Baby

The Chase

“Yoona, can’t you think this through?” Jessica asked worriedly. She was watching her best friend dart from one side of the room to another, packing all her things.

“I have thought this through,” Yoona said as she folded her dresses and stuffed them to a big bag.

“Yeah. Last night as you were crying over your boyfriend,” Jessica scoffed.

“Jess,” she stopped packing and looked at her best friend intently. “I’m sorry it’s such a short notice. But this is Kahika. Jess. Rogue Kahika. Chief designer. You know how much I wanted that position ever since.” She walked towards Jessica and wrapped her arms around her. “I’m really sorry for leaving you all of a sudden.”

Jessica hugged her back and together, they packed her things. After a while, Jessica said, “How coincidental it is that the day you receive the big offer, you find out that your boyf-“ she stopped when she saw Yoona’s body tensed. “You know, you have to stop running away,” she said quietly.

She turned to look at Jessica who was holding the picture of her and Donghae. “I’m not-“

“Yes you are, Yoona. You are running away,” Jessica sighed. How many times had she packed Yoona’s things because she was running away from a problem? “Instead of slapping your boyfriend for cheating on you, you choose to run away.”

“Jess, I can’t- I can’t bear to see him again. I know it’s so shallow but I just can’t take it anymore. I can’t bear to see him and be reminded of all the pain once again.”

“I know Yoong. You’ve been hurt too much. I’m not stopping you from going. I just want you to think this over before you dive into it.”

“If it’s the job, there’s nothing much to think through actually. I’m sending them my answer tomorrow, as soon as I settle in.”

Jessica sighed. “Where?”

“A hotel, for the mean time.”

Silence hung over them as they loaded Yoona’s bag with her things.

“What will happen to the two?” Jessica said, referring to Sungyeol and L.

“Sungyeol has a stable job so I’m not that worried with him. It’s Myungsoo that I’m worried about. He can’t be at the site with Sungyeol.”

“I can take care of him for a while. But Yoong, he’s practically attached to you. He’ll be asking for you before we can even say Kahika.”

“I know,” Yoona said sadly. “I really don’t know how I’ll be able to take being without him too.”

“Are you really sure you have thought of this thoroughly enough?”

“Yeah, Jess. I’ll tell Sungyeol that once the mall is done and I’ve settled in, they can follow me in Kahika. Actually, I’m already planning on taking Myungsoo with me once I’ve settled in.”

“I don’t think Sungyeol would be able to take that.”

“Sungyeol would get a kick at it. He didn’t really have much time being a teenager.” She turned to look at Jessica and said. “You can come too, if you like.”

“Yoong, I have work.” Jessica sighed. She wanted to go with her badly. She needed to run away too. From her work, from the stress...from Heechul.

“You’re one of the best in your field Jess, I’m sure there’d be a lot of companies in Kahika that would be willing to take you.”

Jessica chuckled and went to hug Yoona. “Thank you. I’ll think it through.”

“I’d be saving a room for you,” Yoona said as she patted her best friend’s back.

 

After they’ve packed her essentials, they stood in the kitchen and shared a snack.

“What about Donghae?” Jessica asked as she stood up and went to the fridge.

“I- I don’t know,” Yoona said hesitantly. She didn’t know what to do with him yet. She didn’t know what to feel. What she did know is that she wanted to get away, away from him.

“When’s he bound to come back?”

“Tomorrow morning or maybe the afternoon.”

“I am kicking his for you, right?” Jessica chuckled.

“Just- just don’t tell him where I’d be, alright?” Yoona said sternly. She didn’t want him to find her any time soon.

“Alright. Do I tell him why you went away though?” Jessica said.

“No. Don’t tell him.” She sighed. “Jess, you’re the only one who knows about what happened alright? Even Sungyeol wouldn’t know.”

“What are you telling your brother?”

“That I’m going to go on a vacation. I’m sure he’d be the first one Donghae would be talking to once he finds out I’ve gone. I’ll tell Yeolie after things...calm down.”

Jessica sighed as she sat beside her best friend. “This would probably be the first time we’d be so far apart.”

“An airplane ride apart,” Yoona sighed.

 

 

 

She plopped back down to the bed, feeling as if her life had been drained from her. Two months had already passed since she transferred to Kahika. She immediately bought a condo unit after she signed the contract with Rogue Kahika. Rogue Kahika apparently had a different administration than the other franchises. It worked separately from the others. Most of the designs here were usually one of a kind and could only be found in Kahika. She had accepted the position of chief designer and her life had been a rollercoaster ride ever since. For her, it was a good thing though. The best distraction she’d ever had in her life.

Donghae left Kaiza two weeks after she did. She heard from Jess that he changed by a lot after she left. He had pestered Jessica multiple times, begging for her to tell him where she is. After failed attempts, he gave up. He left the flat and went to stay at the site instead. Sungyeol told accounts of how he would snap at anybody he sees. He’d be grumpy the whole morning, and unapproachable the whole day. He left after a few weeks and transferred the project to Sungyeol’s name.

She chuckled as she heard Myungsoo squealing from laughter outside the room. She took Myungsoo with her after the little accident at the site. Sungyeol was working and Myungsoo was left with one of their neighbors. Nobody knew how but Myungsoo managed to escape the neighbor’s supervision and ran towards a store. A worker from the site saw him and brought him back with him. Myungsoo got too excited upon seeing Sungyeol and ran towards him. Unfortunately, the child tripped over one of the cords and almost hit his head if not for the worker nearby who caught him before he fell. She took Myungsoo after Sungyeol refused to go back to the site to work, not wanting to leave Myungsoo unattended. Myungsoo had been with her for weeks, sometimes in a day care, most often with her in her office. The administration allowed him there after he had proven that he wasn’t much of a nuisance especially with his iPad on hand. Actually, he had been the office’s baby. Most of her workers would visit him in her office and give him treats.

 

“Omma.” Yoona startled as she heard Myungsoo calling for her. She stood up and went to the living room.

“Yes, L?” She had started to catch Sungyeol’s nickname for the kid.

“Appa?” Myungsoo asked sadly, his hand stretched outwards. She took out her phone and dialed Sungyeol’s number.

“Noona?” Sungyeol answered from the other line.

“Myungsoo wants to talk to you,” she smiled as she handed over the phone to Myungsoo. This was their nightly ritual. The attachment Myungsoo has to Sungyeol was far more than any of them had ever imagined.

She left the two to talk as she went to the kitchen to prepare their dinner. She still feels that stab of pain every time she thought of Donghae. It was worse than before, because this time, she knew he was playing her. That phone call, the girl she saw, it all fit. It was worse than before, because now, she doubts if he really did love her. The girl she saw at the Lee residence must be Tiffany. His ‘business’.

“Omma, no cwai (cry).” She jumped as she heard Myungsoo’s voice behind her. She quickly brought up a hand and felt the tears streaming down. She wiped them off and chuckled as she bent down to gather the child in her arms.

“Omma miss appa?” Myungsoo said, taking her face into his little hands.

She nodded and kissed the child on the cheek, “Good thing baby L is here.”

Myungsoo smiled and wrapped his short arms around her neck. “L take caiw (care) omma.”

“I love you, baby.”

“Wobyu omma.”

 

 

“Yoona?” Eun Jong peeked from her door. When she transferred to Kahika, she personally requested that her team transfer as well. Heechul refused, not wanting to be away from Jessica.

“Yes?” She glanced up from her drawing pad.

“Uhm, I think we have a problem.”

“Hmmm?” She said distractedly.

“Uh, Yoona? L’s gone.”

She nodded and stopped short when she realized what Eun Jong had said. She quickly turned her head to the girl standing in front of her door. From behind her, the other staff was looking at Yoona, worry and fear in their faces. “What?” she almost screamed.

“He- well, he went with Key and me to the lobby to receive the new fabrics. We, we don’t know what happened. One moment, he was just standing beside me. I just took a moment to sign the papers but when I turned back to him, he- he was gone. We looked for him everywhere. He- he was nowhere to be found.” Eun Jong’s head was hung low. Fear and guilt creeping up to her.

“Oh. My. God.”

“Yoo- Yoona. I- We-“ She paused and stole a glance at her boss. Yoona was unmoving, both hands covering . It looked like she was near to tears. “Sorry.”

 


This is so lame. I'm so sorry. I'm not good with endings. I have no idea how to end this one. Haha. I don't know when I'll be free again. But I promise to finish this fic within next month. Happy reading. Tell me what you think. :)