great escape

shh...still dreaming

Sehun’s sanctuary is the church near Anse Hospital.

 

Chanyeol takes him there every time Sehun ends up with stitches on his limbs and fractures in his fragile heart.

 

The atmosphere is pacifying. Equanimous. Almost as if there is a certain amount of veiled sorrow lurking at the corners. In this noiseless hall, filled with soothing candlelight, one is blessed. In this hall, away from the sins of humankind, one often feels cleansed and at ease. Sehun likes it when he feels at ease.

 

But why does Chanyeol feels like dying every time Sehun’s prayers reach his ears, each time more heart-wrenching than the last?

 

“Dear Lord, please look out for Han gege. He’s been through a lot for me. Please bless him with good health and success in his work. Please take away all of his pain and suffering. Place it on me instead. And the sorrow that is endowed upon father, please direct it to me. Father is still struck with great grief at the loss of omma, so please alleviate his pain too. I can endure it all so they can live in happiness and joy. They are all I have. Thank you, my God.”

 

Chanyeol doesn’t get it.

 

Sehun’s smiling.

 

Even when Luhan hurts him time and time again, Sehun’s smiling.

 

If anything, Chanyeol thought he’d have a better life without EXO. Without sasaeng fans following his every footstep and scrutinizing everything he does. Without getting by each day with only half an hour of decent sleep. He thought wrong. Saying iloveyou to a thousand fans is easier than saying those very words to Oh Se Hun. Easier than looking at Sehun breaking down before him, thrown around like a rag doll before his eyes, yet unable to do anything to help.

 

Somewhere along those lines, the doctors stopped asking. Where he got those scars. Where he got those bruises. Sehun’s answers would be the same. I fell. Almost too unbelievable to be credible. The doctors just looked at him, fixed him up and left without saying a word. The police didn’t give a . The social workers couldn’t care less about a privileged boy living in a huge- mansion in Gangnam. It is no coincidence that Wu Shi Han owns half of Anse Hospital’s shares and makes everyone shut up about his dirty little secret. It is no coincidence that everyone turns a blind eye on the abuse that’s happening right in front of them.

 

One of these days, Park Chan Yeol will punch the out of that rascal Luhan.

 

“Please bring omma back...I wish to see her, even if just once.”

 

Sehuna...what are you doing to yourself...I hardly understand you anymore.

 

“Canlie ge...” Sehun says, his voice barely above a whisper. He looks at Chanyeol desperately, eyes adorning a newfound fear, his lips trembling. Something’s wrong. CHanyeol can feel it itching against the neurons of his sensory cortex.

 

“What is it, Sehunnie? Are you hurt somewhere? Do you need something to drink?” Chanyeol says, a little frantically. Will Sehun turn into bubbles if he suddenly lose sight of the younger?

 

“No, hyung. That ahjussi over there. He keeps staring at us.” Sehun whispers as he aquints at the man in a black hoodie, sunglasses covered half of his face. Chanyeol thinks it strange that someone would dress so warmly inside this chapel, but he doesn’t seem like he would cause any harm.

 

“Don’t you worry, Sehun. I’m here. No one can harm you.”





 

///



 

“Don’t worry, Sehun. I’m here. No one can hurt you...”

 

“Jongin-hyung...”

 

“Jongin...hyung...”

 

“Does it hurt?”

 

The voice was calming. It takes the pain away.

 

“Does it hurt now?”

 

Sehun hears it in his dreams. When things get rough and life gets difficult, that person holds him up and hugs him close.

 

He can almost see the other’s face.

 

He can almost reach out to the owner of that beautiful voice, but the moment they touch, he wakes up.


“I will kiss it better until it doesn’t hurt anymore...”



///


“What do you mean you don’t know who Suho ahjussi is?” Jongin slams his fist on the dining table, earning himself a deadly glare from Uncle Kyungsoo who has never seemed so angry for as long as he’s lived.


“I meant what I said, Jongin-ah. Now get out of my kitchen before I slap you with this spatula!” Kyungsoo brandished the object of weaponry before Jongin, his voice stern and void of emotion. The atmosphere is full of wrath and tension. It’s almost dreadful that it’s almost Thanksgiving, Jongin’s just returned from 4 years studying in the States, and they’ve already got into a fight.


“What is going on with you? What is going on with everybody? Suho ahjussi and his son, Sehun, has been living here for years! How do you not know who they are?’ Jongin reasoned, his mind is spinning a hundred miles per hour. Questions are overwhelming him, overflowing his cup of curiosity, threatening to explode. What’s happened for the past 4 years? What’s happened to Sehun? What’s happened to his Uncle who barely looked like himself anymore? Kyungsoo suddenly looks old to Jongin’s eyes.


“Are you insane, Kim Jong In? Did medical school finally make you crack? It’s just you, me, and Jongdae in this house. You know how I never let strangers in! Now stop asking questions!” Kyungsoo throws the kitchen utensil to Jongin’s direction which the latter dodges skillfully.


The spatula hits the kitchen floor with a loud ‘thud’, followed by an indignant silence. No one says a word. Why are they so mad? What are they so mad about? Only glares are exchanged between the two as they both seethe in inexplicable anger. Jongin storms out of the room, almost pulling out all the hairs on his scalp, before kicking the door to his bedroom open in frustration.


By 9:00PM, Jongin has successfully flipped the storage room up-side-down, with an empty stomach. He’s convinced that Sehun and Suho Ahjussi used to live in this place, but there are no traces of them ever setting foot here. All of their belongings are gone, replaced by heaps of carton boxes, sewing machines and old mannequins that Kyungsoo stopped using when he quitted being a fashion designer. Jongin feels regret that his Uncle puts an end to his lifelong dream, but he can do nothing to help with the situation.


“I’m sure it’s in here! Sehun’s hangul notebooks!” Jongin searches every nook and cranny for that very object. He used to give Sehun writing exercises in there until the younger could master hangul. But he can’t find it. It’s not there. It’s like it’s never there.


“There’s nothing in there, Jongin. It’s our storage room. It’s been like this since forever. Now go out and eat dinner or you’re out of the streets tonight.”


Frustrated, Jongin storms out of the room and finds comfort in the bedroom that turns cold at night. Texting his twin brother Taemin quickly, Jongin’s skin itches for an immediate response. He can’t wait any longer. The anticipation is killing him.


To: Taebong

Yo. U have Chanyeol’s phone #?


To: Kkamjong

Yea, why


To: Taebong

Just gimme.


Every beep of his phone matters. Every beep has Jongin jolts awake from his reverie. He has to know the truth. And Park Chan Yeol is the only one who can help him.


“Park Chan Yeol, we need to talk.”





///



Chanyeol leans in, slowly, his fingers twitching. Sehun’s lips are sweet like strawberries and soft like cotton, but hesitating on Chanyeol’s lips. Time stops. The world ceases to spin. The moment goes by in slow motion. Just the two of them, like this, nothing more and nothing less.


But when tears start to form on the brim of the  younger’s eyes, Chanyeol pulls away in horror.


What is he doing?


Why is he crossing the very line that he curses Luhan for going over?


Why is he suddenly the Luhan version 2 now, using Sehun like this, forcing Sehun to do things against his will?


Chanyeol is greedy. He doesn’t want to share. He doesn’t want anyone else to touch Sehun. His Sehun. But if Sehun doesn’t want him, then why is he still trying?


Standing up abruptly with shaky feet, Chanyeol runs out of the chapel, clutching his aching chest, leaving behind a confused young boy all by himself.


Sehuna...I’m sorry...


He runs as far as his legs take him. Away from his heart throb. But the pain, the pain doesn’t go away.









Junmyun looks away from the pair of lovebirds sitting a few rows in front of him. They are kissing, the taller’s hands on the sides of the shorter’s face. The sight looks oddly familiar. Has he seen this before?


Well, yes, he’s been there, done that.


“Sehuna...Please, don’t trust too easily, don’t fall in love too fast. I don’t want you to make the same mistakes I did...”


Wiping his tears away, Junmyun stands up, his heart can no longer take the sting. He rushes into the restroom after giving the child sitting beside him a pat on the head.


Junmyun feels dizzy all of a sudden. It’s like twenty one years of hardship is coming back full force, its after images haunting him in his line of vision. Now he’s paying the price. Someone just has to.










“Good morning, little one. What’s your name?” Sehun looks expectantly at the young boy standing in front of the men’s bathroom. He is wearing a cute Iron Man shirt and eyes a beautiful cerulean. Sehun has always liked kids. But apparently the kid doesn’t like him.


“Junma says not to talk to strangers.” The boy huffs before walking away.


Junma?


Why does the name bring a sharp sting to his heart?


“Oh...”


“Jinho-yah, let’s go,” The man Sehun saw earlier appears from the men’s restroom and hauls the little boy up in his arms. He gives Sehun a brief glance before walking away. Something about him makes Sehun wonder.


“Good day, sir.” Sehun says with inexplicable joy. But the man only nods and turns on his heel.


“Wait!”


“What is that, young man?”


“N-nothing. I just thought you look like someone I knew.”


Sehun stammers, his heart suddenly racing a hundred miles per hour. It is then that he studies the man more. He couldn’t have been older than his own father, Wu Yi Fan. Sehun swears he has seen this person before, but can’t put a finger on it. Is he someone from his past? Can he help Sehun remember?


“Well, I have lived in the United States  all my life, and it doesn’t seem as if I have seen you before, young man.”


Sehun’s face fell. Maybe his mind is playing tricks on him again. He’s almost given up on trying to remember, and instead focusing more on making new memories with his family. But that voice in his dreams, that beautiful, alleviating voice, he has to trace his steps back to it.


“Sehunnie!”


Sehun turns back to the source of the voice. His eyes glow at the sight of Chanyeol who has this apologetic look on his face.


“Looks like your boyfriend is calling you, Sehun-ssi.” The man in black hoodie says caustically, before whispering so only the two of them can hear. “I would suggest you not give your all to him. He doesn’t look like the faithful type. And you, young man, you look like you will end up hurting yourself.


“What are you talking about?”


“You know what I mean, right young man?”


The man doesn’t even give Chanyeol a glance when the giant approaches them. Sehun’s heart aches at the accusation.


“And I would suggest you two not make out at the church, of all places. This is a holy place, not some movie theatre. There are kids who don’t need to see what’s not to be seen.” The man scowls and makes his way out of the chapel.


Sehun’s eyes tear up without him knowing. Why is he sad about this? It’s nothing new. He’s seen so many homophobic people already, so why does this one opinion matters. Sehun doesn’t know why, but the tears won’t stop flowing from his retinas. Chanyeol has to piggy-backs him home, because Sehun could hardly walk himself.






“Come on, Jinho-yah. Daddy’s waiting.”


When Junmyun turns his back on Sehun, tears streaming down his face, he wishes that he never had to leave.


“Junma...why are you crying?”


“I’m not crying. Something got in my eye.”


///



 

a/n: Jino was rumoured to be an EXO member before debut

:

but I am glad he isn't. He is 5 days younger than Sehun. And I need my daily dose of milky skin, bratty attitude and S-line body of my favorite maknae Oh Se Hun okeiiiii

 

//gets shot twice//

 

 

just a warning, next chapter is a bit darkkk //evil laugh//