What If

The Chase

“Well, there goes everything I worked for,” Yoona exclaimed frustratingly. “Why can’t I get anything right in my life?” she said in despair.

Heechul, who was quietly sitting in the chair beside her, wrapped an arm around her skinny shoulders and said, “You got me right, love.”

“Well if I really did get you right, then you’d be spending more time working rather than flirting,” she scowled.

He chuckled, “You officially need a break. Come on.” Standing up, he grabbed Yoona’s hand and headed out the building.

 

Contrary to her mood, the weather outside was nice. For the first time in days, the snow stopped falling and the golden sun was doing its best to shed light upon their wintry day. The brightness of it all stunned her as she inhaled the smell of roses.

“You should really stop wearing my perfume,” she exclaimed. Heechul stopped walking and turned to look at her with one eyebrow raised. Clearly, her mood is finally getting to him.

“You told me the smell suits me,” he said patiently.

“It does,” Yoona said. The contented look on Heechul already made her regret her words. “It’s just that it doesn’t do well in the winter.”

Heechul shook his head in disbelief, trying to push his patience a little bit longer. “Remind me next time we go out.”

“I’m sorry. I’m just on edge. That stupid company’s not doing me any good but giving me and more ,” she bowed her head in hopelessness. “I want to quit but they won’t let me.”

“Of course they won’t. You’re their best talent.” Heechul said as he pulled her to walk again. He’d gone through this conversation lots of times before that he already know what she’s about to say next. “And don’t tell me that you aren’t because I have vowed to be with you forever and you giving me all that is straining my willpower.”

“Your words hurt me, love.”

“I hope it does.”

“Harsh.”

He turned to find her biting her lower lip at his words. He chuckled, bringing his hand up to tug the lip out of its misery. “I know I’m not Christian Grey who bangs people who does that but I am Kim Heechul. And you know what I can do.”

“Well, we wouldn’t want that to happen in public, don’t we?” she smiled flirtingly at him. She stalked off, leaving him smirking to himself.

“You are certainly something, Im Yoona. One special kind of something.”

 

 

“There’s a guy on the other table who is seriously staring at your...hair.” Heechul asked as they both drank their coffee.

“My hair? Why? Is something the matter with it?”

“Nah. But his eyes are glued to you. That, or he has the hots for me,” he smirked.

“Oh get over yourself,” she exclaimed. “Mind being the lovey-dovey hunky boyfriend and chase him out?”

“Uh, and risk getting sent out from the cafe again? Not a chance.”

“You’re pretty much useless,” she huffed. She wanted to turn and look but she knows that would be too obvious.

“He’s gone,” Heechul suddenly exclaimed. “I do have a feeling that I saw him from somewhere though.”

“I wish I would’ve seen what he looked like. He might be somebody I knew,”

“You just wanted an ego boost.”

“Something you clearly can’t give me,” she stuck out her tongue at him.

“Do you want me staring at you while you work?” he asked. She shook his head at him. “Thought so.”

“But I certainly wouldn’t mind if you did your job instead of watching me turn my life into ruins,” she said, looking at him pointedly.

“Oh but I love watching you work. It’s more interesting than mine,” he grinned.

 

 

At the age of 24, Im Yoona had been and still is the most sought-after fashion designer in the whole of Kaiza. With tons of labels and agencies wanting to take her in after graduation, she never really enjoyed a life of pure bliss; stress and worry accompanied her every single day. As she walked home that night, she couldn’t help going back to that summer before she entered her senior year in college. It was probably the only time that she spent carefree. Probably the only time that she lost control and let her heart act rather than her mind.

 

She shook her head of nostalgic memories as she walked up the steps to her flat. At her age and with her wealth, she should be circling the world right now. Her parents weren’t that rich but they were rich enough to support her in her endeavors. Until she started working, she had been the party kid-always up for adventure, always going to somewhere. She longed to have that kind of life again, a life without worries and deadlines. But then, how can she leave the only thing that’s probably keeping her from giving up on her life?

 

As she stepped out of the elevator, she can’t help but wonder how her life would have been if she chose differently that summer night. Would she still be here? Would she still be designing and doing the thing she loved the most?

 

Putting her keys to her door, she vaguely wonders what all the noise inside was about. But then, her nostalgia were keeping her from thinking critically before she opened the door. In fact, the nostalgic feeling was strong enough that it kept her from reacting to the scene in front of her: Heechul was on the couch with her almost roommate, Jessica.