Summer Paradise

The Chase

“And who are you?” Heechul asked from behind her. She could not move. Donghae was looking at her directly. He hadn’t changed a lot. Taller and more built. But still, his face still looks like that of an angel.

“I always thought I was an exception. I had expected that to change. But I didn’t expect you to choose a man over Jessica, especially not the man she was going to get married to. I never thought you’d be the one to break relationships,” Donghae said while looking at the girl he had loved since forever. It had taken a lot of courage for him to go near her, only to find out she was having an affair with what he reckons to be Jessica’s fiancé. When she didn’t deny anything he said, he looked up at the man behind her and said before walking away, “Me? Apparently, I’m a nobody now.”

Yoona was watching Donghae leave. The tears that she had stopped from coming out, was now falling like a waterfall. She hadn’t seen him for three years and as if history repeats itself, he again walks away angry at her.

 

“Let’s go to that shop!” Yoona said as she pulled him towards a bakery. “They seem delicious!”

Donghae chuckled beside her, putting an arm around her shoulders. “Which one do you want?”

“That one with the heart on it,” she points.

They walked hand in hand along the beach, alternately feeding each other with the bread that they bought. It was a summer and they both decided to spend it with each other in Leruthia. They were entering their last year in college and both knew that they would soon be busy. With him taking up engineering and Yoona with fashion design, he knew that they needed the time away from all the stress.

He woke up the next morning to the sound of someone vomiting. Still and groggy, he walked towards the bathroom to see his girlfriend bent over the toilet. He rushed over and rubbed her back. “Oh god Yoona, what’s wrong?” he asked hurriedly. He tried to keep her hair out of her face.

“I don’t know, must be the bread.” She said as she stood up and walked towards the sink.

“Are you alright now?” he asked. “Do you want me to buy medicine for you?”

“I’m fine,” she said as she washed her face. She straightened up to see his reflection in the mirror. He stood a few feet behind her, hair disheveled and stark . His face was etched with worry. But he was still as marvelous as Adonis.

“Lost your shirt?” she asked, looking at him in the mirror.

He smirked and walked towards her, his hands going around her waist. “I think I found it,” he said, lifting the shirt above her head.

 

When the next morning he woke up to find her vomiting again, he insisted that they go to a doctor. She refused at first with the thought that she’d be ruining their trip. When he finally convinced her, she was already having her own speculations.

“Well, it isn’t the stomach flu. You’re 2 months on your way,” the doctor across the table said with an unsure smile.

The couple looked at her shockingly. It was Donghae that regained his speech first, “You mean she’s- she’s-“

“I’m freaking pregnant?!” Yoona said suddenly.

“I can see this came as a shock to both of you. The test results are indicative of a pregnancy. We’d have to do another test if you want to be sure but I’m pretty sure of the results already. This is a critical time for both the mother and the baby. If you like, you can come back to me and I’d discuss with you what you need to know. In the meantime, I’ll order the test for you,” the doctor said before exiting the room, leaving the two alone.

Yoona knew that the baby was unexpected and may be unaccepted by both their families. But just the thought of having the product of their love with each other inside her made her feel euphoric. She looked at Donghae and tried to gauge his reaction. His mouth was still hanging open and he was staring off into space.

He moved a fraction and caught a glimpse of her staring at him with a look of worry. He turned and caught her face in his hands, giving her a long kiss. “I love you,” he said over and over again.

They sat beside each other that night, staring into the sky. Donghae put his arms around her as the breeze caressed her skinny frame. “We should probably tell our parents.”

“I know,” Yoona said quietly. “They’re so going to kill me.”

“They won’t. I’d protect you,” he said, resting her head on his shoulders. “Let’s get away from here.”

“Alright. It’s freezing,” she said as she stood up.

“No. I mean, let’s run away. My dad might be angry at first, but I’d assure him I won’t ask for support. I’m more afraid about yours.” He brushed away the sand that stuck to his shorts.

“What do you mean? We can’t go away.”

“We can actually. We’re both of legal age. You have to continue school, of course. I’d get a job and maybe stop for a year to prepare for the baby.”

“You can’t stop school. Not now. We’re in our final year.”

“I have to. We have to look for a place of our own, too. Somewhere near school.”

“Donghae...”

“I’m sure our parents would be mad, but they’ll come around. We won’t be running away forever. Just for a year or two maybe.”

“I don’t know...” She wanted to, but she knows that she can’t. She shouldn’t.

“Baby, come on. We can do this.”

“No we can’t. You’re not giving all that up for me. And Siwon? What happens to him then?”

“Siwon would be fine. He can take care of himself now,” he said grimly.

“And your mom? What would happen to Aunt Hyo? She’d have to take care of Siwon too.”

Donghae was silent for a while. He didn’t know what was going inside Yoona’s head. She should be happy. Why isn’t she happy? “I’m doing this for the baby. For our baby,” he said, taking a step towards her.

She stepped back and turned her head towards the sea, “Well I can’t. We know the baby’s unexpected. And I can’t give up my career for it.”

“What are you talking about?”

“I can’t quit school.”

“You don’t have to. I’d be earning for both of us.”

“No you see, I’d have to quit school. I can’t tire myself studying because of the baby. And then there’s the pregnancy itself. Sooner or later, I’d have to quit school. And I don’t know if I can do that. I don’t know if I can give that up.”

“Yoona-“

“I want an abortion.”

 

“Yoona, who was that?” Heechul’s voice brought her back from her reverie.

“What are you still doing here?” Yoona wiped the tears that were falling from her eyes. That was three years ago. She should be more concerned of the now.

“I-“

The slap resounded around the room and everybody turned to look at them. Heechul was holding his cheek and was looking at her sadly. “That’s for breaking my best friend’s heart. Get lost,” she said, walking away.


Two updates in a day: so not meeee. :)) Hope you enjoy(?) this one. :D Tell me what you think. :D

 

Shout out to Yoona0330! Thank you so much for voting! Me loves ya. :D