and looked up adjusting to Minho's height. Minho looked down to meet her gaze, and little by little, stepping forward to close the gap between them. “Tell me...” He said almost whispering. He knew she could already hear them for they were just few inches apart now. Yeojin stood up to his shoulder so he leaned a bit to meet her face closer. “You felt something towards me after that kiss, right?” His playful tone and smile made Yeojin awkward.

 

She stomped her feet in defense and stepped back. “It's not like that. I'm telling you right now.. that feelings haven't even developed. I'm leaving.” She said, turned against him and ran out to her room.

 

“Whatever.” Minho shrugged his shoulders and continued what Yeojin left in the kitchen.

 

Around 15 minutes later, Yeojin came out with her luggage. It surprised Minho. “Yah! Who said you can leave already?!” He shouted but Yeojin didn't respond. She just straightly went to the door. “Yah! Yah! Yah!” Still holding the spatula, he ran to get her back. “Yah, Ahn Yeojin! I told you I'll take you there, right? Why are you leaving this early? Yah! Stop this!”

 

“You can't play with my feelings!” She shouted which made the neighbor peaked at the window. “I'm leaving!” As she turned to the road, an available cab arrived. She called it and immediately rode it, with Minjin, of course, in her arms.

 

“Ya-ya-yah!!!!!!!!! Seesh. Look at this woman.” He was pissed off that he didn't see an old woman from the neighborhood coming towards him.

 

“Your wife left? Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. You must have cheated on her.” She looked at Minho with weird pissed off expression and walked back.

 

He shook his head and frowned. “She doesn't even want to be in a relationship with me. What cheating?” He whispered and couldn't do anything but go back to his house... alone.