Boyfriend

The Chase

Yoona looked pointedly at them before stating, “I thought I said no monkey business on the couch.”

Jessica squealed and ran to give her a hug. She was ecstatic about the news she was to tell Yoona and could not contain her excitement anymore. “Oh Yoona Yoona Yoona. Guess what. Come on. Guess.”

“What?” Yoona asked incredulously. Heechul was on the couch, looking smugly at the two girls.

“We’re getting marrrieeeeeeeeed!” Jessica squealed while bouncing up and down. She waved her engagement ring ecstatically in the air while trying to share her happiness to her best friend. The look on Yoona’s face was enough to make her drop to the floor from laughing.

“Oh god, seriously?” Yoona asked, literally hanging open. She looked at the two and tried to look for the telltale signs of a prank.

“Seriously,” Heechul said as he stood up. He came up behind Jessica and pulled her up to her feet. He placed both arms on her waist and grinned. He knew Yoona loved surprises, but never surprises like these. She definitely did not see this coming.

“Oh my god Jess! That’s great!” she bounced along with her best friend who was near tears. “When? Where? Oh my god. I am totally designing your gown!”

“Of course you are! And pretty please pick everything with meeee?” she said in her high pitched voice.

“Aren’t the couple supposed to do that?” Yoona asked, setting her bag on the kitchen counter.

“I know, but you can’t really trust Heechul to help me plan my dream wedding, don’t you? I mean, Yoong, we’re talking about a wedding, my wedding, the wedding I’ve been dreaming about since we were kids. You know what I want as much as I do.”

“Alright, of course I will,” she said in defeat. Jessica hugged her in delight before exiting the room, probably to call on her other friends.

“She wanted to tell you before anybody else,” Heechul said from behind her.

She chuckled and faced him, “Didn’t see this one coming. Your bank account ready for this?”

“Thanks to you, it is,” he smirked. Heechul was one of the few men that Yoona kept close all these years. He was a fashion designer, a bankrupt fashion designer when the two met. But Yoona saw the talent in his hands and decided to take him in as one of her staff. Although an affair sparked between them during their first year of acquaintance, both were quick to call it quits when it started to interfere with their work.

Their relationship was not one of deeper roots. They were just both attractive, single and available both at the same time. The affair itself did not last for more than a few weeks, especially when Jessica confessed of her feelings for him. She was the first one to let go, not wanting to hurt the person she loves.

Jessica and Yoona had been the best of friends since way back middle school. When Jessica first transferred to her school, she was a shy little girl from America. Yoona was tasked by her mother, who was then the English teacher, to help the shy girl adjust to her new life. Ever since then, they were practically inseparable.

“Thanks for not letting me go.” Heechul’s voice snapped her back from her reverie. She made a drastic move a few weeks back when a few of her unreleased designs suddenly leaked to the market. Suspecting that the leak came from one of her staff, the LE, where she currently works, decided to pull off all her staff and replace them with new one. Heechul was the only one whom she defended and managed to keep. It had nothing to do with him being Jessica’s boyfriend. Heechul was extraordinarily talented. He can pick out good fabrics and patterns from thousands of copies and can turn them into a complete replica of her design. He can turn one of her weird designs to something likeable to the public.

“Well, if you promise not to be distracted because of your upcoming wedding, then I might just not bill you from my wedding planning services,” she chuckled.

 

 

“Okay, seriously. I have no idea why you even brought me with you.” Yoona scowled at the lovebirds. They were currently at the airport, waiting for their luggage to come. After weeks of fighting it out with Heechul, Jessica finally let go of her dream wedding plans and decided to have a simple wedding in Leruthia.

“Because I need you beside me or else I’m afraid I’d be a runaway bride,” Jessica smiled at her from the arms of her soon-to-be-husband. “And, you’re my bridesmaid.”

“Well if I knew you’d be doing your honeymoon even before the wedding itself, I should have just met you at the chapel,” she pouted. All throughout the trip, the couple could not keep their hands away from each other.

Jessica tried her best not to let her best friend spoil her mood. This was it, the day she will get married. She walked up and hugged Yoona, immediately feeling her calm down. “Want to party tonight? There’s a cool bar near our hotel.”

“Party,” Yoona scoffed, “This is probably a way to ditch me off,.”

“Yoongie,” she pouted.

“Alright alright. We’re going to parteeeeey tonight.” Trying her best to lift her mood, Yoona wondered if it really was a good idea to go to the city that never stops as the third wheel.

 

 

“I need the boyfriend,” Yoona burst inside the room, catching Jessica and Heechul amidst a heated bed exchange. They were at a party held by one of Jessica’s friends.

“Why? What happened?” Jessica worriedly sat up as Heechul grunted.

“He’s out there,” Yoona said simply. Jessica could see her friend’s face go paler by the second. She was worried for her, it had been three years since it all happened. She saw how it ruined her friend’s life. And him being down there and Yoona’s worries meant that he still affects her the same as the first time.

Jessica pushed Heechul off the bed. “Go help her. I’d go look for Hyo.”

Heechul grunted and bent down to grab his shirt. When he approached Yoona, she was shaking, her beautiful face pale in the bright light. He grabbed her hand and pulled her towards the bar.

“What should I do?” he asked, caressing her hand to try to make her relax. “Punch him in the face? What did he do anyway?”

“He’s- he- oh just be here please. He won’t approach me if he sees I’m with a guy.”

“Oh so you mean, be the boyfriend again?” Heechul smirked. Yoona was restless, glancing everywhere. He gave her a quick hug. “Relax.”

Yoona sighed and hugged Heechul back. She could not shake the uneasy feeling of longing and love mixed with shame and regret. She didn’t want to face him, not now. Even after three years, her self-inflicted wounds are still fresh. “Yes please. Be the boyfriend. Just for tonight.”

He chuckled and placed his hand by her waist, “Tonight. The night before I get married.”

Yoona covered her face in her hands, “Oh gosh. This is so selfish of me. This shouldn’t be about me. This should be about you and Jess.” She looked up and tried to give Heechul a forgive-me-face. “I’m terribly sorry. Can you just drop me back to the hotel? Then I’d be off your backs.”

“Not unless you don’t want to.” Heechul said seriously. His brows furrowed as he tried to calm his beating heart.

“No really. It’s alright. Just drop me off please?” Yoona asked sincerely. She didn’t want to ruin her best friend’s night, so she might as well go back to the hotel rather than causing them trouble here.

“No. I mean. Not unless you tell me not to.”

“But I am asking you to send me back.” There was something in Heechul’s face that kept Yoona thinking that this isn’t something good.

“Get married. Not unless you tell me not to get married,” Heechul said suddenly. There it is. Finally, he’d said it.

“What- What are you talking about?” Yoona stuttered in confusion. How can she want to call off the wedding of her best friend that would be happening a few hours from now?

“Give me a reason not to get married. Just tell me and I won’t,” Heechul said, hoping she’d understand what he wanted to say.

“What are you talking about? You’re getting married tomorrow. If there was a reason that you shouldn’t go through with it, shouldn’t you have thought about it now?”

Apparently, Yoona didn’t understand what he meant. He grabbed her hand and placed it on his chest, making her feel his heart drumming. “Give me a reason not to get married.”

Confusion to realization to sadness then rejection, he could see in Yoona’s face what the next thing that would happen was.

“I’m sorry. But Hee-“

“Yoo-“

“Oh gosh Jess,” Yoona said suddenly, cutting whatever Heechul wanted to say. He turns around to find Jessica staring at them, tears running down her face.

“I’ll see you back in Kaiza, Yoong,” Jessica said. Hearing her fiance almost confess to her best friend was not something she wanted the night before her wedding. She saw them from afar and chuckled at Yoona’s restless stance. She knew something was up by the way Heechul hovered over her, so she chose to go near even with the risk of being caught. Well, what Heechul said was reason enough for her to stop the wedding from happening. She looked at the guy behind the two and turned around to go. She just had to get away from here, from him.

“I can’t believe you chose him over Jess. Guess somebody really did take my place,” said a voice from behind them.

Yoona turned around to see the man she had not seen for almost three years, the man she can’t seem to get out of her head and heart. Lee Donghae.

 


Hey ya'll. The plot's been laid down, I've written all the other chapters (as in seriously, I'm down to the last 2 or 3 chapters). This is just going to be a quick story but I hope you all subscribe and vote and comment and whatever. :)) Lots of YoonHae moments to make up for MEIY drama and all. Most characters, as I've said are my favorites. :))

So this is a bit different from all my other stories. For the other subscribers who've known me in MEIY, I'm quite fond of suspense scenes and leaving my readers hanging. This time, because I intend to finish this soon so that I can update MEIY more often, the story's quite fast-paced. Most of the time, I probably wouldn't leave you guys with questions in your head. Or so I think. :)) Please do comment on what your favorite part of the chapter is. Tell me all what you think about the story itself. Did you think I made a bad decision by doing this to this character? Or was it cool that I did this? Tell me! :)

 

P.S. The chapters are a mixture of all the characters' perspectives because I want to convey what they really feel. Tell me tell me tell me what you think. :D Do tell me what you think of my writing style. My style changed a lot while I was writing this and so I have no idea if it's a good thing or a bad thing. I beg you guys to comment. :)) THANK YOU! Love ya'll.