Back Home

The Chase

“We’re actually going home? Are you out of your mind?!” Sungyeol said from beside her.

“Yeolie, please. Mom wants to see us and Myungsoo. Give her a chance,” Yoona said as she focused driving on the road.

“No, Yoona. She didn’t give me a chance when Dad threw me out. She didn’t even give me a second glance,” he said stubbornly.

“Sungyeol, you know Mom loves you-“

“She sided with Dad, Yoona. She sided with Dad,”

“Just give her a chance, Yeolie.”

After a while, he said, “This has something to do with Donghae, doesn’t it?”

She turned to look at her brother, “It has nothing to do with him.”

“Really? What are the odds that the minute he goes away for the weekend, you suddenly want to go home to Koraima, huh?” Donghae had told that he needed to go somewhere to ‘take care of a few businesses’. It was a few days after she had overheard the phone call. She did not confront him with it but when she looked at his phone, he seemed to be calling a certain Tiffany every single day.

“I wanted to see Mom.”

“Are you running away from him again?”

“I’m not run-“

“Did you guys fight?”

“We didn’t, Sungyeol. Just drop it.”

The remainder of the ride was in silence. Myungsoo woke up halfway and demanded to be fed. When they finally arrived in Koraima, it was near nighttime. Their house was a little far up the road. It was nearer to the city exit and so none of the people in their place noticed them arriving. The next house was Donghae’s which was down the road and a little nearer to the city proper.

When she stopped the engine, their mother was already on the porch, tears in her eyes. She climbed out first and her mother quickly walked over and pulled her to a hug.

“Oh god, I missed you so much,” Yuri said, her tears running down her cheek.

“Mom, stop crying,” she chuckled. She felt her mother tense suddenly. When she followed her line of sight, she noticed that she was looking at Sungyeol, who was staring ahead, not moving from inside the car. Myungsoo was in his arms, bouncing to go out.

She opened the door by the driver’s side. “Do you want me to pull you out?”

“I told you Yoona. We’re not going down.”

“You are not bringing Myungsoo into this,” she said sternly. “Come here, baby,” she turned to Myungsoo, who in turn, struggled to get out of his father’s grasp. When he started crying, Sungyeol finally let go.

Yuri went nearer to Myungsoo, crying and laughing at the same time. Myungsoo, who was not familiar with her, tightened his grip on Yoona’s neck. After minutes of sweet-talking and bribery, Myungsoo finally obliged to being held by Yuri, who was more than ecstatic to finally get to hold her grandson.

 After a while, Yoona started walking to the house, leaving Yuri and Sungyeol together to talk.

She went in to find the house the same way they had left it. She looked back at the car to see her mother crying and Sungyeol physically rejecting her touch.

“Omma, wee,” Myungsoo suddenly said. She decided to leave the two alone and made her way to the bathroom with the little squirming child in her arms.

“Yoona, is that you?” She turned to see her father standing in the kitchen, a glass of water in his hands. She put down Myungsoo and ran to hug her dad. She was more of a daddy’s girl when she was young.

“Is this- Is that Myungsoo?” her father spluttered. He was looking at Myungsoo like he was one of her mom’s figurines: lovely to look at, but he really wouldn’t risk holding.

“He doesn’t bite dad.” She saw her father literally gulp. She went back to Myungsoo, who looked confused at the sudden change in surroundings. “Honey, say halbae.”

“Habe,” the little child said with his brows furrowed.

She heard her father chuckle from behind her. He was coming closer, squatting down to be the same level as Myungsoo’s eyesight. “Hey there kiddo.” He said with love and gentleness.

Myungsoo went nearer and touched the eyeglasses that were perched on Minho’s nose. Minho chuckled and handed it over to Myungsoo who was looking at it curiously. After a while, he it back to Minho, who was looking at him adorably, and turned to Yoona, “Omma, wee.”

“He calls you mother?” Minho asked incredulously.

“He needs a mother figure, dad. Sungyeol can’t be two.” She scooped the boy in her arms. “We’re going to the bathroom. His diapers need changing.”

“But he said, wee.” His father said. “Are you potty training him this early?”

“It’s his way of telling us that his diaper’s full and he’s getting irritated. He learned the hard way. Sungyeol couldn’t distinguish a full diaper before.” She made her way to the bathroom, her father in tow.

Minho paused before saying, “Sungyeol takes care of him?”

“He’s done a lot for this kid, Dad. Give him credit for that.”

 

“So tell me Yoona, how’s work?” Yuri asked casually, trying to make small talk. It was the first time in years that the Im family had sat around the table for dinner. But the casual chatter from before had been replaced by the silent clatter of spoons and plates.

After their talk, Yuri and Sungyeol came inside the house with Yuri’s hands around her son’s arm. He was smiling as he talked about Myungsoo’s firsts. Yoona thought it was a beautiful sight and hoped that this would continue on. But the minute Sungyeol saw his dad, his face changed from that of joy to hatred. Minho, on the other hand had no idea how to react to him. He stood there, with an odd look while staring at his own son. Myungsoo managed to break the silent exchange when he fell face first to the floor. Sungyeol quickly rushed over, beating Minho and Yoona to it and helped the child stand up. Scooping Myungsoo in his arms, Sungyeol quickly excused himself and went upstairs to stay in his room.

“It’s fine. Exhausting, but very very fulfilling,” Yoona smiled to her mom. The rest of dinner was filled with small chat from Yoona and Yuri, and a few cuteness from Myungsoo while Minho and Sungyeol remained silent. Sungyeol looked like he wanted to shove all the food in Myungsoo’s mouth so they can leave early.

Yuri and Yoona left the two alone to talk while they prepared their dessert. Minutes later, Minho stood in the doorway, sighing.

“Honey, what are you doing here? Go and stay with Sungyeol,” Yuri said worriedly.

“He already excused himself,” Minho said sadly.

“Honey...”

“Yuri, look. I’m trying my best, alright? I did the boy wrong. I really don’t expect him to forgive me that easily,” he said walking out.

Yuri sighed and said to her daughter, “Your father is very very stubborn. I guess that’s where Sungyeol gets it from.”

“It’s a good thing we have a gentle mother like you, mom.” She said to Yuri. “I’ll talk to Sungyeol, he’ll come around.”

 

 

“Sungyeol,” She said as she stood behind her brother and leaned her forehead on his back. “At least talk to him. He’s trying.”

“Noona, it’s not that easy,” he sighed. He looked at the dark sky and said, “Remember when we were kids? And we’d go to that playground together with Siwon and Hae. Then you and Hae would always act like you’re ten times older than us?” He turned around to look at his sister.

“Yah! Mom told me to watch over you,” she chuckled.

“I know. I remember that time to be the only time I didn’t need to worry about things. Because you and Hae were there. And I said, if I was ever going to be a parent, I’d want to be like the two of you back then.”

“Yeolie...”

“The two of you never left us alone. I would always feel secured whenever you’re there. Like, nothing bad is going to happen because my noona is here. Because you wouldn’t leave me.” Tears began to fall from his eyes as he watched his sister cry as well. “Dad left me, noona. The time, the only time that I needed him more than I needed you, he left me. You see how this is so hard for me? I only needed him that one time. But no. There was no security, no love, no- not even sympathy from him.”

“Yeolie, it’s not-“

“No Yoona. No matter how hard I try to forgive him, I always end up thinking that he didn’t care if his grandson dies from hunger or the cold. He was never a role model for me, noona. He wasn’t like you. He was never a father to me.”

 

 

She sat by her window that night, thinking of Sungyeol’s words. They retreated to their own rooms after crying their eyes out for almost an hour, talking about how they were back when they were kids and how different life is right now.

Unconsciously, her eyes drifted over to the house below theirs. It was brightly lit and she imagined Uncle Hyuk running around the house, trying to get everything together. Aunt Hyo would be sitting in her wheelchair, probably trying her best to help Uncle Hyuk around. Siwon would probably be by the sofa, reading another book. She smiled at the thought of the Lee family and wondered how it would be if Donghae was there.

She didn’t exactly know where Donghae went to that weekend, only that he was taking care of some business he had. A tear fell as she felt that stab in her heart when she remembered the phone call. She could not decipher what it meant but she had a feeling it was only bound to break her heart.

She looked back at the house to see a car coming in the driveway. She strained to see who it was only to be shocked when she saw Donghae walking up the driveway. She saw the door burst open to reveal a girl, probably their age with curly black hair and milky white skin. She bounced over, gave Donghae a kiss on the cheek, and hugged him. Her breath hitched when she saw Donghae hook an arm around the girl’s waist and they walked together towards the house.

Tears began to flow freely from her eyes and she could not describe the intensity of the pain she felt. She crawled over to her bed and cried herself to sleep, muffling her screams on her pillow.

 

 


Another sad chapter and yet, here I am with funny pictures of our chodings! The lovely, oh so adorable family.

sc01452.jpg?w=529 GrandpaYeol.png 

316203_1320638695190_400_300.jpg minho-frog.jpg?w=960 <- Minyul FTW

 

So I recently read a HaeFany fic. It was super duper cuuuuute! I just can't remember the fic name, though. Sad. But seriously. I didn't know HaeFany exists. Sorry HaeFany supporters! I made this story twist for you guys! :D Although, I still wouldn't be tagging HaeFany. I don't want to have haters again.